Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2018 headliners

Default Re: 2018 headliners

Beyonce
    Depeche Mode
    Swedish House Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by crazzz2007 View Post
    Solange? You mean the retarded little sister with no talent who gets by based on being related to Beyonce?
    Im not a fan of Solange whatsoever but, Solange latest LP slays Lemonade.

Quote Originally Posted by lifeofgeoff View Post
    Beyonce
    Depeche Mode
    Swedish House Mafia
    Ultra will get SHM most likely.

I doubt it will be SHM, I bet it will be AIA (Axwel, Ingrosso, and Alesso)
    10' - 11' - 12' W2 - 13' W1 - 14' W1 - 15' W1 - 16' W1 - 17' W1

You're not on the lineup no one wants to see u dj. Stop. Especially if you're going to play Calvin Harris u fuckin knob... - Reeber

RESPECT THE FORMULA - Guedita

Beyonce
    Bruce Springsteen
    Daft Punk

Quote Originally Posted by M0D3Z View Post
    I doubt it will be SHM, I bet it will be AIA (Axwel, Ingrosso, and Alesso)
    They would just brand it as SHM. Again, think (and hope) Ultra would get that over Coachella.

Any chance of The Weeknd playing? would love that.

Quote Originally Posted by craigmcgrouther View Post
    god i hope not.
    RECENT/UPCOMING: 10/14 1975 @ LA Forum, 2/1 Run The Jewels @ Shrine, 2/9 Austra @ El Rey, 2/18 Air & Style, 2/24 Radio Dept @ Fonda, 3/12 Full Moon Party (Thailand), 4/8 Radiohead Seattle, 4/9 Radiohead Portland, 4/11 Radiohead Santa Barbara, 4/14 Coachella Wk1, 4/21 Coachella Wk2, 5/12 PJ Harvey @ Greek, 5/13 Conor Oberst @ Greek

Absolutely, not sure if he would be a headliner though. Him and Beyonce have the same demographic. I could see him being #2 on a different day than Bey.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteIverson View Post
    Absolutely, not sure if he would be a headliner though. Him and Beyonce have the same demographic. I could see him being #2 on a different day than Bey.
    Is this what the board has come to?
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    And to be fair to fikus, violent strangulation is one of his better qualities.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Being dead is literally the only way anyone on the planet could give less of a shit about you. You look like Farrah Fawcett's melted corpse.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteIverson View Post
    lol - doubt it, considering he bailed on Lolla this year when they wanted to bill him #2 overall (after Chance)
    6/22 Anderson East taping . 7/21 Lake Street Dive . 7/23 Animal Collective . 7/31 Beach House . 9/15 Beyoncé & Jay-Z . 9/29 The Decemberists . 10/4 Phoenix . 10/5-10/7 ACL Fest . 10/28 Rüfüs Du Sol

Metallica
    Beyonce
    fleetwood mac

everyone wins.

Plus on another note I really hope this years lineup has more Rock/Alt big names on the second line vs. this year being so Rap and EDM dominant.
    Did you see the size of the crowds at most of the rock shows other than Radiohead, Car Seat Headrest, Bon Iver (yeah, in this year's lineup Bon Iver was a "rock" act) and one or two others - they just keep getting smaller every year.

Rather than hoping for more rock acts, I'm wondering if it's even going to be sustainable going forward to book more than a handful in the way we get a couple Reggea, Latin, Jazz, Soul acts each year presently.

Though part of it was scheduling, even agreeable, younger indie acts with a mostly rock like vibe that played to near full to packed tents three/four years ago like Real Estate and Jagwar Ma were playing to miniscule Swans-sized crowds this time around.

The sizable majority of the millenial generation and those coming up behind them just do not listen to rock, period.

Beyonce
    Kanye West
    Rage Against the Machine
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

Bey for the dance!

Kanye to be taken on an ULTRALIGHT BEAM!!

RATM to BURN DOWN THE FIELDS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rap's the only good music View Post
    The sizable majority of the millenial generation and those coming up behind them just do not listen to rock, period.
    I agree, and I feel like most of the rock acts still in contention for prime festival slots that can actually draw crowds were at least on the rise in 2010-2012, if not already established.

At least stateside, the critical commentary has been more and more skewed toward hip-hop, R&B, pop, and electronic influenced work. And then you have EDM as the party music, ticket seller. I expect we drift more and more in that direction, because that's where critical commentary on music is drifting.

It's not just us...look at FYF. In the top 4 lines (headliners and top 3 sub lines), there's very little new rock. Plenty of legacy rock, but the contemporary acts? Nicolas Jaar, Kehlani, RTJ, Flying Lotus, Little Dragon, Majid Jordan, Frank Ocean, Solange, Paak.

That being said, like others have noted we have a lot from that 2010-2012 camp coming through the circuit next year...St. Vincent, Grizzly Bear, National, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rap's the only good music View Post
    Did you see the size of the crowds at most of the rock shows other than Radiohead, Car Seat Headrest, Bon Iver (yeah, in this year's lineup Bon Iver was a "rock" act) and one or two others - they just keep getting smaller every year.

Rather than hoping for more rock acts, I'm wondering if it's even going to be sustainable going forward to book more than a handful in the way we get a couple Reggea, Latin, Jazz, Soul acts each year presently.

Though part of it was scheduling, even agreeable, younger indie acts with a mostly rock like vibe that played to near full to packed tents three/four years ago like Real Estate and Jagwar Ma were playing to miniscule Swans-sized crowds this time around.

this year was also completely different considering rap was so dominant. Also w1 the XX was packed and anyone who would have played in gagas spot would have had a stupid big turnout considering nothing else was going on then.

DAFT PUNK
    BEYONCE
    CHANCE THE RAPPER

Swedish House Mafia
    NIN/QoTSA
    Beyonce

anyone who would have played in gagas spot would have had a stupid big turnout considering nothing else was going on then.
    wrong.
    There were 6 other acts plus the Do Lab that overlapped with Lady Gaga. However considering the majority of attendees are attending for the instalikes, it is very unlikely they would attend any of the other acts. If you look closely at the set times, there is always one act on that appeals to the mainstream social media whores.
    Coachella 2011, 2013(wk1), 2014(wk1), 2014(wk2), 2015(wk1),

2016(wk1), 2016(wk2)

Quote Originally Posted by svenflauge View Post
    wrong.
    There were 6 other acts plus the Do Lab that overlapped with Lady Gaga. However considering the majority of attendees are attending for the instalikes, it is very unlikely they would attend any of the other acts. If you look closely at the set times, there is always one act on that appeals to the mainstream social media whores.
    The biggest name she was up against was Hot Since 82.

The Strokes/Vampire Weekend
    Beyonce
    Kanye

Subs:Big Sean(I can't believe I even thought this but I feel this is the way this thing is going sadly), LDR, The National

Big Sean?? C'mon haha. What on earth suggests they're going that direction? Maybe if he'd played the fest 2-3 times already and worked his way up...

Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    Big Sean?? C'mon haha. What on earth suggests they're going that direction? Maybe if he'd played the fest 2-3 times already and worked his way up...
    I had to throw something out there other people weren't saying lol. Most of you guys didn't think Future would play two years ago, he has a new album coming a year after most of his competition came out with a project, and this years rap lineup makes me believe it is going that way.

Yeah, after taking a breath, I could maybe see him playing...but not as a #2, given that even Future/Travis were #3's. The #2's have consistently been either acts that developed through the festival (Ellie Goulding, Sia, the Weeknd, Florence) and/or critically acclaimed big indie acts (the xx, Bon Iver, Tame Impala, The Knife). And Future at least has a solid amount of critical acclaim (Travis, not so much).

Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    Yeah, after taking a breath, I could maybe see him playing...but not as a #2, given that even Future/Travis were #3's. The #2's have consistently been either acts that developed through the festival (Ellie Goulding, Sia, the Weeknd, Florence) and/or critically acclaimed big indie acts (the xx, Bon Iver, Tame Impala, The Knife). And Future at least has a solid amount of critical acclaim (Travis, not so much).
    I pretty much agree. With the expansion and even another outdoor stage possible, I would really hope the subs would only be getting bigger in either brand or acclaim.

The litmus test for popular rappers should really be "Does Pitchfork show them love?" Travis and Future are discussed on indie blogs ad nauseum. In terms of rappers that haven't played that are in that same category, Young Thug, Migos, and Chance the Rapper are too. Big Sean has yet to get that type of critical credibility. He's with J. Cole in that category for me, and I don't think either are playing anytime soon (not necessarily just for that reason).

J. Cole is pretty well received by indie media as well though.
    Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    Uhh, Gil Scott-Heron is kinda dead, dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymous96 View Post
    Whoops lol, that's what happens with my piss poor knowledge of rap

Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    J. Cole is pretty well received by indie media as well though.
    god that would be awful.

so are you, but still, life goes on right?
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Smooches. =)
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Shut it down.

Beyonce
    Justin Timberlake
    Chance the Rapper
    2017 W1

Quote Originally Posted by julianmart1nez View Post
    Beyonce