Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Levitation Austin 2018

Default Re: Levitation Austin 2018

Quote Originally Posted by dilgreene View Post
    $400 "Deluxe" Pass for Access to all shows, and VIP at Stubbs.
    The Deluxe also gets you into the Thursday shows.

$100 Pass for all Stubbs shows
    No. $45 ($55 after fees) each for GA each night at Stubbs only, $100 ($117) for VIP each night at Stubbs only.

Pass. The lineup is solid (if predictable), but the logistics aren't my thing. Seems like the experience would basically boil down to seeing one show a night for three (or four) nights, which isn't the sort of "festival" I'm interested in traveling for. If I lived in Austin, I'd be all over it, of course.

Sorry for the error. Deluxe passes have sold out.

errr maybe i wont go.
    Translation

Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    I want to punch that woman.

Slowdive w/ SURVIVE was an instant purchase for me, even at $55, but the rest of the lineup is whatever for me.
    4/28 Slowdive & SURVIVE . 5/2 Jack White . 5/4 U2 . 5/30-6/2 Primavera Sound . 7/21 Lake Street Dive . 7/23 Animal Collective . 7/31 Beach House . 9/15 Beyoncé & Jay-Z

Quote Originally Posted by dilgreene View Post
    Sorry for the error. Deluxe passes have sold out.

yeah, screw this format.

don't call it a festival.
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorAve View Post
    Careful, while the threats are amusingly clueless, I could probably have this whole board shut down with one phone call.
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    2. Migos- The new Beatles.

Damn, been going to APF/Levitation for 5 years now and was lil disappointed in new format but was willing to give it a try cause had a good time when it got cancelled in 2016 and still got to hang in Austin BUT after just the initial announcement I already would have conflicts on some of the bands. Bummer. Looks like I'm out for this one. Milwaukee Psych sounded kinda cool tho but looks like same format of venues. Wonder why so many "festivals" are switching to this

Get the feeling this is going to be a cluster*ck. At quick glance, on Sunday alone, BJM/Black Angels conflicts with Thee Oh Sees AND Wooden Shjips spread across 3 different venues??? So you'd have to pay over $100 to see them AND miss a chunk of each set most likely and that's assuming you can just walk right in to each venue w/o it being oversold and 1in1out.

Millwaukee Psych Fest is really cool. The first day or two is at a small club and the main day is at a brewery with two stages.
    Translation

Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    I want to punch that woman.

The 4 day Stubb's pass for $170 looks intriguing.

Some solid adds, brah:

NEW ADDITIONS

THE MAKE-UP • TY SEGALL (2ND SHOW) • THEE OH SEES (2ND SHOW) • ARIEL PINK • RUSSIAN CIRCLES • DIIV • SUUNS • BOOGARINS • THE OCTOPUS PROJECT • NICK HAKIM • RON GALLO • BEDOUINE • NO JOY • TRUE WIDOW • L.A. WITCH • TIJUANA PANTHERS • HOLY WAVE • CHRISTIAN BLAND & THE REVELATORS • POW! • THE WELL • RELAXER • VIVE LA VOID • JJUUJJUU • THE NUDE PARTY • TAJAK • LOU REBECCA • PEARL EARL • AMPLIFIED HEAT • DOPEY’S ROBE • SUPERFONICOS • HIDDEN RITUAL

Quote Originally Posted by Fourthisto View Post
    Some solid adds, brah:

NEW ADDITIONS

THE MAKE-UP • TY SEGALL (2ND SHOW) • THEE OH SEES (2ND SHOW) • ARIEL PINK • RUSSIAN CIRCLES • DIIV • SUUNS • BOOGARINS • THE OCTOPUS PROJECT • NICK HAKIM • RON GALLO • BEDOUINE • NO JOY • TRUE WIDOW • L.A. WITCH • TIJUANA PANTHERS • HOLY WAVE • CHRISTIAN BLAND & THE REVELATORS • POW! • THE WELL • RELAXER • VIVE LA VOID • JJUUJJUU • THE NUDE PARTY • TAJAK • LOU REBECCA • PEARL EARL • AMPLIFIED HEAT • DOPEY’S ROBE • SUPERFONICOS • HIDDEN RITUAL
    Pretty good list of smaller (but awesome) bands there...I was wondering if they were going to throw in one new headliner, but I guess that's not the case.

"Money can't give what the truth takes away."

OUCH, considering Levitation happens in 2 weeks this thread is pretty dead. I take it not too many are going this year with the new setup??

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

I don't blame anyone outside of the Austin area for not doing it. They had so few full 4 day passes and made it super unfriendly for anyone that requires planning to do this festival.

April 24 - Queens of the Stone Age
    April 26-28 - Levitation

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    I don't blame anyone outside of the Austin area for not doing it. They had so few full 4 day passes and made it super unfriendly for anyone that requires planning to do this festival.
    Yeah, hopefully not the death of the festival but guessing they’ll need to dig out a new way to structure it after they run attendance figures this year. Then again, could be wrong and it could end up a big success for them. Just going off my personal experience of knowing all 6 of my friend group aren’t going this year and we’ve been going past 5 yrs and committed before lineups were even released. We had so much fun out at CCR

Quote Originally Posted by jasawithaJ View Post
    Yeah, hopefully not the death of the festival but guessing they’ll need to dig out a new way to structure it after they run attendance figures this year. Then again, could be wrong and it could end up a big success for them. Just going off my personal experience of knowing all 6 of my friend group aren’t going this year and we’ve been going past 5 yrs and committed before lineups were even released. We had so much fun out at CCR
    Some people I know that used to travel to Austin for Levitation are instead making the trek to attend Daze, since you get the full festival/camping experience and similar lineup & vibe...Hopefully Reverberation finds another proper venue around Austin to host the fest.

Pretty sure they’re just trying to get back on their feet this year. There are a billion parks/outdoor spaces besides Carson Creek Ranch that can (and probably will) be utilized.

Anyway, I wouldn’t take this thread as a gauge for how well the shows are selling either.

This board in general has been dying a slow death for years.

I’m going from Boston. If it comes off as planned and they more or less stick to published set times, I expect to have fun, but I’m a bit apprehensive.

My gauge on sales is that none of the shows at Stubbs have sold out, and Panda Bear is the only Mohawk show they’ve posted a low-ticket head’s up for. A bunch of Barracuda shows have sold out, but the capacity there is what, 600? That said, they may be doing okay financially, given the lower overhead of using established venues.

Electric Wizard and Ty Segall/Parquet Courts (Stubb's) are both sold out along with both Thee Oh Sees Shows, Windhand/Dead Meadow (Barracuda outside), La Luz, and Wooden Shjips. Low ticket warning for Slowdive and Ariel Pink. I don't think every show needed to sellout for Levitation to be a "success" but there ya go.
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    speculation strikes again.

It appears they'll be going with the multi-venue approach in future years, and will change things up depending on how this weekend goes:

Does the festival plan to continue the multi-venue format in the future?
    Fitzpatrick: "Yes, we plan to continue utilizing Austin's Red River and East Side venues. There are larger spaces and interesting locations within the downtown core that we're going to be looking at. Things will continue to evolve, especially after we see how this weekend plays out. We'll be looking at what works, what needs improvement, and generally looking for how we can best bring our vision to life in Austin."

For the whole interview, go here: http://www.austinmonthly.com/Blog/Ap...l-Austin-2018/

The set times are set up well and all the venues are super close, so I don't think I'll have any issues with them keeping the format. I'd be nice for them to do it in a park or something again, though.

Also, second Sunday Wooden Shjips show added since the first show sold out:

https://www.facebook.com/events/428641667596249/
    Last edited by Gribbz; 04-25-2018 at 04:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    speculation strikes again.

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    The set times are set up well and all the venues are super close, so I don't think I'll have any issues with them keeping the format. I'd be nice for them to do it in a park or something again, though.

Also, second Sunday Wooden Shjips show added since the first show sold out:

https://www.facebook.com/events/428641667596249/
    Thanks for the head's up on the 2nd Wooden Shjips show.
    I'm glad there have been some Stubbs sell-outs since my earlier comment. I'm looking forward to a great weekend, and want them to succeed. I never felt like every show had to sell out. I just saw the lack of sell-outs at the biggest venues as a gauge of where sales might be overall.

Both OM and Panda Bear shows are now sold out.

Also, Parquet Courts were phenomenal last night and Ty killed it as always.

Stoked for Ty Segall round 2 and Electric Wizard tonight.

Slowdive sold out
    4/28 Slowdive & SURVIVE . 5/2 Jack White . 5/4 U2 . 5/30-6/2 Primavera Sound . 7/21 Lake Street Dive . 7/23 Animal Collective . 7/31 Beach House . 9/15 Beyoncé & Jay-Z

They just released more Slowdive tickets. Also some tickets available for Omni, etc, this afternoon.

Hoping the festival aspect of this keeps crowds from being too packed in since people might be going to more than one show in a night

Empire Control Room was quite packed last night. But Ty’s Barracuda show was pretty comfortable, and not enough people saw Follakzoid. I confess that last night felt more like club-hopping, and less like a festival. Three sold-out shows on tonight’s schedule, see how they go.

Slowdive was fucking incredible

Quote Originally Posted by purplecow View Post
    Slowdive was fucking incredible
    Yep. Dead Meadow and Wooden Shjips’ afternoon shows were pretty special, too. I saw a bunch of other sets I really liked, including some new discoveries.

Overall, I think they did a good job. Things seemed to run on schedule, the sound was good at all the shows I went to, and I didn’t see any problems with ticketed people not getting into shows. Going through multiple lines, bag and ID checks every day got a little tiring, but it was expected. It was nice to have it downtown, but at the end of the day, it still felt more like a weekend of club-hopping than a festival.

I hope they did well enough to continue.

Now time to plan for Levitation Paris! The line is starting out well...

http://levitation-france.com/