Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Coachella Message Boards Collective Albums 2017

Default Re: Coachella Message Boards Collective Albums 2017

Thank you Klein . Hopefully you drink and accept.my beer at a future time.
    Translation

Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    I want to punch that woman.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    Recap of the Top 17. Thanks for catching my omissions. We want it accuarate.

17. Spoon - Hot Thoughts
    16. King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Polygondwanaland
    15. Ty Segall - Ty Segall
    14. Fleet Foxes - Crack-Up
    13. Brand New - Science Fiction
    12. Perfume Genius - No Shape
    11. Converge - The Dusk in Us
    10. Father John Misty - Pure Comedy
    9. Fever Ray - Plunge
    8. St. Vincent - Masseduction
    7. Lorde - Melodrama
    6. The War on Drugs - A Deeper Understanding
    5. The XX - I See You
    4. Slowdive - Slowdive
    3. The National - Sleep Well Beast
    2. Kendrick Lamar - Damn
    1. LCD Soundsystem - American Dream
    So out of all these, only Fleet Foxes and The War on Drugs likely to be at Coachella this year?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueBus View Post
    So out of all these, only Fleet Foxes and The War on Drugs likely to be at Coachella this year?
    I guess. So the 2017 lineup had Kendrick Lamar, The XX, Lorde, Father John Misty, King Gizzard, plus with a 2016 LCD Soundsystem reunion. Not bad

2017 easily the worst year for music since 2008

Quote Originally Posted by GolfWang View Post
    I disagree. I find major statement years as thrilling as the next, but this year there were lots of fun small threads to follow. If you love death metal, it's easily the best year in over a decade. Latin music was really on fire this year. Indie music started to crawl out from the old vanguards and make some interesting headways. I heard more good new punk this year than I have in a long time.

I don't think the big names blew minds like they have in years past, but that doesn't necessarily make a great year. Similarly, the best records won't ever top my end of the decade list, but there are lots of strong albums from this year, and I struggled more to break down a top 50 than in years past.

That said, supremely disappointed that Quitapenas didn't put out a new album this year. I figured between the early single, the crazy touring and the Coachella set that they would release a new one by the end of the year. Here's hoping for next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I'm also disgusted in all of you. Converge rightly made it, but no Power Trip?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Haven't been around lately so missed the deadline to submit a list for this. Would have definitely included albums from The National and The War on Drugs. A little surprised to see Lorde's album, didn't think it was good at all. LCD isn't my thing so I can't really comment on that album in detail, although I did like "I used to" off it. Appears I'm one of the only people in the world who doesn't like Damn. I'm sure many people legitimately loved it but I'm curious how many others just felt obligated to throw it on their lists because of the seemingly universal praise it got.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I disagree. I find major statement years as thrilling as the next, but this year there were lots of fun small threads to follow. If you love death metal, it's easily the best year in over a decade. Latin music was really on fire this year. Indie music started to crawl out from the old vanguards and make some interesting headways. I heard more good new punk this year than I have in a long time.

I don't think the big names blew minds like they have in years past, but that doesn't necessarily make a great year. Similarly, the best records won't ever top my end of the decade list, but there are lots of strong albums from this year, and I struggled more to break down a top 50 than in years past.

That said, supremely disappointed that Quitapenas didn't put out a new album this year. I figured between the early single, the crazy touring and the Coachella set that they would release a new one by the end of the year. Here's hoping for next year.
    yeah death metal is one of the few genres i don't like. don't get me wrong, there were lots of things I liked this year (most of them smaller, but that's almost how it always is for me anyway), but overall there just weren't nearly as many albums that I ended up going back to over and over. usually it's a struggle to whittle down a list to just 25. i did not have that problem this year.

Quote Originally Posted by GolfWang View Post
    No - 2017 was probably the worst year for great albums in last 15, not one legit "5 star" album came out in 2017, but a way deeper and more interesting year frankly than the last few overall, and as Bmack said, lots of fun genre threads to follow.

For my money, we just went through the worst overall year in about the last 20 and that was 2016. 2017 was a breath of fresh air by comparison.

That said, if your listening is dominated by certain genres, I could see why you would think that.

Hip Hop, in particular, Kendrick and a few other elite talents aside, is working it's way through some mighty dreadful stylistic/sonic trends at the moment (imo, it's going through its equivalent to rock's early mid 70s prog/soft rock/dumb hard rock phase). It's too great a genre not to bounce back, but for right now, Hip Hop overall has supplanted Big Tent EDM as the absolute worst of the worst out there.
    Radiohead - The Xx - Father John Misty - Bonobo - DJ Shadow - Guided By Voices - Preservation Hall Jazz Band - King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - The Interrupters - Klangstof

Beyonce - Bon Iver - Nicholas Jarr - Tycho - Four Tet - The Avalanches - Banks & Steelz - Car Seat Headrest - Mitski - Floating Points

Kendrick Lamar - New Order - Future Islands - Hans Zimmer - Toots & The Maytals - Devendra Banhart - Lee Fields & The Expresions - Whitney - Preoccupations - Hinds - Ezra Furman - Pond

Quote Originally Posted by ElDuderino99 View Post
    Haven't been around lately so missed the deadline to submit a list for this. Would have definitely included albums from The National and The War on Drugs. A little surprised to see Lorde's album, didn't think it was good at all. LCD isn't my thing so I can't really comment on that album in detail, although I did like "I used to" off it. Appears I'm one of the only people in the world who doesn't like Damn. I'm sure many people legitimately loved it but I'm curious how many others just felt obligated to throw it on their lists because of the seemingly universal praise it got.
    I suspect this to some degree, whether people realize it or not. I liked Damn alright but don't think it's his best album (I think all his albums thus far are imperfect but each has its own highs). Melodrama was similarly underwhelming.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueBus View Post
    Those are the most likely, but a handful of others are at the least not unlikely. Fever Ray, Perfume Genius, and Slowdive all have tour schedules that leave them free to play Coachella. We're also assuming The National and Spoon are out because of LA radio festivals in January, but that's relatively uncharted territory (and Spoon still doesn't list the IHeartRadio one on their website, though they're playing it); they're unlikely, but still moderately possible.
    Last edited by braundiggity; 12-29-2017 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    Those are the most likely, but a handful of others are at the least not unlikely. Fever Ray, Perfume Genius, and Slowdive all have tour schedules that leave them free to play Coachella. We're also assuming The National and Spoon are out because of LA radio festivals in January, but that's relatively uncharted territory (and Spoon still doesn't list the IHeartRadio one on their website, though they're playing it); they're unlikely, but still moderately possible.
    Yeah, I was still holding out hope for The National but they're listed as 'Out' on TME's confirmation/rumors thread, so I figured it was a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniQ View Post

That said, if your listening is dominated by certain genres, I could see why you would think that.
    I mean, I listen to pretty much everything except metal and country. I actually thought Rap music was pretty great this year, but 2017 was more of a great singles year than a great albums year for the genre.

And yeah like you said, in 2017 overall there were a lot of really good albums, but hardly any great albums. At least for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ElDuderino99 View Post
    Would be interesting to do this poll early November and cut off by Thanksgiving before most of the lists come out to see if our top results end up much different or the same as the publications. BTW thanks klien for doing this. I like revisiting these threads for prior years when we do this.
    5/23 Lena Wilikens @ F8 | 5/24 Las Sucias, Cube, Group Rhoda @ Hemlock Tavern | 5/26 Fever Ray @ Fox Theater | 5/30 Slowdive @ Filmore

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniQ View Post
    For my money, we just went through the worst overall year in about the last 20 and that was 2016
    Really? Between David Bowie, Radiohead, A Tribe Called Quest, Frank Ocean and Solange. Iím forgetting more, i feel last year was arguably better.

Quote Originally Posted by Albiedamned View Post
    Really? Between David Bowie, Radiohead, A Tribe Called Quest, Frank Ocean and Solange. I’m forgetting more, i feel last year was arguably better.
    And Blink-182 and Green Day!

Also noting that Thanksgiving cutoff idea. Could be a cool experiment.

Here's an interesting take from COS on 2017.

https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/...mpression=true

I kinda like though that our deadline is later on, in order to include December releases (there is usually a couple gems to be found each year). As it is right now, it's not difficult to see how our tastes rightfully differ to the music sites/publications.

"Money can't give what the truth takes away."

Quote Originally Posted by Albiedamned View Post
    Really? Between David Bowie, Radiohead, A Tribe Called Quest, Frank Ocean and Solange. I’m forgetting more, i feel last year was arguably better.
    It was, definitely, at the very top, but not overall - 2017 just has such superior depth to my ears. There may be more high quality releases in the female singer/songwriter genre this year alone than there were total top tier releases in 2016.
    Radiohead - The Xx - Father John Misty - Bonobo - DJ Shadow - Guided By Voices - Preservation Hall Jazz Band - King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - The Interrupters - Klangstof

Beyonce - Bon Iver - Nicholas Jarr - Tycho - Four Tet - The Avalanches - Banks & Steelz - Car Seat Headrest - Mitski - Floating Points

Kendrick Lamar - New Order - Future Islands - Hans Zimmer - Toots & The Maytals - Devendra Banhart - Lee Fields & The Expresions - Whitney - Preoccupations - Hinds - Ezra Furman - Pond