Page 14 of 60 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Coachella 2019 Confirmations/Rumors

Default Re: Coachella 2019 Confirmations/Rumors

Quote Originally Posted by thefiremind View Post
    Agree on that assumption. But still having 1/3 of the 2nd line rap acts flop isn't great...or maybe that's just standard these days.

Cardi, Vince, Tyler, SZA all put on great shows.
    You named 2 flops, 2 out of a ton isn't bad at all. BROCKHAMPTON and Flatbush Zombies may have had the best crowds this year in terms of how much they were into it. Eminem did great. Vince and Tyler were good. Princess Nokia was very good. Cardi B did better than most expected. Amine was very very good too. Noname did her thing and was very good with the crowd. I didn't see Russ or French Montana, DeJ Loaf, because I'm not into their music but rap did not flop this year outside of a couple bad sets, which were in the minority.

Quote Originally Posted by kct3722 View Post
    You named 2 flops, 2 out of a ton isn't bad at all. BROCKHAMPTON and Flatbush Zombies may have had the best crowds this year in terms of how much they were into it. Eminem did great. Vince and Tyler were good. Princess Nokia was very good. Cardi B did better than most expected. Amine was very very good too. Noname did her thing and was very good with the crowd. I didn't see Russ or French Montana, DeJ Loaf, because I'm not into their music but rap did not flop this year outside of a couple bad sets, which were in the minority.
    Specified both "big name" and 2nd line in these posts. So 2 out of 6 on second line is...okay? Can't decide if bad or good. There was ton of good rap at the festival, rap did not flop. But from what I'm hearing the Sahara rappers were universally poor performers.

This was the experiment, right? So how did it go? No one overdosed, so far as I've heard. The rap and pop crowd at least don't do that. The crowds for daytime acts seemed even smaller, taking into account it was w1. Is this what Tollett wants? Fewer music fans, more fans of celebrity and spectacle?

I gotta think rock fans would show up if they were given a reason to. Baby-boomers, too. And they would at least show up to see other acts. We'll see what the crowds will be like this weekend, but I 100% expect more balance.

Thank god it's going to be a long-ass time before Beyonce headlines again. Those fans are like sucking black holes for fun and joy and the celebration of music.

Quote Originally Posted by kct3722 View Post
    The only way that Rap gets a headliner next year is if they book Kanye, I think. After the draw that Kendrick and Eminem had, there aren't many other rappers who can pull a crowd like that. The only other ones close to that big are what.. if they book Jay-Z again? Maybe Gambino or J Cole? I could see them going with a throw back rock band, EDM, or either someone like Adele, Coldplay (again), Kanye (again). It'd have to be someone who can match Beyonce and Em this year.
    I dont think Gambino or Cole can headline

Rappers left: Chance(with new album) or Frank Ocean(fringe/co headliner headliner maybe, but his rarity helps. If he even counts as rap)

Repeats: Kanye comeback with a new album. Drake with a new album, but it may be too soon. Jay-Z maybe, but he just did 4:44 tour last year and maybe his contract will not allow it

Quote Originally Posted by thefiremind View Post
    What do you mean return to rock and indie next year.

This year the lineup was stacked with big indie acts and full of rock in the lower lines. Lots of the big name hip-hop acts flopped HARD this year, so why would they move more in that direction?

Good hip-hop will always be around, shitty hip hop will always be around, rock and indie will always be around.
    Why would they move in that direction? The same reason that from 2012 thru 2016 the festival was dominated by big cheese EDM acts, because that's what is popular. Hip hop and rap is getting big again, and expect to see Coachella be dominated by those artists for the next 3-5 years before the next genre becomes the big ticket item, which in my opinion could be live electronic shows.

Headliners:

Oasis / Drake / Rihanna

or Metallica / Drake / Rihanna

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous96 View Post
    Headliners:

Oasis / Drake / Rihanna

or Metallica / Drake / Rihanna
    Too quick of a turn around for Drake to headline again, and I heard his set wasn't well received. Also heard Rihanna isn't very good live so I don't think they'd make her headliner. I honestly think it'll be between Kanye, Adele, Coldplay, an old school rock band, or a big name EDM act

Quote Originally Posted by nzahir View Post
    I dont think Gambino or Cole can headline

Rappers left: Chance(with new album) or Frank Ocean(fringe/co headliner headliner maybe, but his rarity helps. If he even counts as rap)

Repeats: Kanye comeback with a new album. Drake with a new album, but it may be too soon. Jay-Z maybe, but he just did 4:44 tour last year and maybe his contract will not allow it
    Agree with Cole and Gambino, if either of them drops an album that blows up this year, it may be possible, but they'd most likely be 2nd on the line up like SZA/ODESZA/HAIM.
    Frank isn't rap but I'm not 100% sure if he can headline Coachella either.. again I think he'd have to release a new album this year that blows up to make it happen. I honestly think Kanye is the only one who can pull it off. Most likely we'll get a ton of 2nd line rap acts and no headliners unless they get Kanye.

Quote Originally Posted by svenflauge View Post
    Why would they move in that direction? The same reason that from 2012 thru 2016 the festival was dominated by big cheese EDM acts, because that's what is popular. Hip hop and rap is getting big again, and expect to see Coachella be dominated by those artists for the next 3-5 years before the next genre becomes the big ticket item, which in my opinion could be live electronic shows.
    No. Last Thursday, as someone whose felt strongly that rock, like big band and jazz mid-fifties, is probably on its last legs of popular music dominance, I might have agreed with you.

But after Friday, and seeing the way the kids in the Mojave were going absolutely bat-shit crazy for every derivative yelp and noddley solo and "ma-ma-ma" in that quasi-parody of a show by Greta Van Fleet (which I still enjoyed tremendously) with twice the intensity that greeted Beyonce or Eminem, I feel fairly certain that rock's got one more big push and the next big thing is some contemporized resurgence of big dumb heavy solo-driven rock, probably hitting full steam in three to five years. Kids just need a few more bands like Greta to emerge that they can call their own to make it a full blown movement and then the jam is on.
    Last edited by IlliniQ; 04-16-2018 at 08:30 PM.
    Radiohead - The Xx - Father John Misty - Bonobo - DJ Shadow - Guided By Voices - Preservation Hall Jazz Band - King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - The Interrupters - Klangstof

Beyonce - Bon Iver - Nicholas Jarr - Tycho - Four Tet - The Avalanches - Banks & Steelz - Car Seat Headrest - Mitski - Floating Points

Kendrick Lamar - New Order - Future Islands - Hans Zimmer - Toots & The Maytals - Devendra Banhart - Lee Fields & The Expresions - Whitney - Preoccupations - Hinds - Ezra Furman - Pond

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniQ View Post
    No. Last Thursday, as someone whose felt strongly that rock, like big band and jazz mid-fifties, is probably on its last legs of popular music dominance, I might have agreed with you.

But after Friday, and seeing the way the kids in the Mojave were going absolutely bat-shit crazy for every derivative yelp and noddley solo and "ma-ma-ma" in that quasi-parody of a show by Greta Van Fleet (which I still enjoyed tremendously) with twice the intensity that greeted Beyonce or Eminem, I feel fairly certain that rock's got one more big push and the next big thing is some contemporized resurgence of big dumb heavy solo-driven rock, probably hitting full steam in three to five years. Kids just need a few more bands like Greta to emerge that they can call their own to make it a full blown movement and then the jam is on.
    I feel this! Portugal. The Man was one of my favorite sets of all the Coachellas I've been to (last 4 years) and the younger people (including me) that I was around seemed to really dig when they did Pink Floyd, Stones, and Beatles.

On another note, seeing ODESZA after PTM showed that Live Electronic Music is really taking over and will keep pushing on. Acts like Rufus Du Sol are still increasingly becoming popular and I bet the next time Flume plays, he has a primetime spot like ODESZA and pulls a MASSIVE crowd.

Right now is a good time for a lot of things. Along with rock live electronic, I think Hip-Hop will stay, but for the better. BROCKHAMPTON and Vince had incredible sets. They received a lot more support by the masses and all younger attendees than Migos. I think the Migos/Uzi/Yachty is on the downfall and vince, brock, tyler and others are only going to continue to take over. But seriously WOW that Brockhampton set was really awesome.
    Last edited by seanc3; 04-16-2018 at 09:30 PM.
    5/19/17 Thundercat @ Observatory SD
    6/8/17 Sam Gellaitry @ Observatory SD
    6/21/17 Roger Waters @ Staples Center
    7/1/17 Tycho, Todd Terje & the Olsens, and Jaga Jazzist @ Greek LA
    8/6/17 Kendrick Lamar @ Staples Center
    8/12/17 Hans Zimmer @ Viejas Arena

I'm surprised no one has mentioned John Legend as a possible headliner for 2019.

I agree Tame Impala/Arctic Monkeys would be the most likely rock headliners (if there is one). However, I think it's worth mentioning Avenged Sevenfold as an interesting dark horse candidate. With 17 million likes on Facebook, they easily surpass Vampire Weekend's 2 million and are one of the few rock acts this decade to release a song with over 100 million plays on youtube. Unlike Metallica they haven't already headlined every mainstream festival and aren't really that much more hard rock than Guns N Roses or AC/DC.

Don't get me wrong I think it's unlikely, but this is also the same festival that booked Steely Dan and Motorhead out of nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by scytheram View Post
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned John Legend as a possible headliner for 2019.

I agree Tame Impala/Arctic Monkeys would be the most likely rock headliners (if there is one). However, I think it's worth mentioning Avenged Sevenfold as an interesting dark horse candidate. With 17 million likes on Facebook, they easily surpass Vampire Weekend's 2 million and are one of the few rock acts this decade to release a song with over 100 million plays on youtube. Unlike Metallica they haven't already headlined every mainstream festival and aren't really that much more hard rock than Guns N Roses or AC/DC.

Don't get me wrong I think it's unlikely, but this is also the same festival that booked Steely Dan and Motorhead out of nowhere.
    John Legend definitely is not a headliner and Avenged Sevenfold isn't even worth discussing. GV would never touch that garbage.
    Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    Uhh, Gil Scott-Heron is kinda dead, dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymous96 View Post
    Whoops lol, that's what happens with my piss poor knowledge of rap

Quote Originally Posted by scytheram View Post

you don't know what you're talking about

i do think 2 headliners will be kanye west and florence+the machine

will be interesting to see if there will be a rock headliner. not that many options;; arctic monkeys, jack white, muse.

with the first 2, will be pretty lame on coachella part to get them, cause they will play tons of fests this summer.

not sure how will muse record do.

ed sheeran is one possibility, if they go for a massive pop name.

the trio od ed sheeran - kanye -florence sounds very strong.

maybe if one of the pop names grows extremely big in the next 6 months, that could be a possibility :: Dua Lipa maybe.

unfortunatelly, dont think names like tool, metallica, system of a down will ever again be in play for this fest.

different demo now. but kanye - florence - sheeran would do some massive headlines.

shit sign me up for Kanye/Florence/Muse

Quote Originally Posted by Sladokusac View Post
    i do think 2 headliners will be kanye west and florence+the machine

will be interesting to see if there will be a rock headliner. not that many options;; arctic monkeys, jack white, muse.

with the first 2, will be pretty lame on coachella part to get them, cause they will play tons of fests this summer.

not sure how will muse record do.

ed sheeran is one possibility, if they go for a massive pop name.

the trio od ed sheeran - kanye -florence sounds very strong.

maybe if one of the pop names grows extremely big in the next 6 months, that could be a possibility :: Dua Lipa maybe.

unfortunatelly, dont think names like tool, metallica, system of a down will ever again be in play for this fest.

different demo now. but kanye - florence - sheeran would do some massive headlines.
    Even though most wouldn’t call Florence straight up rock - there’s such epic sweep to so many of her tunes I can see GV thinking she’s enough to satisfy the ever shrinking rock contingent that attends Coachella. And I agree she’s a lock to headline soon.

I'm not sure why so many people are writing off big rock bookings geared toward an older audience when the prior three years we've had AC/DC, Guns 'n Roses, and Radiohead. Just three months ago when the poster came out people were mind blown that all three headliners were on an R&B/hip-hop/Top 40 plane, now we're taking for granted that's the standard going forward?

The Weeknd has serious history with GV and Coachella, Beyonce is a no brainer for any festival, and Eminem was apparently on Paul T's wish list for some time according to an interview. Ed Sheeran, Bruno Mars, Rihanna, etc aren't the same thing.

First show back for Kanye West would be big. Definitely feels like we're priming for a promotion headliner along the lines of Arctic Monkeys, Tame Impala, Florence, etc...just who specifically it'll be I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    I'm not sure why so many people are writing off big rock bookings geared toward an older audience when the prior three years we've had AC/DC, Guns 'n Roses, and Radiohead. Just three months ago when the poster came out people were mind blown that all three headliners were on an R&B/hip-hop/Top 40 plane, now we're taking for granted that's the standard going forward?

The Weeknd has serious history with GV and Coachella, Beyonce is a no brainer for any festival, and Eminem was apparently on Paul T's wish list for some time according to an interview. Ed Sheeran, Bruno Mars, Rihanna, etc aren't the same thing.

First show back for Kanye West would be big. Definitely feels like we're priming for a promotion headliner along the lines of Arctic Monkeys, Tame Impala, Florence, etc...just who specifically it'll be I have no idea.
    Only time will tell but I think you are 100% correct here.

Just because this year didn't have a rock headliner DOES NOT MEAN it will be this way from now on. Sounds like with The Weeknd being booked far in advance, Bey moving years, and GV struggling to find a third until pulling off a HUGE get for PT, this year was an anomaly. 1 data point does not make a trend, especially when the other 18 years send a different signal.

Considering the lack of crowds for rock acts and all the press going on about how it is completely dead at Coachella now, I would be surprised to see more than one rock headliner next year.

Conversely, any pop star would be burdened with the impossible task and expectations of matching or topping Beyonce's set.

I can see Kanye, Swedish House Mafia, and one rock headliner.

Not sure about who could be promoted. Florence seems most likely, because she's the biggest, they'd have another woman headlining, and there's usually one headliner coming back after playing all over the previous summer. I think Tame Impala blew it by spending two summers playing second and third tier festivals instead of having Coachella be their big return.

As for subheadliners, Chvrches and FKA Twigs seem obvious.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    Considering the lack of crowds for rock acts and all the press going on about how it is completely dead at Coachella now, I would be surprised to see more than one rock headliner next year.
    This coverage has been pretty odd to me. This year seemed like a "No EDM" year between only two EDM shows on the main/outdoor and rappers closing the Sahara two nights, yet all the coverage is getting devoted to St. Vincent having a small crowd, as if people were expecting otherwise. The Stone Roses played to 200 people in 2013, The Replacements barely any more in 2014, the list goes on, and yet they still always book big rock acts and will again next year.

Kanye makes the most sense as the big rap show next year. Rihanna I think is the only pop star that would want to follow-up Beyonce. I think Arctic Monkeys could make the promotion leap based on the excitement around the new record. Florence makes a ton of sense. I actually think Tame is unlikely to headline next year after Desert Daze.

If I had to guess today, I'd think Kanye / Florence / Metallica. Subs I think will include The 1975 (new album, GV faves), Alabama Shakes (same), and Disclosure (the ODESZA of next year). Chvrces, Janelle Monae, Rae Sremmurd, ASAP Rocky, etc. really high.

old school

Also thinking Grace Jones or D'Angelo for the Underworld/Jamiroquai unexpected second liner booking

I think pop will still be a big force next year, but not 100% sold on there being a pop headliner next year unless its something like Rihanna or I suppose JT even though his album tanked... However I do think we will see Charli XCX since she's been, in my opinion, one of the most interesting newer pop acts. I'm honestly shocked she didn't play this year. I still think Arctic Monkeys is on the table depending on how well their album does, and I think Lana Del Rey is a shoe in for a subliner.

I'm really surprised at the lack of Janelle Monae shows and festival dates this summer. Making us wait it out until next year would definitely guarantee Coachella.

Yeah, I can see most of those playing next year, and with high billing.

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post

Conversely, any pop star would be burdened with the impossible task and expectations of matching or topping Beyonce's set.

I can see Kanye, Swedish House Mafia, and one rock headliner.

Not sure about who could be promoted. Florence seems most likely, because she's the biggest, they'd have another woman headlining, and there's usually one headliner coming back after playing all over the previous summer. I think Tame Impala blew it by spending two summers playing second and third tier festivals instead of having Coachella be their big return.

As for subheadliners, Chvrches and FKA Twigs seem obvious.
    Tame Impala could definitely do it with a new album coinciding. GV loves them and vice versa, and if the timing worked I could easily see them giving them a "let's see if this works" promotion. With no new album, I agree with you. Sort of like how Kendrick was everywhere the year prior to 2017 and felt stale, but GV was just waiting for the new album to get him to headline. I wouldn't be surprised if there had/has been a "call us when the next one is coming out" conversation with both Kendrick and Tame Impala like there had been with Phoenix.

I think part of the rock attendance problem is that you didn't have one rock headliner. The type of fan who would have considered going to APC, St. Vincent, etc might have paused on pulling the trigger with The Weeknd/Beyonce/Eminem as the headliners, but might have gone if you had a Metallica, Tame Impala, hell even Muse/Killers/Jack White rehash on top of the bill somewhere. Compound that with knowing the big headliner in advance, which has never happened in a pre-sale, and you probably had a much higher concentration of Beyonce fans W1 than you would have had W1 of 2017. Interested to see how the bands do W2.

For that reason I think they'll put emphasis on a big rock headliner, maybe even two for next year. 2012 was super commercialized EDM dominant, and then the next year they swung the pendulum to a heavil rock/indie heavy lineup, then swung back to Top 40 with Calvin and Lana and co., and then swung back to Dad-chella with AC/DC, Jack White, Steely Dan. Seems like the are always fiddling with the ratios and then slightly overcorrecting the following year.

Lastly, not to your point specifically but all those mentioning Rihanna, she's a notoriously wooden live performer who hates concerts and her last big tour was not a financial success. I really do not see Coachella booking her, ever, despite her being a fan of the show. If Rihanna was in the cards, there were plenty of opportunities for it to happen by now.

Not to mention that it looks like Coachella was just too early for Vampire Weekend and Arctic Monkeys based on their summer festivals, so maybe they swing back by Coachella for a victory lap next year.

Outside of headliners, Blood Orange is past due for a return and has a new album this year.

Is Carly ever going to play? I feel that would go over well. And a guest appearance with Blood Orange.

Could happen. If Arctic Monkeys blows it out of the water I think they're a likely candidate. Side note: I really, really hope Superorganism is somewhere on the lineup next year. The just released an album and it's pretty awesome!

Headliners

Arctic Monkeys
    Justin Timberlake

3rd one is up for grabs though....
    Best guesses are Elton John, Florence , Rihanna, Tame Impala, Kanye, Pearl Jam

I nailed 2/3 last year at this time.

I'm going with:

Tool
    Kanye West
    Daft Punk

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteIverson View Post
    I nailed 2/3 last year at this time.

I'm going with:

Tool
    Kanye West