Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SOULWAXXXX

Default SOULWAXXXX

Ok people: educate me on Soulwax. I know who they are, I've watched some live vids, and they seem like a party, but I have never really been able to get into their recordings and I'd love to know some tunes going into this show. Where should I start?

Default Re: SOULWAXXXX

I'd start with Any Minute Now, but you really can't go wrong with any of their output. The show they're touring now is actually what they built the most recent album (From Deewee) out of, so it'll be heavy on those tracks for sure.

From 96-04, Soulwax produced three records that were more traditionally "rock" heavy. It wasn't until 2005 with their remix album Nite Versions that made them synonymous with dance music. From there they released a couple of remix albums (This is Radio Soulwax, Most of the Remixes...) which are played under their DJ-name 2ManyDJs. Soulwax, as a live act, mostly plays songs off Nite Versions and their new record From Deewee. Like their Despacio-counterpark, LCD Soundsystem, they are admired for their pechant for audio (i.e., analog synths, no backing tracks, lack of computers) and precise rhythm/showmanship; in other words, it's one of those acts that knows how to throw a party (even if you've never really listened to them before).

Some videos for you to check out below:

Part of the Weekend Never Dies (Robot Rock/Phantom II Remix)- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya1bRwWb-IY
    This was part of their Radio Soulwax tour (which they haven't done since then), but it captures the energy of their live shows and the crowd. I particularly like this clip because of Tiga's commentary ("cool your jets. it's soulwax")

Miserable Girl (Live) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG1PsK7zDrQ
    This is from last year when Soulwax started touring again in Europe. Listen for the build up and watch the crowd go completely ape shit at the one minute mark.

Krack/It's Always Binary (Live)- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSg6z0G_68E
    Another live video from their most recent tour that gives you a pretty good bird's eye view of the whole stage.

Nite Versions - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apYyM3MY--o
    Full album on all your major streaming services. If you need a new workout album, this is it.
    Last edited by billypilgrimisunstuck; 01-03-2018 at 12:25 PM.

You said you know who they are so I assume that means you know they're the Belgian brothers who dj as 2ManyDJs and record as a band under the Soulwax name. And they partnered with James Murphy for the Despacio tent two years ago.

The Soulwax records are good to great, and they used to record alternate "Nite Versions" of their songs as a throwback to bands that did "Nite Version" remixes to make their songs more dance floor-friendly.

Their latest album, From Deewee, was recorded live in one take, so they've got real confidence in their live show abilities. They played the Sahara in 2007 and were outstanding. Don't miss them.

Here's a recent video from their latest album, done live in a studio:

Here's an older live clip of E-Talking (Nite Version)

My god, that last video just gave me chillls!!!!

When I saw them in Portugal last year at NOS Alive, it was game changing. E Talking was so next level.
    anything could happen

Quote Originally Posted by billypilgrimisunstuck View Post
    From 96-04, Soulwax produced three records that were more traditionally "rock" heavy. It wasn't until 2005 with their remix album Nite Versions that made them synonymous with dance music. From there they released a couple of remix albums (This is Radio Soulwax, Most of the Remixes...) which are played under their DJ-name 2ManyDJs. Soulwax, as a live act, mostly plays songs off Nite Versions and their new record From Deewee.
    Perfect, this is what I really needed to know. On Spotify, Nite Versions has barely any listens, the first seven tracks are all under 100k listens, and a bunch of their other albums have a lot more. I like what I've heard of Nite Versions, was just not sure if that's where the focus will be.

Psyched.

Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    Perfect, this is what I really needed to know. On Spotify, Nite Versions has barely any listens, the first seven tracks are all under 100k listens, and a bunch of their other albums have a lot more. I like what I've heard of Nite Versions, was just not sure if that's where the focus will be.

Psyched.
    It's funny because Nite Versions was one of the first albums to define the electro house sound that had a huge impact for about 10 years. It's only now that we see GV deviating from that type of music while bringing us what will be one of the best sets of the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldragon03 View Post
    It's funny because Nite Versions was one of the first albums to define the electro house sound that had a huge impact for about 10 years. It's only now that we see GV deviating from that type of music while bringing us what will be one of the best sets of the weekend.
    Truth

Quote Originally Posted by arya. View Post
    When I saw them in Portugal last year at NOS Alive, it was game changing. E Talking was so next level.
    YESSS!!! I was there too and that set was UN-fucking-REAL!!! Prepare for a top 5 set of the weekend here fella Coachella peeps, no question.

Soulwax & Foals were my top 2 sets of that festival weekend, and that lineup was beyond stacked!

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldragon03 View Post
    Hopefully some of the EDM whores still floating around get themselves a dosage of the real stuff.

Just what Dr Diagonal ordered.

THIS SET IS GONNA BE FUCKIN EPIC!!!!

Hey friends. Who's ready for this one?

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Shut Up Forever Almost All of You.

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    The odds of a TH reunion are about the same as the odds of all you goddamn morons disappearing from here forever.
    SEE YOU AT WEEKEND ONE!

I had stopped listening to Soulwax for awhile so it'd be more fresh at the fest. Just blasted through Nite Versions yesterday. Holy shit am I psyched.

So ready. Pleaseeee close a tent

If there is any logic and beauty in the universe, they'll close down Mojave after Jamiroquai has finished playing somewhere else. Ending a night with NY Excuse would be fucking legendary. My #2 for Friday.

My #1 for the weekend.

They're in my top 5 live acts of all time, though I haven't seen them since 2011 when they were still a four-piece. As I missed their 2007 set, I'm unreasonably excited to finally see them at Coachella.

Crossing my fingers for 2manydjs to be the Do Lab guests Sunday night of Weekend 2!

Totally ready to be thizzin so hard during their set.
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Smooches. =)
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Shut it down.

So psyched for the Dewaele bros trifecta after 2ManyDJs/hours of Despacio in 2016. (Just reminded myself of that epic Prince finish to Despacio late Sunday aft. Goosebumps...)

The likely run of JMJ-->Jamiroquai-->Soulwax might be the most incredible dance night ever, y'all

Yess, its been a month or 2 since I last listened really to the Coachella Artists. Blastin Nite Versions again and so ready for those set times so that I can plan to end my night with Soulwax.

Ok seriously... its time to get this Board moving. We're one week out and all I see are "Looking For Tix" / "Selling Tix"

So take it somewhere else people, its time to talk about music!!!!!!

I haven't seen SOULWAX since 2010, and at that point it was still version 2.0. Now its 3.0 and it's all about the drums. Hope some of you that are on the fence give them a shot. It will be one of the most explosive sets of the weekend.

Lurker

Oh man I’m so psyched about it!!!! Honestly, if anyone wants to meet up for Soulwax/Jamiroquai, just hit me up lol I’m 100% in!!! I already know my friends are going to drop me for The Weeknd but I can’t miss them so... Soulwax/Jamiroquai it is !

Do they ever play Too Many DJs live? Don't see it on any setlists..

This is a half-full tent. Its amazing.

Wow. Soulwax with the fucking set of the weekend!
    5/19/17 Thundercat @ Observatory SD
    6/8/17 Sam Gellaitry @ Observatory SD
    6/21/17 Roger Waters @ Staples Center
    7/1/17 Tycho, Todd Terje & the Olsens, and Jaga Jazzist @ Greek LA
    8/6/17 Kendrick Lamar @ Staples Center
    8/12/17 Hans Zimmer @ Viejas Arena

Wow. Wow. Wow. When your set of the weekend exceeds all expectations, I have no words.

Yeah, that was unreal. So glad they were allowed to run over.

Amazing set, don't miss it W2
    7/21 Lake Street Dive . 7/23 Animal Collective . 7/31 Beach House . 9/15 Beyoncé & Jay-Z . 9/29 The Decemberists . 10/4 Phoenix . 10/5-10/7 ACL Fest . 10/28 Rüfüs Du Sol

Im hungry for reviews! Sounds like it wasnt packed? What time should i get there if i wanted a decent spot (10-15 rows back)? I want to catch some of St vincent but want to manage my time.