Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: LINEUP IS OUT

Default Re: LINEUP IS OUT

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    The lineup is better than I expected, but still terrible overall. Easy pass for me.
    Right where I'm at. The acts on the lineup I'd be most excited to see are St. Vincent, First Aid Kit, and Angel Olsen, all of whom I've seen before. At Coachella, no less. I'm sure there's some great bands on there that I'm not familiar with that I'd love, but I feel confident I'll get more out of the $800+ I'd spend for a weekend at Coachella by just spending that money on individual shows throughout the year instead.

Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    It's Belly the rapper.
    If true, that just reinforces my opinion that this is a bad lineup for me. Belly the band is something I'd love to see some day. Belly the rapper is something I wouldn't see if I were the one being paid to go.

Quote Originally Posted by cmg913 View Post
    I think this might be the last year I buy tickets blindly without seeing the lineup first.
    Happy to say I got that memo last year so I didn't buy during the presale this year. Good choice, self.

Quote Originally Posted by smashc View Post
    How / why is Vince Staples on the 2nd line tho
    Cardi B has less than a handful of aborted public performances under her belt and she's on the 2nd line. The bar is pretty fucking low.

Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    It's Belly the rapper.
    That is most disappointing. There is some good stuff, Tash Sultana, King Krule, Perfect Circle, Jamiroquai, David Byrne, Jean Michel Jarre and a few others but the rest is very meh. Definitely not enough persnoally to warrant the expenditures.

Let us hope for a full show from Jamiroquai & Soulwax in the Bay Area (between or leading up to w1 and w2).

The return of Busy P!!!

I'm on the fence pre-research - there's a ton of artists I've honestly never heard of on this lineup.

Byrne, A Perfect Circle and Moodyman are the only wow factor artists on the lineup for me, and only a few other acts like King Krule, Soulwax, TWOD and Motor City Drum Ensemble would be must-sees. Time to spend all day on Spotify while at work tomorrow.
    Jay Electronica 2011

After some time to calm down from my initial disappointment and an opportunity listen to some of the artists I wasn't familiar with, I've concluded that this lineup is an even bigger pile of shit than I first thought.

Maybe this "Kygo" I've been hearing lots of good things about will turn things around though.

Quote Originally Posted by slinkybutt View Post
    The return of Busy P!!!
    I'm actually really excited about this. I had a feeling he might be on the lineup after seeing him on that Hard lineup a few months back.
    My old account "Mikey1313666" is down for whatever reason.

Why is Coachella wasting its time booking subpar East Coast bands like Priests and Snail Mail when the LA indie scene is fire right now? Nothing against the East Coast. Japanese Breakfast is amazing and 100% deserves to be there, but Priests and Snail Mail?

Starcrawler, Pinky Pinky, Groves, Sabrosa Purr, The Heirs, Teenage Wrist would have been far superior choices and I would imagine hardly any less available/expensive

It's just frustrating to see more deserving local acts get passed up.

Well I guess I have to look into this Belly band..
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Spamalot (7/31), HARD (8/1) 2001 Space Odyssey with LA Phil (8/12), Opeth (10/18), TOOL (10/31), Coachella 2016 (WK1), David Gilmour (Wherever I need to go)

Quote Originally Posted by scytheram View Post
    Why is Coachella wasting its time booking subpar East Coast bands like Priests and Snail Mail when the LA indie scene is fire right now? Nothing against the East Coast. Japanese Breakfast is amazing and 100% deserves to be there, but Priests and Snail Mail?

Starcrawler, Pinky Pinky, Groves, Sabrosa Purr, The Heirs, Teenage Wrist would have been far superior choices and I would imagine hardly any less available/expensive

It's just frustrating to see more deserving local acts get passed up.
    I bet a lot of bands will be added for the Sonora stage. Let's hope some of these make it.
    Friday: Radiohead / King Gizz / Bonobo / Father John Misty / Sampha / Loco Dice / Big Gigantic / Crystal Castles / Jagwar Ma
    Saturday: Moderat / Avalanches / Tycho / Floating Points / Schoolboy Q / Warpaint / Royskopp / Breakbot / Local Natives / Car Seat Headrest / Thundercat / Ben UFO / Swet Shop Boys / Mitski / TDCC / Roisin Murphy
    Sunday: Kendrick Lamar / Hans Zimmer / New Order / Kaytranada / Maya Jane Coles / Devendra Banhart / Tale of Us / Whitney / Preoccupations

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    I don't know what's more embarassing. Using the word hella, or not knowing "Feel it still" was the most played rock song of 2017
    You spelled embarrassing wrong.

5/16: Mount Kimbie @ Neumo's
    5/21: Fever Ray @ The Showbox
    5/25-27: Sasquatch
    6/9: Huichica Music Festival
    6/5: Sleep @ The Showbox
    6/6: King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard @ the Showbox
    6/23: Snail Mail, Bonny Doon @ The Crocodile
    7/12: My Bloody Valentine @ Paramount
    7/21: Bombino @ The Crocodile
    9/6: The War on Drugs, Land of Talk @ The Paramount

Quote Originally Posted by summersnow View Post
    I bet a lot of bands will be added for the Sonora stage. Let's hope some of these make it.
    crossing my fingers

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    This is the worst line up Coachella has ever put out. But because of the headliners it will sell tons and do just fine. The first year I’m cool with skipping.
    Staying true to the trend! This is my 10 year anniversary and I bought passes (most expensive on record) on blind faith but man this is going to be rough! Take me back to 2008!

The Sonora tent was one of the best things about 2017. Is it confirmed to return?

line up, as expected, is very very bad.
    been travelling from europe for coachella every year since 2007, last year was the first time i didnt go.
    for this line up, i would not travel to the city next to mine.

but i am an old rock guy, so i guess there will be less and less stuff for me at US festivals....primavera and mad cool will do it this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    The Sonora tent was one of the best things about 2017. Is it confirmed to return?
    Considering the amount of acts currently on the poster, it would seem the Sonora will be back.

I'm excited! It's gonna be my first time atteding! And solo! Which is totally fine with me lol

Quote Originally Posted by rousse View Post
    Jean-Michel Jarre into Soulwax into Jamiroquai. Best Sahara closing ever?
    The Sahara tent is the defacto hip hop tent now. Itll be Vince Staples into Kygo on Friday night. Soulwax and Jean Michel Jarre would go back to back in Mojave.

I was half hoping Dreams was a typo and it was actually Dream the girl group from 2000. haha
    What used to be my YouTube Channel before dozens of my Coachella footage were flagged for copyright and my channel was terminated, erasing 10 years of Coachella and live concert history (that I recorded) from the internet.
    http://www.youtube.com/magmazing

maybe it's because of low expectations, but I really like this lineup at first glance.

X Japan is an awesome left-field booking that I never would've guessed. I'm not even a fan but I will definitely check them out if I can. Jamiroquai, Beyonce, and David Byrne are bucket list sets for me. can't wait to see what other great surprises my research might bring.

Fri: Good
    Sat: Amazing!
    Sun: ...bad.

On first glance I'm most excited for:
    Fri - Jamiroquai, St. Vincent, Avalon Emerson, Moon Boots, Carpenter Brut... Interested in the Weeknd (thought he was great in 2015), SZA (SHOCKED she is the 1st sub on her day), Slow Magic...
    Sat: Yonce, Chromeo, Chic, David Byrne, Yaeji, Jungle, Black Madonna, Oh Sees, Busy P...
    Sun: Portugal the man, Odezsa, Miguel, Kamasi, King Krule, Dej Loaf, Princess Nokia, Lion Babe
    Quote Originally Posted by svatomictwist View Post
    I spin in both directions, and I also dance in FRACTIONS.
    2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011!!!, 2012 (w1), 2013 (w2), 2014! (w2), 2015!! (w2), 2016 (w2), 2017 (w2), 2018 (w2)...

Maybe I’m out of touch but how the hell are 3/4 of those sub headliners sub headliner worthy? The undercard is alright I guess but the subs and headliners are probably the least inspiring I’ve ever seen. Oh well, guess I’ll be going to FYF again this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Corona89 View Post
    Maybe I’m out of touch but how the hell are 3/4 of those sub headliners sub headliner worthy? The undercard is alright I guess but the subs and headliners are probably the least inspiring I’ve ever seen. Oh well, guess I’ll be going to FYF again this year.
    What is FYF, that died with Sean.

Quote Originally Posted by Sladokusac View Post
    line up, as expected, is very very bad.
    been travelling from europe for coachella every year since 2007, last year was the first time i didnt go.
    for this line up, i would not travel to the city next to mine.

but i am an old rock guy, so i guess there will be less and less stuff for me at US festivals....primavera and mad cool will do it this year.
    Whenever I read your posts I do it in the voice of Oli from Hostel. The "of course my horse" guy.

This is a compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    The Sahara tent is the defacto hip hop tent now. Itll be Vince Staples into Kygo on Friday night. Soulwax and Jean Michel Jarre would go back to back in Mojave.
    Vince won't be in the Sahara again. he has a very tight relationship with AEG/GV, it's main stage or late outdoor for him.

Set Time Predictions are up in Misc. Babble

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tonytone87 View Post
    Let us hope for a full show from Jamiroquai & Soulwax in the Bay Area (between or leading up to w1 and w2).
    please! (really hoping soulwax pay the independent and not the mezzanine)

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    You spelled embarrassing wrong.
    bwahaha

I didn't listen to any rumors/spoilers this year so coming into this blind. I've never been so unsure about how I feel. So much to be excited about, so much that feels off. Three headliners from the same umbrella genre is really, really weird. But then a lot of acts that shocked me in a good way. I never thought Jamiroquai was going to happen!

I have been refreshing sites yesterday for the anticipated lineup drop in between my flights toward my journey going back home after 2 weeks Christmas/New Year’s vacation. Finally saw it happened last night when I already got home.

1. I am still going... and for the first time - I am doing it 100% for the experience. As per the usual, this lineup delivers in making me work hard and really listen to discover “great”/emerging new acts I have been missing lately (the non-electronic acts/bands).

2. For more than 10 years now, music is no longer life for me. Travel / cultural-seeking is now my life and the Coachella experience/culture/community is / will always be a huge part of it.

I have not been listening / not going to live gigs for new indie etc music. I am just going to trust you guys that this lineup is underwhelming/Coachella’s worst. Oh yes, personally, it is disappointing not to see a Radiohead/Royskopp/New Order type of act (in my bucket list I want to see at Coachella).

3. I will probably be all day & night at Yuma on Sunday. Conflicts be damned- St. Vincent and David Byrne are my Headliners. Would be great to see Soulwax, Beyoncé, Chic and Jean-Michael Jarre in their entirety. I was hoping for the return of MK and Jon Hopkins or some others in my long list of would be Yuma acts.