Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FYF Fest 2018

Default FYF Fest 2018

Coming back July 20-23 at Exposition Park.

http://www.fyffestpartners.info/#intro

Confirmed:
    Cuco

Rumors:
    Jamiroquai
    Yaeji
    Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks
    Car Seat Headrest
    Last edited by lifeofgeoff; 02-16-2018 at 10:42 AM.

Default Re: FYF Fest 2018

^And quite a few on here were so sure it wasn't going to happen in 2018 under the same name...

Doubt I'll be going back this year, but ya never know...

"Money can't give what the truth takes away."

I was kinda hoping it would go back to two days.

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

Site was confusing but I believe you. 3 Days is a lot. By Sunday I just chilled at the Main for Little Dragon-Solange-NIN. But I’m always down
    "HIGH END RAP MUSIC! GHETTO STADIUM SHIT! THEY AIN'T WANT US AT THE FESTIVALS
    NOW WE WILL RUN THEM!"
    -Kanye West

i liked the three days. especially since friday started later.
    '07, '10, '11, '12 Wk1, '13 Wk1, '13 Wk2, '14 Wk1, '14 Wk2, '15 Wk1, '15 Wk2, '16 Wk1, '16 Wk2

weird the site is down, and is asking for a password

Im sure we will get a better idea of whatever happens when Panorama announces. But I'll still choose pitchfork over this and maybe just go to ny and catch the bulk of whatever crosses over. So no caches of the page before it got locked?

Eying an AirBnB on West 41st Drive near Figueroa, a few blocks south of the venue so an easy walk. Is that neighborhood sketchy to walk back to late at night?

Considering there will be so many people around and extra police, youll be fine.

Edit: so what was the info on the site anyway, its not goldenvoice correct? They need help in putting it on? And how are we sure about this one cause this sources back to https://fyffest2016.squarespace.com also. Why use that url?
    Last edited by superfan; 01-05-2018 at 11:56 AM.

The info just talked about all the previous years and previous artists who have played as well as past sponsors.

There was a form towards the very end if I recall and it was for potential sponsors/advertisers and would go to AEG.

Other than that the only takeaway is that it's for sure happening and is 3 days again.

You should be able to see a cached version if you google the domain name and click the green down arrow next to the domain name on the search result

Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    Considering there will be so many people around and extra police, youll be fine.

Edit: so what was the info on the site anyway, its not goldenvoice correct? They need help in putting it on? And how are we sure about this one cause this sources back to https://fyffest2016.squarespace.com also. Why use that url?
    The site did talk about the festival as being something that was a partnership with Goldenvoice though.

Seems like this would have been something they would have updated after the 2017 fest to work on getting sponsorship partners for this year's event. I'm thinking it was likely set up prior to all the stuff came out about Carlson. Doubt it's any sort of confirmation that we can expect the fest to happen in '18. (I mean, there's still possibility for something to happen... either FYF under new ownership, GV doing something with a different name, etc.. I just wouldn't look at this site as confirmation of anything.)

Quote Originally Posted by gazercmh View Post
    Eying an AirBnB on West 41st Drive near Figueroa, a few blocks south of the venue so an easy walk. Is that neighborhood sketchy to walk back to late at night?
    Stayed almost exactly there last year and it was fine. I walked home alone one night, never really felt unsafe. Encountered some rottweilers that were just wandering around but they were very friendly, I was somewhat concerned they were guard dogs.

The shitty thing was that on Saturday and Sunday they made us walk all the way out the entrance on Expo Blvd only to turn around and walk all the way down Vermont to MLK. I timed it Sunday it was literally a 25 minute walk to just get on the other side of the fence. Friday they let me walk right onto MLK but there were a bunch of people sitting on the sidewalk trying to find ubers, blocking traffic and the like. Probably why they didn't let people do that again the following nights.

Thanks for the info, davers.

Thanks for the info, davers.
    No problem. I will say it's not exactly the nicest neighbourhood, but it seemed safe enough on that busy weekend anyway. It seemed like a good chunk of the houses in the area were rented to people attending the festival. If you can help it it's probably a good idea that everyone has a walking buddy on the way back, but like I said I did it alone once and was never really nervous. Everyone has a different threshold though.

Read up on the whole thing on the cache page. Very interesting, but it has to be a diff name though. Sean is the majority holder, so it cant be FYF anymore.

Wouldn't be shocked if they bought the name from Sean

Quote Originally Posted by lifeofgeoff View Post
    Wouldn't be shocked if they bought the name from Sean
    Theyre trying to, he isnt budging. Thats why Ive been leery on anything with this, and why that site was even up and such.

Theyre trying to, he isnt budging. Thats why Ive been leery on anything with this, and why that site was even up and such.
    Yeah looking back the site was .info and I can't see any reason for a commercial music festival to have a URL like that. I don't see anything on their Twitter or Facebook recently and I have no idea why they would make an entirely new website to announce dates for a festival that has been running for over a decade. Whole thing seems kind of fishy.

How did anyone even find that site in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by davers View Post

How did anyone even find that site in the first place?
    Google fyf 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Well I'll be damned it's actually the first thing that comes up. You'd think if it was meant as an announcement of the 2018 dates they would have done something on their other platforms though.

Begs the question why they made it and why it's now behind a password now.

If it was meant to serves its exact purpose which was just for sponsors to get info and such, it makes sense. But are there older versions of the same thing. They locked it most likely due to people going towards it. There shouldnt be a lot of traffic on there, so if there was a surge, then they know somethings up.

Theyre trying to, he isnt budging.
    If this is true, this doesn't strike me as smart on his part.
    At this point, he should be able to sell the brand for a decent amount, but the value of the brand will only go down as time passes. And I just can't seem to think of what he's hanging on to it for. Sure, the lion's share of festival attendees aren't going to care... But I imagine he'd have a much more difficult time booking artists at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by davers View Post
    Well I'll be damned it's actually the first thing that comes up. You'd think if it was meant as an announcement of the 2018 dates they would have done something on their other platforms though.

Begs the question why they made it and why it's now behind a password now.

That dude left as well. Reshaping everything

Well I am hoping it still happens and pulls:
    Fever Ray
    Childish Gambino
    Rosenstock
    Menzingers
    The Men
    Converge
    you are soooooooo good lookin

As Drewski pointed out earlier, Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks tour dates align nicely with them playing FYF.

As Drewski pointed out earlier, Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks tour dates align nicely with them playing FYF.
    which i would also watch the shit out of

but what the hell is going on with this fest? change of name? cancelled? is sean going to change it to a polka festival just to spite goldenvoice?

March 9 - Jawbreaker - Hollywood Palladium
    May 3rd - LCD Soundsystem - Santa Barbara Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    Chainsmokers are undeniably better than Jack White at this point.

Or could just end up being another show at Pappys, like fyf has been low key announcing shows for. Also, theres a few acts playign in l.a. that week which couldve easily been at fyf, but obviously plans changed. So...........

A San Diego show was announced for Malkmus on July 20 and they're booked for Phoenix on July 22. Still possible they could play FYF on Saturday.

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

Wonder if fyf not happening raises resale for Coachella