Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Thread: Coachella 2019 Confirmations/Rumors

Default Re: Coachella 2019 Confirmations/Rumors

So with Elton John now playing 6 LA shows in Jan/Feb, I think it’s pretty safe to say he’s out.
    Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    Uhh, Gil Scott-Heron is kinda dead, dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymous96 View Post
    Whoops lol, that's what happens with my piss poor knowledge of rap

old school

Nobody fucking wants these. It's not happening. Do you know how outdated that kind of pop music is?
    Of course NSync or Spice are a joke now. But it won't stop the forum gushing over a Destiny Child reunion or Timberlake ever headlining and doing early stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueBus View Post
    Fri - Billy Joel >> Paul Simon >> Elton John
    Sat - Steely Dan >> Fleetwood Mac >> The Eagles
    Sun - Eric Clapton >> Robert Plant >> Bruce Springsteen
    Elton is busy in October 2018. Already ruled out for Coachella 2019.

Azoff vs. AEG for all of Saturday. Eagles have a Sept 12 Forum date.

So with Elton John now playing 6 LA shows in Jan/Feb, I think it’s pretty safe to say he’s out.
    Well, so much for all that talk then... thanks for nothing GV!

Quote Originally Posted by silver06 View Post
    I could see The National possibly still in play for next year. Seeing Bon Iver come around again this summer for Bonnaroo and Sasquatch shows the length live acts can get out of album cycles. They are heavily rumored for Lolla this summer, so doubt they have any issue against "large corporate" festivals, I'd bet they just didn't play this year because of preparations for their Homecoming festival in Cincinnati the week after Coachella. Assuming that doesn't happen again, I wouldn't be surprised if they subbed.
    Agree. Radiohead played a year after AMSP came out. Granted, The National probably aren't headlining material but not sure that makes a difference. Could still see them getting booked next year, especially after everyone seems to think Coachella totally dropped the ball by not booking them this year.

Beach House are likely now with the announcement of their next album. Where do you see them get billed after their 2016 slot?
    Last edited by anonymous96; 02-18-2018 at 09:18 PM.

Not taking into account he will probably do a stadium date in a few cities including l.a. on his next round.

Beach House are likely now with the announcement of their next album. Where do you see them get billed after their 2016 slot?
    They weren't so happy with the sound bleed / crowd attention span last time. I doubt they'll come back...

Quote Originally Posted by clleadz View Post
    They weren't so happy with the sound bleed / crowd attention span last time. I doubt they'll come back...
    Is sound bleed much of an issue any more? With last year's stage moves, I don't recall noticing any. Don't think anything can be done about those attention spans, though.

Looking at the repeat acts from this years lineup, there's more from 2015 than any other year (I think I counted 15.) A 3 year span is probably normal, as that's a pretty average timeframe between albums for many bands/artists. So with that said, in theory, there could be a heavy does of acts from 2016 that show up next year.

Artists that either have recent new material or are working on new album:
    Of Monsters and Men
    Lord Huron
    CHVRCHES
    James Bay
    Moon Taxi
    Wolf Alice
    Alessia Cara
    Zella Day

Artists I don't think have any scheduled new material but who I wouldn't mind see return:
    The Kills
    Gary Clark Jr.
    Bat for Lashes
    Edward Sharpe + Magnetic Zeros

Presale word is ROXANNE
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueBus View Post
    Looking at the repeat acts from this years lineup, there's more from 2015 than any other year (I think I counted 15.) A 3 year span is probably normal, as that's a pretty average timeframe between albums for many bands/artists. So with that said, in theory, there could be a heavy does of acts from 2016 that show up next year.

Artists that either have recent new material or are working on new album:
    Of Monsters and Men
    Lord Huron
    CHVRCHES
    James Bay
    Moon Taxi
    Wolf Alice
    Alessia Cara
    Zella Day

Artists I don't think have any scheduled new material but who I wouldn't mind see return:
    The Kills
    Gary Clark Jr.
    Bat for Lashes
    Edward Sharpe + Magnetic Zeros
    I could also see Anderson .Paak & The Free Nationals, Grimes, Rhye, A$AP Rocky, George FitzGerald, Sasha (in the form of Sasha b2b Digweed), Courtney Barnett, GoGo Penguin, RUFUS DU SOUL, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Nina Kraviz, DJ Koze and Beach House making a return.

Anderson and Rufus feel like inevitable second liners next time they have an album, for which 2019 seems about right. People have said Beach House didn't like Coachella last time around, I read one interview and it didn't sound nearly as negative as others have said.

Quote Originally Posted by eagleskyline View Post
    I could also see Anderson .Paak & The Free Nationals, Grimes, Rhye, A$AP Rocky, George FitzGerald, Sasha (in the form of Sasha b2b Digweed), Courtney Barnett, GoGo Penguin, RUFUS DU SOUL, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Nina Kraviz, DJ Koze and Beach House making a return.
    Yeah forgot ASAP for sure. I think Joey Badass has something new in the works as well.

old school

Second liner high likelihood:

-Chvrches
    -Anderson Paak.
    -Rae Sremmurd
    -ASAP Rocky
    -The 1975
    -Marshmello (sadly PT said he was "long on Marshmello" last year and the dude successfully pivoted from a novelty to a pop superhouse)
    -Vampire Weekend (I think they can sub next year now if they accept 5-8 billing at Lolla, I'm on board)
    -RL Grime / ZHU
    -Khalid

GV faves If they're ready:

-Alabama Shakes
    -Disclosure
    -A Diplo Project (Jack U / Major Lazer)
    -Run the Jewels (RTJ4 is coming...)
    -Grimes (second line promotion?)
    -Beach House (maybe they sign an FYF/Coachella contract but I really think they take a cycle off Coachella)

Potential come back around late in their cycle like Fleet Foxes or alt-J this year:

-The National
    -Grizzly Bear
    -Yeah Yeah Yeahs
    -Dua Lipa (could have a new album though)
    -NERD

Take 10-12 of those, add a high riser or two we can't predict at this point, add 1-2 acts that come around quicker than we expect, and 1-2 rare acts that are hard to predict, and POOF your second lines next year

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    Anderson and Rufus feel like inevitable second liners next time they have an album, for which 2019 seems about right. People have said Beach House didn't like Coachella last time around, I read one interview and it didn't sound nearly as negative as others have said.
    I always take those festival comments lightly. Didn't Justin Vernon bash festivals, yet has gone on to play a ton this cycle? Beach House seems to enjoy playing festivals, and I can't imagine they'd turn down a good paycheck for Coachella.

Quote Originally Posted by silver06 View Post
    Second liner high likelihood:

-Chvrches
    -Anderson Paak.
    -Rae Sremmurd
    -ASAP Rocky
    -The 1975
    -Marshmello (sadly PT said he was "long on Marshmello" last year and the dude successfully pivoted from a novelty to a pop superhouse)
    -Vampire Weekend (I think they can sub next year now if they accept 5-8 billing at Lolla, I'm on board)
    -RL Grime / ZHU
    -Khalid

GV faves If they're ready:

-Alabama Shakes
    -Disclosure
    -A Diplo Project (Jack U / Major Lazer)
    -Run the Jewels (RTJ4 is coming...)
    -Grimes (second line promotion?)
    -Beach House (maybe they sign an FYF/Coachella contract but I really think they take a cycle off Coachella)

Potential come back around late in their cycle like Fleet Foxes or alt-J this year:

-The National
    -Grizzly Bear
    -Yeah Yeah Yeahs
    -Dua Lipa (could have a new album though)
    -NERD

Take 10-12 of those, add a high riser or two we can't predict at this point, add 1-2 acts that come around quicker than we expect, and 1-2 rare acts that are hard to predict, and POOF your second lines next year
    I don't think it's too cut and dry yet. For example, barely anyone predicted Jamiroquai (until they were leaked), David Byrne (until it came out he was touring) or A Perfect Circle. I'd hope for at least one or two surprises.
    Last edited by eagleskyline; 02-21-2018 at 11:39 AM.

Regarding Fleet Foxes and alt-J, all second liners (aside from Jamiroquai) released new albums between Coachellas so I think acts like N.E.R.D, Grizzly Bear, The National, Moon Taxi and Lord Huron are probably a bit too late to play with their current cycle.

Some other names to consider include...

The Chemical Brothers (new live show)
    Interpol
    21 Savage
    Lil Uzi Vert
    Logic
    Sigur Rós
    Robyn
    Black Star
    Bebe Rexha
    Charli XCX
    Carly Rae Jepsen
    Childish Gambino
    D’Angelo
    The Prodigy
    Troye Sivan
    Blood Orange
    Sky Ferreira
    FKA twigs

Also, I fully expect the lack of big alternative/indie/rock names to continue next year looking at who’ll probably be available.
    Last edited by TickleMeElmo; 02-21-2018 at 11:45 AM.
    Uhh, Gil Scott-Heron is kinda dead, dude.
    Whoops lol, that's what happens with my piss poor knowledge of rap

I’m perplexed about what happened with fka Twigs. She played several new songs during her tour in 2016, teased a new album...and then nothing.

So the bigger the artist (headliner material I guess) the more leeway Coachella probably has booking them late after their last album? Radiohead might have been an anomaly with being booked almost a whole year after AMSP. But unless The Weeknd drops something unexpected in the next few months, Starboy will be even older than that, so idk.