Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Lineup - Best Research Discoveries.

Default 2018 Lineup - Best Research Discoveries.

Not going to rush through this but will update over next few months as I work through the many, many names I don't recognize, and try to keep ranked in order of excitement, but so far...

Definitely Adding to Priority List

1. X Japan - Hard charging, stylistically wide-ranging Japanese Metal band that I guess is the most popular native band in that nation's history - my guess is this act will be top discovery for many rock-leaning boardies.

2. B Boys - young Brooklyn punk trio with an appealing Wire/Gang Of Four/Parquet Courts type vibe.

Nice Gap Fillers

3. Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever - Definite jangly, Go-Betweens-vibe to these upbeat, kinda chill Aussie Rockers.

4. The Delirians - Latino East LA band that plays a chill form of traditional reggae.

5. The Buttertones - One of several Latino anchored garage/surf punk outfit on the lineup, this one based in So Cal, they get the nod over others I've checked out since the lineup drop because of the eerie, otherworldly Chris Isaak/Morphine-ish bass & sax-driven tone of their most recent material - this is stuff that would feel right at home on a Tarantino/David Lynch soundtrack.

Probably Skip But Might Try To Catch A Few Minutes of

6. Snail Mail - Lo Fi Female angsty 90s/indie vibe, kinda Cruthfield-ish in vocal delivery, but not nearly as enticing.

7. Boogarins - Feels very much like a bunch of Brazilian Tame Impala-bes, a touch more garage-y. Not bad, but like Tame, interesting sonically but very little rock n' roll muscle. Realizing there's an abundance of psych-leaning acts on the lower lines of this year's line-up.

8. The Marias - Low Key psychedelic soul out of Los Angeles, agreeable, sometimes sexy sound, some nice songs, but nothing earth-shattering.

9. Mild High Club - Woozy, very laid back Psych-pop out of LA, shades of Morgan Delt, Andy Shauf, Youth Lagoon, and a lot of Mac DeMarco all swirling around in their sound.

10. Senor Kino - Upbeat, Surf-Punk/garage rock out of Sonora, Mexico, so you know they're in the Sonara Tent.

11. Banes World - mellow Chillwave with Psych-rock splashes, Memory Tapes and Neon Indian were first acts that came to mind when thinking of comparisons.

12. The Regrettes - Energetic, but super-young LA-Based, punk-pop quartet, hit a classic rriot girrl vibe in their edgiest moments but most of what I heard skews a bit poppier.
    Last edited by IlliniQ; 01-03-2018 at 11:11 AM.
    Radiohead - The Xx - Father John Misty - Bonobo - DJ Shadow - Guided By Voices - Preservation Hall Jazz Band - King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - The Interrupters - Klangstof

Beyonce - Bon Iver - Nicholas Jarr - Tycho - Four Tet - The Avalanches - Banks & Steelz - Car Seat Headrest - Mitski - Floating Points

Kendrick Lamar - New Order - Future Islands - Hans Zimmer - Toots & The Maytals - Devendra Banhart - Lee Fields & The Expresions - Whitney - Preoccupations - Hinds - Ezra Furman - Pond

Default Re: 2018 Lineup - Best Research Discoveries.

Alina Baraz - Downtempo R&B electronic

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

1. X Japan- I only saw 3 videos of them live in concert but jesus they blew me away. Best discovery so far, not sure their production can fit anywhere but Main/Outdoor but also don't know if they can pull a crowd for that stage after dark but god damn I want it.

2. Jungle- I've seen the name so many times before and I thought it was some cheesy DJ lmao. Soul group out of London, wow!

3. Tash Sultana- I've heard one of her songs before but never knew it was her. Multi-instrumentalist who really puts a lot into her music.

4. Knox Fortune- Executive producer on Joey Purrp's album and featured on Chance's "All Night" but doesn't necessarily make hip hop. It's a mix of a lot but he has control of production to his vocals and I really really dig it.

5. A Perfect Circle- Like Tool, but a little softer and i think I really like it

6. Alvvays- Dream pop band will be really good to start my coachella 2018 with Friday
    Last edited by WhyTheLongFace; 01-03-2018 at 07:36 AM.
    "HIGH END RAP MUSIC! GHETTO STADIUM SHIT! THEY AIN'T WANT US AT THE FESTIVALS
    NOW WE WILL RUN THEM!"
    -Some Guy

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    2. Jungle- I've seen the name so many times before and I thought it was some cheesy DJ lmao. Soul group out of London, wow!
    They stole the show last time they played, I just hope they dont melt away in the daytime heat on outdoor/main. Too good in a tent.

Yeah I'm pretty sure Jungle was my favorite set of the weekend the last time they played. I had planned on seeing at the Wiltern about a month ago but couldn't so I'm happy to see them show up here again.

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniQ View Post
    Not going to rush through this but will update over next few months as I work through the many, many names I don't recognize, and try to keep ranked in order of excitement, but so far...

Definitely Adding to Priority List

1. X Japan - Hard charging, stylistically wide-ranging Japanese Metal band that I guess is the most popular native band in that nation's history - my guess is this act will be top discovery for many boardies.

2. B Boys - young Brooklyn punk trio with an appealing Wire/Gang Of Four/Parquet Courts type vibe.

Nice Gap Fillers

3. Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever - Definite jangly, Go-Betweens-vibe to these upbeat, kinda chill Aussie Rockers. *****

4. The Delirians - Latino East LA band that plays a chill form of traditional reggae.

Probably Skip But Might Try To Catch A Few Minutes of

5. Snail Mail - Lo Fi Female angsty 90s/indie vibe, kinda Cruthfield-ish in vocal delivery, but not nearly as enticing.

6. The Marias - Low Key psychedelic soul out of Los Angeles, agreeable, sometimes sexy sound, some nice songs, but nothing earth-shattering.

7. Mild High Club - Woozy, very laid back Psych-pop out of LA, shades of Morgan Delt, Andy Shauf, Youth Lagoon, and a lot of Mac DeMarco all swirling around in their sound.

8. Senor Kino - Upbeat, Surf-Punk/garage rock out of Sonora, Mexico, so you know they're in the Sonara Tent.

9. Banes World - mellow Chillwave with Psych-rock splashes, Memory Tapes and Neon Indian were first acts that came to mind when thinking of comparisons.
    RBCF is going to grow on you I suspect. They came up on a "weekly discoveries" on spotify and really stood out.
    I have been to concerts. I will go to concerts in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
    They stole the show last time they played, I just hope they dont melt away in the daytime heat on outdoor/main. Too good in a tent.
    Seriously!!! They killed it! Hoping for a tent after dark. Fearing that they're gonna conflict with Byrne, Chromeo or Chic.. if somehow I get to see all 4 of those I'll be SO happy
    Quote Originally Posted by svatomictwist View Post
    I spin in both directions, and I also dance in FRACTIONS.
    2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011!!!, 2012 (w1), 2013 (w2), 2014! (w2), 2015!! (w2), 2016 (w2), 2017 (w2), 2018 (w2)...

very early still, but I really like Maceo Plex and Skip Marley (Bob's grandson).

Quote Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GolfWang View Post
    Yeah I'm pretty sure Jungle was my favorite set of the weekend the last time they played. I had planned on seeing at the Wiltern about a month ago but couldn't so I'm happy to see them show up here again.
    they were so good last time they played! I"m really happy they are back again! they also opened up for Underworld at their bowl show a few years ago and were good even with the huge boring bowl crowd.
    setlist.fm | last.fm | facebook | twitter
    2006 • 2007 • 2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011
    • 2012 • 2013 • 2014 • 2015 • 2016 • 2017 • 2018
    5/24 Phantogram/TYCHO/Poolside @ Cal Coast • 5/25 Fever Ray @ Hollywood Palladium • Janelle Monae @ Cal Coast Open Air Theater
    6/22 Belle & Sebastian/Japanese Breakfast @ Observatory • 7/30 Decemberists @ Humphrey's by the Bay
    10/5-6 Caj Jam 18 • 10/12-14 Austin City Limits

1. X Japan- I only saw 3 videos of them live in concert but jesus they blew me away. Best discovery so far, not sure their production can fit anywhere but Main/Outdoor but also don't know if they can pull a crowd for that stage after dark but god damn I want it.
    It would be awesome for them to be on the main stage after dark, but they can also translate to a smaller venue. I saw them in 2010 at the Wiltern. Just need room for both Yoshiki's drum set and piano.

I'm somewhere down in the pit. But I'm short, so...

Carpenter Brut
    Princess Nokia
    Guedita keeps me sane

BROCKHAMPTON is cumming in my ears.

what an incredible thing they have going.

Motor City Drum Ensemble - Best house music I've heard on this lineup. Usually the electronic music offerings are all about techno which I don't mind, but house is where I'm at.

Barclay Crenshaw - Claude Von Stroke doing more downtempo / hip hop / mushroom jazz. I can fuck with this tempo.

Cuco - Dreamy stoned music, reminds me of Connan Mockasin and Mild High Club. I fully expect to hear this music somewhere in the next season of High Maintenance if it isn't already and I haven't noticed.

I might do if I’m motivated enough but I really want someone (less lazy than me) to see how many countries these artists come from. It seems more international than normal.
    NOW WE WILL RUN THEM!"
    -Some Guy

Double
    NOW WE WILL RUN THEM!"
    -Some Guy

Quote Originally Posted by kenmixtap3 View Post
    Cuco - Dreamy stoned music, reminds me of Connan Mockasin and Mild High Club. I fully expect to hear this music somewhere in the next season of High Maintenance if it isn't already and I haven't noticed.
    Saw him at Day of the Dead at Hollywood forever, very chill, but cool set. Him and his friends are kinda silly on stage, but they are young and they already had a whole grip of screaming fans going crazy over him. But yeah definitely worth a check out.

Quote Originally Posted by InF3cT10uZ View Post
    Princess Nokia
    I didn't really know much about her before, but I saw her at FYF over the summer, and she put on a fantastic, and fucking fun show.
    2005, 2007, 2011, 2012 W1 & W2, 2013 W1 & W2, 2014 W1 & W2, 2015 W1 & W2, 2016 W1 & W2, 2017 W1 & W2,and SOON 2018 W1 & W2 !!

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Get over yourself you entitled bitch whore cunt ball.

Tash Sultana. Was wondering how someone with only 1 EP got booked so high, but whatever. Great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueBus View Post
    Tash Sultana. Was wondering how someone with only 1 EP got booked so high, but whatever. Great stuff.
    same, she's incredible
    4/28 Slowdive & SURVIVE . 5/2 Jack White . 5/4 U2 . 5/30-6/2 Primavera Sound . 7/21 Lake Street Dive . 7/23 Animal Collective . 7/31 Beach House . 9/15 Beyoncι & Jay-Z

On that yeaji train all damn day.
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Smooches. =)
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Shut it down.

Tried listening to BROCKHAMPTON and boy did that shit suck. Smh

Quote Originally Posted by purplecow View Post
    same, she's incredible
    So young too. Crazy talented

I might do if I’m motivated enough but I really want someone (less lazy than me) to see how many countries these artists come from. It seems more international than normal.
    So I had a lot of time at work (A LOT) and decided to take this upon myself because I was very curious myself! Of the current 165 acts, 64 of them are not based in the United States. Apologies if some of these are incorrect. I went through it pretty quickly, but I'm pretty sure it's all accurate.

LINK: Coachella 2018 Artist Origins
    2016 Wk1 | 2017 Wk1 | 2018 Wk1

Quote Originally Posted by justinrecio View Post
    So I had a lot of time at work (A LOT) and decided to take this upon myself because I was very curious myself! Of the current 165 acts, 64 of them are not based in the United States. Apologies if some of these are incorrect. I went through it pretty quickly, but I'm pretty sure it's all accurate.

Wow that's awesome, great job with that.

Slow Magic is probably from Colorado or somewhere like that, but he's done a surprisingly good job of keeping it a secret.

I can't stress how excited I am to have discovered Carpenter Brut in this lineup. They sound like a dark lovechild between Justice and Perturbator with tons of satanic imagery and live guitar and drums. At the right time of evening and with the right lighting/visuals I have a feeling this will be one of the runaway favorites for electronic sets this year. My only worry is that they play on Friday, which is shaping up to be my busiest day.

Quote Originally Posted by Pea View Post
    I can't stress how excited I am to have discovered Carpenter Brut in this lineup. They sound like a dark lovechild between Justice and Perturbator with tons of satanic imagery and live guitar and drums. At the right time of evening and with the right lighting/visuals I have a feeling this will be one of the runaway favorites for electronic sets this year. My only worry is that they play on Friday, which is shaping up to be my busiest day.
    Yeah, my buddy was playing their stuff in the car last night and I was getting pretty into it. If they don't conflict with Jamiroquai, Soulwax, or Detroit Love, I'll be there.
    My old account "Mikey1313666" is down for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by justinrecio View Post

You are awesome!!
    NOW WE WILL RUN THEM!"
    -Some Guy

So crazy to see all the California acts. Like it makes sense but crazy to see
    NOW WE WILL RUN THEM!"
    -Some Guy

So crazy to see all the California acts. Like it makes sense but crazy to see
    Yeah, I had the same exact thought when I was making the spreadsheet. Of course they're mostly LA-based too lol.
    2016 Wk1 | 2017 Wk1 | 2018 Wk1

Now that I'm back from Europe and a two+ day flight delay hell through that JFK blizzard, I finally have time to sit down and listen to the lineup acts I don't know (higher than usual amount of them). Man, BROCKHAMPTON. Finally a new hip-hop act defining a brand new sound for the genre instead of copying the trends. Such a breath of fresh air. Wildly creative dudes.

And color me stupid but I didn't realize how many famous songs Nile Rodgers wrote. So excited for their set.
    Last edited by travelfan; 01-08-2018 at 07:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pea View Post
    Oh look how creative