Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coachella Message Boards Collective Albums 2017

Default Re: Coachella Message Boards Collective Albums 2017

Because you were too lazy to follow the basic concept of the thread by posting the album titles. Now he has to go around and dig up all of the ones he doesn't know because you couldn't be bothered.

LOL. Relax Pea.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Ha. King Gizzard and Future aren’t on my list so anyone who cares should be able to figure it out.

Klein, feel free to ignore any/all of my list if it makes your life easier. Thanks for doing it

1. Kevin Morby – City Music
    2. Hurray for the Riff Raff – The Navigator
    3. The Bats – The Deep Set
    4. Steve Lacy – Steve Lacy's Demo
    5. Chicano Batman – Freedom is Free
    6. Waxahatchee – Out In The Storm
    7. The War on Drugs – A Deeper Understanding
    8. Fleet Foxes – Crack-Up
    9. Happyness – Write In
    10. Alvvays – Antisocialites
    11. The Weather Station – The Weather Station
    12. The Cornshed Sisters – Honey & Tar
    13. Joan Shelley – Joan Shelley
    14. Bedouine – Bedouine
    15. Julie Byrne – Not Even Happiness
    16. Margo Price – All American Made
    17. The Feelies – In Between
    18. Wolf Parade – Cry Cry Cry
    19. Cécile McLorin Salvant – Dreams and Daggers
    20. Tara Jane O'Neil – Tara Jane O'neil
    21. Beach Fossils – Somersault
    22. Sheer Mag – Need To Feel Your Love
    23. Courtney Barnett & Kurt Vile – Lotta Sea Lice
    24. Hiss Golden Messenger – Hallelujah Anyhow
    25. Alex Lahey – I Love You Like A Brother

Top 17 because all of these surpassed 50 points and everything else was just a tight clusterfuck at the bottom.
    With that being said

#17 - 51 points

Spoon - Hot Thoughts
    Klein ranking 8.5/10

"And with the sexy title track and first single upfront, it’s tempting to call this the band’s fun album." Consequnce of Sound

"True to form, ninth album ‘Hot Thoughts’ is an extension of their slick signature – a source of envy for any act hoping to combine style with substance." - NME

Quote Originally Posted by SavageHenry101 View Post
    Going to echo the praise for the Spoon record. I've never been heavily into them - even the last record - but this one is terrific.

Quote Originally Posted by santasutt View Post
    The new Spoon is uptempo and full of hooks.

Listen for yourself.
    In my top 3 with a bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Fuzz View Post
    Spoon is back at it. I think it's impossible not to enjoy this. .
    Last edited by theklein25; 12-28-2017 at 01:50 PM.

#16 - 52 points

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Polygondwanaland
    Klein ranking - N/A

“Like its mouthful of a title, Polygondwanaland delivers a 10-course meal without dividers between its dishes. Songs seep into one another for an immersive listen.” Pitchfork

“And if “Crumbling Castle” is the roadmap, it’s a huge one, one that leaves the band plenty of room to wander. There are some genuinely gorgeous acoustic folk songs on Polygodwanaland, but even on those tracks, both of the band’s drummers get serious workouts.” – Stereogum

Quote Originally Posted by Fourthisto View Post
    Yeah but this isn't:

https://kinggizzard.bandcamp.com/album/polygondwanaland
    It's fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by rafinha View Post
    Thanks for those links, bmack.
    Was able to download the .wav files before the site crashed. Really digging the album! Might be my favorite since Nanagon.

#15 -57 points

Ty Segall - Ty Segall

"For someone with roots in a genre—garage-punk—that puts a premium on gritty authenticity, Segall has become increasingly fond of artifice" - Pitchfork

"but on Ty Segall, he's taken yet another strong step toward turning retroactive garage rock into high art." - NPR

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Yep.

I really enjoy the other three you posted about. The Ty Segall is my favorite of the year thus far.
    Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    Awesome, I'm glad to hear you like it -- if you do, I probably will as well. I definitely need to give more spins to the other three I mentioned. I am so behind on listening in general. It's hard to keep up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

#14- 59 points

Fleet Foxes - Crack-Up
    Klein ranking: N/A

"Crack-Up finds Pecknold in environs far from the pastoral scenes of his early material, but when he sings like this, there can be no mistake about who you’re listening to. It’s a fitting introduction to a different sort of Fleet Foxes album, one that’s stormy, ambitious" - Spin

It is alternately beautiful, intriguing and quite irritating, as bands turning inward and indulgent are wont to be. Indeed, you can say the same thing about Crack-Up as a whole.” – The Guardian

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    The new fleet Foxes album is pretty good.
    Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    I've been outrageously behind on new music, but I enjoyed the new Fleet Foxes when I gave it a cursory listen today. I'll need to give it more of my attention, but it's almost like a more prog (using this term loosely) version of them. Fans won't be disappointed.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I also liked the new Fleet Foxes after one listen.
    crack-up.jpg
    Last edited by theklein25; 12-28-2017 at 01:51 PM.

#13 - 62 points

Brand New - Science Fiction
    Klein ranking: 8/10

"a wise and vulnerable conclusion for a rock band who were crucial in shaping a scene, a sound, and many emotions." – pitchfork

“part of a lineage of constantly-shape-shifting, steadfastly fascinating experimental rock bands” billboard

"Science Fiction is both a reunion and a career-closer, after years of stage-managed absence. Perhaps only Brand New could find a seamless way to do both." – NPR

Quote Originally Posted by lifeofgeoff View Post
    Their new stuff is great!
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    also I never really listened to Brand New or emo but I liked the new Brand New album (is that emo?) but I listened to it in an emotionally fragile state when my cat was sick. So I guess if that's emo I GET IT NOW
    Quote Originally Posted by summersnow View Post
    This was a good week for music.

Finally got to listen to the new Brand New on my car's speakers 2x today (lots of driving) and my GOD that is an album. I'm not even a particularly big fanboy but that run of the first 9 songs is incredible, they can just do that live front-to-back and I'd be thrilled (basically have to go to this High & Low Festival out in San Bernardino on 9/9 now).

Where's Ty Segall at? Doing the math, his album had 57 pts.

Also, Fever Ray totaled to 84 pts...Right?
    Last edited by tycobb667; 12-27-2017 at 01:08 PM.

"Money can't give what the truth takes away."

Quote Originally Posted by tycobb667 View Post
    Where's Ty Segall at? Doing the math, his album had 57 pts.

Also, Fever Ray totaled to 84 pts...Right?
    corrections on the way

#12 - 68 points

Perfume Genius - No Shape
    Klein rating: 5/10

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I am constantly switching from the new Perfume Genius to Banks to new Grizzly Bear lately. I can't get enough! I wish I'd checked out Perfume Genius earlier. A local friend of mine said she has already seen them 5 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by LickTheLizzard View Post
    Everyone should listen to the new Perfume Genius album.
    Quote Originally Posted by GolfWang View Post
    yessss. also I had somehow already forgotten that they're playing FYF this year! can't wait.
    “No Shape, however, is a different beast again, one in which the light is no longer at the end of a nightmarish tunnel.” – The Guardian

“Even more striking: satisfaction kinda becomes him. "Alan," the album's brooding denouement, is startled by its own happy ending. "Everything is alright ... How weird!" Hadreas hollers. Good news can seem like that, sometimes.” – Rolling Stone

#11 - 73 points

Converge - The Dusk in Us

"Where Converge’s musical maturity shows most is in its demonstrated devotion to the low and slow, a tradition popularized by the immense Jane Doe title track and Axe to Fall late bloomer “Wretched World" - Consequnce of Sound

"These guys all know exactly what they’re doing, and as great as those other bands may be, they’ve got a greater chemistry with one another than they have with anyone else." - Stereogum

#10 - 80 points

Father John Misty - Pure Comedy

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueBus View Post
    Thoughts on new album? I've listened to it a couple of times now, and it's not really doing it for me. I wonder how much of the new stuff he'll be preforming... probably a good amount I'd guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    There's like 4-5 songs I really like. But I never know how serious to take his lyrics. It almost seems like a parody.
    "Oh, great, that's just what we all need/Another white guy in 2017/Who takes himself so goddamn seriously." That he can't help but agree is one more nail in his coffin." - Rolling Stone

"Pure Comedy, Father John Misty’s third album, is a complex, often-sardonic, and, equally often, touching meditation on the confounding folly of modern humanity. Father John Misty is the brainchild of singer-songwriter Josh Tillman." - Amazon
    Last edited by theklein25; 12-28-2017 at 01:57 PM.

#9 - 84 points

Fever Ray - Plunge
    Klein ranking: N/A

"Karin Dreijer pushes herself to new limits, and it feels entirely individualistic" – Consequnce of Sound

"Fever Ray is more alive than ever on the wild, thrilling Plunge" – AV Club

Quote Originally Posted by nyarlathotoats View Post
    Plunge by Fever Ray is all sorts of goodness. Is it dark as S/T? No. But it does have elements of that atmosphere with a more danceable feel to it. Fucking 1 spin and already in my top 10 for this year. Get on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by tmac View Post
    I dig it. Does sound a lot like The Knife though.

Thanks dude. It's always fun to see these breakdowns, even if we don't have the same level of board activity to fuel the quote bays.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

That's cool, theklein!
    I miss talking to TomAz.

We all do. I live in the same city as him (unless he relocated) and rumor has it that at 3:15am if you listen closely and its really really quiet you can hear him telling you to go fuck yourself.

#8 - 124 points

St. Vincent - Masseduction

"Masseduction isn’t a pop album so much as a deeply, admittedly personal communique with a pop veneer." - Pitchfork

"Instead of trying to top her previous heights, Clark is much more interested in exploring new territory. This comes in the form of extreme vulnerability as her breathy voice shakes on the intimate opening track, “Hang on Me”." - Consequence of Sound

[QUOTE=scochran3;3149039
    New St. Vincent is f'n fantastic.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Albiedamned View Post
    St. Vincent is the best of the bunch IMO but i'll give a few more listens this week.

#7 - 126 points

Lorde - Melodrama
    Klein ranking: 8.5/10

"a cocky challenge to her pop rivals " - The Guardian

"Melodrama is devilish in its cleverness" - NME

"Everything about Melodrama, from its long gestation period to its dramatic artwork, demonstrate Lorde's determination not to squander her creative freedom" - SPIN

Quote Originally Posted by NancyL View Post
    Lorde - Melodrama - The reviews are a bit over the top for this one, but surprised how much I like some of the songs here, especially Green Light. That's gotta be a contender for mainstream pop song of the year, right? .
    Quote Originally Posted by alexandra760 View Post
    now that's the dark lorde i like to hear! she's basically my headliner for sunday and i hope to be able to leave early this year. how strict are they on the 10pm cutoff?

#6 - 130 points

The War on Drugs - A Deeper Understanding
    Klein ranking: 8/10

"The obsessive studio work of Adam Granduciel creates a hermetic experience like no other. A Deeper Understanding is his most layered and meticulous album, a twilight world in which to lose yourself." - Pitchfork

"The War on Drugs' new album, A Deeper Understanding, is being hailed as one of the best rock LPs of the year. It's a surprise hit for the band, which spent years as indie-rock heroes before signing with Atlantic in 2015." - Rolling Stone

Listened to the new War on Drugs album a couple of times through now. More really good stuff. Not sure I'd put it on the level with Lost in a Dream, but it's cut from the same cloth. Granduciel has a Springsteen type sound to him that I really enjoy. Really hoping to see them at Coachella next year.

#5 - 147 points

The XX - I See You
    Klein ranking: 9/10

"I See You, the third album by the xx, attempts to incorporate everyone’s talents into a new version of their sound, one true to their roots but richer and more varied." - Pitchfork

"What makes The xx and I See You so enthralling, then, may not be a particular combination of lyrics and melodies, but the notion that there’s a secret life playing out here — one we may not be entirely privy to, but one that still rings with the sound of truth in all of its complexities." - Consequnce of Sound

Quote Originally Posted by alexandra760 View Post
    they were the surprise of coachella for me this year. i expected them to be mellow-out music and more heady and low energy. totally wrong. you could feel their excitement to be there. the stage/lights were great and their rapport was wonderful.
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    The XX at the Forum had one of the most grateful and applauding crowds i've ever witnessed. Whomever said LA has a shitty crowd can go fuck themselves.

#4 - 151 points

Slowdive - Slowdive
    Klein ranking: 7/10

"Slowdive is as stunning a comeback record as I can recall in recent times. It’s on par with the band’s best work." - Stereogum

"On Their First Album in 22 Years, Slowdive Remind Us Why They’re Shoegaze Icons " - Spin

Quote Originally Posted by NancyL View Post
    Slowdive - just super solid shoegaze. Nice comeback.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    I really like that new Slowdive track.

#3 - 215 points

The National - Sleep Well Beast
    Klein ranking: 9/10

"The band’s seventh album adds more chaos to their stately drama. It is full of abandon and quiet contemplation as Matt Berninger sings not about how to enjoy life, but how to simply endure it." - Pitchfork

"Elegant melancholia isn’t enough for the National anymore. On its seventh album, “Sleep Well Beast,” its new songs have more rhythmic ferment and melodic crosscurrents; they translate emotional complexity into musical counterpoint." - New York Times

"The National doesn’t rest on the excellent Sleep Well Beast" - AV Club

Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    The new album by The National is, as expected, very good. Some of the tracks are already among my favorites of theirs. I think the sequencing is a little odd; the album goes back and forth between barnburners and very chill tunes seemingly every track, so it never has a chance to really build in the way I think it could have. I'll probably listen to it ten times today, haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Albiedamned View Post
    This National album is fantastic. What an opener with Nobody Else Will Be There!
    What an exciting year for music, I didn't think it could get any better than last year.
    I've listened thru Sleep Well Beast a few times now. Full disclosure, I'm not the biggest fan of The National but I do like a fare share of their music. With that said, I'm not sure I'm on board with the majority of people who seem to love it. Didn't like the off-beat drum patterns on a few of the songs. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's solid enough for my expectations. But I'm not sure I'd put it above High Violet or TWFM. Perhaps on par with them but idk yet. I really like some of their slower tempo cuts on here tho... "Carin at the Liquor Store" "Nobody Else Will be There" "Dark Side of the Gym" & "Born to Beg" are all really nice. Again, overall solid album. Just don't know if it's great.
    Quote Originally Posted by thepiratepenguin View Post
    "Sleep Well Beast" lives up to expectations. It's hard to think of many big indie names that not only puts out new music regularly (no 7-year hiatuses), but does so at a consistently high quality like The National. This is definitely their best since "Boxer". As much as I loved TWFM, it had 2 or 3 filler tracks on it. But everything here feels essential. I can't wait to hear "Turtleneck" live.
    Quote Originally Posted by tycobb667 View Post
    Also totally loving the new albums from The National
    2017 has been a very strong year thus far, and there's plenty more greatness to come before it ends.

converge, lcd, kendrick top three?
    5/23 Lena Wilikens @ F8 | 5/24 Las Sucias, Cube, Group Rhoda @ Hemlock Tavern | 5/26 Fever Ray @ Fox Theater | 5/30 Slowdive @ Filmore

^ But there's only 2 spots left! lol

I'm sure LCD & Kendrick will be the last two...

lol. brain not working right now. surprised no metal made it to the list as converge was rated pretty high on a few lists.
    5/23 Lena Wilikens @ F8 | 5/24 Las Sucias, Cube, Group Rhoda @ Hemlock Tavern | 5/26 Fever Ray @ Fox Theater | 5/30 Slowdive @ Filmore

Quote Originally Posted by lt.roast.a.botch View Post
    lol. brain not working right now. surprised no metal made it to the list as converge was rated pretty high on a few lists.
    You're correct on this though! I looked at the lists and Converge should end up with 73 pts, which should put it right before Father John Misty on our board list...Looks like Klein will need to make this one last correction!

now, if only we voted in a true house/techno album we would be a well rounded board...

#2 - 223 points

Kendrick Lamar - Damn.
    Klein rating: 9/10

"Kendrick Lamar Moves From Uplift to Beast Mode on Dazzling 'Damn.'" - Rolling Stone

"Kendrick Lamar's album is a powerful, potent look inside the troubled mind of a genius. " - NME

"The raps on his fourth studio album DAMN. jab mercilessly like a sewing machine. His boyish nasal instrument is distinct and inimitable as it slithers up and down in pitch on “PRIDE.” Even when Lamar sounds like Eminem, or Drake, or OutKast, he sounds like himself, and he arguably outpaces them all as a writer." - Pitchfork

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Fuzz View Post
    DNA goes so fucking hard. The second part after the interlude where they sample Rick James saying "give me the ganja" is fire! The lyrics are genius and that beat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasma Del Mar View Post
    Got around to listening to the new Kendrick. That shit is fire.
    Quote Originally Posted by rousse View Post
    DNA, repeat, DNA, repeat, DNA, repeat
    Quote Originally Posted by tessalasset View Post
    There are a few songs (mainly the banger-ish ones like DNA and Loyalty) that aren't hitting with me yet, but overall I fucking love this album already. I screamed out loud in the car a few times listening to it yesterday. Like someone said on the previous page, he does whatever the fuck he wants and makes everyone catch up. Exactly. I cannot wait to get lost in this album with my good headphones and genius.

#1 - 228 points

LCD Soundsystem - American Dream
    Klein rating: 8/10

"American Dream. The rebirth of LCD Soundsystem is marked by an extraordinary album obsessed with endings: of friendships, of love, of heroes, of a certain type of geeky fandom, and of the American dream itself." - Pitchfork

"Electro-punks LCD Soundsystem encapsulate a place and time with this long-awaited return in the form of 'American Dream'." - NME

"feels like exactly the album 2017 needs—urgent, angry, achingly self-aware." - Entertainment Weekly

Quote Originally Posted by scochran3 View Post
    After a year of somewhat disappointing releases from big names (Gorillaz, Arcade Fire, etc.) it's nice to have LCD Soundsystem f'n deliver - album is awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    THE NEW LCD SOUNDSYSTEM ALBUM IS FUCKING GREAT!!!!! OTHER VOICES IS FIRE!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by slinkybutt View Post
    This album is so boring and lame. Yall are fucking dweebs
    Quote Originally Posted by rousse View Post
    I really, really love this album. The absolute HADOUKEN! of change yr mind/how do you sleep?/tonite/call the police right in the middle blows my mind. black screen, along with Radiohead's Daydreaming, is one of the most beautiful songs I've heard in a very long time. An absolute grower, too. I can't see myself not liking this album more and more with each coming listen.

Between this, next week's the National album, the War on Drugs, QOTSA, Mogwai and even Daughter's soundtrack for the new Life is Strange game (all boardies should be in love with these games) this has been one hell of a few weeks
    Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post
    Im half way through the album now, Im REALLY liking this, I think How Do You Sleep? is one of the best songs they've ever written. I hope they play all these live on tour.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeoley View Post
    New album leaked last night. Wow what a nice come back for them. Plenty of stand out moments. How Do You Sleep? is really something else though. I can see it replacing Yeah in their live sets.
    Last edited by theklein25; 12-28-2017 at 05:27 PM.

Recap of the Top 17. Thanks for catching my omissions. We want it accuarate.

17. Spoon - Hot Thoughts
    16. King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Polygondwanaland
    15. Ty Segall - Ty Segall
    14. Fleet Foxes - Crack-Up
    13. Brand New - Science Fiction
    12. Perfume Genius - No Shape
    11. Converge - The Dusk in Us
    10. Father John Misty - Pure Comedy
    9. Fever Ray - Plunge
    8. St. Vincent - Masseduction
    7. Lorde - Melodrama
    6. The War on Drugs - A Deeper Understanding