Thread: Rotate the Sahara

Default Rotate the Sahara

The Sahara is ridiculous. There's so little room for overflow that during Radiohead's set after we left due to sound issues, the amount of people overflowing out the back of the stage was up the ramp towards the Do Lab. It's dangerous and just causes congestion. Why not rotate it so it faces towards the main stage? There's open space and it would allow for people to spill out the back. Thoughts?

Default Re: Rotate the Sahara

Maybe you should try checking out different stages. The Sahara is Coachella's bug zapper.

That's not a bad idea but it doesn't address the underlying problem. The tent just isn't big enough to accommodate the demand. They need to add another full size stage or tent that is specifically for EDM and split that crowd up. Force some tough choices on them. Make them choose between Martin Garrix and DJ Snake.

It's a terrible idea to rotate the Sahara! Just imagine the sound bleed. It would be like the Sahara puking all over the festival.

I checked out every stage this year, and I had artists I wanted to see the in Sahara, like Kaytranada and Skepta (both were great). I Don't think sound bleed would be an issue considering how far away it is from both the main stage and the outdoor now. Maybe if they rotated it, they could make it a bit wider or longer too.

Quote Originally Posted by RillBill View Post
    I checked out every stage this year, and I had artists I wanted to see the in Sahara, like Kaytranada and Skepta (both were great). I Don't think sound bleed would be an issue considering how far away it is from both the main stage and the outdoor now. Maybe if they rotated it, they could make it a bit wider or longer too.
    I could hear the Sahara from my camping spot in lot 7. I also heard the Mojave during Warpaint and Main Stage during whoever was playing at that time. I think the sound bleed only affects the quieter artists or quiet times at other stages. Could anyone hear Justice during New Order? That seemed like it would be an issue.
    10' - 11' - 12' W2 - 13' W1 - 14' W1 - 15' W1 - 16' W1 - 17' W1

You're not on the lineup no one wants to see u dj. Stop. Especially if you're going to play Calvin Harris u fuckin knob... - Reeber

RESPECT THE FORMULA - Guedita

With the southern expansion likely next year do we think that it's more likely that a) the Sahara changes orientation to allow more people or b) they just move the bigger Sahara artists to the second outdoor theater

If we rotate it fast enough can it just spin off into oblivion, taking the people under with it?

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    If we rotate it fast enough can it just spin off into oblivion, taking the people under with it?
    Get working with the engineers for next year. Make it happen.

officially over the sahara if they dont expand it. Empire of the sun plus mac miller had people all the way back to the stones/palm trees as well as many other acts. Simply no room and not fun anymore. Plus they did a terrible job this year with having little artist crossovers making the mess worse. if you want to see a set in there you have to get there 15 minutes early now.

I dont know what GV was thinking this year with there set times in hindsight.

Plus why do they shut down outdoor stage so early? pretty disappointing
    Last edited by craigmcgrouther; 04-19-2017 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by M0D3Z View Post
    I could hear the Sahara from my camping spot in lot 7. I also heard the Mojave during Warpaint and Main Stage during whoever was playing at that time. I think the sound bleed only affects the quieter artists or quiet times at other stages. Could anyone hear Justice during New Order? That seemed like it would be an issue.
    True, there was some sound bleed at some sets I went to. It seems like an unsolvable problem, it is pretty inevitable after all. I never thought it was unbearable though, especially once the music started playing. Regardless, SOMETHING needs to be done about the Sahara. Maybe the new rumored stage can fix it. But man, some of the crowds as others have mentioned were outright atrocious. I was honestly to scared to venture in there sometimes.

In 2006, I could hear Daft Punk playing in the Sahara from the parking lot. Get over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Rotating the Sahara to the direction suggested would mean people in the VIP rose garden would be behind the stage. That wouldn't fly.
    What used to be my YouTube Channel before dozens of my Coachella footage were flagged for copyright and my channel was terminated, erasing 10 years of Coachella and live concert history (that I recorded) from the internet.
    http://www.youtube.com/magmazing

better idea, just shrink the people as they go into the sahara and expand them when they exit. it'll fit more little people
    2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012: II, 2013: I, 2014: I, 2015: I, 2017: II

The shrink ray from the people mover at Disneyland has gotta be in storage somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    The shrink ray from the people mover at Disneyland has gotta be in storage somewhere.
    Don't you mean Monsanto's Ride through Inner Space?
    I have been to concerts. I will go to concerts in the future.