Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: David Byrne

Default David Byrne

Very very exciting BUT what do we expect? Do we think he'll do a fair amount of Talking Heads, just one or two, none at all? There really isn't much of a precedent so I'm intrigued as to what everyone thinks.
    anything could happen

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Default Re: David Byrne

Probably his solo records.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Check setlists.fm. His sets usually contain 1/3 to 1/2 Talking Heads songs.

Quote Originally Posted by arya. View Post
    Very very exciting BUT what do we expect? Do we think he'll do a fair amount of Talking Heads, just one or two, none at all? There really isn't much of a precedent so I'm intrigued as to what everyone thinks.
    At least half his set will be Talking Heads.
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorAve View Post
    Careful, while the threats are amusingly clueless, I could probably have this whole board shut down with one phone call.
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    2. Migos- The new Beatles.

Saw the Love This Giant tour with St Vincent. There was plenty of Talking Heads material in the set. After reading up on his production plans for this upcoming tour I am pretty excited to see him again.
    St Vincentx2| The Killers| QotSA| BRMC| Jack White| Shopping| Weezer| Coachella| Greta Van Fleet| APC| Cigarettes After Sex| Arctic Monkeys| BØRNS| Courtney Barnett| Poptone| Franz Ferdinand| U2x2| Peter Hook| GY!BE| Paul Simon| Johnny Marr| APtBS| NINx2| Arroyo Seco| Roger Waters| The Cure| MBV| ELOx2| Rodrigo y Gabriela| Erasure| David Byrnex2| Smashing Pumpkins| The National| Music Tastes Good| Courtney Barnett| Spiritualized| Nick Cave| PiL| TWDY| Echo & The Bunnymen

2009 setlist but looks pretty good:

Strange Overtones
    I Zimbra
    One Fine Day
    Help Me Somebody
    Houses in Motion
    My Big Nurse
    My Big Hands (Fall Through the Cracks)
    Heaven
    Air
    Life Is Long
    Crosseyed and Painless
    Born Under Punches (The Heat Goes On)
    Once in a Lifetime
    Life During Wartime
    I Feel My Stuff
    Take Me to the River
    The Great Curve
    Road to Nowhere
    Burning Down the House
    Everything That Happens

Top 3 most anticipated sets this year, hands down.
    My old account "Mikey1313666" is down for whatever reason.

His new solo album is expected to be released in March.

This article talks about the upcoming tour a bit. Sounds cool. https://www.jambase.com/article/davi...-tickets-album

At first glance, David Byrne is the only thing on the lineup that does anything for me. Hoping for a localchella show.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
    Saw the Love This Giant tour with St Vincent. There was plenty of Talking Heads material in the set. After reading up on his production plans for this upcoming tour I am pretty excited to see him again.
    And she'll probably come out for at least one song or vice versa, right?

David Byrne is the act I'm most excited to see on the poster this year.

The St Vincent collab and tour were both so much less than the sum of their parts. Don’t need to relive that at Coachella at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

I'm glad you guys got your guy
    "HIGH END RAP MUSIC! GHETTO STADIUM SHIT! THEY AIN'T WANT US AT THE FESTIVALS
    NOW WE WILL RUN THEM!"
    -Some Guy

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...-tour-w513977+

Byrne will play six shows on the East Coast, starting March 3rd at the Count Basie Theatre in Red Bank, New Jersey and wrapping March 10th at the Ulster Performing Arts Center in Kingston, New York. The trek marks the musician's first solo tour since 2009, though he was previously on the road with St. Vincent in support of their 2012 album, Love This Giant. Tickets for Byrne's 2018 tour dates will go on sale December 15th. More information is available on the musician's website.

A post on Byrne's website noted that the upcoming shows would featuring Talking Heads hits, as well as music from his forthcoming album (an exact release date and title have yet to be announced). Following the North American run, Byrne will play several festivals in South America and Europe, and the post suggested that additional festival dates would be announced soon.

Byrne also shared a personal note, in which he teased the concept for his new stage-show. The set-up, Byrne said, would be a big open space and the musicians will be equipped with wireless gear that will allow them to roam freely around the stage. In order to hide all the monitors, mixers, amplifiers and other gear, Byrne said they would use a lightweight chain instead of a regular curtain, which could've presented problems at outdoor venues.

"The band and I will be testing all of this in front of a live audience during a small number of shows in the beginning of March," Byrne said. "We'll be doing some new songs… and many others that will, I assume, be familiar. I'm excited. This is the most ambitious show I’ve done since the shows that were filmed for Stop Making Sense, so fingers crossed."
    It's funny how everything was roses when we held on to the guns.

Man, I'm also hoping for some locachella shows for this one. Don't think I'm going back to the grounds this year. What are the chances he adds some dates? His current schedule is pretty sparse.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    And she'll probably come out for at least one song or vice versa, right?
    Makes sense. And I am excited to see her solo show too. Maybe that's dampened a bit by already seeing her once in 2017 and twice in early part of 2018. David @Coachella feels more special, even if they don't get together.

Quote Originally Posted by Karnifexlol View Post
    Man, I'm also hoping for some locachella shows for this one. Don't think I'm going back to the grounds this year. What are the chances he adds some dates? His current schedule is pretty sparse.
    I think a local show is a possibility. He has a huge fan base here in LA. His latest production sounds very experimental. That could work both ways - either it's a good idea to give it a workout before or in between Coachella weekends, or it's too much hassle to set up elsewhere on short notice. I believe the former. But think it's a mistake to skip him on the polo grounds if you're a fan.
    St Vincentx2| The Killers| QotSA| BRMC| Jack White| Shopping| Weezer| Coachella| Greta Van Fleet| APC| Cigarettes After Sex| Arctic Monkeys| BØRNS| Courtney Barnett| Poptone| Franz Ferdinand| U2x2| Peter Hook| GY!BE| Paul Simon| Johnny Marr| APtBS| NINx2| Arroyo Seco| Roger Waters| The Cure| MBV| ELOx2| Rodrigo y Gabriela| Erasure| David Byrnex2| Smashing Pumpkins| The National| Music Tastes Good| Courtney Barnett| Spiritualized| Nick Cave| PiL| TWDY| Echo & The Bunnymen

Wow, seeing 99.99% of people looking forward to Byrne. I'm a little torn here because I like GV intent with trying to book this kind of artist. Along with Chic, they're the closest thing to an older, legacy type act this year. This years Steely Dan in a way. I like that. BUT, his music to me is not good at all. I was never a big Talking Heads fan, but I went back and listened to his solo stuff, and it was so bad. It wasn't til I got to his latest solo release, "Everything That Happens..." that I heard some stuff that was listenable ("Life is Long," "One Fine Day.) His older stuff just dosen't do it for me. Guess I'm the only one in that regard. But again, I'm glad Paul and Co. are at least trying to book artists like Byrne.

If you were never a big Talking Heads fan you're definitely not going to get into his solo work, and probably don't need to see him live. Byrne is definitely a legacy act, and from the sound of it his show is going to be something to see.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I would be delighted if he played this:

To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.

Best Possible Guest Appearance of the entire weekend - Brian Eno comes out for Strange Overtones, Crosseyed and Painless and Once In A Lifetime.
    Radiohead - The Xx - Father John Misty - Bonobo - DJ Shadow - Guided By Voices - Preservation Hall Jazz Band - King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - The Interrupters - Klangstof

Beyonce - Bon Iver - Nicholas Jarr - Tycho - Four Tet - The Avalanches - Banks & Steelz - Car Seat Headrest - Mitski - Floating Points

Kendrick Lamar - New Order - Future Islands - Hans Zimmer - Toots & The Maytals - Devendra Banhart - Lee Fields & The Expresions - Whitney - Preoccupations - Hinds - Ezra Furman - Pond

What if the guests are Tina Weymouth, Jerry Harrison and Chris Frantz...

Quote Originally Posted by gazercmh View Post
    Then I am probably looking into weekend 2 passes as well. Not happening though.

That would make for a pretty good band.
    I have been to concerts. I will go to concerts in the future.

His setlist will depend on how much time he is allotted.

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
    Then I am probably looking into weekend 2 passes as well. Not happening though.
    The good guests are only W1.

regarding a talking heads reunion: it's a long shot

Yeah, I'm just joking. Would be awesome but I don't think it'll happen.

The good guests are only W1.
    This has been proven false many times by now
    Quote Originally Posted by svatomictwist View Post
    I spin in both directions, and I also dance in FRACTIONS.
    2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011!!!, 2012 (w1), 2013 (w2), 2014! (w2), 2015!! (w2), 2016 (w2), 2017 (w2), 2018 (w2)...

Quote Originally Posted by shotglass75 View Post
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...-tour-w513977+

Byrne will play six shows on the East Coast, starting March 3rd at the Count Basie Theatre in Red Bank, New Jersey and wrapping March 10th at the Ulster Performing Arts Center in Kingston, New York. The trek marks the musician's first solo tour since 2009, though he was previously on the road with St. Vincent in support of their 2012 album, Love This Giant. Tickets for Byrne's 2018 tour dates will go on sale December 15th. More information is available on the musician's website.

A post on Byrne's website noted that the upcoming shows would featuring Talking Heads hits, as well as music from his forthcoming album (an exact release date and title have yet to be announced). Following the North American run, Byrne will play several festivals in South America and Europe, and the post suggested that additional festival dates would be announced soon.

Byrne also shared a personal note, in which he teased the concept for his new stage-show. The set-up, Byrne said, would be a big open space and the musicians will be equipped with wireless gear that will allow them to roam freely around the stage. In order to hide all the monitors, mixers, amplifiers and other gear, Byrne said they would use a lightweight chain instead of a regular curtain, which could've presented problems at outdoor venues.

"The band and I will be testing all of this in front of a live audience during a small number of shows in the beginning of March," Byrne said. "We'll be doing some new songs… and many others that will, I assume, be familiar. I'm excited. This is the most ambitious show I’ve done since the shows that were filmed for Stop Making Sense, so fingers crossed."
    I don't think there is a good chance of him bringing a whole new, ambitious stage show with him to Coachella. Even if he has one he has developed. Jonsi didn't bring his in 2010. There might be a chance of it if he is closing the Outdoor, but don't count on it.
    Even though I look like one, I'm not a cop.

Coachella 10, 12.1, 13.1, 14.2, 15.1, 16.2
    SXSW 14
    Lalapalooza 94

Very excited! I can only hope for "This Must Be The Place"

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCthulhu View Post
    I don't think there is a good chance of him bringing a whole new, ambitious stage show with him to Coachella. Even if he has one he has developed. Jonsi didn't bring his in 2010. There might be a chance of it if he is closing the Outdoor, but don't count on it.
    Byrne is higher profile than Jonsi, has never played Coachella, is much more anticipated, and never in a million years will this be a daytime act. This is going to have a prime slot.
    That being said I'm less concerned about the visual aspect and more concerned with hearing I Zimbra.