Thread: Has anyone ever gone to Coachella Solo?

Default Has anyone ever gone to Coachella Solo?

I've always went with friends to Coachella. If I don't end up selling my Weekend 1 VIP wristband, I'll probably end up going solo.

If you have gone by yourself, how was it? Has anyone planned a trip to meet up with other people going solo or booked a Hotel/AirBnB together and carpooled?
    Last edited by Goodee; 01-08-2018 at 12:38 PM.

Default Re: Has anyone ever gone to Coachella Solo?

Hell yeah first time I went I went solo. I loved it, did what I wanted and didn't worry about other people. The kicker is I went with out a place to stay and ended up meeting some people that let me stay with them lol

yup. I did 2009 solo. it was a lot of fun and I had a lot of random conversations with strangers.
    setlist.fm | last.fm | facebook | twitter
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
    2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018
    5/24 Phantogram/TYCHO/Poolside @ Cal Coast 5/25 Fever Ray @ Hollywood Palladium Janelle Monae @ Cal Coast Open Air Theater
    6/22 Belle & Sebastian/Japanese Breakfast @ Observatory 7/30 Decemberists @ Humphrey's by the Bay
    10/5-6 Caj Jam 18 10/12-14 Austin City Limits

Solo at the Polo? Unheard of. Unless you're me.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

No. Nobody has ever, in the history of Coachella, gone solo.

I pretty much did in 2005, 2007 and 2012. They were all fun for different reasons, and 2007 in particular was one of my favorite years. I went for music, so depending on your priorities, enjoyment may vary.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

First time, solo wknd 2 If ur social u will have a lot of new friends and just learn new people, thats nice then see the same face u see whole ur life lol XD

Cool! Thanks for sharing everyone! Doesn't sound too bad at all.

Haha thats cool! Must have been some pretty cool people.

6/16 Coachellas solo. It kicks ass. Doing it again this year. Sometimes prefer it that way. Great memories. Mostly hotels and condos (shuttle pass, carpools, drive myself) but camping this year for the first time. If you're antisocial just get drunk.
    Coachella 2002-2019

Me in 2013. Had a great time. Hit a record 39 sets, and needed physical therapy afterwards.
    Even though I look like one, I'm not a cop.

Coachella 10, 12.1, 13.1, 14.2, 15.1, 16.2
    SXSW 14
    Lalapalooza 94

Go solo, watch San Holo
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Went solo 2016 Weekend 2, it was amazing, I'm going solo this year too. Ended up catching 3 random dudes to share this hotel with who were all going solo. At the Fest I didn't really hangout with them though so I was solo the entire festival. Last year I went with someone and it was better solo for me, don't gotta worry about set conflicts and you meet people.

Went solo in 16 and it was easily the best time I had. Like someone else said, I was able to see the most sets I've seen at the fest about 30+. And if i didn't go solo I doubt I would of seen my favorite sets of the weekend, I know for sure I would of missed Parov Stellar which was the most fun set of the weekend for me.

In 2016 I met up with a group of people from this board but I don't think they are doing it again this year. So I'm trying to make my own group or join one. If I can't join one I'm just going to get down with my neighbors in Car camping. As long as you can say "Hello", "where are you guys from" and "who are you going to see" you should easily make friends or at the very least find people to hang out with during a set.

Pros-
    -If you are going for the music I guarantee a great time
    -Do whatever you want, if you want to sit or lay down in the back during a set you can. If you want to camp out so you are front row you can you only have your schedule to worry about.
    -Don't have to spend 20+ minutes waiting for someone else to get ready or trying to find some one

Cons-
    -If you are going for the party scene then I hope you have fun
    - If you don't know your limits then you are on your own I guess
    - Other than that I don't really have anymore cons, hard to win Carpoolchella also if you are camping, I always camp

Have gone solo a few times, but have met up with people from other parts of the globe once there. I ALWAYS end up solo every day at some point & it's the best thing ever if you are a fellow social introvert. This year, no different...arriving and leaving solo, but once onsite i'm in my happy place for a few days of the year & it's the best time ever!
    Quote Originally Posted by billtino View Post
    Class of 1999, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 W2, 2013 W1, 2014 W2, 2015 W2, 2016 W2, 2017 W2, 2018 W1

Maybe, but I'm sure your the first to post a thread about it.
    Even though I look like one, I'm not a cop.

Coachella 10, 12.1, 13.1, 14.2, 15.1, 16.2
    SXSW 14
    Lalapalooza 94

I usually go with friends, but did solo for the most part in 2008 and 2011 and those were my two favorite years of the 10 I've attended.

Bottom line - as others have said, with friends it's a great shared time, but going alone inevitabley leads to a more impactful musical experience... you see everything you want to see, but more importantly, when you're in the set, it's just you and the music, there's no pal suddnely chatting in your ear at the best moment of your favorite song, no checking texts every couple minutes to see if friends are on their way, where they're going, etc, etc.

And when you need a little social interaction - Coachella crowds are the absolute best - everyone there is a music lover, most super knowledgeable, and nearly all are happy to talk about it - what they've already caught, who they want to see - ad nauseum. I've never felt alone the years I've gone alone, except maybe on the wind down of Sunday night. Leaving the grounds at the end without friends is a bit of a downer, but the first 38 or 39 of the fest's 41 hours you won't mind at all.
    Radiohead - The Xx - Father John Misty - Bonobo - DJ Shadow - Guided By Voices - Preservation Hall Jazz Band - King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - The Interrupters - Klangstof

Beyonce - Bon Iver - Nicholas Jarr - Tycho - Four Tet - The Avalanches - Banks & Steelz - Car Seat Headrest - Mitski - Floating Points

Kendrick Lamar - New Order - Future Islands - Hans Zimmer - Toots & The Maytals - Devendra Banhart - Lee Fields & The Expresions - Whitney - Preoccupations - Hinds - Ezra Furman - Pond

i'm going solo to both weekends this year but meet up with my coachella family. 7 cars deep this year ... i cant wait

HI from HOUSTON!! IT's my first trip to Coachella EVER, and I'm riding SOLO, 32 yr old Female...I'm very social so I'm not the least bit worried at all about meeting new people. I'm super excited more than nervous!!! Hit me up, if you'd like to meet up and hang out. Social drinker, NO Drugs...I plan on making it back hm! LOL I'm flying into LAX Fri @ 930am car camping! #PEACE #LOVE #MUSIC Let's get it!! WOOOOO WE'RE GOING TO COACHELLA BITCHES!!

Solo 10 years in a row. Absolutely awesome time every year. I've met some great people. Do it!

I've done solo and with others both have their advantages

solo: no debate on groups you want to see ...go where you want
    easy to meet people
    wake up and go when you want ...everyone knows the 2nd and 3rd day can be tough to get up in the morn.

group: it's a lot of fun so long as you don't have a drama fool. I rarely see groups with a drama fool with them, but when I have I'm glad they aren't with us.
    advantage you don't always have to wait in line for beer and drinks...shared duty

Maybe we can meet up, im going solo and coming from Toronto

Going solo again. Done it a bunch of times. A lot of positives come out of these experiences. Enjoy!

I am going to Coachella 2019 solo. Add me on Instagram if you are too! @troye_raus

I've gone to Coachella solo a couple times, and I actually have had a better time than going with a group. You get to see all the shows you want to, and don't have to worry about pleasing anyone else.