Page 125 of 146 FirstFirst ... 120121122123124125126127128129130 ... LastLast
Results 3,721 to 3,750 of 4368

Thread: Coachella 2019 Confirmations/Rumors

Default Re: Coachella 2019 Confirmations/Rumors

Yeah sorry I deleted my post since you already kinda addressed the argument. Good points all around but they’re not bad enough to say them headlining would be a bad idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    Uhh, Gil Scott-Heron is kinda dead, dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymous96 View Post
    Whoops lol, that's what happens with my piss poor knowledge of rap

Pearl Jam is nowhere near my favorite band. But I’m not going to ignore the fact that they are one of the biggest rock bands in the world.

And yeah. My entire comment was based off 5 teenagers. Ridiculous...

Pearl Jam was the top name at the two least attended Bonnaroos. You can make the argument that Bonnaroo was already in decline by the second time they played, but the first time was back in the boom years.

Their audience doesn't want to stand around all day waiting for a two hour festival set that's heavy on the hits. Unless they explicitly say Coachella is one of their only US appearances next year, their fans are just going to hit multiple dates in other cities. I almost hope they play so you guys can see how sad the crowd would be.

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

Yeah sorry I deleted my post since you already kinda addressed the argument. Good points all around but they’re not bad enough to say them headlining would be a bad idea.
    Just to clarify I never said they would be a bad idea or they shouldn’t headline. That’s crazy. I said

“I can def see them being referred to as the weak headliner which would be a first for a legacy act.”

old school

Quote Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
    As an optomist, I say GV has to dig a little deeper in to their pockets and pull a surprise "legend" act. *Cue robot noises*
    Full Kraftwerk Reunion!!!!! Did Florian forgive the Bush family?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueBus View Post
    I wasn't around these boards in 08 and 09 but does anyone remember if they were any rumors ahead of the Paul McCartney or Rodger Waters bookings?
    Didn't Tollett mention in an interview that McCartney 2009 was an 11th hour thing when he was one X-mas vacation? Not sure who was being replaces, but I think Scott Weiland(probably STP) said they turned down a million from Coachella around that same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Coachella Bound View Post
    They both want it to happen. Each side has just had their issues. Coachella doesn’t want PJ fans camping out all day, and PJ hates that there fans don’t have legit access to tickets ahead of time.
    2019 pre-sales were probably less than other years, so PJ fans will have access to both weekends. Plus they could be given their own tickets site like Radiohead in 2012. As for PJ fans camping out all day in a heat and direct sun, I saw PJ @ Pemberton 2016 and pit was 100% clear after Vince Staples ended 2 hours before.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Pearl Jam has now spent 20 years pretty much out of the mainstream, playing almost exclusively to a) its [admittedly substantial] core audience of fans, b) more generic fans of '90s rock. Neither of those are exactly prime Coachella demos at this point. Assuming they wanted to go to the desert to see Pearl Jam, would they be able to even buy passes?

Pretty big mismatch between headliner and audience if you ask me, but weirder things have happened.
    PJ haven't played a full show in California since 2013. 90,000 saw them in Seattle August 2018 at 2 shows, which is an ALL TIME single artist record for the city.

Quote Originally Posted by nzahir View Post
    I don't buy it either or why would LCD, Radiohead, G&R, or ACDC play in the last few years

Tastes and demographic may have changed, but its not much different from 2016 or 2017

Headliners will still have popular names: If its not Kanye and Gambino (I have no real reason to believe they wont be there yet), then they will go for at least 1 popular name
    Because Kanye was given $4 million from a Ukranian Billionaire for all the Trump silliness?

http://www.tmz.com/2018/06/26/kim-ka...ouse-for-sale/

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Just to clarify I never said they would be a bad idea or they shouldn’t headline. That’s crazy. I said

“I can def see them being referred to as the weak headliner which would be a first for a legacy act.”
    If they were to be up there with JT (RIP) and Kanye then yes I’d agree with that. Gambino will likely be the weak headliner if he’s still in play.
    Uhh, Gil Scott-Heron is kinda dead, dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymous96 View Post
    Whoops lol, that's what happens with my piss poor knowledge of rap

Like I’ve said before, I’ll say again. Those acts had more connection to a younger audience. Two things can be true.

1) This act has an older fan base
    2) This act has a stronger appeal to a younger audience than Pearl Jam

Just like The Eagles have an older fan base too but Pearl Jam has a stronger recent connection to the youth. Come on y’all let’s use nuance. Everything doesn’t have to fit in one box.
    I very much disagree with regard to GNR; their style of rock music had completely gone out of style by 2016, and Axl was a joke. Pearl Jam would easily out-draw them in my opinion.

AC/DC probably out-draws Pearl Jam on the basis of "last chance to see this band," but even then - A) I think a lot of people think "their three big songs all sound the same", and B) none of their music was available to stream before they played, which didn't help. Pearl Jam ends up somewhere in the AC/DC-Jack White range I think.

Y'know, if they're even playing.
    Last edited by braundiggity; 12-06-2018 at 05:30 PM.

If they were to be up there with JT (RIP) and Kanye then yes I’d agree with that. Gambino will likely be the weak headliner if he’s still in play.
    I think Gambino doesn’t headline without a new album so number 1 album + all he has going on leads me to believe he will have a bigger crowd/ and have his name starred more on the Coachella app or whatever we are using to determine weakest lol

This was a fun read today

Quote Originally Posted by Vireo's Eye View Post
    Their audience doesn't want to stand around all day waiting for a two hour festival set that's heavy on the hits. Unless they explicitly say Coachella is one of their only US appearances next year, their fans are just going to hit multiple dates in other cities.
    I've heard that some Pearl Jam fans actually appreciate the music of other bands. You know, like normal people.

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    I've heard that some Pearl Jam fans actually appreciate the music of other bands. You know, like normal people.
    Yes, and all those other bands will be at Arroyo Seco.

I'll just finish on this about the Pearl Jam thing... regardless how well you think their booking would be received or how big or small you think their crowd would be, my whole point is that booking them is not some kind of outlandish thing, where it's going completely against this "new Coachella demographic." We're only one year removed from having AC/DC, GnR, and Radiohead 3 years straight. I think PJ would be great, and if they indeed have a new album on the horizon, even more so.

Ok, being that none of the remaining logical headliners are very big, I'm going to go out on a limb and say there still may be some type of dual-headliners for each day. I mean, is GV really going to let the 20th anniversary of Coachella be considered a "weak" lineup (at least as far as headliners go?) I doubt it. And that's what people would probably say if it were simply PJ/Gambino/Kanye or something like that. So maybe since there's no "huge" name this year (i.e Beyonce, Em, GnR) maybe they do co-headliners to stack it a bit more. idk... probably not but just a thought.

Fri: Florence + the Machine / Mumford and Sons or Pearl Jam
    Sat: Gambino / Rihanna
    Sun: Lana Del Rey / Kanye

I guess this wouldn't be "co-headliners" since one act is still easily bigger than the other one on that day, but still. It would be 3 subs that could probably headline themselves.
    Last edited by TheBlueBus; 12-06-2018 at 06:13 PM.

Pearl Jam would be awesome. Mumford would be the most boring headliner of any of the ones mentioned, I doubt they would replace JT with them.
    On the Horizon

Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Palladium 12.08
    Childish Gambino - The Forum 12.16
    Thom Yorke - The Orpheum 12.19 & 12.20
    Robyn - Hollywood Palladium 02.21.19
    Massive Attack - Hollywood Palladium 03.29.19
    Modeselektor - Echoplex 04.06.19
    The Rolling Stones - Rose Bowl 05.11.19
    Elton John - Honda Center 09.11.19

old school

Madonna hyped her 2006 tour @ Coachella, hyped her 2012 tour at Ultra with Avicii and her 2015 tour with the Drakechella kiss. She's active in 2019 with a new album and recently ended her Live Nation contract. She's hard to see near the stage for under $500/ticket so fans would be motivated to attend plus the casual fan audience will guarantee a more fan friendly setlist which is a bit unusual for her. I would see her challenged by the show and drive her to do a career defining performance. For those that say she only has older fans, I saw younger fans the 2-3 times I've seen her plus all the current local nightclub DJs I speak to say they play her earlier stuff to dance floors full of under 25s.

But apparently I'm crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    Madonna hyped her 2006 tour @ Coachella, hyped her 2012 tour at Ultra with Avicii and her 2015 tour with the Drakechella kiss. She's active in 2019 with a new album and recently ended her Live Nation contract. She's hard to see near the stage for under $500/ticket so fans would be motivated to attend plus the casual fan audience will guarantee a more fan friendly setlist which is a bit unusual for her. I would see her challenged by the show and drive her to do a career defining performance. For those that say she only has older fans, I saw younger fans the 2-3 times I've seen her plus all the current local nightclub DJs I speak to say they play her earlier stuff to dance floors full of under 25s.

But apparently I'm crazy.
    You know I'm on the level.

But apparently everyone here wants to bludgeon me with a brick.

I love Madonna(‘s music). I just think she’s senile and every time I see her she’s making me cringe. I don’t know how her recent life shows are though.

Madonna would be a great booking (especially considering the other options we’re throwing around are Mumford and Pearl Jam). The question would be whether she’d actually do it right and put on a career-spanning legacy set, or whether she’d try to force herself into current relevance by trotting out Quavo and shit like that.

You would think JT would've been a big chunk of the budget for 2019, so even though some of that money could be used to save him for the following year, Mumford and Sons just played the freaking Ohana Fest in Dana Point, which I don't know anyone who went to. Even if they're still big enough to headline (and I think they are, as much as I hate them), they can't be that expensive to book, and replacing the biggest name with Mumford just doesn't sound sensible for a festival that both costs a lot of money and spends a lot on those heavy hitters. Even with RHCP being a lazy replacement booking in 2013, they probably weren't that cheap.

I wonder how many people under the age of 40 even go to Pearl Jam shows. I'm almost 40 and they are still a little before my time since they peaked while I was in grade school. Not that it's stopped me from getting into other bands.

I only knew/encountered one person under 30 at the LCD show at the Bowl earlier this year, now that I think of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    I wonder how many people under the age of 40 even go to Pearl Jam shows. I'm almost 40 and they are still a little before my time since they peaked while I was in grade school. Not that it's stopped me from getting into other bands.

I only knew/encountered one person under 30 at the LCD show at the Bowl earlier this year, now that I think of it.
    As a 30 year and 2 month old person I say LCD was pretty big in my “Watch the OC and rock a moving units tote bag “ generation. Not the biggest thing but had a good following

You're almost 40 and you think Pearl Jam was before your time? Jesus Christ.

Surprised in all this no one posted that Pearl Jam tweeted a picture of a microphone on stage saying “The calm before the storm” yesterday

this has been extremely fun to spend 2 hours reading today. also dreamt a few days ago that goldenvoice managed to pull the black keys out of their ass so that was fun. one can only imagine!

These Pixies rumors would make more sense if PJ's playing.

I’m 32 and have a bunch of friends who’ve been to multiple Pearl Jam concerts. I’ve been to one. Putting aside their merits at Coachella, kinda weird to think they’re before your time haha.

old school

Surprised in all this no one posted that Pearl Jam tweeted a picture of a microphone on stage saying “The calm before the storm” yesterday
    Well its kinda well known they'll be active in 2019 with a new album, so doesn't do much re: Coachella unless it was tweeted like Jan 1

Now that I think about it, here’s where PJ makes a lot of sense: if weekend 2 presales were bad. Book PJ, get their fans out for weekend 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vireo's Eye View Post
    You know I'm on the level.

But apparently everyone here wants to bludgeon me with a brick.
    Madonna would be so out of place! Pearl Jam though makes perfect sense. /s
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    speculation strikes again.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Now that I think about it, here’s where PJ makes a lot of sense: if weekend 2 presales were bad. Book PJ, get their fans out for weekend 2.
    Don’t we know presales were worse than usual? They kept them open til midnight, I believe, which I’m pretty sure hadn’t ever happened before.