Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Lineup: 5 Smart, 5 Dumb, 5 Missed

Default 2018 Lineup: 5 Smart, 5 Dumb, 5 Missed

This is pre-research, and I still have to check out a bunch of stuff on the lineup, so my list may change a bit later. But as of right now:

5 Smart:
    1. The War on Drugs - Coming off one of the better albums of the year, they're probably the act I'm looking forward to seeing the most.

2. Eminem - Yeah yeah, I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't give a shit. Revival sucked ass but Em is still one of the greatest of all time and I don't think he'll be playing much off his new album anyway. Maybe I'm just old, but I'd prefer him in a heartbeat over most newer bullshit rappers out nowadays.

3. LEON - She doesn't have a very big catalog yet (only a couple of EPs) but man, the stuff she's released so far is great.

4. BORNS - Initially, I thought it might be too soon to bring him back just 2 years since his last appearance, but I guess his new album is dropping this month, so hopefully he'll have some good new material to preform. His show in 2016 was real good.

5. alt-J - Might be in the minority again here, but I thought their latest album was perhaps their best work to date. Also, I haven't seen them live before so looking forward to it.

5 Dumb:
    1. Migos: I mean, it's fking Migos.

2. SZA - Crap music imo and WAAAAYYYY to highly billed. Wasn't she down at the bottom 3 lines her last appearance just a couple of years back? smh

3. The Weeknd - This seems like the laziest booking. He preformed at so many festivals over the last year, and Starboy will be almost a year and a half old by the time Coachella arrives. And with Beyonce already headlining, two pop headliners doesn't sit right.

4. Cardi B - duh

5. French Montana - Why?

5 Missed:
    1. The National
    2. Lana Del Rey
    3. Iron & Wine
    4. London Grammar
    5. Mondo Conzo

Honorable Mentions Missed: Noah Gundersen, Electric Guest, Temples, MUNA
    Last edited by TheBlueBus; 01-30-2018 at 11:04 AM.

Default Re: 2018 Lineup: 5 Smart, 5 Dumb, 5 Missed

Smart
    Jamiroquai // David Byrne // Eminem // FIDLAR // Chic ft. Nile Rodgers - bunch of good acts that have rarely (if ever) played chella.

Missed
    N*E*R*D* // The Prodigy // Yeah Yeah Yeahs // QOTSA // Kid Cudi - N*E*R*D* and the prodigy are my biggest WTF's, can't believe they missed the ball on those two.

Dumb
    Migos // Cardi B // Post Malone // French Montana // blackbear - i understand these are pretty much the acts they'll be shooting for from now on, still think it's dumb.

Smart:
    David Byrne - The standout booking on the poster. Even in a stronger year, would be a must-see.
    A Perfect Circle - Not even a MJK fan, but I know how vast and loyal their fanbase is, and I'll take their fanbase on the polo fields over most others.
    Fleet Foxes - Surprised they're only 7th billed, but Crack-Up was in my top 5 albums of 2017.
    Jamiroquai - A big get given their lack of touring.
    X Japan - I'd honestly never even heard of these guys until a few friends were freaking out over their name on the poster. Left-field bookings are what I love and miss.

Dumb:
    The Weeknd - There's always a "sloppy seconds" headliner, but "sloppy seconds" might be too generous, cause The Weeknd has been at every festival for the last 6 years, including two Coachellas.
    Eminem - It's 2018. If he were booked 10 years ago, the reaction still would've been "Hasn't his time passed?"
    Vance Joy - Does this guy have a second mediocre alt-radio hit since his last appearance I haven't heard?
    The Neighbourhood - See Vance Joy.
    Kygo - I know the Chainsmokers' absence is a moral victory, but Kygo doesn't seem that far off.

Missed:
    Carly Rae Jepsen - If they decided go to full pop, why not book one of pop's critical darlings who also has some crossover appeal with festival veterans?
    The National - Coachella was pretty much the only major festival to skip them on TWFM, so a great new album combined with their own festival a week later, this seemed like an inevitable booking. I know there's that weird iHeart thing, but St. Vincent made it despite her Palladium show.
    Pearl Jam - Playing SA Lolla, free in April, never played, and would've been preferable to The Weeknd or Eminem for sure.
    Slowdive - Probably more of a missed booking last year, but the new album was featured heavily in year-end lists, and would've been a nice victory lap.
    Brian Eno - Everyone was asking who this year's Hans Zimmer would be, and the answer is...no one. But I was very on-board with the Brian Eno speculation.

Smart
    Chic (finally)
    David Byrne
    A Perfect Circle
    Jean Michel Jarre
    Soulwax

Missed
    Nine Inch Nails
    Fever Ray
    Slowdive
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs
    Charli XCX

Dumb
    Cardi B
    alt-J
    Post Malone
    French Montana
    The Weeknd/Eminem

Smart:
    1) The Weeknd -- not my thing, probably won't see his set, but this is what Coachella is supposed to do: advance someone over a number of years into headlining position if they successfully navigate moving from the underground to stardom.
    2) Beyonce -- a pretty big coup for the festival, even if it's a year late. Getting the biggest pop star on the face of the planet to play at a moment of pop's cultural ascendancy is a big, big deal.
    3) David Byrne -- Coachella used to book stuff like this all of the time pre-2015, and it's nice to see it happening, especially if it will be a cool setup / show that he's touring.
    4) Chic feat. Nile Rodgers -- see above. Also, this live band is so tight and funky and well rehearsed.
    5) Lower line indie rock acts, including but not limited to Big Thief, PRIESTS, Japanese Breakfast, Cherry Glazerr, and Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever. Reports of rock and roll's death have been greatly exaggerated, and it's refreshing to see some good newer and largely non-white dude acts performing.

Missed:
    1) The National -- it's been seven years, they're touring a great new record with big adult themes and refreshing new musical ideas added to their normal palate. Should absolutely be subheadlining one day, and it's a huge miss that they're not.
    2) Really, any other bone for the fans of 2000s indie rock. Wolf Parade, Broken Social Scene, YYYs, Cut Copy, etc. Even just one or two acts like that make the bill a whole lot more appealing to the most recent prior generation of Coachella attendees.
    3) Slowdive -- goddamn it.
    4) Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit -- maybe the decade's best songwriter and a killer live band, relegated once again to Stagecoach.
    5) While the festival corrected some of the under-bill issues with indie rock, it could have done better with singer songwriter stuff. Margo Price, Phoebe Bridgers, Lilly Hiatt, Julien Baker, John Moreland. A lot of incredible stuff begging for (and deserving of) a bigger audience. This is another area that's increasingly not white dude dominated.

Dumb:
    1) Eminem - what a fucking waste of a big stage.
    2) Post Malone -- this clown showing up billed sixth is what the festival bubble bursting looks like.
    3) A Perfect Circle -- who exactly is this for? It's certainly not the current generation of attendee, and it's not really the previous generation either. A lot of money spent on a band that no one will watch and that very honestly is not that good anyway. If you're going to go down this path, just pay Billy Corgan or Courtney Love or Rivers Cuomo to show up instead.
    4) The billing given to each of the immediate six subheadliners. Extremely underwhelming. I get that my tastes are not being catered to in the current environment, and that's something I've largely made peace with. But this seems like a lot of overbilling to compensate for whatever the cost is of paying Beyonce and Eminem. Kygo? Portugal. The Man? ODESZA? Is this really where we are at? Fucking dire. Perhaps the problem is that outside of a handful of huge pop stars and legacy acts from decades earlier, nothing is truly, broadly popular these days -- or at least popular as we once understood it.
    5) Bleachers -- fuck that guy, I am so sick of him.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Smart
    1. Jamiroquai
    2. David Byrne
    3. Chic
    4. Soulwax
    5. Talaboman

Missed
    1. Fever Ray
    2. Orbital
    3. Slowdive
    4. Amelie Lens
    5. The Presets

Dumb
    1. Migos
    2. Post Malone
    3. The Neighborhood
    4. Deorro
    5. French Montana

Smart
    - Chic
    - David Byrne
    - Django Django
    - Eminem (Another in the Minority here, basically biggest living rapper who had not yet played a full Coachella set, fact that it's Sunday's closer as opposed to Friday's opener leads me to think GV is hoping for another Dr. Dre / Snoop customized epic closer rather than Em's standard current set)
    - The high percentage of returning artists that actually have great new material to support. The bulk of this year's repeat acts feel overall more justified than what we've seen over the past few years - War On Drugs, St. Vincent, Kamasi Washington, Fleet Foxes, Ibeyi, Vince Staples, Perfume Genius, Angel Olsen, Miguel, Thee Oh Sees have all cranked out some pretty great music since their last appearance.

Missed
    - Michael Kiwanuka - probably outside demo of fest now but would have instantly been top five act for me.
    - Slowdive
    - Prodigy
    - The National
    - Wolf Parade

Dumb
    Haim - one album wonders, new album is garbage
    Cardi B/SZA/Kelela - hate where contemp Alt-R&B/Hip Hop is right now stylistically and these girls are poster children on the female side of the genre
    Migos/Post Malone - Poster Children for the male side of the genre
    The Weekend - what everyone else said.
    Alt J - This era's MGMT, each new thing they do is so significantly worse than previous effort, but they keep bringing them back - so many better options to fill this slot.
    Radiohead - The Xx - Father John Misty - Bonobo - DJ Shadow - Guided By Voices - Preservation Hall Jazz Band - King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - The Interrupters - Klangstof

Beyonce - Bon Iver - Nicholas Jarr - Tycho - Four Tet - The Avalanches - Banks & Steelz - Car Seat Headrest - Mitski - Floating Points

Kendrick Lamar - New Order - Future Islands - Hans Zimmer - Toots & The Maytals - Devendra Banhart - Lee Fields & The Expresions - Whitney - Preoccupations - Hinds - Ezra Furman - Pond

Smart:
    1. Beyonce
    2. Jamiroquai
    3. David Byrne
    4. Yaeji
    5. Chic feat. Nile Rodgers

Dumb:
    1. The Weeknd, unless he releases a new album
    2. French Montana
    3. Post Malone
    4. Louis The Child
    5. Kygo

Missed:
    1. Broken Social Scene
    2. Grizzly Bear
    3. N.E.R.D.
    4. Frank Ocean
    5. Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Smart:

Jamiroquai
    David Byrne
    Detroit Love
    Los Angeles Azules
    St. Vincent

Dumb:

Cardi B
    Eminem
    Vance Joy
    Kygo
    Migos

Missed:

Jawbreaker - pretty surprised knowing they were pretty much signed on a few years back. but they'll be more active this year, especially in the west coast.
    Chemical Brothers
    YYY's
    The National
    QOTSA

Smart:
    Beyoncé
    Nile Rodgers & Chic
    Daniel Caesar
    Vince Staples
    Kelela

Dumb:
    The Weeknd
    Migos
    French Montana
    blackbear

Missed:
    N.E.R.D
    Childish Gambino
    The National
    Waxahatchee
    Rapsody
    HM: The Cool Kids
    Last edited by justinrecio; 01-04-2018 at 01:33 PM.

Smart:
    David Byrne
    Jamiroquai
    Chic
    Yaeji
    Beyoncé

Dumb:
    The Weeknd
    Post Malone
    A Perfect Circle
    Los Angeles Azules
    Migos

Missed:
    Orbital/Chemical Brothers
    Slowdive
    Jawbreaker
    Childish Gambino
    Wolf Parade/YYY's/Broken Social Scene/the National
    Coachella 09, 10, 11, 12(WK1), 13(WK2), 14(WK2), 15(WK1), 16(WK1), 17(WK1), 18(WK1)

It's all about the music.

Smart:
    St. Vincent
    David Byrne
    Chic feat. Nile Rodgers (how many times did he say this was happening before it finally did?)
    Japanese Breakfast
    Soulwax

Dumb:
    The Weeknd
    Eminem
    Post Malone
    Cardi B
    the second-billed acts (Haim sophomore-slumped hard so why so high, SZA is great, but second billing after just one album and still playing small theaters as opposed to arenas?)

Missed:
    reunion?
    rock headliner?
    Massive Attack
    Fever Ray
    Alice Glass

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    2) Really, any other bone for the fans of 2000s indie rock. Wolf Parade, Broken Social Scene, YYYs, Cut Copy, etc. Even just one or two acts like that make the bill a whole lot more appealing to the most recent prior generation of Coachella attendees.
    SERIOUSLY. We don't ask for much!! 1-2 more bands per day makes a huge difference.

Smart:
    Beyonce
    David Byrne
    Jamiroquai
    Chic
    Yaeji

Missed:
    Cut Copy
    Beck
    Friendly Fires reunion
    Carly Rae Jepsen
    DFA 1979

Dumb:
    Eminem - ewwww. not a good vibe to end Sunday night AT ALL
    SZA/Odezsa/Haim as second billed subs - eyeroll
    Cardi B/Migos
    Kygo
    Post Malone
    Quote Originally Posted by svatomictwist View Post
    I spin in both directions, and I also dance in FRACTIONS.
    2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011!!!, 2012 (w1), 2013 (w2), 2014! (w2), 2015!! (w2), 2016 (w2), 2017 (w2)...

Smart:
    1. The War on Drugs
    2. LP
    3. Kamasi Washington
    4. Busy P
    5. Yaeji

Dumb:
    1. Cardi B
    2. Migos
    3. alt-j
    4. Deorro
    5. French Montana

Missed:
    1. FEVER RAY
    2. Yeah Yeah Yeahs
    3. Florence + The Machine
    4. London Grammar
    5. Carly Rae Jepsen
    6. Beck
    7. Cut Copy
    8. Childish Gambino
    9. NERD
    10. Broken Social Scene
    anything could happen

old school

Quote Originally Posted by thepiratepenguin View Post
    Smart:
    X Japan - I'd honestly never even heard of these guys until a few friends were freaking out over their name on the poster. Left-field bookings are what I love and miss.
    Welcome to Chicago Lolla 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    Welcome to Chicago Lolla 2010.
    Good post, thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Smart
    The Weeknd - He is this years cheap headliner and that’s why it’s great pickup. Just line Kendrick I’m expecting a huge year for him.

Jamiroquai - Gets me so excited to see a bunch of people post how excited they are to see him and will be everyone’s fav act once the weekends are over.

David Bryne - Coachella still has that touch of booking one of a kind gets. Getting with good terms with David for a possible desert days must see reunion.

Cardi B - You guys can talk all the shit you want but this girl is a real performer. I saw her at Day For Night and for the 4 tracks she did she was amazing. Coachella have her a big budget so expect a full set.

Sorona stage- getting artist like Snail Mail, Fazerdaze, Banes World, And etc show it’s growing and will be a must hit stage in the future for indie artist.

Bad

Eminem - we know it had to happen but why now? Will he be done touring for good or something? His new record was a joke and so are his performances

Migos - Feel like everyone’s over them now

Letting Mgmt boss you around. How the fuck did Haim get sub after putting out a mediocre record? Can go on a tangent but I really don’t want to look at that ugly poster again lol.

French Montana- ....

Alt J - just like the migos lil too late.

Missed
    Misfits - they were great at the forum and would of been a must see for everyone
    Fever Ray - would of been a cool closer to go against a headliner
    Khalid - when they get him next he’ll sub headline
    Billie Elish- she’s going to be an eye sore of a 2nd line now
    Arctic Monkeys- perfect rock headliner for most
    Last edited by lifeofgeoff; 01-03-2018 at 02:33 PM.

what makes you think The Weeknd was cheap?
    3.23 Broken Social Scene . 4/13-4/15 Coachella W1 . 4/18 Foo Fighters & The Struts . 4/21 The Breeders . 4/23 Perfume Genius . 4/24 QOTSA & Wolf Alice . 4/28 Slowdive & SURVIVE . 5/2 Jack White . 5/4 U2 . 5/30-6/2 Primavera Sound

Yeah he doesn't strike me as a cheap headliner at this point.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Good post, thank you
    x japan were about 25th name down on the entire 3 day 2010 Lolla poster and Perry made a big deal about booking them. Coachella put them about 30 names down on Saturday alone.

It went X Japan/Wolfmother/Soundgarden on the main stage at Lolla 2010.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by purplecow View Post
    -First time as a proper headliner at the big 4 US festivals(4th billed at ACL, 6th at Lolla)
    -End of his album campaign
    -Headlined Hangout 2015 in Alabama
    -Just a year ago he was booked behind the Strokes for the Latin Lollas(I thought the Strokes play anywhere for a million, kinda like the Black Keys/Weezer/Jane's for a similar amount)

He was top three at Roo last year and was going to be #2 at Lolla last year before dropping out last minute.

For people thinking The Weeknd was a dumb booking, do you really think he wont have a new album before Coachella? Seems like the same exact situation as Kendrick last year.

No way Coachella would book him after all his touring and then months off that tour.

If he doesnt have anything new, then its a bad choice. But I think something new is coming

Smart: Jamiroquai, St. Vincent, Beyonce, Tyler The Creator, Daniel Caesar (Honorable mentions:Kali Uchis, Noname, Amine, X Japan, Cuco, Jidenna)

Dumb: Cardi B - One hit song and some special guests won't be enough to carry her set, she'll need to drop a solid album by April.
    Migos - Probably not good live, they made like 10 guest appearances last year
    French Montana - I mean.. he kinda has a weak catalogue. He's going off of Unforgettable which was carried by Swae Lee
    The Weeknd - I love his music and he will always draw a huge crowd, but they didn't need to headline 2 pop/r&b hybrids with him and Beyonce.
    Kamaiyah: Weak catalogue unless she pumps out good music by April

Missed: Paramore: Had a strong 2017 with Zac returning to the band but Parahoy ends just a couple days before Coachella starts so it was never happening
    System of a Down: They started touring again and this line up desperately needs bigger rock acts. Could have headlined Friday.
    Childish Gambino: Not sure if anyone had a bigger year than him.
    Electric Guest: Finally had their sophmore album after YEARS of waiting.
    The Internet/Syd/Matt Martians/Steve Lacy: I mean why not??

Random notes: I give SZA a pass on her quick turn around. She was still very underground in 2016 and she sky rocketed this past year and has a new album to play off of.
    I also give Eminem a pass IF he mainly plays his older music and has Dr. Dre with him for a few songs. I'm not a fan of Post Malone but with his 2017 hype, it wasn't a bad move to put him on the line up. Too much R&B (even though I love the genre) not enough rock and balance in general. A lot of artists with thin catalogues as of right now. A lot of arists who played either 2016 or 2017 with too quick of a turn around (Even Vince Staples and Kamasi Washington and I love their music)

Quote Originally Posted by nzahir View Post
    For people thinking The Weeknd was a dumb booking, do you really think he wont have a new album before Coachella? Seems like the same exact situation as Kendrick last year.

No way Coachella would book him after all his touring and then months off that tour.

If he doesnt have anything new, then its a bad choice. But I think something new is coming
    Even if Kendrick didn't release DAMN. He still had To Pimp a Butterfly songs that he rarely ever performed so it would have still been fine. The Weeknd is mostly "bad" because it's overkill putting him and Beyonce as headliners.

Quote Originally Posted by purplecow View Post
    The reason he was cheap, is because his contract from his first Coachella show would have stated that he owes Goldenvoice X number of shows. They do it with all the artists. Get them whilst they are young, they sign the contract because it's Coachella, then they become huge, but are still on the low rates of the contract signed quite some years ago.

Depending on how you define smart...
    1. All the bookings that will cater the Beyoncé fans (SZA, Chloe x Halle, the wknd, French Montana etc)

Smart as in Coachella you dirty devil, you got me back with these bookings.

1. Jamaroquia - A Funk Odyssey was one of the few CDs I owned in high school, and honestly the only work I know. Will not be listening to anything until I see this live on the Polo Fields. For me this is equal to Royksopp playing last year.

2. David Byrne - equivalent to AC/DC for legendary status

3. Jean-Michel Jarre - going to be a mind melting experience.

4. Soulwax - another quality alternative electronic artist that will most likely be a mind melting experience.

5. The War on Drugs- as someone else mentioned, one of the better albums released last year, representing Rock n Roll on this years line up.

Dumb
    1. A Perfect Circle - WTF? Yeh I love this band and will be there (as long as they aren't closing the festival, too much for the last act of the weekend). Can't imagine them having a great crowd with the headliners this year. All I can think is that they owed Goldenvoice a show and they were cheap, and PT was looking out for his kind of festival attendee. Thanks Paul, I guess?

2. EMINEM - What the actual fuck. WORST headliner ever. Yes I know Jack Johnson headlined one year. Sunday night is going to be a grim place this year.

3.Chloe x Halle - Had the unfortunate experience of witnessing this train wreck open for Andra Day at a venue in Vancouver. 2 teenage girls with a keyboard they press play on and swirl their hair around. I guess that's what 12 year old girls want to see?

4. Alt J - Seriously???

5. Honestly there is a lot I don't like with this line up, but I have learnt that at Coachella nearly every artist on the line up is booked for a reason, so I'll leave it at 4.

Missed
    1. Basement Jaxx
    2. The National
    3. John Hopkins
    4. Lana del Ray
    5. Fever Ray

Smart
    Odesza - most respectable name in mainstream edm
    Soulwax - Coachella is finally ready for this to happen again, in the Sahara.
    John Maus - probably the most out of place artist on the lineup but the thought of him playing to a few hundred people sitting in the shade on Sunday afternoon makes me smile
    Princess Nokia - had one of my favorite hip hop albums of 2017, her career is relatively young but she definitely has the following to pack a tent in the midday
    Carpenter Brut - A hybrid of Danger, KAvinsky, Survive...what Coachella is supposed to sound like imo.

Dumb
    Detroit love - give me a solo moodyman set. Im tired of these dj supergroups who end up playing watered down versions of what they would normally play. Fourtet/daphni/floating points sucked. J.e.S.u.S. sucked. Im tired of this shit. Waste of $
    Giraffage - cheesedick garbage Kpop edm. One of the worst sets I ever experienced a few years ago
    French Montana - no one actually likes this dude
    Migos - going to be reeeeaaal awkward when cardi b and offset breakup before Coachella.
    A perfect circle - obviously a great fucking band, but Coachella in 2018 is not the place to see them. This should be QOTSA

Missed
    QOTSA
    $uicideboy$ - career has skyrocketed in the past year, I would consider them the godfathers of 'Soundcloud rap'.....as corny as that sounds. One of the few unique hip hop artists that have actually made a name for themselves...this should have been their year
    Steve Earle - Coachella usually throws country fans a bone and I thought his recent album had the most crossover appeal
    The Prodigy - at this point its never going to happen again even though they are still touring
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs - strange to see them on governors ball but not Coachella considering their 2009 set is an all-time classic. They would make the lineup way more appealing than alt-j (lmao), Haim, and Portugal the fucking man
    Last edited by InF3cT10uZ; 01-04-2018 at 02:06 AM.
    Guedita keeps me sane

Smart:
    1. David Byrne
    2. Jamiroquai
    3. Jean-Michel Jarre
    4. Soulwax
    5. Chic ft. Nile Rodgers

Dumb:
    1. Migos
    2. Cardi B
    3. Post Malone
    4. French Montana
    5. The Neighborhood

Missed:
    1. Fever Ray
    2. Massive Attack
    3. The National
    4. Slowdive
    5. Jon Hopkins

Smart:
    1. The War on Drugs - Such a great album this year.
    2. Fleet Foxes - Same
    3. alt-J - why all the hate? New album was great. Doubt most who criticize even checked it out.
    4. Angel Olsen - like her stuff.
    5. Eminem - New album sucked. Rest of his career material does not. Again, don't understand the hate.

Dumb:
    1. Migos
    2. Belly
    3. Post Malone
    4. SZA
    5. Cardi B

Missed:
    1. The National
    2. CHVRCHES
    3. St Lucia
    4. Lana Del Rey
    5. Slowdive