Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 484950515253
Results 1,561 to 1,590 of 1590

Thread: Coachella 2019 Confirmations/Rumors

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

Default Re: Coachella 2019 Confirmations/Rumors

Quote Originally Posted by silver06 View Post
    Do you mean bigger as in a larger crowd (in which case you may be correct) or bigger as in literally anything else (in which case you are wrong)?
    Larger crowd
    More articles about
    More social media hype/discussion
    More people puttting a Star next to JT on the Coachella app
    Less people making a point to see Aphex Twin during his set vs the people who CANT wait to see Virtual Self during Rolling Stones
    Last edited by WhyTheLongFace; Yesterday at 09:14 PM.

Kacey Musgaves and Soccer Mommy announced non-GV dates together in February in L.A.

Odd, I would have penciled both in. I could still see them bending the radius clause for Soccer Mommy, though.
    http://www.goldenvoice.com/#/event/357868

Umm, those shows are Goldenvoice Presents shows. I think youre assuming anything at The Ace Hotel is Live Nation? Its not, they arent controlled by anyone so theyll book shows from whatever promoter, similar to the Orpheum.

These shows will sell out and both of them could easily be at Coachella. Kacey probably shouldve done all 3 weekends this year.

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Larger crowd
    More articles about
    More people puttting a Star next to JT on the Coachella act
    Less people making a point to see Aphex Twin during his set vs the people who CANT wait to see Virtual Self during Rolling Stones
    The Stones would end up like GNR, its just this thing you gotta see. Every single basic girl will have a fucking tongue stones shirt, just like all of em had GNR gear 2 years ago. Think Mick Jagger cares if he gets more retweets than Timberlake? The hype on JT will be if N Sync comes out, just like Destinys Child for Beyonce.
    Last edited by superfan; Yesterday at 09:14 PM.

Let's talk undercard for a minute:

-With new albums from Chem Bros, Orbital, Chromatics and (sort of) Pendulum, along with the supposed confirm of Aphex, this could be one of the best dance undercards ever!

-Don't care for The 1975, but even without tour dates yet those album release dates seem to make them an easy lock. And IMO, a lock for sub

-How high would Grimes get placed with another great album? Guaranteed second line, but high enough to be 3rd?

-Underworld & Iggy's song is hilarious, I'd love to see them play a show together. Looking forward to Teatime Dub Encounters

old school

Larger crowd
    More articles about
    More people puttting a Star next to JT on the Coachella app
    Completely disagree, but we won't have to worry about it, so cheers to having a different opinion.

I would be SO pumped in Aphex is during JT, but so disappointed if he's during the "rock headliner" (that probably isn't happening). Sample size of 1, though

old school

Quote Originally Posted by rousse View Post
    Turnstile or bust. Would be disappointed if GV doesn't work it out.
    Code Orange. The Sidekicks. White Reaper. Hop Along. Against Me! The Menzingers (finally). Rozwell Kid. Title Fight. Touche Amore. Joyce Manor. La Dispute. Foxing. Citizen. Call Will Yip and ask if how many of his bands - if more than 0 - want to play Coachella.
    This is 101 shit, so I'm not saying anything unique, but hoping GV is on it.

Turnstile or bust. Would be disappointed if GV doesn't work it out.
    Code Orange. The Sidekicks. White Reaper. Hop Along. Against Me! The Menzingers (finally). Rozwell Kid. Title Fight. Touche Amore. Joyce Manor. La Dispute. Foxing. Citizen. Call Will Yip and ask if how many of his bands - if more than 0 - want to play Coachella.
    This is 101 shit, so I'm not saying anything unique, but hoping GV is on it.
    We’re gonna get one or two of these at most, probably Turnstile and Hop Along.
    Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    Uhh, Gil Scott-Heron is kinda dead, dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymous96 View Post
    Whoops lol, that's what happens with my piss poor knowledge of rap

old school

Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    We’re gonna get one or two of these at most, probably Turnstile and Hop Along.
    Haha I know unfortunately. I also totally agree those are the two most likely. Turnstile want to be really big and getting on the poster helps with mainer-stream success. Hop Along also will be mind numbing if they don't play this year.

I think Foxing and White Reaper have a chance, especially since Foxing is going for the "fuck it, let's do it and be legends" feeling on the new LP.

Against Me! has a new record out late this year or early 2019 and a boy can dream (they'd literally be one of my top few choices on the poster) but I'm also not gonna get disappointed.

Lol can’t believe people still give a shit about Turnstile

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    Metallica played 3 stadium shows in Texas in 2017. Plus Austin isn't directly flight/travel friendly as LA.
    That would be a terrific point, if Coachella were in LA.
    2004-2005-2006-2008-2012b-2013a-2014a-2016a-2017a

Wasn't there a Tollett quote 5-6 years ago about having enough Coachella demand to fill 3-4 weekends?
    5-6 years ago
    5-6 years ago
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by rousse View Post

-With new albums from Chem Bros, Orbital, Chromatics and (sort of) Pendulum, along with the supposed confirm of Aphex, this could be one of the best dance undercards ever!

-Don't care for The 1975, but even without tour dates yet those album release dates seem to make them an easy lock. And IMO, a lock for sub

-How high would Grimes get placed with another great album? Guaranteed second line, but high enough to be 3rd?

-Underworld & Iggy's song is hilarious, I'd love to see them play a show together. Looking forward to Teatime Dub Encounters
    Would love if this is finally the year we get a bunch of huge 2nd line rare electronic acts....We always talk about it every year and it never "truly" happens although they throw a few bones here and there. Honestly...Please just let this be the year we get Chem Bros return to close outdoor.

Agree that disappointingly the 1975 seems likely IMO. I'd bet on Sub or not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by iamthehorn View Post
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Yes, that quote came a few years ago. The lineup has since gotten poppier, and coincidentally demand has gone down. That’s kinda the point.
    Last edited by braundiggity; Today at 07:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    Yes, that quote came a few years ago. The lineup has since gotten poppier and less diverse, and coincidentally demand has gone down. That’s kinda the point.
    Explain to me how demand has gone down since 2013. This year was at worst the second most attended Coachella ever off l2017's #1.

Explain to me how demand has gone down since 2013. This year was at worst the second most attended Coachella ever off l2017's #1.
    Supply.

Coachella’s ship rose with the EDM bubble. GV acted like that bubble popped this year and chose to replace traditionally edm acts on second/third lines with pop/hip hop.

For this reason, Coachella had less demand this year. People want to go to coachella and take drugs. Edm is music for people on drugs. Great fit. EDM making it to top 40 was the perfect bridge for the masses to cross into festival land.

SZA, Beyoncé, Cardi b, migos etc don’t seem to fit into the festival culture like Calvin Harris, Swedish House mafia, or skrillex.

Lol considering 2 of those acts had the 2 biggest crowd. EDM will always have a place at Coachella. It just isn’t the biggest thing currently

The people I knew who typically attended the fest and raved about it for the past 5 years said this years lineup was god awful and chose not to go. The people who went, said the vibes of the crowd were bad and people seemed very disinterested.

So the people who go for Odesza, Justice, Calvin Harris, disclosure etc aren’t liking the crowds that Beyoncé, Eminem, sza, migos, cardi b, etc are bringing

So we get big crowds for These acts but energy is dead and Coachella magic Dias appears for the ravers and hipsters. This is not a formula for success

Meh. Your same friends would be back if SHM, Disclosure, LSD & RL Grime are on the lineup even if they “lost the magic”

Coachella is fucking huge and while they have to be a trendsetter they also have to ride popularity to sell 250K tickets

Quote Originally Posted by Whatlies1 View Post
    The people I knew who typically attended the fest and raved about it for the past 5 years said this years lineup was god awful and chose not to go. The people who went, said the vibes of the crowd were bad and people seemed very disinterested.

So the people who go for Odesza, Justice, Calvin Harris, disclosure etc aren’t liking the crowds that Beyoncé, Eminem, sza, migos, cardi b, etc are bringing

So we get big crowds for These acts but energy is dead and Coachella magic Dias appears for the ravers and hipsters. This is not a formula for success
    I just totally disagree with this. It's a really short-sighted view into festival culture, attendees, and Coachella in general. If you are an EDC raver who only goes to a festival to take drugs (you are the EXCEPTION not the rule here by the way), then just go to those EDM festivals.

There are tons of people out there who have cross-genre music tastes and will have a blast at EDM/Yuma/hip-hop/pop whatever you name it. Don't think of things in such a genre-siloed fashion and maybe things will make a bit more sense.

If in 2013 PT said they had enough demand for 3 or 4 coachella's, that's 300-400k tickets. This year, attendance was something in the range of 230-240k, from what people have said. That's a reduction in demand.

Less immediately measurable is presale, but this is the first year as far as I know that they didn't sell out of both weekend GA-only passes in the presale. It's less measurable because we don't know how many GA-only passes were available, but the presale had never lasted 12+ hours until this year, when it only ended because it didn't end up selling out that day. Reduced demand.

If in 2013 PT said they had enough demand for 3 or 4 coachella's, that's 300-400k tickets. This year, attendance was something in the range of 230-240k, from what people have said. That's a reduction in demand.

Less immediately measurable is presale, but this is the first year as far as I know that they didn't sell out of both weekend GA-only passes in the presale. It's less measurable because we don't know how many GA-only passes were available, but the presale had never lasted 12+ hours until this year, when it only ended because it didn't end up selling out that day. Reduced demand.
    To be fair you’re comparing an ambitious quote to actually physical data to say demand is reduced. That’s only works if 2013 300-400k were sold.

Also again we don’t know capacity and how many presage was available. Also if the lineup is anywhere close to good it will sell out again. Not selling out will be the factor

We get caught up with and stuck in the idea that the size of a headliner's crowd reflects demand for the festival, but it's the wrong way to look at it. Let's take 2016. LCD Soundsystem and GNR were far from the most crowded sets of the weekend, but they brought in people who may not have otherwise gone. If LCD had 25,000 people in attendance each weekend and 10,000 of them came because LCD was on the lineup, that's more useful than booking Swedish House Mafia instead and simply catering to the same 80,000 people who were already into Calvin Harris.

Similarly, I believe that booking The Weeknd - while huge - didn't have much of an impact on sales. They'd already reeled in that crowd with the Beyonce booking. If they'd booked an Arctic Monkeys-type act (or a Bjork, or some other niche headliner), that act would've had a significantly smaller audience than The Weeknd, but might've had more of an impact on sales/attendance because it'd be drawing in a new crowd.

My point in all of this is not that pop has no place at the fest, but that to sustain 250,000 people attending, you need to cater to a variety of audiences, and that didn't happen with the headliners this year. Pop cannot sustain a festival on its own or as the primary focus of the fest, which is why there are no pop-focused festivals.
    Last edited by braundiggity; Today at 11:28 AM.

To be fair you’re comparing an ambitious quote to actually physical data to say demand is reduced. That’s only works if 2013 300-400k were sold.

Also again we don’t know capacity and how many presage was available. Also if the lineup is anywhere close to good it will sell out again. Not selling out will be the factor
    Totally - lots of unknowables. But it's silly to think there aren't at least signs of reduced demand.

There was one obvious thing that wasnt there during the presale, knowing that Beyonce would be on the line up. If they had one big name announced every year beforehand to lure ticketbuyers, demand would be sustained. I would say a huge percentage of attendees that came just for beyonce will not return again. And is anyone taking into account that theres a higher capacity next year, thus more inventory and that takes time to sell? At least after next year the cap stays the same.

If I told you I was 10 feet tall, but then when I met you in person I was only 6, would you conclude that I shrunk 4 feet?

Right, and the quote was made circa 2013, when there was barely enough *actual* demand to fill two weekends at a lower capacity.

It will be difficult to continuously sell 250k tickets to this fest, but it is still on firmer footing than basically every other US fest. This chicken little mentality some of you have is crazy to me.
    Last edited by iamthehorn; Today at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whatlies1 View Post
    Coachella’s ship rose with the EDM bubble. GV acted like that bubble popped this year and chose to replace traditionally edm acts on second/third lines with pop/hip hop.

For this reason, Coachella had less demand this year. People want to go to coachella and take drugs. Edm is music for people on drugs. Great fit. EDM making it to top 40 was the perfect bridge for the masses to cross into festival land.

SZA, Beyoncé, Cardi b, migos etc don’t seem to fit into the festival culture like Calvin Harris, Swedish House mafia, or skrillex.
    This sounds like an outsider looking in. Have you ever been? Coachella rose with the rise of festivals being the thing to do. EDM or electronic music in general has been a part of the festival before EDM was huge. Calvin Harris was booked at Coachella before any So Cal EDM festival would book him and he played with his band live.

The crowds were vastly different as there were a giant amount just there for Beyoncé, maybe they checked some other radio artists, but there were massive gaps and holes in the crowd. Camping is the prime example of the crowd this year, it was not the same. Now, did that ruin the festival? no. I saw more people I have never seen before and got great spots for all of them. This line up was the weakest for my taste in the 9 years I have been, but I still had fun and enjoyed the growth.

There is always next year and I am sure I will look back at this past years line up in 4-5 years and say to myself "How the fuck did I miss out on artists X?"
    10' - 11' - 12' W2 - 13' W1 - 14' W1 - 15' W1 - 16' W1 - 17' W1

You're not on the lineup no one wants to see u dj. Stop. Especially if you're going to play Calvin Harris u fuckin knob... - Reeber

RESPECT THE FORMULA - Guedita

We get caught up with and stuck in the idea that the size of a headliner's crowd reflects demand for the festival, but it's the wrong way to look at it. Let's take 2016. LCD Soundsystem and GNR were far from the most crowded sets of the weekend, but they brought in people who may not have otherwise gone. If LCD had 25,000 people in attendance each weekend and 10,000 of them came because LCD was on the lineup, that's more useful than booking Swedish House Mafia instead and simply catering to the same 80,000 people who were already into Calvin Harris.

Similarly, I believe that booking The Weeknd - while huge - didn't have much of an impact on sales. They'd already reeled in that crowd with the Beyonce booking. If they'd booked an Arctic Monkeys-type act (or a Bjork, or some other niche headliner), that act would've had a significantly smaller audience than The Weeknd, but might've had more of an impact on sales/attendance because it'd be drawing in a new crowd.

My point in all of this is not that pop has no place at the fest, but that to sustain 250,000 people attending, you need to cater to a variety of audiences, and that didn't happen with the headliners this year. Pop cannot sustain a festival on its own or as the primary focus of the fest, which is why there are no pop-focused festivals.
    Solid insight.

The Weeknd has been touring regularly throughout his career. Even his biggest fans probably didn't "need to see him at Coachella" the way an EDM crowd would need to see their favorite DJ's play specifically at Coachella. As much as I think the 3 headliners this year were very strong, the Weeknd probably didn't move the needle all that much.

If I told you I was 10 feet tall, but then when I met you in person I was only 6, would you conclude that I shrunk 4 feet?
    I suppose I'm unclear on the point of your original post that I was responding to. Sure, he probably exaggerated, but at the same time if demand wasn't significantly greater than two weekends or growing at a huge pace then they took a hell of a risk in expanding. Believing there was demand for three weekends isn't that crazy.

It will be difficult to continuously sell 250k tickets to this fest, but it is still on firmer footing than basically every other US fest. This chicken little mentality some of you have is crazy to me.
    If referring to me, I don't by any means have a "sky is falling" mentality. Yes, it's certainly on the firmest footing of any US fest, and yes, they'll continue to sell a shitload of tickets for years, but I've seen demand for multiple other festivals dropping, I'd prefer that not happen here. This whole debate started on the question of whether GV will continue to book mostly pop-focused headliners, and whether it's a good thing for the festival's attendance if they do. The assumption is that because those acts are enormous, they'll lead to continued strong sales. I'm simply suggesting that's shortsighted, and that variety in the headliners would do more to keep the fest sustainable.

I literally said this in my initial post, but by definition there will always be new up and coming pop acts - its a self sustaining cycle. Sure, there's going to be a decade later "lmao Jack Johnson headlined" moment or two, but there's going to be continually new crops of headliners year in and year out. The Weeknd went from being a sub to headlining in one album cycle, when people thought it was ridiculous he was subbing in January 2015. Calvin Harris came back in two years. We all would have laughed at the notion of Childish Gambino headlining this fest 12-18 months ago, now we're taking it as gospel.

Point is, there will ALWAYS be 18-24 year olds and there will ALWAYS be up and coming pop stars to fill the airways, when fogies like us getting into our 30s are going to be not going to this festival soon anyway, regardless of whether we love or hate the lineup. It's like a horror movie, for every "Coachella diehard" off-put by - say - Rihanna/JT/Gambino who vow they are for sure now done with Coachella, there will be five 21 year olds saying "OMG MY DREAM LINEUP" and finally committing to going (vs., say Metallica / Pearl Jam / Bjork keeping the old guard but failing to replenish the young crowd).

They shouldn't be worried about a "lack of pop headliners." There are a number of blockbuster "pop" headliners still available and by definition the pop world will continue seeing The Weeknd's and Gambino's of the world rising up to headliner status. Just saying, I don't love GV doing this, but the more they just rip off the band-aid and shift the top line to pop/rap focus, the easier it'll be to just transition the fest to more of a mainstream (read: long-term sustainable profit maker) event.
    Nail on the head.

Coachella has always skewed a bit poppy too if you realize that pop has at times drawn more heavily from rock, electronic, and hip-hop and that it comes and goes in waves. I think what you guys are actually upset about is that pop music in it's current state is not in line with your tastes. No one was complaining in the mid 2000s when stuff like Franz Ferdinand & James Blunt was charting well and getting huge amounts of pop radio play that Coachella was catering to the pop crowd by booking them.
    Last edited by rdubs23; Today at 12:50 PM.