Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sorry Weekend 2 :( Weekend 1 was better this year!

Default Sorry Weekend 2 :( Weekend 1 was better this year!

We had the better weather and better guest... not to mention no sand storms. Layaway people!

Default Re: Sorry Weekend 2 :( Weekend 1 was better this year!

and Creep
    10' - 11' - 12' W2 - 13' W1 - 14' W1 - 15' W1 - 16' W1 - 17' W1

You're not on the lineup no one wants to see u dj. Stop. Especially if you're going to play Calvin Harris u fuckin knob... - Reeber

RESPECT THE FORMULA - Guedita

BigChella + >100 = "Good Vibes" guys, come on!

Seriously, we really hope that everyone is safe and had so much fun. And 2018, bring it!
    Last edited by idrive1life; 04-24-2017 at 10:24 AM.

Weekend two was great because there were less kiddies

Yes AND Creep!

Quote Originally Posted by M0D3Z View Post
    and Creep
    And major sound issues with ful stop, 15 step and Letdown.

and you need to experience and see Thom & the boys once in your life how they handle/react to such adversity/challenges.

You have seen or will see them play such songs multiple times anyway. hehe

I've been weekend 2 the last 4 years and this was my first year doing weekend 1.

I always like doing weekend 2 for a few reasons, I always thought that if I went weekend one, I would have withdraws while watching everyone go for weekend two. I also liked to hear about how certain shows are and other insider things to make note of. I also liked the feeling of being the last show at coachella for these artists and that they would be giving their all.

This year I did weekend one, I was really excited about the grass which was nice, but there is still a shit ton of dust and other crap blowing around so it was kinda whatever. I felt like the excitement level is a little more noticeable even though both weekends are obviously excited. of course the big story from weekend one are the sound issues, specifically for Radiohead which was tough - but they overcame and put on an incredible show. The guests is also another huge part of weekend one. I got to see some awesome shit this year that I don't think went down weekend 2.

all in all, I don't really have a preference anymore, so I will probably always go weekend 1 because it is the soonest date possible haha. I dream of doing both weekends one day.

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

Loved weekend 2 but I think I'm a try and stick with W1 for the foreseeable future. A lot of dust and no grass. Plus I prefer the magic of an artist seeing a large Coachella crowd for the first time as opposed to telling us how we are in competition with weekend 1.
    "HIGH END RAP MUSIC! GHETTO STADIUM SHIT! THEY AIN'T WANT US AT THE FESTIVALS
    NOW WE WILL RUN THEM!"
    -Some Guy

I used to be a firm believer in weekend 1 but I had a better time at weekend 2 this year.

The Radiohead sound issues may have finally pushed me to Weekend 2. I do feel like it's all largely a crapshoot, and shit can happen either way, but that was really frustrating.

I will try (again) BOTH weekends next year. Ended up not going / selling my W2 pass in 2015 and W1 & W2 2016 passes.

And too late or could not get a last-minute good deal this year on 3rd party for W2 GA and camping passes.

For me, W1 is not enough with huge conflicts and BigChella!

I covered lot of grounds, danced/saw ton of dazzling shows/music, befriended so many nice strangers, ate so much heavenly food and enjoyed all of it tremendously but I want more and more!
    Last edited by idrive1life; 04-24-2017 at 12:03 PM.

W1 has grass and bros. W2 has people who are actually into the music and not just the fashion show and selfies. W1 had creep and street spirit; 2 had exit music and fake plastic trees. Both have their own magic.

Tough call. Weekend 1 had Michael McDonald doing "What a Fool Believes" with Thundercat, while weekend 2 had Bruce Hornsby doing "End of the Innocence" with Bon Iver.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

The weather was fine and I don't give a shit about guests. And unless one happened late last night after I left there were no sandstorms. Weekend 2 still wins for me.

honestly its a really silly argument that I enjoy seeing some people get angry over.

i've been to both every year since they went to two weekends, with the exception of 2013, and i generally always enjoy everything more at wkend2. i also don't give a #$*@ about "surprise guests".... **shrug**
    RECENT/UPCOMING: 10/14 1975 @ LA Forum, 2/1 Run The Jewels @ Shrine, 2/9 Austra @ El Rey, 2/18 Air & Style, 2/24 Radio Dept @ Fonda, 3/12 Full Moon Party (Thailand), 4/8 Radiohead Seattle, 4/9 Radiohead Portland, 4/11 Radiohead Santa Barbara, 4/14 Coachella Wk1, 4/21 Coachella Wk2, 5/12 PJ Harvey @ Greek, 5/13 Conor Oberst @ Greek

A little hard to compare weekends given expansion but this was the first year we all went to W2 -

-In general it felt like lines to get in were easier/more mellow,
    -Less guest spots as previously noted (everyone in my group that went to Mura Masa in particular were pissed that he had none Wkd 2 vs. a ton Wkd 1 - so some people do care)
    -The grass, which did not really bug me too much (other than my feet being disgusting when I wore sandals for 3 hours)

I heard a guy in one of the beer gardens say he goes both wkds and does one wkd by himself in VIP vs. the other with a big group of friends - I would like to do this one year, lineup allowing.
    Friday: Radiohead / King Gizz / Bonobo / Father John Misty / Sampha / Loco Dice / Big Gigantic / Crystal Castles / Jagwar Ma
    Saturday: Moderat / Avalanches / Tycho / Floating Points / Schoolboy Q / Warpaint / Royskopp / Breakbot / Local Natives / Car Seat Headrest / Thundercat / Ben UFO / Swet Shop Boys / Mitski / TDCC / Roisin Murphy
    Sunday: Kendrick Lamar / Hans Zimmer / New Order / Kaytranada / Maya Jane Coles / Devendra Banhart / Tale of Us / Whitney / Preoccupations

after my first time going W2, I thought I'd always go W2. Not anymore. I'm sold again back onto W1 after experiencing the absolutely glorious green grass this year and the high of 84 on Friday.
    7/21 Lake Street Dive . 7/23 Animal Collective . 7/31 Beach House . 9/15 Beyoncé & Jay-Z . 9/29 The Decemberists . 10/4 Phoenix . 10/5-10/7 ACL Fest . 10/28 Rüfüs Du Sol

Quote Originally Posted by purplecow View Post
    after my first time going W2, I thought I'd always go W2. Not anymore. I'm sold again back onto W1 after experiencing the absolutely glorious green grass this year and the high of 84 on Friday.
    Yes, because if there is ever a guarantee, it's that W1 has lower temperatures.

no, it was just a benefit along with the green grass, and it's usually cooler the first weekend. Snarky!
    7/21 Lake Street Dive . 7/23 Animal Collective . 7/31 Beach House . 9/15 Beyoncé & Jay-Z . 9/29 The Decemberists . 10/4 Phoenix . 10/5-10/7 ACL Fest . 10/28 Rüfüs Du Sol

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteIverson View Post
    honestly its a really silly argument that I enjoy seeing some people get angry over.
    No one gives a flying fuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    And to be fair to fikus, violent strangulation is one of his better qualities.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Being dead is literally the only way anyone on the planet could give less of a shit about you. You look like Farrah Fawcett's melted corpse.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    No one gives a flying fuck.
    exactly!

where you been??

Setlists that were simply better weekend two: the xx (intro > lips) and Bon Iver (all the guests > 22 a million).
    anything could happen

Yeah Bon Iver was FAR superior weekend two, which made me so fucking happy. All the friends I went with went both weekends and they were blown away by how lopsided that set was. Absolutely gorgeous. I liked Kendrick's set better weekend 2, too. Week 1 obviously had WAY better weather and grass tho and I didn't realize what a big selling point that would end up being.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

Yeah, I am looking forward being with so many hipsters (in 2018 W2, just like in 2006/2007/2008). Hopefully, they now know at least to move or not just their necks during dance sets.

I just like how there's a one-sided "rivalry" on Bonnaroo end with Coachella, meanwhile Coachella's only rivalry is within itself
    '11 '12 '13 '14 '15 '16 '17

From what it sounds like from you W1'ers, the Avalanches W2 set was astronomically better. Couple that with my absolute preference to Radiohead's W2 setlist over W1 and I was a very happy camper. We also got "i" from Kendrick, which was lovely