Thread: The xx

Default The xx

How was no one talking about them coming out of W1?! I feel like I was reading stuff about them being low energy, but I was shocked by how uptempo oriented it was on Friday, truly amazing. Intro was unreal and that version of Shelter is really fantastic.

Anyone got audio from either show?
    anything could happen

Default Re: The xx

They were my favorite act in 2013 so I knew they'd bring it with their great new album. Loud Places and On Hold were really LOUD and it was awesome.

I'm not sure why, but every time I've seen The xx, I've experienced the rudest crowds. 4 years since they last toured and nothing's changed in that department. This group of 5 pushed their way in beforehand and talked about how excited they were for The xx, only to talk to each other over their entire set and leave afterwards. The fuck?

But yeah, this set was great overall. I do wish they played more newer material on W2 (we got Intro and VCR instead of Lips and Dangerous). Still love that Infinity outro live.

I loved their set W1. Wish they played Intro and Violent Noise, but cant have everything. Love how they seem so humble and shy on stage while addressing the crowd. Seem like really nice people and make you love them even more. It was a great time, lot more energy than 2013 with the new album and Jaime XX adding his flavor to the show.
    10' - 11' - 12' W2 - 13' W1 - 14' W1 - 15' W1 - 16' W1 - 17' W1

You're not on the lineup no one wants to see u dj. Stop. Especially if you're going to play Calvin Harris u fuckin knob... - Reeber

RESPECT THE FORMULA - Guedita

i thought they were OUTSTANDING both weekends. i REALLY wanted violent noise too. :-/
    RECENT/UPCOMING: 10/14 1975 @ LA Forum, 2/1 Run The Jewels @ Shrine, 2/9 Austra @ El Rey, 2/18 Air & Style, 2/24 Radio Dept @ Fonda, 3/12 Full Moon Party (Thailand), 4/8 Radiohead Seattle, 4/9 Radiohead Portland, 4/11 Radiohead Santa Barbara, 4/14 Coachella Wk1, 4/21 Coachella Wk2, 5/12 PJ Harvey @ Greek, 5/13 Conor Oberst @ Greek

Do we think any professional audio of W2 exists? Did they do that TV stream thing they've done the past few years?
    anything could happen

Amazing footage of their show in France last month: http://concert.arte.tv/fr/xx-la-halle-tony-garnier-lyon
    anything could happen

I had low expectations but was really won over by their weekend two set. Very impressed.

They rocked it wk1
    Coachella 2002-2019

Quote Originally Posted by arya. View Post
    How was no one talking about them coming out of W1?! I feel like I was reading stuff about them being low energy, but I was shocked by how uptempo oriented it was on Friday, truly amazing. Intro was unreal and that version of Shelter is really fantastic.

Anyone got audio from either show?
    Agreed. Was there Wk2. They were my second most anticipated and I loved the four song close to the set. Those versions of Fiction and Shelter were great, mainly because they were dancier. Figured Loud Places would be the most likely In Colour song performed...was so happy for that. Even better than in 2013. Go Jamie!! ...and then of course to be able to move up and stay for RADIOHEAD. Heaven!
    Every year except 1999, 2005 & 2008!

They were so good weekend 2. I regretted not going to their stand-alone show in Phoenix the other day. They seemed really emotional and so stoked to play Coachella. And I was thinking, haven't you played it several times before? haha. They seemed so sincere and sweet.
    I miss talking to TomAz.

We all do. I live in the same city as him (unless he relocated) and rumor has it that at 3:15am if you listen closely and its really really quiet you can hear him telling you to go fuck yourself.

they were the surprise of coachella for me this year. i expected them to be mellow-out music and more heady and low energy. totally wrong. you could feel their excitement to be there. the stage/lights were great and their rapport was wonderful.

One of my favorite performances of Weekend 1. I loved the addition of Jaime xx's "Loud Places" into their set.
    Coachella 09, 10, 11, 12(WK1), 13(WK2), 14(WK2), 15(WK1), 16(WK1), 17(WK1), 18(WK1)

It's all about the music.

Quote Originally Posted by alexandra760 View Post
    they were the surprise of coachella for me this year. i expected them to be mellow-out music and more heady and low energy. totally wrong. you could feel their excitement to be there. the stage/lights were great and their rapport was wonderful.
    Agreed! I was very pleasantly surprised, this was my first time seeing them and I thought it would be sleepy.

9/6: The War on Drugs, Land of Talk @ The Paramount

Me three!

I have been spending lot of time of time now just watching over and over again many youtubes by The xx (and many others I fall in love with seeing the first time or blew me away at this year's Coachella).

No one is rude at Coachella

They need to perform again . they are too good not to be there every year

this band sucks

Quote Originally Posted by CurseOfMillhaven View Post
    this band sucks
    fuck you

it's been a beautiful tour/album, that Seoul footage looked special

The XX at the Forum had one of the most grateful and applauding crowds i've ever witnessed. Whomever said LA has a shitty crowd can go fuck themselves. Also Perfume Genius opened and was absolutely awful.

Was at the Santa Barbara show, and honestly, I feel kinda ripped off. $90 ticket and they played for 80 minutes, and several songs were only played partially. Hollywood Bowl show in 2013 was amazing, but they're clearly phoning it in right now.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    Perfume Genius opened and was absolutely awful.
    Lol

The XX at the Forum had one of the most grateful and applauding crowds i've ever witnessed. Whomever said LA has a shitty crowd can go fuck themselves. Also Perfume Genius opened and was absolutely awful.
    yup
    Coachella 2002-2019

Yes! The crowd was great and the venue was cool too (my first time at the forum) the light show during Shelter was the highlight of the night. Perfume Genius was garbage and the hour long intermission sucked. Had I known I would of showed up later just for the XX.

Interpol had a good crowd too on saturday in LA! (a little more goth/hipster but everyone was dancing singing along)

Quote Originally Posted by thepiratepenguin View Post
    Was at the Santa Barbara show, and honestly, I feel kinda ripped off. $90 ticket and they played for 80 minutes, and several songs were only played partially. Hollywood Bowl show in 2013 was amazing, but they're clearly phoning it in right now.
    If they played every song they had, it would just cover 90 mins, so what would you like them to do? Im sorry they put you ''on hold'' in SB.

Also Perfume Genius opened and was absolutely awful.
    I find that hard to believe
    7/21 Lake Street Dive . 7/23 Animal Collective . 7/31 Beach House . 9/15 Beyoncé & Jay-Z . 9/29 The Decemberists . 10/4 Phoenix . 10/5-10/7 ACL Fest . 10/28 Rüfüs Du Sol

Quote Originally Posted by purplecow View Post
    So awful, we had to take a walk. That was the reason more people were outside the venue, while the inside was 5% full

Quote Originally Posted by purplecow View Post
    Consider the poster

Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    Consider the poster
    Not sure what that means. There's this website called Youtube, go see for yourself

Saw them for the 3rd time at III Points last weekend. Solid show. A little sloppy in parts if I am being honest (miss cues etc)
    Still, I just love them. The new material, the reworks of old material, the clear affinity they have for each other and the crowd.
    As much as I lament repeats, I'd likely be front and center for their set if they played this year, barring some conflict that was just too crazy to make me miss.