Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Top 5 Weekend 2 Sets

Default Re: Top 5 Weekend 2 Sets

1. Warpaint - this was pure magic. And the psychedelic lights were an added bonus.
    2. Hans Zimmer - jaw dropping. This was the rare set that united us all, because regardless of what people are into, they've all seen Lion King, Dark Knight, Pirates, etc.
    3. Nicolas Jaar - first time seeing him and had no idea what to expect and was blown away
    4. Kendrick Lamar - fire emoji
    5. Radiohead - great setlist
    Honorable mentions: The Paranoyds (best of the many sets I saw in the Sonora), Banks, The xx

1. Breakbot
    2. Justice
    3. Empire of the Sun
    4. Classixx (cool Local Natives surprise)
    5. Future

Radiohead - delivers every time. special
    The xx - how great were the last 4 songs strung together like that
    Nicolas Jaar - braced for the long intro, and so pleased with the replacement...went right into it.
    Moderat "is a very dark show"
    Hans Zimmer - if only as a return of actual human musicians performing music...together.

HM: Classixx - about the 5th time I've seen and didn't think I needed to again, but first time at night and it was a nice way to finish Sat
    Every year except 1999, 2005 & 2008!

Finally had some time after the festival, travelling and work to really put together all my thoughts on the weekend.

Top 5
    1. Bon Iver: Just magical. Seeing Flume and Skinny Love was about as big a surprise as possible but the new songs sounded so good live I think he would have been here even without the old songs.
    2. New Order: What an amazing way to end the festival. Just about a perfect setlist from them. This is what I wanted from them in 2013 but didn't get. Age of Consent!
    3. Hans Zimmer: So much has been said about this set already so I don't have much to add. I will say that it seems like the enjoyment people got out of this was directly proportional to how close you were to the stage due to how the orchestra was miked.
    4. Car Seat Headrest: Love how they handled their technical issue during Drunk Drivers/Killer Whales by playing the most cathartic chorus from rock music in a long time over again. It's like I got to play rewind on my favorite part of the song in a live setting.
    5. King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard: From the moment they began the set and a circle pit erupted until the end it was non-stop frenetic energy. Wish they could have played for another hour.

HM:
    Sonora Stage - This was easily my favorite part of the festival. It was like taking your favorite all ages DIY venue, making it not smell awful, putting up cool art and then booking better bands than you would typically ever see. I couldn't pick just one set but The Paranoyds, Tacocat, Guided By Voices, Quitapenas, Surf Curse, Thee Commons and Caveman all just killed it. I did not see a single bad set in there. Hopefully they keep the music going all day and night next year because I got so sad every night when I didn't have the option to head over there. I can't wait to see what they do with a full year to think about how to book this. Particularly I'm wondering if the mix of Latin acts, punk bands and indie rock is something to keep the stage flowing and not having people parked or if they try to mix it up next year and have it be slightly more consistent thematically in terms of music.

The Subs: All three subs I thought were great but each showed why they weren't quite ready to headline. The xx needs another record, Bon Iver plays a style of music that isn't massively popular now with the kids, and Lorde needs to stop being so preachy in her stage banter. Seriously, shut up and play another song with all the time you wasted.

Death: I really wanted to put them in my T5 but I just couldn't for one big reason, their stage placement. Being in the Heineken House was ok at first. The totally obvious thing happened when they started in that the people that were in there quickly cleared out for the most part and left. As new people came in throughout the set most just walked in, made a funny face at what was going on onstage and quickly left. That left a group of about 50-75 people that really wanted to see them up front which was great for the people that cared. About 15 minutes end they even removed the rope that was used to block the audience from the stage and you could get right up close. I was standing in the raised platform a little bit back and had a great view of everything. The sad thing here is this should have been a celebrated and promoted performance. It should have been on at the very least the Sonora stage, maybe after Thee Commons that night. I just feel like it was totally wasted in this shithole of a tent on all but a few people.

Others (in no order): Glass Animals (what a massive crowd, they will be back on the mainstage playing later at night. Definitely more people than radiohead), Radiohead, Klangstof, Floating Points, Mitski, Justice
    Last edited by stochasticism; 04-28-2017 at 02:18 PM.

1. Oh Wonder
    2. Bishop Briggs
    3. The XX
    4. NAO
    5. Phantogram

Quote Originally Posted by stochasticism View Post
    Death... should have been on at the very least the Sonora stage
    Oh my god. This would have been AMAZING!!! I pretty much hate the HH and almost never go in (didn't go in once this year), I'm sad to have missed Death but it's just so weird and unfortunate they were placed there. I hope they come back and play Sonora. P-Funk should also come back and play a "real" stage, they could totally do Mainstage day time or a tent later at night.
    Quote Originally Posted by svatomictwist View Post
    I spin in both directions, and I also dance in FRACTIONS.
    2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011!!!, 2012 (w1), 2013 (w2), 2014! (w2), 2015!! (w2), 2016 (w2), 2017 (w2), 2018 (w2)...

1. Radiohead
    2. Moderat
    3. Nicolas Jaar
    4. Hans Zimmer
    5. Solomun

1. Hans Zimmer
    2. Bon Iver
    3. Justice
    4. Radiohead
    5. Lady Gaga

HM mostly for sets that I didn't see enough of to qualify. Mostly due to overcrowding in tents:

Sampha
    Glass Animals
    Jagwar Ma
    Moderat
    New Order

The sun and heat destroyed me on Friday so i didn't go in as early as I wanted sat and sun.

I'll echo the hivemind with Justice and Hans, but I really enjoyed the xx even if their sound is too small for a stage so big. Glass Animals and Phantogram were also a part of my favs.
    '11 '12 '13 '14 '15 '16 '17

Quote Originally Posted by Bons222000 View Post
    jagwar Ma
    Was this packed?
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ocbruin84 View Post
    Was this packed?
    i went to jagwar ma after richie hawtin and walked straight to front left with no issue. from where i was at the tent looked less than half full.

Roisin Murphy
    Radiohead
    Nao
    Moderat
    New Order

Also: Jagwar Ma, Little Dragon, Sampha, Schoolboy Q

Was this packed?
    Sadly it was one of the tiniest crowds all weekend. The new placement of the Gobi meant that more often than not, the crowds in there were miniscule. Kind of a bummer, I hope they try something a bit different next year, like opening a path between Sahara and Gobi (not just for VIP) or moving the beer garden slightly so people can actually see in the tent when walking by.
    Quote Originally Posted by svatomictwist View Post
    I spin in both directions, and I also dance in FRACTIONS.
    2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011!!!, 2012 (w1), 2013 (w2), 2014! (w2), 2015!! (w2), 2016 (w2), 2017 (w2), 2018 (w2)...

Quote Originally Posted by electrocute View Post
    Sadly it was one of the tiniest crowds all weekend. The new placement of the Gobi meant that more often than not, the crowds in there were miniscule. Kind of a bummer, I hope they try something a bit different next year, like opening a path between Sahara and Gobi (not just for VIP) or moving the beer garden slightly so people can actually see in the tent when walking by.
    I agree. It seemed like the Gobi in particular suffered from tiny crowds because nobody was walking by it.

Quote Originally Posted by electrocute View Post
    Man, I wish I knew that in hindsight. The only time I got close to it was when I was at Avalanches and my friends went over to check out BANKS and were freaking out at how packed and miserable it was. That made me stay away for the whole festival, thinking it was gonna be like that because of the dead end over there.

Quote Originally Posted by stochasticism View Post
    3. Hans Zimmer: So much has been said about this set already so I don't have much to add. I will say that it seems like the enjoyment people got out of this was directly proportional to how close you were to the stage due to how the orchestra was miked.
    Shit, this makes me so glad I got a good spot in front of the sound board. I can't imagine the wind helped too much either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

Quote Originally Posted by tessalasset View Post
    Shit, this makes me so glad I got a good spot in front of the sound board. I can't imagine the wind helped too much either.
    Same. nothing was grabbing me right before Hans set so I wandered over there 20 minutes early and settled in about halfway between the soundboard and the stage on the right hand side. It was just an utterly magnificent show. WHen I met up with my friends later on that night I was shocked that anyone had bad things at all to say about his set. After talking it became obvious the people that were up near the front had great sound and a great experience. Everyone near the back complained about the sound being muddled, the crowd being awful (basically being an OSL crowd) or both.

That's where I was too, hugging the center rail. It was super comfortable too. Everyone had decent personal space hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

Lurker

No particular order: Hans Zimmer, Bon Iver, Kendrick Lamar, Lorde, ScHoolboy Q

Was this packed?
    As others have said, not at all. It was very empty. I forget why I got to this one late but I only saw the last couple of songs.

However, I was shocked at how packed New Order was; I assumed I could stroll right in after Justice, but I ended up bailing because there was no room in the tent. From the 1-2 songs I saw from the back it was really good.

I never get close for sets but I was meeting someone and got there 15 mins early or so. So I had a great spot front right. It was the best set of the weekend for me, so I'm glad it worked out.

1. Radiohead
    2. Hans Zimmer
    3. NAO
    4. Warpaint
    5. Nico Jaar

HM: Kehlani, Avalanches, Sampha, Kendrick, Allah-Las, Car Seat Headrest

Listening to Gaga's set again. Really amazed at how good she was. To really throw it all together in essentially two months is unheard of. Mad respect for her.
    anything could happen

I'd be interested to hear if anyone didn't enjoy Moderat. They were easily #1 for me.

Quote Originally Posted by KBSmith View Post
    I'd be interested to hear if anyone didn't enjoy Moderat. They were easily #1 for me.
    I don't even like EDM generally and it was pretty incredible

Quote Originally Posted by scochran3 View Post
    Moderat isn't EDM.

Quote Originally Posted by scochran3 View Post
    Just because music is electronic, does not make it EDM.

I think thats the problem with alot of older folk, that associate any electronic music as being EDM, and don't even give it a chance.
    Coachella 2011, 2013(wk1), 2014(wk1), 2014(wk2), 2015(wk1),

2016(wk1), 2016(wk2)

1. Radiohead. Never even listened to a whole labum of theres, just songs on the radio or on someone elses playlist. Damn these guys rock out waaaaay harder than I ever could imagine. I kind of felt like I was in a trance for the whole show, and to be blown away by that wall of sound and those crazy visuals was fucking unforgettable.
    2. Nico Jaar/S U R V I V E - Putting this in as 1 show due to the absolute wild tricks both of their music was playing on my mind. Haven't experienced that sort of mind fuckerey in a very very long time, actually could be the most twisted my brain has ever been.
    3. Royksopp/Moderat - once again going to list these as 1 show because it was a consistent flow of music for me anyway. Royksopp can be kinda eurovision cheesey I guess, but they are my guilty pleasure.
    4. Hans Zimmer - was as good as I expected it to be, probably ruined it a little by indulging in the web stream but had a blast, and was jumping round in a jolly circle during pirates.
    5. King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard- best day time show I have ever seen at Coachella. Expect to see them back sub headlining under Tame Impala in a few years time. Perfect mix of story telling, rocking the fuck out, catchy tunes and of course their quirkiness (aka fucking rock stars)

HMs
    FJM - Didn't know how he would translate on the main stage, great set time, and a truly talented musician making light of the demise of modern society.
    Stormzy - another ripping day time set.
    Sasha - Never disappointing. Absolutely drilled me with a nice progressive set, would have been nice if he just kept playing instead of Tale of Us who were absolute garbage Tech-Bro.
    Kendrick Lamar - Only checked him out because I wanted a beer and Tale of Us were horse shit. In the beer garden was good vibes, and I surprisingly enjoyed his show.
    Allah-Las - great band, also expect to see them higher on the bill when Tame Impala headline in a few years.

2016(wk1), 2016(wk2)

managed to ID this song that Sasha mixed beautifully into his set.

2016(wk1), 2016(wk2)