Thread: 2017 Coachella arrests down from first weekend last year despite higher attendance

Cool 2017 Coachella arrests down from first weekend last year despite higher attendance

Coachella arrests down from first weekend last year despite higher attendance

By ALI TADAYON | atadayon@scng.com | The Press-Enterprise
    PUBLISHED: April 18, 2017 at 7:03 pm | UPDATED: April 18, 2017 at 7:36 pm

Despite an all time high attendance at the 2017 Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival’s first weekend, less people were arrested than last year.

Indio police arrested a total of 125 people at the three-day festival that started Friday, April 14, according to a Police Department news release; that’s three less arrests than last year’s opening weekend. Sgt. Dan Marshall said having fewer arrests this weekend was significant since there were noticeably more people than past years. The festival’s capacity was increased to 125,000 this year; past years’ capacity had been 99,000.

“We didn’t feel it at all, you could see there were a lot of people but there were no chokepoint issues, no crushing incidents,” Marshall said in a phone interview Wednesday.

The biggest difference Marshall noticed over the weekend was a reduction in minors possessing fake ID’s, he said. This year, 34 people were arrested for fake ID’s. Last year 46 people were arrested on that charge – a 130 percent increase from the year prior.

No “major incidents” occurred during the festival, Indio police officials said in a Facebook post accompanying the news release. The biggest incident involved four employees of Best Beverage Catering – one of the festival’s food and beverage vendors.

The employees “decided to help themselves to some cash” from the vendor, Marshall said. Detectives determined that they stole more than $10,000, Marshall said. They were arrested on suspicion of embezzlement and conspiracy.

Two people were arrested on suspicion of grand theft, one of whom made national headlines after allegedly stealing more than 100 cellphones.

In addition to the arrests, 155 traffic tickets were issued. More than half of the citations were issued to people using fake or fraudulent disabled person placards.

Marshall said people illegally parking in spots designated for disabled people is a major issue, because there is a limited amount of spots available. If the spots are taken then people who are actually disabled may have to park far away from the entrance. Marshall said the Police Department does not have the resources to tow all of the cars.

The Police Department’s “Amnesty boxes” were a huge success this year, Marshall said, as they are every year. The boxes are placed at the entrance to the venue, and people can drop things – drugs, alcohol and other substances not allowed in the venue – in them, no questions asked.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Default Re: 2017 Coachella arrests down from first weekend last year despite higher attendanc

Wonder how many arrests are normal for say a city with 125,000 residents over 3-4 days.

Default Re: 2017 Coachella arrests down from first weekend last year despite higher attendanc

Is this the first mention of the 125k number? I know they got approved for it, but don't remember seeing anything regarding how many tix were sold.

And how do you write an article about this, but fail to mention that someone had stolen 100 phones, Thats like $50k lol.

lot of cops waiting at the straightaway of Highway 74 pulling folk over. You drive north hours from San Diego or Mexico, through scenic winecountry of Temecula, down the winding road with San Jacinto mountaintops. Windows roll down and feel the desert heat, light that spliff, ahh freedom, we made it and its going to be a great festval.

(sirens)

5-10 mph over speed limit and you getting pulled over. Was like Xmas for cops. Cocks.

Quote Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
    Is this the first mention of the 125k number? I know they got approved for it, but don't remember seeing anything regarding how many tix were sold.

And how do you write an article about this, but fail to mention that someone had stolen 100 phones, Thats like $50k lol.
    "Two people were arrested on suspicion of grand theft, one of whom made national headlines after allegedly stealing more than 100 cellphones."
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post

“We didn’t feel it at all, you could see there were a lot of people but there were no chokepoint issues, no crushing incidents,” Marshall said in a phone interview Wednesday.
    I hope that was just poor word choice and not that the sgt was expecting people to get crushed.

In addition to the arrests, 155 traffic tickets were issued. More than half of the citations were issued to people using fake or fraudulent disabled person placards.
    Those people should be banned for life.

The Police Department’s “Amnesty boxes” were a huge success this year, Marshall said, as they are every year. The boxes are placed at the entrance to the venue, and people can drop things – drugs, alcohol and other substances not allowed in the venue – in them, no questions asked.
    An inventory of the items left would be a fun read I'm sure.

I wondered, too, if this was the first confirmation of the 125k amount. And the article does have a passing reference to the (alleged) phone thief.

Quote Originally Posted by looseccp View Post
    lot of cops waiting at the straightaway of Highway 74 pulling folk over. You drive north hours from San Diego or Mexico, through scenic winecountry of Temecula, down the winding road with San Jacinto mountaintops. Windows roll down and feel the desert heat, light that spliff, ahh freedom, we made it and its going to be a great festval.

(sirens)

5-10 mph over speed limit and you getting pulled over. Was like Xmas for cops. Cocks.
    We took that route but didn't see any cops.

I saw a guy with two rather large bags of marijuana when going through security. There was a security guard and a cop, and they let him go after he surrendered the marijuana. Maybe the cops were nicer this year. I thought the crowd was rather tame during the weekend 1, nothing taze-worthy.

"Two people were arrested on suspicion of grand theft, one of whom made national headlines after allegedly stealing more than 100 cellphones."
    hah, whoops

mid-morning Thurs there were two sets of cars pulled over. Maybe they made quota or something.

coachella staff should let mj through at least given the permissible state of affairs in CA
    2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012: II, 2013: I, 2014: I, 2015: I, 2017: II

The biggest difference Marshall noticed over the weekend was a reduction in minors possessing fake ID’s, he said. This year, 34 people were arrested for fake ID’s. Last year 46 people were arrested on that charge – a 130 percent increase from the year prior.
    No. What? Huh? is 130% increase from 2015 to 2016? Because 46 in 2016 to 34 in 2017 is a 26% decrease. Is this both weekends or just the first? Also, there is literally no quote in that sentence and yet they wrote ", he said." Did anyone proofread this?

UGH, Press-Enterprise!

/rant

Security was relaxed as shit to enter too no pat downs or anything? No need to hide anything just keep it in your pocket. Did some law get passed on pat downs? Went to the fonda on monday for Skepta and they just had metal detectors like coachella did. Just walk through and you're good.
    2014 Wk1 , 2015 Wk2, 2016 Wk1, 2017 Wk2

Quote Originally Posted by M0D3Z View Post
    Would really make Hell a less enjoyable place. I want to be able to see Satan as he tortures me.

I miss their deep cavity searches.

Quote Originally Posted by gazercmh View Post
    I hope that was just poor word choice and not that the sgt was expecting people to get crushed.

Those people should be banned for life.

An inventory of the items left would be a fun read I'm sure.

I wondered, too, if this was the first confirmation of the 125k amount. And the article does have a passing reference to the (alleged) phone thief.

We took that route but didn't see any cops.
    Yes, fuck those people abusing the placards. As someone that a couple years ago couldn't walk 10 feet without oxygen on there was nothing worse than rolling up on someone parking in a space without one. A couple cars may have been accidentally keyed when the driver gave me attitude when confronted. One of my favorite pastimes then was making soccer moms cry at my kids school when they'd park in a spot while they were "just running in to get their kid." All I had to do was explain my story to them and boom. Weak bitches.

hah, whoops
    I know the guy who runs Coachella security and it was a guy on his team that tackled the guy after he was pointed out. Good times.

hwy 74 update: Same cop, who parks in a service entrance on the left in Big Horn, got three this morning. Like going up to a stream and trout are jumping out of the water, easy as pie. I'm sure he been laughin all morn at these kids misery. "woohoo Coachellaaa!" (sirens w a smile) "noooo"

Thanks for the tip looseccp. That's the way my friends and I will be driving in tomorrow.
    2013.1; 2014.1; 2015.1; 2016.1; 2017.2