Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Top 5 Weekend 1 Sets

Default Re: Top 5 Weekend 1 Sets

Quote Originally Posted by mikey1313 View Post
    Honorable Mentions:
    - Breakbot (super duper funky, but my group was dumb and I missed a chunk of their set. Probably would have cracked top 5 if it wasn't for that. Don't make my mistake)

Sorry to hear that, but I'm glad you got to at least witness it. I honestly think I had more fun at that set than I did for Daft Punk. Simply incredible. One of my homies had to miss them because his girlfriend wanted to get a good spot for Gaga...I feel so sorry for him
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Spamalot (7/31), HARD (8/1) 2001 Space Odyssey with LA Phil (8/12), Opeth (10/18), TOOL (10/31), Coachella 2016 (WK1), David Gilmour (Wherever I need to go)

For me

1. Ezra Furman - Miniscule crowd early on the outdoor on the hottest day of the weekend. So much energy and personality. Started out flame throwing with three or four adrenalized early career rockers, took on the Coachella power structure with some stage banter, then settled into the more relaxed but lyrically awesome Perpetual Motion People tracks. Knew there was going to be a lot of backing vocals with all the doo wop of his recent work, but didn't expect those backing vocals to play so strong live. Would have been like my six or seventh best set in most past years, but for 2017 this one captured me most. Didn't catch any of Pond so can't speak to that conflict - but definitely give Ezra a strong rec.

2. Preservation Hall Jazz Band - Killing myself for grabbing food/beer in mainstage garden during first half of their set - they were tearing it up. Had I gotten up close and gotten a sharper impression, very likely would have been my number 1.

3. Lady Gaga - Headliner I was least interested in going in, most of her songs not in my wheelhouse, but give credit where credit is do, she's an incredibly talented singer/entertainer who threw everything into her set - from shear showmanship perspective, this was far and away most impressive set of weekend. Only criticism - clueless director of the video screen camera crew, it's a choregraphed song and dance set for lord's sake - wide shots, wide shots, wide shots!

4. Father John Misty - Along with Bon Iver - probably the best sounding set of weekend - worked in three Honeybear songs, spared us Leaving LA. Only downside, completely skipped his trademark banter this time out, though probably makes sense given how dark and misanthropic his new material is.

5. Quitapenas - Dance party that broke out in Sonara early Saturday was my favorite spontaneous moment of festival. If you are only going to see one act in Sonara, I strongly recommend this one - though Twin Peaks and Las Ligas Menores were two other faves.

HMs those two other Senora bands above, plus Hans Zimmer (#6 for me, but get close, not everything on stage is mic'd and show volume dropped off quickly in certain spots around stage, especially to right side farther back by concession stands) Floating Points, Car Seat Headrest (ragged and uneven, but certain moments rocked as hard as any of the fest), Klangstof, Kaleo, Lee Fields, Bon Iver (sounded great, but no where near impact of last Coachella show, mostly because new material so less appealing), Lorde (wasn't going to see her, son talked me into going to stake out close spot for Kendrick, but like many, surprised by strength of this performance), Toots (as another poster pointed out fun - he's up there, not still spry like Jimmy Cliff was back in 2012 or 13, but good vibes), The Avalanches (yes it was a mess as others have said, but I found the energy fairly infectious) & Radiohead (sound problems stole much of their Mojo just as they were picking up steam, but setlist was killer and they were pros about all the setbacks - could see them being best thing all of weekend two).

Biggest Disappointments -

1. Kendrick - no need to eleborate further, most loved this, I just didn't jive with set.

2. King Gizzard And Lizzard Wizard - Look this was a super high energy show that fans will love and I like these guys on album in smaller doses, but lost interest as the monotonous nature of their grooves song to song wore on. Check them out for sure, but don't feel bad about skipping out early. See 15 minutes of this set you've seen the whole thing.

3. Nicholas Jaar - Put me in the camp that after already partaking in most of Bonobo's, DJ Shadow's, Floating Points', Tycho's, and Moderat's relatively low key, primarily instrumental sets, wasn't in the mood for another slow, moody 15 minute build up to first real track. As much about my own set choices/sequencing as any real problems with Jaar's performance - Had he started with Nazareth would probably be singing entirely different tune.

4. Grouplove/Glass Animals/Two Door Cinema Club - My old man, "this is how far we've sunk from the good old days rant" - To think of the prized 5:30 - 7:00 mainstage slot that used to be held down by the crowd energizing likes of Sleater-Kinney (while touring The Woods), The Specials, Franz Ferdinand, TV On The Radio, Gogol Bordello, The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Broken Social Scene, Spoon, Lauryn Hill, Death From Above (even though I admit I didn't care for their set), and The Hives has evolved to this trio of not terrible (well Grouplove is terrible) but bland, milquetoasty, forgetable acts just makes me sad about where popular tastes are at at this specific point in time.
    Last edited by Rap's the only good music; 04-18-2017 at 09:58 AM.

Yes Ezra, talk shit about the festival that you're standing on the stage of, getting paid by. What an ass and also innacurate in those comments.

What'd Ezra say, out of curiosity?

My top 5...

1. Hans Zimmer - everything and more that I could have possibly wanted, the most emotional and energized set of the weekend for me.
    2. Jagwar Ma - huge improvement over their 2014 daytime set, great grooves, tons of space to dance and a good crowd
    3. Stormzy - blew me away, and gifted our group the use of #merky all weekend
    4. Royksopp - absolutely fantastic, so nice to get into the Sahara for a great show. Still bummed to miss Moderat.
    5. Lady Gaga - I'm not a huge fan, but I thought she put on a great show.

Honorable mention: Radiohead, once the sound worked, was great. But boy, those bursts of feedback really fucked me up for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    What'd Ezra say, out of curiosity?

Apparently he's been thinking about it since the lineup dropped https://twitter.com/ezrafurman/statu...01893806768128 . Here's an article about it which doesn't have direct quotes http://www.pe.com/2017/04/16/coachel...ts-during-set/ . From what I remember it was fairly blustery, uninformed political rambling that made him sound rather silly. I'm sure the video is on youtube somewhere.

Ah, yeah. I'm surprised more people didn't say something about that. Mitski, for example, tweeted about it at the time and how much it bothered her (but, y'know, proceeded to sign on for FYF, so she's either a hypocrite or did a bit more research and changed her mind).

Think someone posted about it in the webcast viewing thread. Can try looking back to his day and set time in there if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindq185 View Post

Biggest dissapointment - Nico Jaar was my #1 of the weekend. I knew it had the potential to be experimental, and bringing a group of complete newbies with me did not help my cause, but even I couldn't hang with the 15 minute intro that started it. I imagine if I had stuck it out I likely would've enjoyed myself, but seeing my friends faces I had to make the move to Breakbot dance party over risking another 45 minutes of the dark wizard space vibes. Sigh, maybe next time..
    I know i put jaar at #1 but his intro was bullshit. It sounded like shit and felt like he wanted everyone to leave. If this was a 2 hour set it would have made more sense but wasting 15 min of a 55min set time with screeching white-noise was unnecessary and after 10 minutes even I contemplated leaving. The rest was amazing but overall could have been much better.
    Guedita keeps me sane

Royksopp
    Tycho
    Sofi Tukker
    Bishop Briggs
    Klangstof

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

1. Röyksopp - I was nervous about this being in the Sahara but the crowd was fine. I don't know why it took so long for them to play the festival but I'm glad they finally did. It was worth the wait.

2. Hans Zimmer - Initially I thought it was kind of dumb and weird to book a composer to perform at Coachella, but it worked really well. Not sure how it translated on the webcast, but live it was excellent. I never thought an orchestra would work at Coachella, but it did and it was a lot of fun. Also, his crowd was so much larger than I had anticipated.

3. Kendrick Lamar - Despite the anti-climactic ending, it was a great set and where I was, the crowd had a ton of energy. After the last song though everyone was kinda looking around thinking "that's it?" Especially when he had 10 minutes left before curfew. Highlights for me were definitely Backseat Freestyle and m.A.A.d. city. Both of those had the crowd going crazy. I do wish the crowd knew more of the new album because DNA is the only DAMN. track that got the crowd going.

4. Lady Gaga - I've always been a fan of hers and this was a fun sing-along set. I did think the production would be a little bigger with there being 90 minutes from the end of Bon Iver to the start of her set though, and it seemed like the stage was a little lackluster, especially in comparison to her sets from her previous tours. I did like the setlist she chose though and there were a lot of surprise songs that I didn't expect for a festival crowd. Especially opening with Scheiße.

5. Radiohead - Despite the sound issues in the beginning throwing everything off, this was such a great setlist. After the final sound issue they were seemingly flawless for the rest of the night but it was a real momentum killer having the sound cut out 3 times. Especially when it cut out during Ful Stop which was my favorite track form the new album. Hopefully that'll be fixed for everyone going weekend 2.

Side note: This isn't really related to their performance, but Radiohead felt like the most forgettable headliner this year which is kinda sad to me, because they're one of my favorite bands, but something about them being on the lineup this year just seemed very forgettable. All the hype for Kendrick's new album and Gaga replacing Beyoncé kind of made me forget Radiohead was even playing. Don't know if that was just me

December 16-17 - Day For Night
    January 23 - Marilyn Manson
    January 25 - Sleep
    February 23 - St. Vincent
    April 24 - Queens of the Stone Age
    April 26-28 - Levitation

Lorde
    Show Me The Body
    Swet Shop Boys
    Four Tet/Daphni/Floating Points
    NAO

1. Moderat
    2. Little Dragon
    3. Bicep
    4. Tycho dj set
    5. Monolink

Quote Originally Posted by Lindq185 View Post
    Biggest dissapointment - Nico Jaar was my #1 of the weekend. I knew it had the potential to be experimental, and bringing a group of complete newbies with me did not help my cause, but even I couldn't hang with the 15 minute intro that started it. I imagine if I had stuck it out I likely would've enjoyed myself, but seeing my friends faces I had to make the move to Breakbot dance party over risking another 45 minutes of the dark wizard space vibes. Sigh, maybe next time..
    so in other words it was basically a Darkside set?
    Debbie Deb 2017 sahara headliner pls

1. Floorplan - brought the super fun disco & house vibe. Perfect way to groove in Friday afternoon. Everyone was all smiles and we couldn't stop dancing. Best thing I've ever seen in the Yuma.

2. Jagwar Ma - Psychedelic pop haze, just fantastic, even better than their last appearance. Probably the best set of the weekend. Glad we bailed early on Richie Hawtin who was good in a different way.

3. Breakbot - Left Nicholas Jaar early (I don't get it. Second time I've bailed on him, I just can't hang with the 15 minute intros.) and decided to give Breakbot a try. Holy shit where have these guys been all my life. Most fun I had on Saturday by far.

4. Hans Zimmer - What can be said that hasn't already been said - had no idea what to expect and was ready for whatever. The crowd reaction really made it even better, they ate it up.

5. Justice - Used to think they were over. But they are stronger than ever. Best & most fun set of Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by anonimouse View Post
    so in other words it was basically a Darkside set?
    No - DARKSIDE'S set back a few years was much stronger and way more dynamic than first half of Jaar.

1. the XX: I'm surprised they aren't getting more love here. The new album is their best (or at least more upbeat with Jamie's fingerprints all over it), they sounded tight, they played "Loud Places" one of my favorite songs of last couple years which was somewhat unexpected, and a "remixed" Shelter (not sure if that is a newer thing or old hat but it was great). Such a good time, far and away the best set.

2. Thundercat: going to be honest, if he didn't bring out Michael McDonald and play What a Fool Believes, it might not have made my list.

3. Pond: I feel like they will break out with the new album.

4. Warpaint: I've never given them a fair shake, but it was kinda right place right time. Great evening groove.

5. Nicolas Jaar: I pity the fools who somehow weren't expecting and/or couldn't stand an extended "experimental" "intro." Are you familiar with Nicolas Jaar? (Also it's always fun to watch the attrition and get more space when you're confident the set will "get better." Thundercat had the same kind of thing going on.)

HM: Kendrick - if I was up closer I might have been more wowed, but it was a great set, just too tired to commit to a front of tower S1 type thing that I did for Radiohead and XX.
    Radiohead - probably on the list if not for technical stuff. Also weirdly felt like the 2004 set with the You and Whose Army closeup cam and No Surprises, but I love those songs so all good.
    Swet Shop Boys - only caught the last few songs which I'm bummed about, but they sounded great. And the def poetry jam thing Riz did at the end made my girlfriend tear up.
    FJM - Sounded great, glad he invested in the mini orchestra, played my favorite song of his ("When You're Smiling..."), missed the banter/fucking with the crowd, but like someone else said, he must have realized even he can't be that big of a troll when playing music with such dark themes.
    Last edited by mofomofo; 04-18-2017 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenmixtap3 View Post
    4. Hans Zimmer - What can be said that hasn't already been said - had no idea what to expect and was ready for whatever. The crowd reaction really made it even better, they ate it up.

5. Justice - Used to think they were over. But they are stronger than ever. Best & most fun set of Sunday.
    If Justice was the best and most fun set of Sunday, why is Hans Zimmer listed above them?
    My old account "Mikey1313666" is down for whatever reason.

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

Can someone wake Guedita out of her drug hangover to tell me about Belleville Three and Floorplan?
    "HIGH END RAP MUSIC! GHETTO STADIUM SHIT! THEY AIN'T WANT US AT THE FESTIVALS
    NOW WE WILL RUN THEM!"
    -Kanye West

i personally thought the sound for Floorplan sounded off personally. I'm all for a lot of bass, but it drowned out everything else big time.

Ditto re: bass at Floorplan. I loved, and I mean fucking loved, every Floorplan mix I had heard up until then, but live the sound seemed off, at least for the beginning. We left after awhile.

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

Damn well if it's the same I'll leave for Mac but I hope it's perfect cause his mixes were my favorite discovery
    "HIGH END RAP MUSIC! GHETTO STADIUM SHIT! THEY AIN'T WANT US AT THE FESTIVALS
    NOW WE WILL RUN THEM!"
    -Kanye West

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    2. Hans Zimmer - Initially I thought it was kind of dumb and weird to book a composer to perform at Coachella, but it worked really well. Not sure how it translated on the webcast, but live it was excellent. I never thought an orchestra would work at Coachella, but it did and it was a lot of fun. Also, his crowd was so much larger than I had anticipated.
    That was easily my favorite set to watch via webcast. I probably went a tad overboard in the comment section of my fb post, but I was absolutely enthralled. Especially when he played pieces from the Lion King and Gladiator.
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    speculation strikes again.

1. Lady Gaga
    2. Empire of the Sun
    3. Car Seat Headrest
    4. Two Door Cinema Club
    5. Alison Swing
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    Ditto re: bass at Floorplan. I loved, and I mean fucking loved, every Floorplan mix I had heard up until then, but live the sound seemed off, at least for the beginning. We left after awhile.
    Huh, they must have fixed his sound by the end, because I thought he sounded excellent for the last 30 minutes of his set (which was all that I got to see of it)

yeah, i was only there for the first 30 or so, and then left. Every other set after that I heard in the Yuma sounded great.

Quote Originally Posted by mikey1313 View Post
    If Justice was the best and most fun set of Sunday, why is Hans Zimmer listed above them?
    My list isn't necessarily in order, suppose I should have said that, but didn't think it was that important.

Quote Originally Posted by kenmixtap3 View Post
    My list isn't necessarily in order, suppose I should have said that, but didn't think it was that important.
    hah fair enough.

I was also there for the first 30 minutes, so maybe it was just a beginning thing.

1. Hans Zimmer
    2. Bicep
    3. Bon Iver
    4. Justice
    5. Royksopp

HMs: Maya Jane Coles, QUITAPENAS, Nicolas Jaar, Moderat, Preoccupations.

a little surprised/disappointed no one's mentioned Porter + Madeon. Looked like a great slot for them.