Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: LINEUP IS OUT

Default Re: LINEUP IS OUT

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteIverson View Post
    Hello again Coachella forum.

Well, my dreams have come true. Post Malone will be at the polo fields this year.

Love the lineup, hip hop and rnb are kings and this is our year.

Time to pass the torch, sorry old timers.
    Seriously?

Hello again Coachella forum.

Well, my dreams have come true. Post Malone will be at the polo fields this year.

Love the lineup, hip hop and rnb are kings and this is our year.

Time to pass the torch, sorry old timers.
    This hurts because it's true.

So many dreamz coming true

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

L o l
    "HIGH END RAP MUSIC! GHETTO STADIUM SHIT! THEY AIN'T WANT US AT THE FESTIVALS
    NOW WE WILL RUN THEM!"
    -Some Guy

Quote Originally Posted by svenflauge View Post
    To be fair, Gov Ball line up is garbage compared to this.
    It’s a sad state of affairs when Coachella lineups only look good when you compare them to other festivals.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by idrive1life View Post
    Oh yes, it will be all about St. Vincent. I did the right thing by going all out all for a few of Coachella’s greatest ever / most dream-like performances: watched in full Daft Punk in 2006 (by not completing Depeche Mode’s set), Stromae (over St. Vincent in 2015) and Royksopp (over Moderat last year). DEAR GV/Paul T., JUST STOP IT.
    According to a 2017 VIP fan Q&A the spring 2018 St. Vincent shows are full band with an alternate non-electro LP(same songs as 2017 album) released for Record Store Day.

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    I've been researching this lineup for the last two hours and got stuck on X Japan. THEY ARE SOOOOOO GOOD
    Watch their documentary! It was on Netflix or Hulu a couple months ago, may still be. Their history is pretty insane, been around forever.

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    Watch their documentary! It was on Netflix or Hulu a couple months ago, may still be. Their history is pretty insane, been around forever.
    Putting that on this week if it’s still up. Thanks!
    "HIGH END RAP MUSIC! GHETTO STADIUM SHIT! THEY AIN'T WANT US AT THE FESTIVALS
    NOW WE WILL RUN THEM!"
    -Some Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    According to a 2017 VIP fan Q&A the spring 2018 St. Vincent shows are full band with an alternate non-electro LP(same songs as 2017 album) released for Record Store Day.
    Starting when, exactly? She has everything including Coachella listed under the "Fear the Future Tour" on her site. But if she breaks from her solo performances when she takes a break in March and returns full-band at Coachella, that would be super rad.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    I don't know what's more embarassing. Using the word hella, or not knowing "Feel it still" was the most played rock song of 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    You spelled embarrassing wrong.
    Should be sig'd
    5/23 Lena Wilikens @ F8 | 5/24 Las Sucias, Cube, Group Rhoda @ Hemlock Tavern | 5/26 Fever Ray @ Fox Theater | 5/30 Slowdive @ Filmore

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueBus View Post
    Seriously?
    deadass, why?

A lot of people seem to be saying the lineup is either good or bad based on acts that aren't on the lineup, which seems ridiculous to me. Just judging based on what's actually on the lineup I think it's really good. So many acts I'm really excited to see each day and I haven't even started my research.

Friday (12)
    SZA, Jamiroquai, St. Vincent, The War On Drugs, Vince Staples, Soulwax, Jean-Michel Jarre, Maceo Plex, Perfume Genius, Moses Sumney, Detroit Love, Helado Negro

Saturday (10)
    Beyonce, Tyler, David Byrne, Chic, Angel Olsen, Jungle, Brockhampton, X Japan, Yaeji, Sudan Archives

Sunday (11)
    Portugal. The Man, Migos, Cardi B, King Krule, Kamasi Washington, Jessie Ware, FIDLAR, Ibeyi, Giraffage, Talaboman, Japanese Breakfast

deadass, why?
    "time to pass the torch, sorry old timers?" c'mon dude. Even if you like all that R&B and trash rap, you don't have to generalize to that extent. Plenty of people on here love both new music and old music. I appreciate both, and just cause I think mumble rap is garbage, doesn't mean I'd ever try to say, "fk these new generation millennials and their wack music."

Quote Originally Posted by GolfWang View Post
    A lot of people seem to be saying the lineup is either good or bad based on acts that aren't on the lineup, which seems ridiculous to me. Just judging based on what's actually on the lineup I think it's really good. So many acts I'm really excited to see each day and I haven't even started my research.

Friday (12)
    SZA, Jamiroquai, St. Vincent, The War On Drugs, Vince Staples, Soulwax, Jean-Michel Jarre, Maceo Plex, Perfume Genius, Moses Sumney, Detroit Love, Helado Negro

Saturday (10)
    Beyonce, Tyler, David Byrne, Chic, Angel Olsen, Jungle, Brockhampton, X Japan, Yaeji, Sudan Archives

Sunday (11)
    Portugal. The Man, Migos, Cardi B, King Krule, Kamasi Washington, Jessie Ware, FIDLAR, Ibeyi, Giraffage, Talaboman, Japanese Breakfast
    I think the lineup is disappointing because of the acts that aren't there, but not bad. It's also somewhat disappointing because of how lopsided it is - my Saturday is incredibly stacked, and Friday has a few absolute standout acts, whereas Sunday is very underwhelming. But again: this isn't a bad lineup if you like more than one genre.

here's who I'm excited to see on first glances (pending research)

Friday
    Jamiroquai • St Vincent • The War on Drugs • Soulwax • Jean-Michel Jarre • Maceo Plex • Detroit Love • Slow Magic

Saturday
    Beyonce • David Byrne • Fleet Foxes • Chromeo • Nile Rodgers + Chic • Angel Olsen • Jungle • M0 • First Aid Kit • Alvvays • Black Madonna • Django Django

Sunday
    ODESZA • Portugal. The Man • A Perfect Circle • Kamsai Washington • The Drums • Motor Coty Drum Ensemble • Talaboman
    Last edited by scenicworld; 01-03-2018 at 05:12 PM.
    setlist.fm | last.fm | facebook | twitter
    5/24 Phantogram/TYCHO/Poolside @ Cal Coast • 5/25 Fever Ray @ Hollywood Palladium • Janelle Monae @ Cal Coast Open Air Theater
    6/22 Belle & Sebastian/Japanese Breakfast @ Observatory • 7/30 Decemberists @ Humphrey's by the Bay
    10/5-6 Caj Jam 18 • 10/12-14 Austin City Limits

I usually recognize a ton of artists on the lineup as garbage, this year I don't recognize so many acts so I have no idea if I'll discover things are good or garbage, but my initial take:

Friday
    Fazerdaze, Avalon Emerson, Benjamin Clementine, Detroit Love, Tank and the Bengas, Moses Sumney, Perfume Genius, Belly (wait, is it not the band?), Jean-Michel Jarre, Soulwax, The War on Drugs, St. Vincent, Jamiroquai

Saturday
    Beyonce, David Byrne, Fleet Foxes, Nile Rodgers and Chic, Angel Olsen, First Aid Kit, The Black Madonna, X Japan, Sudan Archives, Oh Sees, Yaeji

Sunday
    Cardi B, Kamsai Washington, Jessie Ware, Kamiyah, Ibeyi, Noname, Motor City Drum Ensemble, Talaboman, Barclay Crenshaw, John Maus, Japanese Breakfast, Omar-S, Michael Mayer, Peggy Gou

I feel like there are a number of Sonora tent bands I'll discover and like. This lineup is totally fine.

9/6: The War on Drugs, Land of Talk @ The Paramount

I am coming from Australia to Coachella for the first time, and I have wanted to come for years.
    At first I was somewhat disappointed, I was looking forward to a more 'classic' line up, with more of a balance of indie bands and EDM.
    Saturday has many acts I know, so thats great, Friday & Sunday have a few I know and want to see, but the rest I am taking as a great opportunity to explore, see some acts I'm not familiar with, and hopefully hook on to some great music.
    For me, this is the point of a music festival.
    I am so excited, can't wait.

With only a little bit of research so far, here's who I'm excited for, in order on the poster.

Friday: St. Vincent (glad it'll be a different show than the one I'm seeing in a couple weeks), Jamiroquai, Soulwax, JMJ, Perfume Genius, Belly (just to shout "you mean it's not the band!?!?"), Slow Magic,

Saturday:
    Beyonce, David Byrne, Chic, Jungle, X Japan, Benjamin Booker, Oh Sees, Hundred Waters, Mild High Club

Sunday:
    Eminem's first or last 20 minutes, Kamasi Washington, Princess Nokia, Noname, Japanese Breakfast, Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever

Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    What is FYF, that died with Sean.
    Doesn't look like it http://www.fyffestpartners.info

Quote Originally Posted by gazercmh View Post
    Friday: St. Vincent (glad it'll be a different show than the one I'm seeing in a couple weeks)
    Why do you think her Coachella show will be different? Just curious if she said something about it.

For me, this lineup is pretty much what I expected, though I'm pretty shocked that SZA and Haim are subs. Kygo headlined ACL, so I'm surprised he's billed 3rd here.
    Friday and Saturday look incredible once I filter out the garbage. Sunday is definitely underwhelming but that seems like a trend lately. I'll take it as an opportunity to discover artists and/or go home early because I have zero interest in Eminem. Terrible booking and he's my biggest problem with the lineup. It sounds like he might have been a backup for Coachella because I can't see why they would bother with him when he's going to be at every fest and is expensive as hell. Also, shame on GV for booking Migos and Cardi B.

Mostly pre-research:

Friday:
    St. Vincent, The War on Drugs, Jamiroquai, Vince Staples, Jean Michel Jarre, Soulwax, Daniel Caesar, Perfume Genius, SZA, Moses Sumney, Kelela, Tank and the Bangas, Slow Magic, Black Coffee, The Weeknd if nothing else is happening I guess.

Saturday:
    Beyonce, David Byrne, Fleet Foxes, Chic, BORNS, Angel Olsen, Jungle, First Aid Kit, Alvvays, X Japan, Haim, Tash Sultana, Flatbush Zombies, Big Thief, Sigrid, Hundred Waters, Alina Baraz

Sunday:
    Kamasi Washington, Miguel, ODESZA, Portugal the Man, Jessie Ware, FIDLAR, Ibeyi, Japanese Breakfast, Lion Babe
    7/21 Lake Street Dive . 7/23 Animal Collective . 7/31 Beach House . 9/15 Beyoncé & Jay-Z . 9/29 The Decemberists . 10/4 Phoenix . 10/5-10/7 ACL Fest . 10/28 Rüfüs Du Sol

Quote Originally Posted by purplecow View Post
    Why do you think her Coachella show will be different? Just curious if she said something about it.
    I thought I read that her current tour is solo and that she's introducing a new set with a band.

Not only is this the worst lineup that has ever been assembled for Coachella, it may be the worst looking poster as well. That teal-into-yellow-into-orange tuna-fish shit is very appropriate, very boat show expo 1992.

After a brief look at the lineup, there is a lot more that I liked then at first glance especially on the lower lines. Still, there are so many acts that use the same formula in the meat of the lineup that I wouldn't be able to tell them apart. Safe bookings overall but just not for me.

Friday
    Jamiroquai, St. Vincent, Soulwax, Jean-Michel Jarre, Kelela, Greta Van Fleet, Detroit Love, Avalon Emerson, Fazerdaze, Helado Negro, Senor Kino

Saturday
    David Byrne, Chic, Angel Olsen, The Black Madonna, Yaeji, Big Thief, The Bronx, Sudan Archives, Mild High Club, Bane’s World

Sunday
    Ibeyi, MCDE, Jacob Banks, Talaboman, John Maus, Japanese Breakfast, Omar-S, Michael Mayer, Westside Gunn, Peggy Gou, Snail Mail, Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever, B Boys, The Marias, The Delirians
    5/23 Lena Wilikens @ F8 | 5/24 Las Sucias, Cube, Group Rhoda @ Hemlock Tavern | 5/26 Fever Ray @ Fox Theater | 5/30 Slowdive @ Filmore

Quote Originally Posted by NathanDrake18 View Post
    Gov ball has Gaslight Anthem, the menzingers, japandroids, sylvan esso. All bands i'd go see before pretty much anyone in this year's coachella lineup.

Even my 18yr old cousin thinks the lineup sucks so not sure who they are going after.
    Seen them all at Coachella years ago.

hip hop and rnb are kings and this is our year.
    Except the shit excuse for hip hop on this lineup is slightly less of a dumpster fire than Rolling Loud, which is the worst lineup in the history of music.
    Last edited by MrLahey; 01-04-2018 at 01:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    I do, and again, name a big name Dj on the top lines that is at the top of The Ultra lineup and EDC. There are none this year. I dont see Afrojack, Tiesto, David Guetta, Kaskade, Deadmau5, The Chainsmokers, Hardwell etc anywhere on this poster, or do you have a different version.
    FINALLY, a MAJOR VICTORY for most of us here. In addition to being disappointed for a few that I was hoping not being there, this is a shocking pleasant surprise I did not expect. YAY.

What a lineup. Wins and losses on acts NOT IN THE POSTER.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I usually recognize a ton of artists on the lineup as garbage, this year I don't recognize so many acts so I have no idea if I'll discover things are good or garbage, but my initial take:

Friday
    Fazerdaze, Avalon Emerson, Benjamin Clementine, Detroit Love, Tank and the Bengas, Moses Sumney, Perfume Genius, Belly (wait, is it not the band?), Jean-Michel Jarre, Soulwax, The War on Drugs, St. Vincent, Jamiroquai

Saturday
    Beyonce, David Byrne, Fleet Foxes, Nile Rodgers and Chic, Angel Olsen, First Aid Kit, The Black Madonna, X Japan, Sudan Archives, Oh Sees, Yaeji

Sunday
    Cardi B, Kamsai Washington, Jessie Ware, Kamiyah, Ibeyi, Noname, Motor City Drum Ensemble, Talaboman, Barclay Crenshaw, John Maus, Japanese Breakfast, Omar-S, Michael Mayer, Peggy Gou

I feel like there are a number of Sonora tent bands I'll discover and like. This lineup is totally fine.
    I love or liking a lot in this list so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    It’s a sad state of affairs when Coachella lineups only look good when you compare them to other festivals.
    Exactly

I have to agree - time to have a ROCK festival at the Polo Fields some other weekend, similar to StageCoach. The Boston Calling lineup which was released today is more like what any Coachella 2004-2010 fan would prefer. And I'm stuck with VIP for life in the desert with the kiddies.....
    Boston got Jack White, The Killers, Queens of the Stone Age, the National, the Decemberists, Royal Blood, along with the few "rock" acts from Coachella like St Vincent, Fleet Foxes, Belly, etc... Eminem must be 2018's "festival whore"
    Last edited by eephusball; 01-04-2018 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by idrive1life View Post
    FINALLY, a MAJOR VICTORY for most of us here. In addition to being disappointed for a few that I was hoping not being there, this is a shocking pleasant surprise I did not expect. YAY.
    I fail to understand how it is a MAJOR VICTORY that a bunch of disposable EDM that I will not see has been replaced by a bunch of disposable meme rap that I will not see.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

If we have more disposable meme rap than ever before AND the BROs that come with disposable EDM rubbishes are still going then I guess it is too early to call for a victory parade.

Crowd of disposable meme rap > EDM BROs