Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 373839404142
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1260

Thread: Coachella 2019 Confirmations/Rumors

Default Re: Coachella 2019 Confirmations/Rumors

Listening to Tool while smoking weed and looking at Alex Grey art. I really need to see them again, but this time tripping balls. Now that they sold out a 65,000 person show in San Bernardino, where do they go from there to top this? Coachella? A weekend event of their own? If they ever play LA proper again, where and how would that go down?

I still remember how salty this forum was in 2006 when Tool was announced as a headliner. If nothing else, I'd love to see that kind of reaction again.
    2004-2005-2006-2008-2012b-2013a-2014a-2016a-2017a

If they're going to book a rock headliner no one will go see it should be Iron Maiden.

So let's continue the overly detailed headliner discussion.

Think they are considering Paul Macca? I know he's on some people's mocks/prediction lists, what's the likelihood of that becoming a reality?

Quote Originally Posted by thefiremind View Post
    So let's continue the overly detailed headliner discussion.

Think they are considering Paul Macca? I know he's on some people's mocks/prediction lists, what's the likelihood of that becoming a reality?
    I'm going to say no because they already did that. Sure it's been 10 years, but it's not like his set will be all that significantly different. Plus they had him at Desert Trip, too.

I’m of the opinion that legends are, for the most part, a one time thing. I would be surprised if they booked Macca again.

Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    I’m of the opinion that legends are, for the most part, a one time thing. I would be surprised if they booked Macca again.
    Agreed. He did just announce 2 singles for his new record coming this fall. Don't know if that means anything.

https://pitchfork.com/news/paul-mcca...ongs-tomorrow/

Quote Originally Posted by Vireo's Eye View Post
    Tool fans would absolutely pay up for a new live production, or the first show promoting the new albim.

It wouldn't be an embarrassing crowd or a whiff booking. Radiohead is probably a good comp, and I think they'd outdraw a lot of the possible promotions like Florence or Arctic Monkeys. We wouldn't even be having this conversation if Tool was more in line with what this board listens to.
    I'd estimate Tool is way more in line with what this board listens to than what the average Coachella attendee listens to. It just isn't going to happen for many reasons that have already been outlined in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by rdubs23 View Post
    I'd estimate Tool is way more in line with what this board listens to than what the average Coachella attendee listens to. It just isn't going to happen for many reasons that have already been outlined in this thread.
    And at no point have I said that it will happen. I'm not predicting them. But it's stupid to act like they're not still a major draw that would pull an adequate headliner audience.

Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    Considering what Radiohead pulled crowd-wise last year, I think Tool would do about the same at a minimum.
    This must be the same world in which Taylor Swift (Million plus albums in a week, plays stadiums) can't keep up with JT (280k, plays arenas).

Quote Originally Posted by microcuts View Post
    I still remember how salty this forum was in 2006 when Tool was announced as a headliner. If nothing else, I'd love to see that kind of reaction again.
    I think everyone was salty due to the fact the Toolarmy trolls came up in here and said it was gonna be the best thing in the universe along with the album. Yet it was all about Daft Punk. Then again, the Madonna trolls invaded also.

Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    This must be the same world in which Taylor Swift (Million plus albums in a week, plays stadiums) can't keep up with JT (280k, plays arenas).
    I’m confused, is this also the same world where all Tool fans are too old to attend Coachella and only listen to metal, likely resulting in just a crowd of just a few dozen?
    Uhh, Gil Scott-Heron is kinda dead, dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymous96 View Post
    Whoops lol, that's what happens with my piss poor knowledge of rap

I’m confused, is this also the same world where all Tool fans are too old to attend Coachella and only listen to metal, likely resulting in just a crowd of just a few dozen?
    Those reddit tutorials in strawman construction are really paying off for you. Quite a piece of fiction you've constructed to argue against.

Having seen Radiohead and Tool each a dozen plus times in the last 20 years, plus half a dozen Coachellas, it's not difficult to estimate a Venn diagram for the crossover of each fanbase with current Coachella goers. Spoiler alert: The cross-over with RH is massive and that of Tool is not.

The paltry APC crowd..although not directly equivalent to a Tool crowd but as good an indicator as we have... is the best evidence that the appetite for Maynard is very limited with the flower crown and Post Malone kids. The Outdoor was what, maybe 10% full, if that? Feel free to cross-reference that with Thom Yorke's 2013 solo set, which went back almost to the Gobi.

If you're still having trouble with the comparison, take a look at the biggest crowds from this year...Beyoncé, Cardi B, Eminem, Post, Migos, Odesza...and then Venn those with Radiohead fans and Tool fans separately. The pattern will (hopefully) emerge at some point.

It's not difficult to estimate a Venn diagram for the crossover of each fanbase with current Coachella goers. Spoiler alert: The cross-over with RH is massive and that of Tool is not.
    I'd agree that there's a larger crossover with RH as well.

I also think having part of APC's set overlap with Eminem was a horrible decision. Eminem was the #1 attraction this year for a large majority of the male population aged 25+, myself included. My friends and I had made up our minds long before the schedule came out that we were going to get a decent spot for Eminem. Unfortunately that meant not being able to see APC, even though they were in my top 10 acts. They would've been far better off closing the outdoor Friday or Saturday IMO.

Those reddit tutorials in strawman construction are really paying off for you. Quite a piece of fiction you've constructed to argue against.

Having seen Radiohead and Tool each a dozen plus times in the last 20 years, plus half a dozen Coachellas, it's not difficult to estimate a Venn diagram for the crossover of each fanbase with current Coachella goers. Spoiler alert: The cross-over with RH is massive and that of Tool is not.

The paltry APC crowd..although not directly equivalent to a Tool crowd but as good an indicator as we have... is the best evidence that the appetite for Maynard is very limited with the flower crown and Post Malone kids. The Outdoor was what, maybe 10% full, if that? Feel free to cross-reference that with Thom Yorke's 2013 solo set, which went back almost to the Gobi.

If you're still having trouble with the comparison, take a look at the biggest crowds from this year...Beyoncé, Cardi B, Eminem, Post, Migos, Odesza...and then Venn those with Radiohead fans and Tool fans separately. The pattern will (hopefully) emerge at some point.
    APC can barely fill small theatres on their own headline tours (and/or play to third-full arenas that they're booking for god knows why) whereas Tool still sells out most arenas/amphitheatres within minutes of going on sale. There's no comparison there.
    Last edited by microcuts; Yesterday at 03:08 PM.

The paltry APC crowd..although not directly equivalent to a Tool crowd but as good an indicator as we have... is the best evidence that the appetite for Maynard is very limited with the flower crown and Post Malone kids.
    Wait....so the flower crown and Post Malone crowd are into Radiohead but not Tool? That just makes no sense to me at all. Post Malone didn't exist in 2013...so those "kids" you are talking about weren't around to go to Thom's 2013 set. The festival has changed so much since then as well. The demographic you are talking about CERTAINLY wasn't at RHs Coachella set, they were at Dillon Francis in Sahara.

All I'm hearing here is a bunch of spurious connections with some rudeness. It's not very convincing. The Venn diagram of Beyonce, Eminem, Cardi, Post, Migos with RH is JUST as "non-overlapping" as it is with Tool. I think you just don't understand who listens to Radiohead.

This might help. (not supporting this article by the way, just using it to make a point) https://consequenceofsound.net/2014/...-to-new-study/

I know you guys are having trouble understanding what mrhand is saying so let me help translate this one section for y’all to help you better understand.

APC didn’t draw well to an age group we’ve already proven isn’t the majority several posts back (against Eminem and Migos mind you) which is a pitiful comparison to what Thom’s crowd pulled in 2013... sorry, 2010 (8 fucking years ago) against Plastikman and overall less stages.

Does that make sense now?
    Last edited by TickleMeElmo; Yesterday at 03:55 PM.

At least the flower crown kids could look up Radiohead on Spotify and think "hey, this is pretty good, and I know they're a huge deal, I'll check em out".

Pretty sure these flower crown kids actually use YouTube the most where you can easily find Tool songs too but, point taken.

Tool would have an even smaller crowd.

Alright sooooo Tool apparently can't headline which is idiotic and bullshit but would the kiddies be nostalgic for a Green Day headline set? Nostalgic and they have not played before, boards might not like it but since we are not getting Maiden I feel like they could be up for a headlining spot for a rock spot. Thoughts?
    you are soooooooo good lookin

Quote Originally Posted by rdubs23 View Post
    At least the flower crown kids could look up Radiohead on Spotify and think "hey, this is pretty good, and I know they're a huge deal, I'll check em out".
    I say this with no implication regarding tool, but: the fact that AC/DC didn’t have their music on Spotify basically ensured I didn’t prioritize them in 2015. Knew the big hits, but nowhere near even 1/3 of their set. I don’t understand the mindset of an act like that simply keeping people at arm’s length.

Quote Originally Posted by gillster17 View Post
    Alright sooooo Tool apparently can't headline which is idiotic and bullshit but would the kiddies be nostalgic for a Green Day headline set? Nostalgic and they have not played before, boards might not like it but since we are not getting Maiden I feel like they could be up for a headlining spot for a rock spot. Thoughts?
    Tool is nowhere in the same league as Green Day. The amount of hits, achievements (including first ballot HOF), respect towards their fans, and live performances speak for themself. So yes Green Day would be an awesome headliner

Quote Originally Posted by microcuts View Post
    APC can barely fill small theatres on their own headline tours (and/or play to third-full arenas that they're booking for god knows why) whereas Tool still sells out most arenas/amphitheatres within minutes of going on sale. There's no comparison there.
    Don't dispute that, which is why I qualified the comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by thefiremind View Post
    Wait....so the flower crown and Post Malone crowd are into Radiohead but not Tool?
    They at least know who Radiohead are, have many friends who are obsessed with them, and are a fuckload more likely to give their headlining set a look-see than they would Tool, who is the favorite band of most of their friends' dads and grandpas.

I know you guys are having trouble understanding what mrhand is saying so let me help translate this one section for y’all to help you better understand.

APC didn’t draw well to an age group we’ve already proven isn’t the majority several posts back (against Eminem and Migos mind you) which is a pitiful comparison to what Thom’s crowd pulled in 2013... sorry, 2010 (8 fucking years ago) against Plastikman and overall less stages.

Does that make sense now?
    Since I assume you've been to several recent Coachellas, the question needs to be asked: Have you been to a Tool show in the last 5 years? Have you been face to face with the demo for that crowd? Because this makes a lot more sense if all your knowledge comes from speculation and not the experience of being surrounded by mostly sweaty, balding dudes dressed in black born in the late 60s and 70s. Walk around a Tool show with a purple Coachella t-shirt on, and you will get laughed at and likely beaten.

Yes, it was 2010, my mistake. No, it doesn't change the point that Coachella attendees will flock to anything Radiohead related, while Maynard's side projects are lucky to get crumbs.

The obvious point in this entire conversation is that the big demarcation between the two bands is that Radiohead has made new music at regular 3-4 year intervals, and has been on the cultural radar constantly. Younger people have been exposed to them A LOT, which is why their crowds have a wide cross-section of older and younger fans.

Tool is the opposite of that with their self-imposed exile and 13 years between albums. Their crowds get older and older with every tour, and they're not drawing new fans for shit. Yes, they're still a big draw and sell out arenas on a regular basis. But so do Iron Maiden and System of a Down, and they would also draw below average to shitty crowds at Coachella for the same reasons.

I could actually see SOAD drawing a pretty respectable crowd. Their popularity peaked in the mid 00’s when a large portion of the current Coachella demographic would’ve been in middle school or high school. It would be a solid nostalgia act.. although I don’t think they could headline Coachella.. maybe bottle rock or some shit. Tool is pretty hard to determine though.. in terms of fan base and ability to sell tickets they should headline most festivals they play at, but they simply don’t appeal to the modern Coachella crowd, which is a bummer tbh, cuz that means we’re prone to have more pop/edm main acts than nostalgic rock and hip hop acts going forward.

Make tool the “headliner” and then put them in the Mohave. LOL

Jesus Christ, fuck off with Tool debate.

SOAD would make a great #2 on the poster.

Any chance of Toto since Africa became so popular for some reason? I know Weezer covered it for some other reason I don’t understand.

Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    I say this with no implication regarding tool, but: the fact that AC/DC didn’t have their music on Spotify basically ensured I didn’t prioritize them in 2015. Knew the big hits, but nowhere near even 1/3 of their set. I don’t understand the mindset of an act like that simply keeping people at arm’s length.
    what a tool

old school

Since I assume you've been to several recent Coachellas, the question needs to be asked: Have you been to a Tool show in the last 5 years? Have you been face to face with the demo for that crowd? Because this makes a lot more sense if all your knowledge comes from speculation and not the experience of being surrounded by mostly sweaty, balding dudes dressed in black born in the late 60s and 70s. Walk around a Tool show with a purple Coachella t-shirt on, and you will get laughed at and likely beaten.

Yes, it was 2010, my mistake. No, it doesn't change the point that Coachella attendees will flock to anything Radiohead related, while Maynard's side projects are lucky to get crumbs.
    Read the two bolded sentences back to back and was settling in for a great story

old school

Maynard doesn't give a shit about promoting the new album or Tool. He treats it more like an annoying responsibility than anything else these days.

And I know APC and Puscifer have had live performances randomly recorded over the years, but that's because those projects need the exposure. Tool doesn't.
    Maynard has a long-standing philosophical objection to any recording/broadcast of Tool/Puscifer
    Tool did a major promo push(remember the impossible ticket short theater tour?) in order to get insane rock single CD sales(500k?) in 2006. I expect a similar push in 2019 with vinyl reissues, maybe a period on streaming services and a Tool style media blitz. It won't be something they just dump on the internet as a surprise release. Tool did seem to pick up more an more new fans with releases in 2001 and 2006. They had some younger fans when I saw Tool about a year ago in an arena and my city basically didn't have any seats much under $100.

Tool and APC played some same markets in 2017. APC drew about 1/5th or 1/6th that Tool did. I think some APC fans were annoyed at the venues/no Josh Freese, no new album, so-so setlist.

With 125k on the fields there's enough room for large audience within 2-3 genres that don't really overlap. GV has the tough decision right now to keep going with more pop-rap stuff or do a push with guitar stuff. There's also the EDM question if they truly are not getting their own Desert Trip in 2018 fell through(DT2016 was announced in early May).