Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Top 5 Weekend 1 Sets

Default Top 5 Weekend 1 Sets

For all you Weekend 1ers, and Weekend 2ers who want to figure out who to see.

1. Justice - It might have been because that was easily the closest I got for any act the whole weekend (3 people away from the rail) but holy shit that was incredible. Just BARELY beating out Hans Zimmer for set of the weekend, that was the perfect dance party to cap off the night before chilling for the last hour or so of Kendrick. That lighting rig is absolutely BONKERS and really helped make the show the awesome spectacle that it was, even though it still would have been a great set without the rig (though definitely not #1). GET CLOSE THOUGH, which isn't super hard if you show up early.

2. Hans Zimmer - Suuuuuper close second place goes to the ridiculously epic Zimmer performance last night. Had a pretty decently sized crowd, but you can still get totally get decently close without it being too much of a hassle. That swelling Dark Knight bit gave me the heebie-jeebies it was so damn good. He's obviously not an act to miss, but I'm sure everyone here on the boards knows that already. I think if Hans was on the Main, with the better sound quality and lighting and all that, he could have probably been #1 on my list, but still, very close second.

3. Toots and the Maytals - Just such a damn fun reggae jam party on the Main stage, with easily one of the smallest crowds of the weekend, but also easily one of the most fun crowds of the weekend as well. I was sort of expecting him to be low energy, and that was absolutely not the case whatsoever. He's still killing it on stage at 74 years old. You gotta see these guys.

4. D.R.A.M. - Wasn't sure how his voice would hold up live for a full set (granted it was on the short side) but MAN this cat can sing. His beats are just so well crafted too. Love the way he blends old and new school together on his tracks. Can't wait til he puts out some new music. He's about to blow the fuck up, just watch.

5. Chicano Batman - The perfect set for just chilling in the grass and zoning the fuck out. Granted it was one of the few times I actually got to do that this year, so that could be partially why I was so into them. Their live sound has gotten much better since the last time I saw them about a year ago in SF.

Honorable Mentions:
    - Breakbot (super duper funky, but my group was dumb and I missed a chunk of their set. Probably would have cracked top 5 if it wasn't for that. Don't make my mistake)
    - Jack Garratt (If you like this guy even at all, fucking see him)
    - DJ Snake (for the Lauryn Hill 3-4 song guest performance, which was one of my highlights of the weekend as I've never seen her before)
    - Floorplan (Only caught the last 30 minutes or so, but SO damn good)
    - TDCC (the first half was a serious Main Stage dance party, though I do have a soft spot for these guys, so there's that)
    Last edited by mikey1313; 04-17-2017 at 11:40 AM.
    My old account "Mikey1313666" is down for whatever reason.

Default Re: Top 5 Weekend 1 Sets

1. Radiohead
    2. Lady Gaga
    3. Future
    4. Glass Animals
    5. Phantogram

Surprised you were at DJ Snake's set Mikey, I watched the first 15 minutes of the set for the seizure-inducing drops on the stream but then he started jumping on the decks and making it toooo much about him so I bailed.
    '11 '12 '13 '14 '15 '16 '17

Quote Originally Posted by JRam25 View Post
    Surprised you were at DJ Snake's set Mikey, I watched the first 15 minutes of the set for the seizure-inducing drops on the stream but then he started jumping on the decks and making it toooo much about him so I bailed.
    hahaha I was definitely not planning on it, and I only saw about 20 minutes worth.

So we were actually waiting for a friend over by the Outdoor stage bathrooms, and we noticed the INSANE drone light show going on above us, and we just couldn't help but stare at that for about 10 straight minutes. Then on our way walking thru the crowd to somewhere else, I heard him introduce Lauryn Hill and I lost my shit. We turned around and happened to be in a pretty good, not insanely crowded spot and watched her little mini guest set. She's so fucking good live, I need to see a full set.

DJ snake's set was messing with my roll. first, the crowd was insane and then second - waaaay too many long pauses or long intros into songs. he was also doing really weirdly timed drops.

also thought it was kinda lame that he brought out migos to do bad and bougie even though Future just did it. though, I will never complain about hearing bad and bougie more than once.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteIverson View Post
    DJ snake's set was messing with my roll. first, the crowd was insane and then second - waaaay too many long pauses or long intros into songs. he was also doing really weirdly timed drops.
    Oh, I have no actual knowledge of how his set actually was, as I really don't give a fuck about DJ Snake. I was literally only there from when Migos came out to when Lauryn Hill got off stage.

I have Top 6 (if force to stick with 5, maybe drop BEN UFO)

This is Why I Love Coachella
    1. New Order, Nicolas Jaar and Royksopp (All full sets including Encore) - Three of my very top acts blew me away expectedly/unexpectedly. I did not come to find some more Coachella MAGIC, they kept finding me.
    Honorable Mentions:
    FS Sofi Tukker, FS QUITAPENAS, FS the xx, Car Seat Headrest, King Gizzard..., FS Radiohead, Warpaint, Moderat ...

Magical YUMA
    4. Solomun and Marcel Dettman and BEN UFO - speaking of MAGIC ... my favorite oasis in Coachella was transformed (again) into Ibiza, Berghain and Fabric. WOW, magic!
    Honorable Mentions: Floorplan, The Belville Three, Maya Jane Coles, Sasha ...
    Last edited by idrive1life; 05-07-2017 at 12:35 PM.

1. Future Islands / Nicolas Jaar
    3. Royksopp
    4. Richie Hawtin
    5. Caveman
    Guedita keeps me sane

Fucking awesome weekend

1. Nicolas Jaar - First time seeing him, jeeeeeezus. 15 minute intro had some people leaving early with very confused looks on their faces haha
    2. Moderat - best set I've seen out of them easily. So tight, probably from touring the show over the last year. Was tough skipping Royksopp, but man, no regrets on the decision
    3. Justice - Just wow, totally redeemed themselves after their last tour being kind of a dud in general.
    4. Hans Zimmer - Goosebumps the whole time. Was really something else.
    5. SURVIVE - My friends and I called this the zombie set, because of the vibe in an empty tent. But really liked it. Didn't really know what to expect going in, but it really rounded out a night with Moderat and Nico. Sucks that they got cut off at the end

Honorable Mention: Radiohead - Thought the powered thru the technical difficulties as well as you can hope a band does given the situation. Not a super fan (suprefan?) so the festival setlist was perfect for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mikey1313 View Post
    hahaha I was definitely not planning on it, and I only saw about 20 minutes worth.

So we were actually waiting for a friend over by the Outdoor stage bathrooms, and we noticed the INSANE drone light show going on above us, and we just couldn't help but stare at that for about 10 straight minutes. Then on our way walking thru the crowd to somewhere else, I heard him introduce Lauryn Hill and I lost my shit. We turned around and happened to be in a pretty good, not insanely crowded spot and watched her little mini guest set. She's so fucking good live, I need to see a full set.
    Ah sweet, so the intel drones did make it. They were in talks to premier those things at Coachella this year, but then chose the super bowl instead.

Quote Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
    Fucking awesome weekend

1. Nicolas Jaar - First time seeing him, jeeeeeezus. 15 minute intro had some people leaving early with very confused looks on their faces haha

5. SURVIVE - My friends and I called this the zombie set, because of the vibe in an empty tent. But really liked it. Didn't really know what to expect going in, but it really rounded out a night with Moderat and Nico. Sucks that they got cut off at the end
    Thanks for good report on both of these. I am looking for alternatives to Snake and Gaga for next Saturday night.
    Coachella '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12 W1, '13 W1&2, '14 W1, '15 W1&2, '16 W1 (maybe '19 W1)

Well not diverting to much from bemerritt here (not surprising as we were at each set together lol). All of these are extremely interchangeable - I thought it was one of my favorite coachella weekends of my six thus far (if not #1).
    1) Nico Jaar: second time seeing him but first time really, truly focused and dialed in. That intro was expected but his ability to bring in the grooviness mixed with the weird is so cool. I think there were a lot of first time jaar'ers there but they seemed to get into it as well. I truly appreciate his talent.
    2) Moderat: 2.5 times seeing them (couldn't hang during the LiB set). Pretty similar to the Fox (Oakland) show besides those two extended remixes/breakdowns - but boy were those fucking great. Lot more of a heavy set than I remembered.
    3) Richie Hawtin: oh Richie, I love you. I didn't know what to expect from a visuals perspective given the hype on this new setup, but thought they were pretty cool/nothing over the top though..maybe im missing something? Anyways, thought he killed it from a sound perspective.
    4) Hans Zimmer: Had tears welling up most of this set lol - just amazed at the talent of Hans but especially his musicians. That cello performance (tina!) was unreal, so much passion and energy. More than anything I thought it could be.
    5) Justice: My 3-4-5 are basically tied. I've only seen Justice DJ sets outside of that 1/2 set at Coachella a few years back, and man that was cool. That light setup really helped make the experience for me, and of course them just bringing the house down. My favorite crowd of the weekend - everyone very respectful of space and just having a good fucking time.
    HM) S U R V I V E, Radiohead, The XX, Four Tet (Palm Springs Air Museum Show).
    Most disappointing) Bon Iver: Justin sounded like he didnt even want to be there. Was expecting it to be loud, but thought it was super tame compared to Beach Goth and Fox Theater.

Quote Originally Posted by wxdude View Post
    I am looking for alternatives to Snake and Gaga for next Saturday night.
    Antartica time?
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorAve View Post
    Careful, while the threats are amusingly clueless, I could probably have this whole board shut down with one phone call.
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    2. Migos- The new Beatles.

Quote Originally Posted by santasutt View Post
    Antartica time?
    Craft. Beer. Barn.
    I have been to concerts. I will go to concerts in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by grichsgang View Post
    Craft. Beer. Barn.
    That's a given after Bon Iver for me. I might though explore some of the stuff afterwards though.
    Coachella '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12 W1, '13 W1&2, '14 W1, '15 W1&2, '16 W1 (maybe '19 W1)

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    Ah sweet, so the intel drones did make it. They were in talks to premier those things at Coachella this year, but then chose the super bowl instead.
    Oh man, they were so fucking cool. I was one of the first people in the area to notice them start up, and 6 different people came up to me saying "what the fuck are you staring......WOAH!" It was such a crazy addition, and I could have stared at that shit for a solid nother 20 minutes.

Moderat
    the xx
    Radiohead (minus sound issues)
    Gaga
    Future Islands

HM: Tycho, Father John Misty, Sampha, Local Natives, Car Seat Headrest, Kehlani
    7/21 Lake Street Dive . 7/23 Animal Collective . 7/31 Beach House . 9/15 Beyoncé & Jay-Z . 9/29 The Decemberists . 10/4 Phoenix . 10/5-10/7 ACL Fest . 10/28 Rüfüs Du Sol

1. Royksopp!
    2. Zipper Club
    3. Little Dragon
    4. Sofi Tukker
    5. Lady Gaga
    Quote Originally Posted by footixy View Post
    Girl, you can pound your vagina so hard in those the Sahara will feel a new kind of drop...
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    ... Keep fucking that chicken.
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    All you ladybois want inside this pink slip

I mean you're kinda teched in the head if you didn't catch Röyksopp.
    Girl, you can pound your vagina so hard in those the Sahara will feel a new kind of drop...

Top 5:

1. Justice - Upset of the weekend, always enjoyed them but one of the 3 previous shows I attended they literally pressed play, crossed their arms and smoked cigs for 90 minutes. Such a comeback and great mixing of the later era songs with the classics.
    2. Gaga
    3. Royskopp
    4. Jagwar Ma - virtually empty tent that my friends and I got to dance our asses off in for the entire duration. None of my group had heard them before and within 15 minutes they were all jumping up and down losing their minds.
    5. Lorde - surprised by this one too, as I decided last minute to go on a whim and was damn impressed. She could benefit from a few less "coachella you're amazing" stops, but the enthusiasm of her and her crowd is undeniable. It helps that she can write hooky pop songs for days - green light was downright euphoric.

Biggest dissapointment - Nico Jaar was my #1 of the weekend. I knew it had the potential to be experimental, and bringing a group of complete newbies with me did not help my cause, but even I couldn't hang with the 15 minute intro that started it. I imagine if I had stuck it out I likely would've enjoyed myself, but seeing my friends faces I had to make the move to Breakbot dance party over risking another 45 minutes of the dark wizard space vibes. Sigh, maybe next time..

Oh and we only made it to a seated beer garden viewing but the XX appeared to be SLAYING their main stage slot. I've seen them several times before but never heard them approach a show like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindq185 View Post
    5. Lorde - surprised by this one too, as I decided last minute to go on a whim and was damn impressed. She could benefit from a few less "coachella you're amazing" stops, but the enthusiasm of her and her crowd is undeniable. It helps that she can write hooky pop songs for days - green light was downright euphoric.

Biggest dissapointment - Nico Jaar was my #1 of the weekend. I knew it had the potential to be experimental, and bringing a group of complete newbies with me did not help my cause, but even I couldn't hang with the 15 minute intro that started it. I imagine if I had stuck it out I likely would've enjoyed myself, but seeing my friends faces I had to make the move to Breakbot dance party over risking another 45 minutes of the dark wizard space vibes. Sigh, maybe next time..
    Agree whole-heartedly with both these statements.

1. Radiohead
    2. Lady Gaga
    3. Future
    4. Glass Animals
    5. Phantogram
    Even with the sound issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Lindq185 View Post
    I could see it being hard to stick it out when you brought people there. But man, if you left at the 15 minute mark, you were soooo close.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueBus View Post
    Even with the sound issues?
    ya man, I've waited my whole life to see Radiohead so this was sort of a given. I'm not huge on the new album, so I knew it would start sort of slow - once they fixed the sound issues it was banger after banger for an hour straight. My wife and I also made some life long friends during that show.

Radiohead wasn't the best show, Gaga was. But Radiohead was the most special and enjoyable experience I had all weekend.

ya man, I've waited my whole life to see Radiohead so this was sort of a given. I'm not huge on the new album, so I knew it would start sort of slow - once they fixed the sound issues it was banger after banger for an hour straight. My wife and I also made some life long friends during that show.

Radiohead wasn't the best show, Gaga was. But Radiohead was the most special and enjoyable experience I had all weekend.
    I can dig that. Kinda the same for me last year with GnR. Not the best performance of the weekend, but someone I always wanted to see live so had to put near the top of my list.

1. Breakbot
    2. DJ Shadow
    3. P-Funk
    4. French Kiwi Juice
    5. Antarctica Dome

Did anyone else see Breakbot or FKJ????
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Spamalot (7/31), HARD (8/1) 2001 Space Odyssey with LA Phil (8/12), Opeth (10/18), TOOL (10/31), Coachella 2016 (WK1), David Gilmour (Wherever I need to go)

Saturday night 9:30-11 is pretty bleak for me, I'm curious to hear how FKJ was

They were fucking fantastic! I have been listening to him for a couple years now. I was so excited to see him at CRSSD in San Diego, but his set fucking Sucked! IT was a DJ set and the sound was terrible, so I almost didn't even bother checking him out at the Do- LAb at Coachella....

Well, turns out he brought his whole fucking band with him and played a live set, and it sounded GREAT! Such a fucking treat. And played all my favs.
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Spamalot (7/31), HARD (8/1) 2001 Space Odyssey with LA Phil (8/12), Opeth (10/18), TOOL (10/31), Coachella 2016 (WK1), David Gilmour (Wherever I need to go)

1. Hans Zimmer
    2. Justice
    3. The XX
    4. Radiohead (Sound issues really hindered their set, but Creep)
    5. Father John Misty/Future Islands

HM: Royksopp (too many fuckheads crowding for Martin G), Lady Gaga (was trashed but still decided to watch her entire set and had a blast)

Worst: Crystal Castles.... MY GOD, how bad are they live. 0 for 3 now.
    10' - 11' - 12' W2 - 13' W1 - 14' W1 - 15' W1 - 16' W1 - 17' W1

You're not on the lineup no one wants to see u dj. Stop. Especially if you're going to play Calvin Harris u fuckin knob... - Reeber

RESPECT THE FORMULA - Guedita