Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 180 of 955

Thread: Set Time Predictions 2018: FRIDAY

  1. #151
    Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    San Gabriel
    Posts
    12,079

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions 2018: FRIDAY

    Maybe switch Belly & Benjamin Clementine

    Belly only deserves that spot if The Weeknd forces GV to but otherwise nah.
    "HIGH END RAP MUSIC! GHETTO STADIUM SHIT! THEY AIN'T WANT US AT THE FESTIVALS
    NOW WE WILL RUN THEM!"
    -Some Guy

  2. #152
    Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    San Gabriel
    Posts
    12,079

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions 2018: FRIDAY

    JMJ in the Sahara just seems so weird. Like I feel the only reason to put him there is a) he makes electric music and b) his set up is bigger than the mojave and his crowd is smaller than the outdoor

    I think i will bet a FroLem (or edible) JMJ is outdoor

    I'm imagining the kids raging to REZZ, running to Kygo, running back to JMJ to get a spot for Derrero going "WHAT THE FUCK?!"

    This isn't like Underworld or Orbital where you can go "Well this kind of sounds like the origins of the shit I rave to". It's just some ambient ass music lol
    "HIGH END RAP MUSIC! GHETTO STADIUM SHIT! THEY AIN'T WANT US AT THE FESTIVALS
    NOW WE WILL RUN THEM!"
    -Some Guy

  3. #153
    AMBIVALENT bobert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    4,301

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions 2018: FRIDAY

    Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    JMJ in the Sahara just seems so weird. Like I feel the only reason to put him there is a) he makes electric music and b) his set up is bigger than the mojave and his crowd is smaller than the outdoor

    I think i will bet a FroLem (or edible) JMJ is outdoor

    I'm imagining the kids raging to REZZ, running to Kygo, running back to JMJ to get a spot for Derrero going "WHAT THE FUCK?!"

    This isn't like Underworld or Orbital where you can go "Well this kind of sounds like the origins of the shit I rave to". It's just some ambient ass music lol
    That's my take as well. He makes no sense in the Sahara.

  4. #154

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions 2018: FRIDAY

    Also wouldn't kygo play that 7:30 7:45 start time on the main? This day seems a bit of a headache with scheduling.
    you are soooooooo good lookin

  5. #155
    Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    San Gabriel
    Posts
    12,079

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions 2018: FRIDAY

    Quote Originally Posted by gillster17 View Post
    Also wouldn't kygo play that 7:30 7:45 start time on the main? This day seems a bit of a headache with scheduling.
    The problem with Kygo playing that spot on the main is you need counter programming in the Sahara and I dont think Soulwax or Jamiroquai would play there.
    "HIGH END RAP MUSIC! GHETTO STADIUM SHIT! THEY AIN'T WANT US AT THE FESTIVALS
    NOW WE WILL RUN THEM!"
    -Some Guy

  6. #156
    old school scenicworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lot 4
    Posts
    2,942

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions 2018: FRIDAY

    JMJ will probably get a lot of people that walk up to the set after they see it and once they see him "playing with lasers" while they are on their way to camp for Kygo/Weeknd. I also wouldn't be surprised to see some videos make the rounds via social media to increase awareness.
    setlist.fm | last.fm | facebook | twitter
    2006 • 2007 • 2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011
    • 2012 • 2013 • 2014 • 2015 • 2016 • 2017 • 2018
    5/24 Phantogram/TYCHO/Poolside @ Cal Coast • 5/25 Fever Ray @ Hollywood Palladium • Janelle Monae @ Cal Coast Open Air Theater
    6/22 Belle & Sebastian/Japanese Breakfast @ Observatory • 7/30 Decemberists @ Humphrey's by the Bay
    10/5-6 Caj Jam 18 • 10/12-14 Austin City Limits

  7. #157

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions 2018: FRIDAY

    Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    The problem with Kygo playing that spot on the main is you need counter programming in the Sahara and I dont think Soulwax or Jamiroquai would play there.
    Yea but if maceo goes at that time into soulwax I think it could work. Also since the outdoor and and main are a lot farther form each other, you could conceivably have the main go:
    St. Vincent - Kygo - SZA - The Weeknd
    Outdoor:
    WOD - Jean Michael Jarre - Jamiroqaui (with half of Jamiroquai overlapping with weeknd)

    THen put maceo in the sahara around 6:30 - 7:00 with soulwax still closing the gobi after Jamiroqaui finishes.
    you are soooooooo good lookin

  8. #158

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions 2018: FRIDAY

    Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    JMJ in the Sahara just seems so weird. Like I feel the only reason to put him there is a) he makes electric music and b) his set up is bigger than the mojave and his crowd is smaller than the outdoor

    I think i will bet a FroLem (or edible) JMJ is outdoor

    I'm imagining the kids raging to REZZ, running to Kygo, running back to JMJ to get a spot for Derrero going "WHAT THE FUCK?!"

    This isn't like Underworld or Orbital where you can go "Well this kind of sounds like the origins of the shit I rave to". It's just some ambient ass music lol
    This generally makes sense, I'm just not sure how to fit it all together. But let's see.

    For starters, we gotta shorten The Weeknd's set time to 1:45. It might even be 1:30. But 2:20 is just silly.

    That buys a bit of time, but we still have a glut of Outdoor/Main acts. It really feels like at least one out of Jamiroquai/JMJ/Kygo's gotta go in the Sahara.

  9. #159
    Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    San Gabriel
    Posts
    12,079

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions 2018: FRIDAY

    So out of the big acts these are who require darkness (or are SZA)

    Weeknd
    Sza
    Jamiroquai
    JMJ
    Kygo

    That's 5 spots

    Right now we have 5 spots in darkness and 1 in halfway sunset darkness with TWOD. If we shorten Weeknd and move everything along forward then that leaves 6 spots. TWOD can move back somehow and play in the sun, St Vincent can still get darkness, and SUPERDUPERKYLE won't conflict with SZA. That could solve a lot of problems
    "HIGH END RAP MUSIC! GHETTO STADIUM SHIT! THEY AIN'T WANT US AT THE FESTIVALS
    NOW WE WILL RUN THEM!"
    -Some Guy

  10. #160

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions 2018: FRIDAY

    We also don't know for sure if St Vincent is bringing a band or doing the solo thing, do we? We know she'll eventually tour with a band, but was a date given for when that would start?

    If it's the solo thing, it completely relies on having a big screen behind her, and she'd need darkness. If a full band, I could see her at 6 or 6:30.

    (sidenote: anyone want to remind me where/when she gave the interview saying she'd bring a full band back eventually?)

  11. #161

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions 2018: FRIDAY

    Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    So out of the big acts these are who require darkness (or are SZA)

    Weeknd
    Sza
    Jamiroquai
    JMJ
    Kygo

    That's 5 spots

    Right now we have 5 spots in darkness and 1 in halfway sunset darkness with TWOD. If we shorten Weeknd and move everything along forward then that leaves 6 spots. TWOD can move back somehow and play in the sun, St Vincent can still get darkness, and SUPERDUPERKYLE won't conflict with SZA. That could solve a lot of problems
    TWOD already played at 6:10pm on the mainstage, and they're billed much higher now - the Outdoor is a downgrade of a stage, so they'd need to get sunset if we move them there.

  12. #162
    old school scenicworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lot 4
    Posts
    2,942

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions 2018: FRIDAY

    Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    It really feels like at least one out of Jamiroquai/JMJ/Kygo's gotta go in the Sahara.
    it's Kygo. the annual SaharaCluster
    setlist.fm | last.fm | facebook | twitter
    2006 • 2007 • 2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011
    • 2012 • 2013 • 2014 • 2015 • 2016 • 2017 • 2018
    5/24 Phantogram/TYCHO/Poolside @ Cal Coast • 5/25 Fever Ray @ Hollywood Palladium • Janelle Monae @ Cal Coast Open Air Theater
    6/22 Belle & Sebastian/Japanese Breakfast @ Observatory • 7/30 Decemberists @ Humphrey's by the Bay
    10/5-6 Caj Jam 18 • 10/12-14 Austin City Limits

  13. #163
    AMBIVALENT bobert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    4,301

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions 2018: FRIDAY

    Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    This generally makes sense, I'm just not sure how to fit it all together. But let's see.

    For starters, we gotta shorten The Weeknd's set time to 1:45. It might even be 1:30. But 2:20 is just silly.

    That buys a bit of time, but we still have a glut of Outdoor/Main acts. It really feels like at least one out of Jamiroquai/JMJ/Kygo's gotta go in the Sahara.
    The only reason you guys seem to think Kygo can't go in the Sahara is because he's too popular. Everyone said the same thing about Martin Garrix last year and look where he ended up. I think Kygo, Jamiroquai and Soulwax are all very realistic options for the Sahara. I'm watching JMJ tour footage right now and I'm not seeing anything about his setup that would prevent him from closing the Gobi. He's been playing to small crowds in small theateres on his US tour why would Coachella be any different?

  14. #164

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions 2018: FRIDAY

    The main reason I think Kygo wouldn't be in the Sahara is actually just his billing. I don't think he's too big -- while this year's lineup seems to indicate a move away from the clusterfucks that have been there, I think they might want to throw one big act in there to appease the Sahara-goers.

    But it's been awhile since a third-billed act played in any sort of tent - Skrillex 2014 is the last I can think of, and he played opposite Muse. The last one before that - I believe - was Madonna in 2006. It's just really rare. So I think Kygo ends up on the main or outdoor.

  15. #165
    old school mikey1313's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    SF <-> LA
    Posts
    3,730

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions 2018: FRIDAY

    Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    JMJ in the Sahara just seems so weird. Like I feel the only reason to put him there is a) he makes electric music and b) his set up is bigger than the mojave and his crowd is smaller than the outdoor

    I think i will bet a FroLem (or edible) JMJ is outdoor

    I'm imagining the kids raging to REZZ, running to Kygo, running back to JMJ to get a spot for Derrero going "WHAT THE FUCK?!"

    This isn't like Underworld or Orbital where you can go "Well this kind of sounds like the origins of the shit I rave to". It's just some ambient ass music lol
    You're suggesting all the kids care THAT much about Deorro that they'll be running to the Sahara to get there an HOUR early. That's just not happening, as Deorro is not that big of a draw. 90% of those people will head to the Main to at least catch the fist 30-45 mins of The Weeknd (and some to Carpenter Brut). Most of the Sahara kids aren't going to sit in darkness for 30 minutes waiting for Deorro.
    Last edited by mikey1313; 01-12-2018 at 02:46 PM.
    My old account "Mikey1313666" is down for whatever reason.

  16. #166
    old school mikey1313's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    SF <-> LA
    Posts
    3,730

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions 2018: FRIDAY

    Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    The main reason I think Kygo wouldn't be in the Sahara is actually just his billing. I don't think he's too big -- while this year's lineup seems to indicate a move away from the clusterfucks that have been there, I think they might want to throw one big act in there to appease the Sahara-goers.

    But it's been awhile since a third-billed act played in any sort of tent - Skrillex 2014 is the last I can think of, and he played opposite Muse. The last one before that - I believe - was Madonna in 2006. It's just really rare. So I think Kygo ends up on the main or outdoor.
    This is exactly my thought. I'm not saying Kygo CAN'T play the Sahara, but I think his billing suggests he wont.
    My old account "Mikey1313666" is down for whatever reason.

  17. #167
    old school travelfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,912

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions 2018: FRIDAY

    Quote Originally Posted by mikey1313 View Post

    Why would Maceo get this slot over Jean-Michel, who plays to FAR larger audiences? And I mean....WAYYY larger.
    Let's be real here Mikey, Jean-Michael will play to about 20 boardies and whoever is too wrecked on shrooms to leave the tent for Kygo.
    Last edited by travelfan; 01-12-2018 at 02:50 PM.

  18. #168
    AMBIVALENT bobert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    4,301

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions 2018: FRIDAY

    Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    Let's be real here Mikey, Jean-Michael will play to about 20 boardies and whoever is too wrecked on shrooms to leave the tent for Kygo.
    Agreed. Doesn't that make him a really poor bet to play the festival's largest tent?

  19. #169

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions 2018: FRIDAY

    Honestly, the main hangup that I have with JMJ in the Sahara is the style of music he plays. It's just not dance/party music. When was the last time they put an act in the Sahara that didn't play party music, aside from Lucent Dossier?

  20. #170
    Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    San Gabriel
    Posts
    12,079

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions 2018: FRIDAY

    I was gonna ask last time #3 was against #1 but I guess skrillex vs Muse answers that. Even with precedence I don’t see it
    "HIGH END RAP MUSIC! GHETTO STADIUM SHIT! THEY AIN'T WANT US AT THE FESTIVALS
    NOW WE WILL RUN THEM!"
    -Some Guy

  21. #171

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions 2018: FRIDAY

    Skrillex/Muse were very different fanbases; The Weeknd/Kygo would be the same. I don't see it either.

  22. #172
    Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    San Gabriel
    Posts
    12,079

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions 2018: FRIDAY

    We are also more accustomed to having DJs outside now
    "HIGH END RAP MUSIC! GHETTO STADIUM SHIT! THEY AIN'T WANT US AT THE FESTIVALS
    NOW WE WILL RUN THEM!"
    -Some Guy

  23. #173
    AMBIVALENT bobert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    4,301

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions 2018: FRIDAY

    Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    I was gonna ask last time #3 was against #1 but I guess skrillex vs Muse answers that. Even with precedence I don’t see it
    Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    Skrillex/Muse were very different fanbases; The Weeknd/Kygo would be the same. I don't see it either.
    I agree, if Kygo plays the Sahara he'd be the second to last act in there. Same slot as Empire of the Sun last year.

  24. #174
    old school travelfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,912

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions 2018: FRIDAY

    Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    Agreed. Doesn't that make him a really poor bet to play the festival's largest tent?
    They made it work with Underworld, though. I think they'll release a promotional video like they did with Hans on Coachella social media, and then stick Jean-Michael Jarre in between some Sahara heavy hitters. He'll draw a respectable, if not somewhat confused, crowd that way.

    If he's on any other stage, that wouldn't work. That's why I think Sahara. But he's a wild card, for sure.

  25. #175
    old school mikey1313's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    SF <-> LA
    Posts
    3,730

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions 2018: FRIDAY

    Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    I agree, if Kygo plays the Sahara he'd be the second to last act in there. Same slot as Empire of the Sun last year.
    No way that Kygo opens for Deorro.

    Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    They made it work with Underworld, though. I think they'll release a promotional video like they did with Hans on Coachella social media, and then stick Jean-Michael Jarre in between some Sahara heavy hitters. He'll draw a respectable, if not somewhat confused, crowd that way.

    If he's on any other stage, that wouldn't work. That's why I think Sahara. But he's a wild card, for sure.
    Yep.
    My old account "Mikey1313666" is down for whatever reason.

  26. #176

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions 2018: FRIDAY

    Kygo is a good candidate for the the mid evening Outdoor slot I think.
    Aside from the clusterfuck issue, it has already been mentioned that his billing suggests NOT in a tent.

    The JMJ issue is a hard one. From a few videos I've seen, he does have the potential to "dance up" his sets if you will. I think he will be either main/outdoor just after dark, but if they do this there will also have to be bulk las0rz that can draw people in from all corners of the fields. If I was running the festival, that's what I would do.

  27. #177
    AMBIVALENT bobert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    4,301

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions 2018: FRIDAY

    Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    They made it work with Underworld, though.
    Was that the expectation for Underworld? 20 boardies and people too high to leave the tent? Underworld is one of the premiere live electronic acts on the planet and their shows are really high energy. The only thing weird about them playing the Sahara was their talent level. I admit that I'm not as familiar with JMJ's music but nothing I've heard so far suggests that he's a good fit for that tent. Unless the goal is to clear people out of there and pick up some of the trash before the closer.

    Quote Originally Posted by mikey1313 View Post
    No way that Kygo opens for Deorro.
    Is that really how the Sahara works? Last year EOTS "opened" for Dillon Francis despite being billed before him. Martin Garrix "opened" for Gucci Mane despite being the bigger act and having higher billing on the poster. Going up against The Weeknd is not the optimal timeslot this year for obvious reasons. Whoever the defacto Sahara "headliner" is will be second to last, mark my words.

  28. #178

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions 2018: FRIDAY

    Yeah, I don’t think Underworld is a good comparison here. Not sure we really have one to be honest. I need someone to show me a JMJ crowd dancing before I think the Sahara is happening haha.

  29. #179
    old school travelfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,912

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions 2018: FRIDAY

    I don't know, I thought nobody would show up for Underworld and I thought that was the common board perception at the time. GV did some scheduling magic to ensure people showed up to them. Underworld is definitely one of the premiere live electronic acts but it's not like that guarantees a crowd anymore at Coachella.

  30. #180

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions 2018: FRIDAY

    Yeah, but that’s because this board thinks every good act will be criminally underattended. It’s become a parody of itself.

    My newfound opposition to JMJ in the Sahara has nothing to do with it being empty (Outdoor would be even worse!) and is more because the more I listen to him, he just doesn’t sound at all like an act that goes there. The only reason he would is LAZERZ and he’ll bring plenty of those himself.

Similar Threads

  1. Set Time Predictions 2017: FRIDAY
    By mikey1313 in forum Misc. Babble
    Replies: 2058
    Last Post: 06-09-2017, 07:30 AM
  2. Set Time Predictions 2016: FRIDAY
    By mikey1313 in forum Misc. Babble
    Replies: 2524
    Last Post: 04-22-2016, 12:34 PM
  3. 2013 - Friday Set Time Predictions
    By autopsy turvey in forum Misc. Babble
    Replies: 680
    Last Post: 04-10-2013, 01:26 AM
  4. Set Time Predictions - FRIDAY
    By clumsy342 in forum Misc. Babble
    Replies: 707
    Last Post: 04-12-2012, 11:01 AM
  5. Set Time Predictions- FRIDAY
    By clumsy342 in forum Misc. Babble
    Replies: 1141
    Last Post: 04-13-2010, 12:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •