Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 464748495051
Results 1,501 to 1,529 of 1529

Thread: Coachella 2019 Confirmations/Rumors

  1. #1501
    Member eagleskyline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    643

    Default Re: Coachella 2019 Confirmations/Rumors

    Quote Originally Posted by clleadz View Post
    I wonder how his bandmates feel when they hear those stories for the 300th time
    Quote Originally Posted by M0D3Z View Post
    They feel "Well, the paycheck is still coming in." That's how they feel.
    Pretty much. I'd smile and nod if it meant I'd be getting around a million a year.

  2. #1502
    old school
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,341

    Default Re: Coachella 2019 Confirmations/Rumors

    I saw McCartney 2009/2012/2016 and got a decent amount of variation between tours.

  3. #1503
    old school mikey1313's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    SF <-> LA
    Posts
    3,745

    Default Re: Coachella 2019 Confirmations/Rumors

    I would be more than happy with McCartney returning in 2019, but it's not happening.
    My old account "Mikey1313666" is down for whatever reason.

  4. #1504

    Default Re: Coachella 2019 Confirmations/Rumors

    Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    I saw McCartney 2009/2012/2016 and got a decent amount of variation between tours.
    Still waiting on that spreadsheet.

  5. #1505
    old school
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,341

    Default Re: Coachella 2019 Confirmations/Rumors

    Quote Originally Posted by Vireo's Eye View Post
    Still waiting on that spreadsheet.
    Coachella 2009/Vancouver 2012/Vancouver 2016. 65 unique songs.

    Jet, Drive My Car, Only Mama Knows, Flaming Pie, Got to Get You Into My Life, Let Me Roll It, Honey Hush, Highway, The Long and Winding Road, My Love, Blackbird, Here Today, Dance Tonight, Calico Skies, Mrs. Vandebilt, Eleanor Rigby, Sing the Changes, Band on the Run, Back in the U.S.S.R., Something, I've Got a Feeling, Paperback Writer, A Day in the Life, Let It Be, Live and Let Die, Hey Jude, Birthday, Can't Buy Me Love, Lady Madonna,, Yesterday, Helter Skelter, Get Back, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, The End

    Magical Mystery Tour, Junior's Farm, All My Loving, Jet, Drive My Car, Sing the Changes, The Night Before, Let Me Roll It,, Paperback Writer, The Long and Winding Road, Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five, My Valentine, Maybe I'm Amazed, I've Just Seen a Face, And I Love Her, Blackbird, Here Today, Dance Tonight, Mrs. Vandebilt, Eleanor Rigby, Something, Band on the Run, Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, Back in the U.S.S.R., I've Got a Feeling, A Day in the Life, Let It Be, Live and Let Die, Hey Jude, Lady Madonna, Day Tripper, Get Back, YesterdayMull of Kintyre, Helter Skelter, Golden Slumbers, Carry That Weight, The End

    A Hard Day's Night, Save Us, Can't Buy Me Love, Letting Go, Temporary Secretary, Let Me Roll It, I've Got a Feeling, My Valentine, Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five, Here, There and Everywhere, Maybe I'm Amazed, We Can Work It Out, In Spite of All the Danger, You Won't See Me, Love Me Do, And I Love Her, Blackbird, Here Today, Queenie Eye, New, The Fool on the Hill, Lady Madonna, FourFiveSeconds, Eleanor Rigby, Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!, Something, Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, Band on the Run, Back in the U.S.S.R., Let It Be, Live and Let Die, Hey Jude, Yesterday, Hi, Hi, Hi, Mull of Kintyre, I Saw Her Standing There(with Jimmy Fallon), Golden Slumbers, Carry That Weight, The End

  6. #1506

    Default Re: Coachella 2019 Confirmations/Rumors

    Good work. Now let's cross check concert scarcity versus Metallica, maybe get some attendance and streaming numbers in there, too.

    I want to believe in McCartney '19, lead me there empirically.

  7. #1507

    Default Re: Coachella 2019 Confirmations/Rumors

    Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Lol really? Off two song, throw the whole album away? Lmao
    Three songs in and im saying this album lacks direction. These summer tracks sound like a worse version of Drake. Certainly, the next release(s) won't sound like the summer tracks or This is America...so if its going to be pulling from all over the place like that, Im going to say its not looking good.

    I guess I caught the hype of the recent seasons of Atlanta and combined it with This is America and thought he would do something of a thought provoking, concept album. Flash forward to these Summer Pack songs and that potential is gone.
    Last edited by gam3g3ni3; 07-13-2018 at 09:30 PM.

  8. #1508
    old school
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,341

    Default Re: Coachella 2019 Confirmations/Rumors

    Quote Originally Posted by Vireo's Eye View Post
    I want to believe in McCartney '19, lead me there empirically.
    There are better ways to spend $4-5mil a performance, but how else to you balance something like Timberlake/Gambino? Especially if the Stones aren't happening.

  9. #1509

    Default Re: Coachella 2019 Confirmations/Rumors

    Wow, such variation. And with Jimmy Fallon!

  10. #1510

    Default Re: Coachella 2019 Confirmations/Rumors

    Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    There are better ways to spend $4-5mil a performance, but how else to you balance something like Timberlake/Gambino? Especially if the Stones aren't happening.
    Yeah I think if we are taking Gambino as confirmed (which some may...some may not...), I would pray that they book a 3rd, either legacy or indie rock promotion, that balances those 2 out.

  11. #1511
    old school
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,846

    Default Re: Coachella 2019 Confirmations/Rumors

    Did anybody screenshot or copy Launchy's drunk post confirming Gambino?

    He's obviously been silent since then, but just wondering what he actually said.

  12. #1512

    Default Re: Coachella 2019 Confirmations/Rumors

    Yes, it must be balanced by a rock act that the board enjoys, just like last year's headliners.

  13. #1513
    old school TickleMeElmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    5,293

    Default Re: Coachella 2019 Confirmations/Rumors

    Quote Originally Posted by gam3g3ni3 View Post
    Three songs in and im saying this album lacks direction. These summer tracks sound like a worse version of Drake. Certainly, the next release(s) won't sound like the summer tracks or This is America...so if its going to be pulling from all over the place like that, Im going to say its not looking good.

    I guess I caught the hype of the recent seasons of Atlanta and combined it with This is America and thought he would do something of a thought provoking, concept album. Flash forward to these Summer Pack songs and that potential is gone.
    You’re reading way too much into this, especially since these songs may not even be on the album.
    Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    Uhh, Gil Scott-Heron is kinda dead, dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymous96 View Post
    Whoops lol, that's what happens with my piss poor knowledge of rap

  14. #1514

    Default Re: Coachella 2019 Confirmations/Rumors

    Quote Originally Posted by silver06 View Post
    Did anybody screenshot or copy Launchy's drunk post confirming Gambino?

    He's obviously been silent since then, but just wondering what he actually said.
    Report from the ground: I am at this bar across the hudson from the statue of liberty and some guy tried to climb the statue. All these helicopters above it looks crazy. They closed the street off a few blocks away for fireworks and a free Snoop Dogg concert. Im drunk but Im going to test my valor and stumble over there. The second Civil War has been awesome. By the way two out of three coachella headliners are Gambino and Timberlake. Generalisimo McQuack
    Without going through all the ins and outs of this dude’s bizarre psyche and explaining why this is probably legit, he deleted this post almost immediately and a mod had quote replied to it and that ended up getting deleted as well.
    Last edited by iamthehorn; 07-14-2018 at 03:33 PM.

  15. #1515
    old school
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,341

    Default Re: Coachella 2019 Confirmations/Rumors

    Quote Originally Posted by thefiremind View Post
    Yeah I think if we are taking Gambino as confirmed (which some may...some may not...), I would pray that they book a 3rd, either legacy or indie rock promotion, that balances those 2 out.
    Who??

    JT/Gamb/something like Tame Impala would all be headlining their first major US festival.

    Stones or a Paul repeat would balance out 2 of those names to sell 250,000 wristbands. I don't see Iron Maiden/Metallica working. After that you start running out of obvious names very quickly.

  16. #1516

    Default Re: Coachella 2019 Confirmations/Rumors

    It didn't make sense to "balance" the bill with a rock headliner last year....so they didn't book one. They aren't bringing back McCartney at that price just because they're out of rock options.

  17. #1517
    old school
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,341

    Default Re: Coachella 2019 Confirmations/Rumors

    Quote Originally Posted by Vireo's Eye View Post
    It didn't make sense to "balance" the bill with a rock headliner last year....so they didn't book one. They aren't bringing back McCartney at that price just because they're out of rock options.
    They could chase the Stones again and have Sir thumbs-a-loft as a plan B.

    With a potential JT/CG top line they need something big to complete. You haven't made a single serious suggestion.
    Last edited by Bumblebee; 07-14-2018 at 02:18 PM.

  18. #1518
    old school
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,846

    Default Re: Coachella 2019 Confirmations/Rumors

    Bumble - what you're missing is it's probably somebody big, but doesn't necessarily need to be a rock headliner. They felt no need to book a rock headliner last year for "balance" so that notion is completely off the table.

    If you're making the "booking fee" argument, comparing 2019's headliners to 2018 would have Gambino probably the cheapest behind The Weeknd and JT somewhere along the booking price of Eminem, meaning they'd have a Beyonce sized budget to either book another mega headliner or make the second lines superb (or take a larger shareholder dividend for AEG...). If you're making the "buzz" argument, it's hard to see JT getting a ton of buzz after a dud album and a full year of touring, and Gambino will be the smallest headliner in recent memory, and after a number of festivals and shows in the fall won't have much cache, so the third headliner will probably be big.

    But "balance" is a dumb argument. Just as realistic that it's Adele or Rihanna then it is an REM reunion or the Stones.

  19. #1519

    Default Re: Coachella 2019 Confirmations/Rumors

    Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    They could chase the Stones again and have Sir thumbs-a-loft as a plan B.

    With a potential JT/CG top line they need something big to complete. You haven't made a single serious suggestion.
    What you don't seem to realize is that your "Macca/Stones or bust!" argument is about as useless as making no suggestions at all.

  20. #1520
    old school mikey1313's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    SF <-> LA
    Posts
    3,745

    Default Re: Coachella 2019 Confirmations/Rumors

    Pretty sure I brought this up a few months ago, but is there any reason nobody has brought up U2 at all? I know they're signed with Live Nation, but isn't Justin Timberlake with LN as well? I also recall seeing an article a few years back where U2 expressed interest in playing at Coachella and was looking to get in touch with Paul Tollet. Is there a reason they wouldn't be in the running for 2019?
    My old account "Mikey1313666" is down for whatever reason.

  21. #1521
    old school theklein25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    3,816

    Default Re: Coachella 2019 Confirmations/Rumors

    Yeah they’ve played at least 4 large shows in LA over the past 2 years. If anybody hasn’t seen them at this point then better wait awhile because they’re not doing anything out there in 2019

  22. #1522

    Default Re: Coachella 2019 Confirmations/Rumors

    Yeah, I think the live nation thing plus just kinda being worn out. Also: I know I have my silly rules about legacy acts, but Coachella doesn’t grab legacy headliners after another us fest, and they’re not gonna top Bonnaroo getting Joshua Tree. Same reason I don’t expect Springsteen to ever headline (among other reasons), as much as I’d love it. He’s done it, and thus it’d be less special.

  23. #1523

    Default Re: Coachella 2019 Confirmations/Rumors

    Quote Originally Posted by Vireo's Eye View Post
    Yes, it must be balanced by a rock act that the board enjoys, just like last year's headliners.
    I literally said "I would pray," it doesn't HAVE to be anything. Obviously that's just what I and many on the boards/sub would prefer.

    Also, last year is the exception, not the rule....I think you are ignoring the unique-ness of the situation last year. Bey being pushed to '18, Weekend being booked in advanced, difficulty nailing down a 3rd.

    Until I see proof that rock is absent from the top line again, I'm confident we'll have a return this year.
    Last edited by thefiremind; Yesterday at 08:05 AM.

  24. #1524

    Default Re: Coachella 2019 Confirmations/Rumors

    Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    You’re reading way too much into this, especially since these songs may not even be on the album.
    probably true. I thought pitchfork confirmed that these songs were on the album though?

  25. #1525
    old school
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,341

    Default Re: Coachella 2019 Confirmations/Rumors

    Quote Originally Posted by mikey1313 View Post
    Pretty sure I brought this up a few months ago, but is there any reason nobody has brought up U2 at all?
    Glaston/Roo gigs themselves were just "decent" rather than "great". Never seen a report of any U2 member on the Coachella grounds, and Edge lives just outside LA. Bono went to an off-site Coachella after party related to his wife's clothing line one year.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vireo's Eye View Post
    It didn't make sense to "balance" the bill with a rock headliner last year....so they didn't book one. They aren't bringing back McCartney at that price just because they're out of rock options.
    Quote Originally Posted by silver06 View Post
    Bumble - what you're missing is it's probably somebody big, but doesn't necessarily need to be a rock headliner. They felt no need to book a rock headliner last year for "balance" so that notion is completely off the table.

    If you're making the "booking fee" argument, comparing 2019's headliners to 2018 would have Gambino probably the cheapest behind The Weeknd and JT somewhere along the booking price of Eminem, meaning they'd have a Beyonce sized budget to either book another mega headliner or make the second lines superb (or take a larger shareholder dividend for AEG...). If you're making the "buzz" argument, it's hard to see JT getting a ton of buzz after a dud album and a full year of touring, and Gambino will be the smallest headliner in recent memory, and after a number of festivals and shows in the fall won't have much cache, so the third headliner will probably be big.

    But "balance" is a dumb argument. Just as realistic that it's Adele or Rihanna then it is an REM reunion or the Stones.
    Justin/Gambino/Rihanna
    Justin/Gambino/Adele
    Justin/Gambino/Sheeran

    Is Paul Tollet's goal to rival Glastonbury or be Wango Tango on steroids?

    IMO, If the Stones do a dozen or so North America shows as rumoured I think they will want to do it later in the summer to fill outdoor stadiums nearer the US/Canada border.

    I'm not convinced anyone has given REM a serious festival or touring offer with crazy money, regardless of it being my top 3-4 reunions(XTC/Heads/Talk Talk). They are all friends, all 4 want to push their box set reissues and 3 of them still do the odd live appearance.

    For those that will inevitably say "it's about the undercard and not the headliners!" then I ask you how festivals with Janet or Florence are doing this year.

    For those insisting that Coachella is moving in a top 40 direction: Why was W2 2018 capacity smaller than W1? Was was the 2019 pre-sale last month a big shrug even on this board and other social media? They will still sell 200,000 passes sold, but a top-40 direction will be hard to maintain year after year.

  26. #1526

    Default Re: Coachella 2019 Confirmations/Rumors

    The idea that Coachella doesn't already rival, if not surpass, Glastonbury is ridiculous. Great job Bumbles.

  27. #1527

    Default Re: Coachella 2019 Confirmations/Rumors

    I think everyone here would like to see Justin Timberlake not be the #1 headliner. But Coachella does not *need* the Rolling Stones to stave off their imminent collapse. And judging by the fact that neither weekend of ACL is sold out, they don't *need* Paul McCartney either.
    Last edited by iamthehorn; Today at 06:00 AM.

  28. #1528

    Default Re: Coachella 2019 Confirmations/Rumors

    Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    Who??

    JT/Gamb/something like Tame Impala would all be headlining their first major US festival.

    Stones or a Paul repeat would balance out 2 of those names to sell 250,000 wristbands. I don't see Iron Maiden/Metallica working. After that you start running out of obvious names very quickly.
    That's why the 3rd headliner isn't gonna be an indie rock band or legacy act.

  29. #1529

    Default Re: Coachella 2019 Confirmations/Rumors

    Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    Glaston/Roo gigs themselves were just "decent" rather than "great". Never seen a report of any U2 member on the Coachella grounds, and Edge lives just outside LA. Bono went to an off-site Coachella after party related to his wife's clothing line one year.





    Justin/Gambino/Rihanna
    Justin/Gambino/Adele
    Justin/Gambino/Sheeran

    Is Paul Tollet's goal to rival Glastonbury or be Wango Tango on steroids?

    IMO, If the Stones do a dozen or so North America shows as rumoured I think they will want to do it later in the summer to fill outdoor stadiums nearer the US/Canada border.

    I'm not convinced anyone has given REM a serious festival or touring offer with crazy money, regardless of it being my top 3-4 reunions(XTC/Heads/Talk Talk). They are all friends, all 4 want to push their box set reissues and 3 of them still do the odd live appearance.

    For those that will inevitably say "it's about the undercard and not the headliners!" then I ask you how festivals with Janet or Florence are doing this year.

    For those insisting that Coachella is moving in a top 40 direction: Why was W2 2018 capacity smaller than W1? Was was the 2019 pre-sale last month a big shrug even on this board and other social media? They will still sell 200,000 passes sold, but a top-40 direction will be hard to maintain year after year.
    A Top 40 direction is easier to maintain than consistently booking unique lineups that appeal to people who desperately want to see R.E.M.

    It's been said a few times in this thread that there just aren't that many bands that makes sense, and on the contrary there's about a million pop/rap/electronic acts that do. Coachella knows this and will continue to book big ticket moving headliners & appeal to the diehards on the 2nd and 3rd lines.

Similar Threads

  1. The REAL Coachella 2018 Rumors/Confirmations Thread
    By TickleMeElmo in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 3880
    Last Post: 04-05-2018, 03:41 PM
  2. Coachella 2018 Confirmations/Rumors
    By Droxcy in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 125
    Last Post: 02-23-2017, 12:52 PM
  3. Coachella 2017 Confirmations/Rumors
    By TickleMeElmo in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 3334
    Last Post: 02-03-2017, 04:21 PM
  4. 2015 Rumors/Confirmations/Whatever/Etc.
    By timothyhockley in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-10-2014, 01:28 PM
  5. Coachella 2011: Rumors, Headliners, rumored Confirmations
    By TeamCoachellaHellYeah in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 3726
    Last Post: 06-10-2013, 10:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •