Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Lineup - Best Research Discoveries.

Default Re: 2018 Lineup - Best Research Discoveries.

Jacob Banks (at least it's a discovery for me)
    Delirians
    Regrettes
    Benjamin Clementine
    The Bronx
    I have been to concerts. I will go to concerts in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    And color me stupid but I didn't realize how many famous songs Nile Rodgers wrote. So excited for their set.
    Yeah, I had no idea myself until I went and checked out some setlists. That took me from "casually interested" to very excited.

Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    Yeah, I had no idea myself until I went and checked out some setlists. That took me from "casually interested" to very excited.
    Same. See you there! Well if you're W2, hah.

Nah, I'm a W1 guy. I got burned (literally) by W2 in 2012 and never went back.

In other discoveries, I'm really digging Tom Misch:

I actually prefer W2 but we just go whatever week my wife's job allows her to go. I'm way more flexible. We're pretty much alternating every other year at this point. Missed the insane heat last year as we went W1.

In no particular order:

1. Fazerdaze: Dreamy, drowsy pop with lovely melodies. Songs occasionally blend into each other, but it's always atmospheric, never boring. The last track on her album, Bedroom Talks, is one of my favorite songs - the music is strongest when its most playful.

2. The Buttertones: Dark, psychedelic surf-rock with doo-wop ballads thrown in and crooning vocals. A Tear for Rosie could easily be a new Franz Ferdinand single. Great stuff.

3. Ron Gallo: Garage rock with both fun and depth, mixing punk, glam and fuzz guitar. Listen to: Young Lady, You're Scaring Me

4. PVRIS: Dark, indie-electro pop-rock, with clean female vocals. Listen to Anyone Else.

5. Cherry Glazerr: Somewhere between early 80s post-punk and synthy guitar pop. Lead singer Clem Creevy rocks out hard on stage. Could be a great show. Nurse Ratched is a solid listen, as is Told You I'd be With the Guys.

Rolling Blackouts C.F.
    John Maus
    Priests
    The Drums (discography after first EP)
    Talaboman (finally listened to album)

I second Carpenter Brut. Holy shit they're badass. One word- Maniac!
    Last edited by jakedeez24; 01-10-2018 at 01:26 AM.

+1 Carpenter Brut

I already know there are many acts I'll have to skip on friday, but if I can catch full sets (+/- 10 minutes) of Jamiroquai, Soulwax, JMJ, and Carpenter Brut with a chance at seeing half sets by War on Drugs and St Vincent I'll start believing in miracles.
    setlist.fm | last.fm | facebook | twitter
    2006 • 2007 • 2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011
    • 2012 • 2013 • 2014 • 2015 • 2016 • 2017 • 2018
    3/16 Fischerspooner @ Observatory • 3/20 Cornelius @ Fonda Theatre • 4/17 David Byrne @ San Diego Civic Center •
    5/4 LCD Soundsystem/Yeah Yeah Yeahs @ Hollywood Bowl • 5/24 Phantogram/TYCHO/Poolside @ Cal Coast • 6/22 Belle & Sebastian/Japanese Breakfast @ Observatory

Quote Originally Posted by scenicworld View Post
    +1 Carpenter Brut

I already know there are many acts I'll have to skip on friday, but if I can catch full sets (+/- 10 minutes) of Jamiroquai, Soulwax, JMJ, and Carpenter Brut with a chance at seeing half sets by War on Drugs and St Vincent I'll start believing in miracles.
    My only hope for Friday is that there should be some great counter programming to The Weeknd, which I don't think will happen against Beyonce or Em.

old school

The Buttertones are great. Somehow have a huge LA following I was unaware of (sold out two Troubadour shows this weekend).

There should be another thread for worst discoveries. For every decent one I hear, I've gone thru tons of crap. Was holding out hope for the lineup, hoping I'd find some good lower booked artists. Not so much thus far.

This year there are a lot of "discoveries" that are actually acts I'd heard of but never taken the time to listen to. Really digging Japanese Breakfast right now. Soulwax is a top-3 act for me now. I never got into Jamiroquai until they were rumored to play.

Add those to the actual discoveries - Tom Misch, Carpenter Brut, BROCKHAMPTON, Tash Sultana, Greta Van Fleet, Los Angeles Azules - and I've added a bunch of acts that I really dig since the lineup came out.

Sadly, almost none of those are on Sunday, which started as the weakest day for me and has only fallen further behind the other two. Really wish I could get into King Krule, given how much everyone loved The OOZ, but I just don't get it.

I agree, good discovers have been a little slim for me. Finished with all of Fri, and almost done with Sat, and I'm definitely on pace to discover less good stuff than the past couple of years for sure.

Not sure how I breezed passed First Aid Kit a while back. Checked them out briefly and didn't give them much notice. But gave them another listen recently, and I really enjoy their stuff. New album coming next week too.

Listening to John Maus right now, very cool and synth-y.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ocbruin84 View Post
    Listening to John Maus right now, very cool and synth-y.
    that booking was out of no where, but it's going to be a great/unique set.
    3/16 Fischerspooner @ Observatory • 3/20 Cornelius @ Fonda Theatre • 4/17 David Byrne @ San Diego Civic Center •
    5/4 LCD Soundsystem/Yeah Yeah Yeahs @ Hollywood Bowl • 5/24 Phantogram/TYCHO/Poolside @ Cal Coast • 6/22 Belle & Sebastian/Japanese Breakfast @ Observatory

Quote Originally Posted by ElDuderino99 View Post
    There should be another thread for worst discoveries. For every decent one I hear, I've gone thru tons of crap. Was holding out hope for the lineup, hoping I'd find some good lower booked artists. Not so much thus far.
    Because it wouldn't be the Coachella Forum without everything being the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    Sadly, almost none of those are on Sunday, which started as the weakest day for me and has only fallen further behind the other two. Really wish I could get into King Krule, given how much everyone loved The OOZ, but I just don't get it.
    I really like King Krule and thought he was great at FYF last year, but I too am a bit baffled at the reception that The OOZ seems to be getting everywhere. I only listened to it a couple of times but I thought it was far from his best material.

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

Man Petit Biscuit is sooooooo good. I hope he closes against Eminem until like 11:35. That would be perfect
    "HIGH END RAP MUSIC! GHETTO STADIUM SHIT! THEY AIN'T WANT US AT THE FESTIVALS
    NOW WE WILL RUN THEM!"
    -Kanye West

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Man Petit Biscuit is sooooooo good. I hope he closes against Eminem until like 11:35. That would be perfect
    I fear he is going to be so packed that it will ruin my experience. He blew up so quick.
    10' - 11' - 12' W2 - 13' W1 - 14' W1 - 15' W1 - 16' W1 - 17' W1

You're not on the lineup no one wants to see u dj. Stop. Especially if you're going to play Calvin Harris u fuckin knob... - Reeber

RESPECT THE FORMULA - Guedita

that booking was out of no where, but it's going to be a great/unique set.
    If you were able to even get a ticket to his tour last year, you were lucky cause those sold out in seconds. It was easier to get a ticket for Infinity Mirrors than it was for John Maus.

Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    If you were able to even get a ticket to his tour last year, you were lucky cause those sold out in seconds. It was easier to get a ticket for Infinity Mirrors than it was for John Maus.
    the San Diego show was announced after I had already picked up tickets to see the National who played the same night so I never even tried. it was at the Soda Bar which is only a couple hundred people so I could expect it to be sold out before it went on sale. the BF almost ditched me to go see Maus.

old school

1. X Japan- I only saw 3 videos of them live in concert but jesus they blew me away. Best discovery so far, not sure their production can fit anywhere but Main/Outdoor but also don't know if they can pull a crowd for that stage after dark but god damn I want it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnZJE-rE4Zc

Some idea of stage set up and crowd size from the Lollapalooza Chicago 2010 videos.

1. Detroit Love - This years Belleville Three for me, in that I had no idea these guys had a project together. This is going to be a fun one, and probably the only time I get to venture into the Yuma in 2018.

2. The Delirians - This years ska act, with a lighter, Latin influence. Glad these guys are on Sunday, I'll almost definitely get to see them (as long as they aren't on at noon)

3. Aminι - There is so much Hip-Hop that I really dislike this year, discovering this guy was sort of a breath of fresh air. I had heard his name before, but never actually heard any song of his.

4. Tom Misch - This will be a great dance party in a tent. Hopefully conflict free, but considering he's on Saturday, I'm not counting on it.

5. Daniel Caeser - Damn this guy has one hell of a voice, but still surprised this guy is billed so high. Friday isn't too bad with conflicts, but I plan on camping for Jamiroquai, so I have a feeling I'll be missing his set.
    My old account "Mikey1313666" is down for whatever reason.

Moses Sumney. Oh man, is that album fantastic

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

Only heard Kali Uchis on Tyler’s stuff but man her solo stuff is sooooo good
    "HIGH END RAP MUSIC! GHETTO STADIUM SHIT! THEY AIN'T WANT US AT THE FESTIVALS
    NOW WE WILL RUN THEM!"
    -Kanye West

Moses Sumney. Oh man, is that album fantastic
    yesssss. easily one of my favorites of 2017. only saw the first few songs of his set at FYF because I had to leave for Iggy so really looking forward to this set.

Only heard Kali Uchis on Tyler’s stuff but man her solo stuff is sooooo good
    Yeah. Most of her best solo stuff is produced by Tyler too. and that new song with them and Bootsy Collins is so good.

You are awesome!!
    Absolutely awesome. Thank you!!

Haven't seen anyone mention Django Django yet - my fave discovery so far! I would definitely recommend them to anyone who has enjoyed Rufus [du Sol] or Jagwar Ma at Coachella in the past. Peppy dance rock with a psychedelic/electronic bent. They have a new album coming soon and the singles released so far are great! Sadly I could definitely imagine them going up against Beyonce in a tent though

Still researching but so far I have also been pleasantly surprised by Jidenna (Janelle guest appearance opportunity??), Cherry Glazerr, Rolling Blackouts CF, Hayley Kiyoko, and a bunch of Yuma artists.
    Quote Originally Posted by svatomictwist View Post
    I spin in both directions, and I also dance in FRACTIONS.
    2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011!!!, 2012 (w1), 2013 (w2), 2014! (w2), 2015!! (w2), 2016 (w2), 2017 (w2)...

I haven't spent any time really looking into Jidenna yet; I had no idea he was such a close collaborator with Janelle. All I really knew was the chopped & screwed version of Classic Man from Moonlight, which I was obsessed with. Definitely going to dig in now.