Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Sorry Weekend 2ers - Coachella 2017 Is a Dud

Default Re: Sorry Weekend 2ers - Coachella 2017 Is a Dud

DJ snake was one of the most crowded shows I've seen at Coachella.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteIverson View Post
    This was my 6th year, my first time will always be my favorite - but this year was one of my favorite ever even though I only was able to do Friday and Saturday.

It's all about adapting, being open minded, and remembering that you are somewhere where the majority of people around the world would kill to be.

my first year I was taking mushrooms and other drugs and trying to get front row to every show until they dragged me out. this year, I went with my wife for the first time - we laid in the shade during some shows, some shows we got close, some we stayed back to have room to dance, we altered our schedule to avoid shitty situations.

I will agree that there weren't as many smaller acts that there may have been in the past, but the big names absolutely delivered and exceeded my expectations. I saw some of the best live shows I've ever seen last weekend.

everyone has different taste, everyone has a different vibe. I think when you find yourself complaining more than enjoying the festival - it's time to take a breather or move onto another festival.
    I think each individual's 1st Coachella is more often than not their favorite . So in someway, it's probably the one everyone thinks is their second best that might have been the actual strongest given each individual's tastes - for me 2011.

There were a few incredibly crowded sets, like Snake. A few sets that I was pretty surprised how crowded they were, like Phantogram. But the vast majority of sets were very easy to get a good spot at - Avalanches, Royksopp, Jagwar Ma, Future Islands, Car Seat Headrest. We showed up for Radiohead at the end of the xx and wound up very close. It helps that I don't care about getting close for most sets anymore, but the crowding really only felt like an issue to me on Friday, and primarily was an issue around the Terrace.

Do we have an official attendance number yet?

Interesting, detailed, and thoughtful response, IlliniQ/Rap's the only...

I wonder just how much the shitty situation of your son getting his phone pickpocketed contributed to your overall displeasure. Not gainsaying any of your specific critiques otherwise, but when shit like that happens it's hard for just about anyone to maintain an upbeat attitude.

I'm the one who said they were older than you, as a response to WhiteIverson telling you that you're finally too old for the fest, time to move on. You're 51, I'm more than a decade older. You said yourself that you've been "aging out of the fest... the last few years", but even when you started attending you were already significantly older than the vast majority at Coachella.

So what does that mean? Without getting into some long boring discourse let me put it this way - of course we all "age out" of many things as we grow older, some due to the physical constraints of aging, some due to changing/loss of interest. I'll assume that, though you probably can't move as well as you could in your 20s, "aging out" of Coachella for you is not because it's become too difficult physically. And despite all the bullshit every year about how great Coachella used to be back in some golden age but now it sucks, musically and otherwise, it's very much the same overall festival year in and year out and any ranking of one year over another is wholly subjective (for instance, first time for almost all of us was "the best"). So, finally getting too old for Coachella - diminishing returns and all that as you say - likely means you're no longer as interested in a giant 3-4 day party primarily aimed at twentysomethings as you once were. I get it, I'm sure I'll be there myself at some point, hopefully not for a while yet though.

But I won't blame the entire fest for being a "dud" some particular year just because I don't get into it anymore or personally had a less than optimal time there.
    Last edited by cricketprudence; 04-18-2017 at 10:26 AM.

I too think my overall taste in music might make me too old for the festival one day... we'll see how it goes. On to the next Desert Trip!

Also... get the hell off my damn lawn!

I think a lot of it is due to the changing musical landscape. EDM is the ticket seller, but hip-hop and R&B are taking up a huge percentage of the cultural landscape when it comes to music.

I mean, a lot of the most talked about and highly reviewed albums from last year/early this year were Beyonce, Kanye, Kendrick (x2), Solange, Chance, A Tribe Called Quest, Migos, Frank Ocean, Blood Orange, Paak, Future, RTJ, Young Thug.

It seemed like Coachella was able to snag a lot of the most talked about/highest reviewed indie and rock records...Car Seat Headrest, Radiohead, Bon Iver, Mitski...but it seemed like the cultural conversation last year was much more about R&B and hip-hop. There just didn't seem to be a lot of large-scale, relevant rock and indie projects to choose from for the lineup for the top lines.

I was reading Chuck Klosterman's "But What If We're Wrong" by the pool before heading in each day, and he was talking about the shift of the musical landscape toward hip-hop and EDM and how the discussion reminds him of punk (hip-hop) vs. disco (EDM) in the 1970s, and how teenagers just don't aspire to be guitar players anymore, and that concept is sort of dead. It's hardly a revolutionary argument but it was an interesting read before attending a festival that is shifting toward EDM and hip-hop from rock more and more every year. And I don't even think that's just Coachella...we're all gushing over FYF, but the top lines there are mostly legacy rock acts (and legacy hip-hop too, of course), and then current hip-hop, R&B, and electronic names.

I just don't know if we're in an era where we're going to consistently see new rock acts with the drawing power to play the biggest slots at this festival. Now, with that being said St. Vincent, Grizzly Bear, The National, Spoon, War on Drugs, etc will all be very much in play for next year so maybe that changes a bit.

Good post, Cricket. I'm about WI's age and all I can think when I read the post is that it doesn't happen to me. It hasn't come close yet. Whenever work gets stressful (like every day) I just envision myself walking the fields, going from stage to stage in anticipation of the next thing. My older son and I bond over this more than anything else and my younger son is joining us for his first this year, so this one should be special too. That's a long way of saying that WI, I think you should come back at least once more to make sure it's out of your system and that this wasn't just an off year.
    I have been to concerts. I will go to concerts in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    I always love the first "Coachella was crap" thread that comes every Monday morning lol
    haha.

Promise, I will never do this if and when am going to lose Yuma too. I will go out quietly and quit while I am winning.

I was never worried for my life lol or safety but I am so happy to finally reclaim Sahara and had a coveted front row spot for Royskopp without any resistance from the Martin Garrix campers or Tony Larez crowd.* I did not touch or push a single soul getting there. They were so friendly to me after I made a declaration that I am there for Royskopp and would leave once they are done then explained to them who are they etc & that I will be doing some kind of weird (aka IDM hehe) dance moves etc. lol

* I was really just aiming a good spot for Royskopp! I did the same timing for Daft Punk in 2006 when I did the same strategic move - came in during the midset of that crappy act that played before DP.

I think there are many potential second and third line rock acts as ever, but 1) it's harder for new rock acts to elevate to that scale, and 2) we're almost out of 2nd line reunion options, because Coachella's already done them all, which means 3) the ones that do play the second line are increasingly going to be repeats, because they've all played already. So even if we get those acts, people on the boards will feel disappointed.

That said, what's popular is constantly evolving as various styles and sounds get oversaturated. I really do think there's room for some rock band to emerge and become massive again in the next few years.

Lots of thoughtful reflection going on in this thread. It's been a pleasure to read. Many different opinions about this year and what's to come. I'm excited to go this weekend, but also happy for it to be my potentially last one. 2004 - 2017. Not a bad run.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

This will be my 5th in a row and for my 40th bday, I'm doing the Safari tent.

After this, I'm not pre-purchasing passes anymore and will take my chances when the lineup comes out to see if I'll go again. I'm kinda burnt out on it and want to do other Festivals (Glastonbury, ACL, Sasquatch, etc).

I figure if I don't go again for a few years (or at all), at least I went out in style, but I'm looking for something new- not that I don't love Coachella, I just need some variety!

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    I think there are many potential second and third line rock acts as ever, but 1) it's harder for new rock acts to elevate to that scale, and 2) we're almost out of 2nd line reunion options, because Coachella's already done them all, which means 3) the ones that do play the second line are increasingly going to be repeats, because they've all played already. So even if we get those acts, people on the boards will feel disappointed.

That said, what's popular is constantly evolving as various styles and sounds get oversaturated. I really do think there's room for some rock band to emerge and become massive again in the next few years.
    I honestly believe that's Tame Impala.
    "HIGH END RAP MUSIC! GHETTO STADIUM SHIT! THEY AIN'T WANT US AT THE FESTIVALS
    NOW WE WILL RUN THEM!"
    -Some Guy

My Experience:

Felt like it was a never ending walk from Terrace/Sahara/Main Stage Beer garden to Outdoor and vice versa. Just felt like I was in vegas whenever I was walking somewhere because the Beasts were so big they seemed closer than they were.

Felt it was WAY more crowded during the day and didn't even look at the crowd at night.

Sahara tent was fucked for Royksopp due to every E tard youngster going for Garrix. Still and fantastic show, though.

I did notice a lot more gay guys at the festival getting way too sexual and way to high for their own good. This is not some anti gay statement, just something I noticed and mentioned to friends. It just seemed a bit too much, like they weren't their for the music as much as it was to be fucked up and grind each other with hands down the pants.

Staying up with the "Too fucked up for your own good" discussion my god how many young girls were just stumbling around chewing away at their own face. People really need to slow down or find better friends to look out for them while taking whatever they are on.

I finally understood the anger of youngsters talking through quiet sets. Hans Zimmer was magical and during specific parts it was just drowned out by chit chat all around. People asking "who is this again?" or "What other songs does he play?" and my favorite "When should we start going to Lorde?" Have some common courtesy for the people around you trying to enjoy the show.

Loved the expanded beer areas. the one in the middle of the field by the Gobi was WAY bigger than anticipated.

Main/Outdoor/Mojave sound bleed is pretty bad towards the back of each stage. If you get to them late and someone really loud is playing at the other stage, you will hear it. fuck, I was camping in Lot 7 and could hear Kendrick, Warpaint, DJ Snake and the Sahara whenever I was there.

The Art was cool, except the weird sexual playdoh garden at the main stage. Didn't get it. The house tree thing was awesome day and night, probably best art this year.

Bummed I couldn't watch outdoor from a beer garden. But, whatever.

Overall this year wasn't my favorite, but the line up kinda had that going for me before I reached the festival. Still saw some awesome acts, but definitely miss the excitement and the thrill of running from stage to stage trying to catch so many artists.

6.5/10 from me.
    10' - 11' - 12' W2 - 13' W1 - 14' W1 - 15' W1 - 16' W1 - 17' W1

You're not on the lineup no one wants to see u dj. Stop. Especially if you're going to play Calvin Harris u fuckin knob... - Reeber

RESPECT THE FORMULA - Guedita

I honestly believe that's Tame Impala.
    Could be, but I wonder if they're going to get stuck at sub-headliner level, a la Bon Iver, the xx, the National, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs (I think), etc. Even Arctic Monkeys I would argue may only be a subheadliner right now. Phoenix was the last time they really took a chance elevating an indie act to headliner, and Coachella's seemed more cautious since then.

W2ers, don't fret. The fest was not a dud at all, it wasn't any more crowded than the last few years, the art was better than last year by far, Antarctic, Sonora and drones were cool. Just prepare to walk more. I never spent more than one minute in an entry line. Walked right into Yuma.

My one beef - Radiohead's multiple sound issues were completely unacceptable.
    7/21 Lake Street Dive . 7/23 Animal Collective . 7/31 Beach House . 9/15 Beyoncé & Jay-Z . 9/29 The Decemberists . 10/4 Phoenix . 10/5-10/7 ACL Fest . 10/28 Rüfüs Du Sol

Arctic Monkeys would 100% not be a Coachella headliner, maybe ever.

Man, the discussion in this thread is equally insightful and agonizing!

Quote Originally Posted by M0D3Z View Post
    I finally understood the anger of youngsters talking through quiet sets. Hans Zimmer was magical and during specific parts it was just drowned out by chit chat all around. People asking "who is this again?" or "What other songs does he play?" and my favorite "When should we start going to Lorde?" Have some common courtesy for the people around you trying to enjoy the show.
    After watching the awesome webcast stream, Hans Zimmer is now one of my most anticipated acts for this weekend. I am planning to get as close as possible to the front of the Outdoor Theater stage on the east side with hopes that I can avoid being around these young douche types and that it was just a W1 phenomena. I've though been to enough recent Coachellas to not have high expectations in that regard. If anyone needs to chat during this set, hang out in the back or the margins of the audience; otherwise, STFU!
    Coachella '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12 W1, '13 W1&2, '14 W1, '15 W1&2, '16 W1 (maybe '19 W1)

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    It seemed like Coachella was able to snag a lot of the most talked about/highest reviewed indie and rock records...Car Seat Headrest, Radiohead, Bon Iver, Mitski...but it seemed like the cultural conversation last year was much more about R&B and hip-hop. There just didn't seem to be a lot of large-scale, relevant rock and indie projects to choose from for the lineup for the top lines.

I was reading Chuck Klosterman's "But What If We're Wrong" by the pool before heading in each day, and he was talking about the shift of the musical landscape toward hip-hop and EDM and how the discussion reminds him of punk (hip-hop) vs. disco (EDM) in the 1970s, and how teenagers just don't aspire to be guitar players anymore, and that concept is sort of dead. It's hardly a revolutionary argument but it was an interesting read before attending a festival that is shifting toward EDM and hip-hop from rock more and more every year. And I don't even think that's just Coachella...we're all gushing over FYF, but the top lines there are mostly legacy rock acts (and legacy hip-hop too, of course), and then current hip-hop, R&B, and electronic names.

I just don't know if we're in an era where we're going to consistently see new rock acts with the drawing power to play the biggest slots at this festival. Now, with that being said St. Vincent, Grizzly Bear, The National, Spoon, War on Drugs, etc will all be very much in play for next year so maybe that changes a bit.
    I agree with a lot of this. I will say, however, that a major booking flaw -- and what made it easy for me to pass on this year -- were all of the repeat, book-by-numbers stuff that happened with the rock/indie parts of the very top of the lineup. Radiohead, The xx, FJM, Mac DeMarco, Bon Iver, The Head and the Heart, Two Door Cinema Club, New Order, Future Islands, Grouplove, etc., etc, have all played once or even twice between 2012 and the present. So really, there are two overlapping issues -- one is rock's declining slice of both cultural relevance and mainstream popularity, and the second is Coachella 2017's top line bookings of rock artists that have already played the festival, often very recently. Coachella can't control the former issue, that's going to be up to rock artists to perform better in terms of both art and commerce. But it can do better and start moving beyond the list of artists and agents that Tollett has grown comfortable working with, particularly on the top of the lines. I get that they like to "graduate" artists up the lineup, but two of the top subs were merely repeating their respective status from 2012 and 2013.

I agree that the stuff in the undercards was pretty decent, though I don't know that stuff like Car Seat Headrest or Mitski particularly distinguishes Coachella from what anyone else has going on. And the Sonoran is a good step towards preserving a showcase for up-and-coming rock at the festival, and something I look forward to seeing myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by tessalasset View Post
    Arctic Monkeys would 100% not be a Coachella headliner, maybe ever.
    That was my thought, exactly. They'll never be bigger than they were in 2007 when they played at like 3pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    I agree with a lot of this. I will say, however, that a major booking flaw -- and what made it easy for me to pass on this year -- were all of the repeat, book-by-numbers stuff that happened with the rock/indie parts of the very top of the lineup.
    I totally get/agree with this, and I think braundiggity pre-emptively countered this pretty well...what could they have booked but didn't? To me, the most obvious omissions for second/third liners that either haven't played, or haven't played when they were huge, were all in the hip-hop/R&B genres this year. I think it's partially luck, partially because indie and rock are stalling in popularity, and also partially because if you have been for 8+ years or whatever, you'll have seen most of the regulars.

Take Bastille, Capital Cities, EOTS, and Little Dragon, for example. That all looks like repeats to me. But somebody coming for their third Coachella hasn't had that chance yet to see them. And then The XX, Justice, New Order, Bon Iver, once again yawn...been there, done that in 2012/2013...but somebody could be coming for their fourth, or even fifth (!) Coachella and not had the chance to see those acts at Coachella yet. And so at some point it doesn't make sense to not book a still largely relevant act on a successful album cycle just because a minority of the fest has seen them at Coachella before.

And this isn't anybody's fault, really. They aren't good or bad for booking these bands.

I think you know the festival may have run its course for people when they start saying things like "We'd need to see Jamiroquai, or Fugazi, or [insert other highly reclusive band here] for us to come back." It's like, GV can bend over backwards to appease that one person and have not many people show up to the show, or they can make the assumption that your average attendee comes to 1-3 Coachellas and so if it's been three years but the band is on a successful album cycle and selling out shows, then that's a good addition for that particular lineup.

And I totally understand that that's where Coachella got their credibility in the first place, but booking a one weekend 65,000 person show on that strategy is different than booking two weekends of 125,000. It seems like they're taking that spirit more to FYF.

And lastly, in terms of reunion acts as an obvious way to book the second lines if the same indie/rock bands are touring...a lot of people here seem to be in their 30s and 40s (and occasionally older), and so it makes sense that their reunion/legacy acts cue from the 1980s and 1990s when they were in high school. The reunions from that era were lacking, but at the same time those reunions draw peanuts and maybe GV thinks it's better to reunite 2000s era acts because those are the 20-something legacy acts. Replacements and Ride drew crickets, whereas Gucci Mane, Postal Service, Jurassic 5, Brand New, and Justice drew giant crowds.

I like how you think.

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

I'm glad Travelfan saves me the keystrokes
    "HIGH END RAP MUSIC! GHETTO STADIUM SHIT! THEY AIN'T WANT US AT THE FESTIVALS
    NOW WE WILL RUN THEM!"
    -Some Guy

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    I totally get/agree with this, and I think braundiggity pre-emptively countered this pretty well...what could they have booked but didn't? To me, the most obvious omissions for second/third liners that either haven't played, or haven't played when they were huge, were all in the hip-hop/R&B genres this year. I think it's partially luck, partially because indie and rock are stalling in popularity, and also partially because if you have been for 8+ years or whatever, you'll have seen most of the regulars.
    Right, but I didn't go back 8+ years, or impose a theoretical "oh, you can do better." I pointed out the inarguable fact that everything even vaguely "rock" on the top three lines of had already played in the last four to five years. That's a conscious decision because it was easy and profitable to do so. I don't expect everything to be radically re-drawn every year, but when every act has already played the festival before (and recently), much more is going on than "oh, guess it was a bad touring cycle, what could they have done?" They simply chose to be entirely safe and predictable in the rock bookings.

103 wpm!

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Right, but I didn't go back 8+ years, or impose a theoretical "oh, you can do better." I pointed out the inarguable fact that everything even vaguely "rock" on the top three lines of had already played in the last four to five years. That's a conscious decision because it was easy and profitable to do so. I don't expect everything to be radically re-drawn every year, but when every act has already played the festival before (and recently), much more is going on than "oh, guess it was a bad touring cycle, what could they have done?" They simply chose to be entirely safe and predictable in the rock bookings.
    I don't disagree with you either. I think the days of taking risks on multiple subheadliners a year are over...unfortunately. Seems like they are shifting toward statement headliners and rarity in the undercard (and even then, far less than usual), and using their second lines to move the tickets.

Out of curiosity, who do you think they should book out of the rock genre that's big enough to demand that kind of audience? (Miroir Noir... ps what's your name? I feel weird still addressing you by your handle).

You don't know how many times I've though this hah
    My old account "Mikey1313666" is down for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by tessalasset View Post
    Out of curiosity, who do you think they should book out of the rock genre that's big enough to demand that kind of audience? (Miroir Noir... ps what's your name? I feel weird still addressing you by your handle).
    I'll preface this by pointing out that even recent "ugh Coachella sucks" era Coachella has managed to do what I am advocating: simply booking a few upper tier rock/alternative/indie bands that haven't played the festival in recent years. That's all. I don't expect a Husker Du reunion or a Kate Bush performance. I wish that could be what the festival still aspired to do, but I understand the reasons why it's not.

But in that spirit of reasonable expectations, here are a few suggestions:

The Ryan Adams or Chris Stapleton sets in recent years? They were great! Book Jason Isbell.

We're trotting out Radiohead again to play their warhorses? Okay, cool. Wilco still exists and they haven't played in a decade.

The War on Drugs getting a primetime showcase on the big stage in 2015? Terrific! Why the fuck can't we get the same thing for Japandroids?

A vintage '80s new wave band? Well we had New Order play 4 years ago, so why don't we try Tears for Fears this time?

Even on the lower lines. You all liked Car Seat Headrest? Yeah so did I. But The Hotelier, Cymbals Eat Guitars, Pinegrove, and Joyce Manor all made equally great or better albums in 2016.

This isn't hard stuff.

(I'm Mitch by the way, Tessa)

PT hire this guy.

Honestly, a few decent ideas ended up here.

Goldenvoice still wants my money, they'd just prefer that I spend it in Pasadena.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M0D3Z View Post
    My Experience:

Felt like it was a never ending walk from Terrace/Sahara/Main Stage Beer garden to Outdoor and vice versa. Just felt like I was in vegas whenever I was walking somewhere because the Beasts were so big they seemed closer than they were.

Felt it was WAY more crowded during the day and didn't even look at the crowd at night.

Sahara tent was fucked for Royksopp due to every E tard youngster going for Garrix. Still and fantastic show, though.

I did notice a lot more gay guys at the festival getting way too sexual and way to high for their own good. This is not some anti gay statement, just something I noticed and mentioned to friends. It just seemed a bit too much, like they weren't their for the music as much as it was to be fucked up and grind each other with hands down the pants.

Staying up with the "Too fucked up for your own good" discussion my god how many young girls were just stumbling around chewing away at their own face. People really need to slow down or find better friends to look out for them while taking whatever they are on.

Loved the expanded beer areas. the one in the middle of the field by the Gobi was WAY bigger than anticipated.

Main/Outdoor/Mojave sound bleed is pretty bad towards the back of each stage. If you get to them late and someone really loud is playing at the other stage, you will hear it. fuck, I was camping in Lot 7 and could hear Kendrick, Warpaint, DJ Snake and the Sahara whenever I was there.

The Art was cool, except the weird sexual playdoh garden at the main stage. Didn't get it. The house tree thing was awesome day and night, probably best art this year.

Bummed I couldn't watch outdoor from a beer garden. But, whatever.

Overall this year wasn't my favorite, but the line up kinda had that going for me before I reached the festival. Still saw some awesome acts, but definitely miss the excitement and the thrill of running from stage to stage trying to catch so many artists.

6.5/10 from me.
    No offense but this is literally what I've heard since 2002.
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.