Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Sorry Weekend 2ers - Coachella 2017 Is a Dud

Default Re: Sorry Weekend 2ers - Coachella 2017 Is a Dud

Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    With the grounds expansion I heard you can no longer watch outdoor theatre sets from the beer garden
    Is that true ?
    I am going to W2 but I'm pretty sure this is true and if so, it's a fucking travesty.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretAgentX-9 View Post
    Skipped Coachella for FYF last year. Never again. Walking on concrete my feet were dead by day 1. A lack of atmosphere also a big factor. Maybe if I was a local, but I won't be coming from out of state again until they move it and make it campable.
    Definitely is much more palpable as a local. I don't know if I'd fly in for FYF. Part of the reason I love it is I can hop on the train at the end of the night and be in my bed in 45 minutes. I can't compare the fest on a whole to Coachella; Coachella will always win. But I sure as hell can compare the bookings, and FYF killed it this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretAgentX-9 View Post
    Skipped Coachella for FYF last year. Never again. Walking on concrete my feet were dead by day 1. A lack of atmosphere also a big factor. Maybe if I was a local, but I won't be coming from out of state again until they move it and make it campable.
    So never again. Lame excuse, get better shoes.

Dang. Well, I guess I'll just skip the Safari tent experience this year because you said so...

On second thought, thank sweet zombie jesus that we all have different tastes in music / what constitutes a good time, eh?

I'm sorry to hear that Coachella isn't really your kind of thing (but kinda wondering how one fails to have on the whole a decent time there), maybe try some other festivals perhaps?
    Last edited by lungshadow; 04-17-2017 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by enginedown View Post
    I am going to W2 but I'm pretty sure this is true and if so, it's a fucking travesty.
    Can confirm - can't watch any of the outdoor from the beer garden. That said, I really enjoyed the expanded main stage beer garden and enjoyed myself during the entirety of several sets of there against the fence.

Quote Originally Posted by enginedown View Post
    one of my friends who went weekend 1 confirmed that although the beer gardens is still in between main/outdoor and you can see artists playing, it's further away and not as cool as in previous years . I forgot what he said about the sound quality :/

We hear the same crap every year.

Too crowded - you obviously spend too much time at the commercial and EDM (read; shit) artists and you need to expand your horizons. Half my group complained last year about the same thing because they couldn't get to Zhu, meanwhile I was air guitaring the shit out of guns n roses pretty close to the stage before zipping across to Dubfire where there was also enough room to get inside and decently close.

Not enough water re fill stations - just budget $20 a day for buying water, if you can't afford to buy water, you can't afford Coachella.

Porta-potties smell bad - der its fucking 100 degrees and they are full of shit, what do you expect.
    Coachella 2011, 2013(wk1), 2014(wk1), 2014(wk2), 2015(wk1),

2016(wk1), 2016(wk2)

It's going to be in 100's weekend 2. Drink lots of water! Don't be a dead dud.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniQ View Post
    I'll update w/ far more detail tonight but general gist is Coachella 2017 - while not awful, and not the total clusterfuck of 2017, just doesn't have much of that magic of past years.

Biggest problem, for some one like me who goes gates open to gates closed every day every year is the before 4pm acts this year, again despite some clear exceptions, are no way up to par of all previous years. Of bands i caught early hours, Pres Hall Jazz Band was easily the best, followed by Ezra Furman, Klangstof, Kaleo, Floating Points, Quitapenas, Lee Fields.

Toots, King Gizzard, Car Seat Headrest, preoccuppations, Devendra, arkells, Whitney, atomics decent, not great. Mitski sucked. Rest where just very bland and forgettable.

Not One past 4 act blew my mind, cant believe im saying this but Gaga was best Headliner, Radiohead might be great next week but after all sound snafus they werent week one. And Kendrick is a serious, serious disappointment. Not Drake bad, but in the ball park. Dude's brilliant and an amazing rapper, but hes an album artist - he has no live personalit or charisma and that becomes painfully apparent as one works thru his set.

Of evenings best bets FJM best of Friday night but not as good as last time, Gaga best Saturday, Hans Zimmer best of Sunday but get to that set 15 minutes early.

Expansion a mix of good and bad - Sound bleed reduced but increased distances between stages really affect how you navigate - much harder too work in lots of partials. Sonora tent kinda cool, but sound in there Hollywood Palladium bad, and acts are very hit and miss. Skip Guided By Voices - Dude's two-thirds of way to Sly Stone. Could barely stand week 1 was so drunk.
    1. Do you know anything about Guided by Voices live performances? Bob getting drunk and sloppy is like, um, their thing. They were great on Friday, Bob handing out beers to the crowd cracked me up and it was a great set.

2. Kendrick a serious, serious disappointment? What were you expecting, him to personal give everyone an orgasm?

3. Mitski sucked? Again, what were your expectations? That was a very solid set for her current live capabilities.

4. Sonora acts hit and miss? They're mostly young punk bands, what did you think they were going to be, Bruce Springsteen?

I'm saying this in the nicest way possible - take off next year. You obviously either went into the weekend with terribly high expectations, or went in close minded knowing - or wanting - to make this be your opinion to justify sounding cool on the message boards.

Quote Originally Posted by silver06 View Post
    1. Do you know anything about Guided by Voices live performances? Bob getting drunk and sloppy is like, um, their thing. They were great on Friday, Bob handing out beers to the crowd cracked me up and it was a great set.

2. Kendrick a serious, serious disappointment? What were you expecting, him to personal give everyone an orgasm?
    1. GBV now on my must see list, thankyou for this.
    2. Lol exactly, typical rap performance, some bloke with an ego the size of the universe up on stage dribbling into a mic - not even a live band to back him.
    Coachella 2011, 2013(wk1), 2014(wk1), 2014(wk2), 2015(wk1),

2016(wk1), 2016(wk2)

Of course it's all subjective, but I'm sorry to say that I was also disappointed by Coachella 2017. The best acts I saw this year were just pretty good, nothing really memorable or unique. I had fun so I won't call it "a dud," but I'm definitely not buying a wristband for 2018 without seeing the lineup first; I've been going since 2003, so that's not something I say lightly.

And yes, it's true that there's no view of the outdoor stage from the beer garden. Sort of annoying.

Outside of Royksopp (and a few other early-day sets), the Sahara tent was an absolute abomination all weekend long. Like, GV should be ashamed of what has become of that stage. And this is coming from someone that is still relatively young and understands what the demographic changes have meant for the festival.

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisurl View Post
    one of my friends who went weekend 1 confirmed that although the beer gardens is still in between main/outdoor and you can see artists playing, it's further away and not as cool as in previous years . I forgot what he said about the sound quality :/
    Pic for reference. The area where the Outdoor is now used to be guest/artist RV lot, video village, and the police command center. Going from there towards mojave and gobi was formerly beverage supply, catering, and then the golf cart storage lot aka the boneyard. That paved road you now cross tongdt to the outdoor and mojave/gobi used to be the production road behind the stages. Used to be dirt and especially brutal back there at night with all the trucks and carts zipping around. It was a godsend when they paved it a few years ago.

Last edited by JustSteve; 04-17-2017 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    It's going to be in 100's weekend 2. Drink lots of water! Don't be a dead dud.
    Even better is pedialyte. They have single serve powder packs in the baby aisle. Drink one before going in and one before bed for an extra kick of hydration. Need more than just water in that kinda heat with that kind of activity. Hangover helper, too.

Quote Originally Posted by svenflauge View Post
    1. GBV now on my must see list, thankyou for this.
    2. Lol exactly, typical rap performance, some bloke with an ego the size of the universe up on stage dribbling into a mic - not even a live band to back him.
    Kendrick had a live band backing him.

It's not a GBV show discussion until someone says "The singer was wasted, they sucked" and someone else says "The singer was wasted, they were great."

Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    If you have decent taste in music you typically don't have to deal with crowding issues
    *ding ding ding*

Go fist yourself, bitch.
    Quote Originally Posted by footixy View Post
    Girl, you can pound your vagina so hard in those the Sahara will feel a new kind of drop...
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    ... Keep fucking that chicken.
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    All you ladybois want inside this pink slip

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniQ View Post
    Of bands i caught early hours, Pres Hall Jazz Band was easily the best, followed by Ezra Furman, Klangstof, Kaleo, Floating Points, Quitapenas, Lee Fields.
    While the rest of your review seems like a subjective downer, I'm wondering how Floating Points' set was during the day time. I've seen them at night twice and feel like it's almost necessary. Did the Mojave have a curtain behind it like the Sahara last year?

That photo is a fantastic view of the size increase. Wish there was a photo facing the tents.
    anything could happen

Quote Originally Posted by lungshadow View Post
    Dang. Well, I guess I'll just skip the Safari tent experience this year because you said so...

On second thought, thank sweet zombie jesus that we all have different tastes in music / what constitutes a good time, eh?

I'm sorry to hear that Coachella isn't really your kind of thing (but kinda wondering how one fails to have on the whole a decent time there), maybe try some other festivals perhaps?
    haha
    2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012: II, 2013: I, 2014: I, 2015: I, 2017: II

As a W2'er I'll be keeping an open mind of course, but I already know it's probably not going to be one of my favorite years just based on the lineup not being very great imo. Still sure I'll have a good time, but expectations are tempered. Expecting the over-crowding to be annoying at first but oh well... what can you do.

Regarding the Outdoor... is it safe to say that they were willing to sacrifice the inability to see it from the Beer Gardens in exchange for less bleed-over from the Main? If this is the case, I'm not sure I'd take that trade although I can understand why they did it.
    Last edited by TheBlueBus; 04-18-2017 at 05:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tessalasset View Post
    I watched a bunch of bands on the livestream on Sunday afternoon and they didn't look packed at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    If you have decent taste in music you typically don't have to deal with crowding issues
    Quote Originally Posted by GolfWang View Post
    *ding ding ding*
    Last night Cara told me it was "way more crowded this year" but she still had a blast.
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    speculation strikes again.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchyslick88 View Post
    Can confirm - can't watch any of the outdoor from the beer garden. That said, I really enjoyed the expanded main stage beer garden and enjoyed myself during the entirety of several sets of there against the fence.
    What an awful change

Quote Originally Posted by kvnty View Post
    Go fist yourself, bitch.
    Where have you been hiding?
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Okay, since I started this flame, I'll at least man up enough to come back an face the firing squad a second time try to respond to some of your impressively reasonable and well thought out counters - even though I still feel quite strongly, despite many mitigating factors, that of the 10 consecutive Coachella's I've attended, this one, on a purely musical/performance level, ranks last.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteIverson View Post
    coachella is not a dud.

you are finally too old for it.

time to move on.
    Probably guilty as charged.

There is no doubt this is part of the issue, someone here responded they were older than me, not sure if true, I'm 51, and despite being an obsessive music lover who stays on top of all the top reviewed releases even in my advanced age, I've been clearly aging out of the fest and feeling an increaing sense of diminishing returns at Coachella the last few years. This is not lost on me. I had actually planned to make last year my last Coachella, didn't buy presale, but had promised my teenage Daughter that if Beyonce was announced as a headliner we'd go back.

To that I will add the additional negative going in facets that 1. I thought the 2016 album year, which accounted for much of the music we heard this last weekend, was possibly the worst collectively in over a decade. 2. I do not like the of-the-moment trends in hip-hop beat production & 3. my son was one of the Friday victims of the Sahara Tent pick pockets (It wasn't just the guy they caught, there was a whole team working that tent Friday night), and dealing with the repeated trips to lost and found, calls with the police station (the call that came during Drunk Drivers/Killer Whales was my personal fav), and having to square him away with a new phone before he hit his midday Monday LAX flight back to college was a serious buzz kill that pulled me out of a lot of moments.

But even with all that going on, I still feel something was missing this year - so let me put this another way to you guys - who among you who've attended more than three times can honestly say this was your favorite year based purely on the musical performances? I'm sure there are a few, seems fans who gravitate most to Justice/Moderat/Nic Jaar type acts loved this year, but my guess is overall, not many.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeoley View Post
    No, and it's not even close. Kendrick at least put some thought and different arrangements on his set. His live band was on point and for the most part he played his bangers. Definitely a questionable encore choice, but you can't compare the two. I think you've forgotten just how bad Drake was.
    First, this is a fantastic, succinct counter. And you are right, Kendrick put way more thought into his show, from the production, to the RZA inspired Kung-Fu movie interludes, and as negative as I trashed him - King Kunta killed. But I still think he fell way below the mark of the Jay-Z/Snoop & Dre/Kanye sets of years past.

I hated him bringing out Schoolboy, Future, and Travis Scott to redo songs they had already performed in their own sets (an artistic laziness issue that actually ran across many hip-hop/DJ sets the entire weekend). That just rubbed me the wrong way.

Second - as much as I love his flow and thoughtfulness - the Dude's never been an elite beat maker, and along those lines his setlist left out some of his strongest arguments against that claim - Blacker The Berry, I. Get that he's probably played those songs to death, and just dropped a new album, but for me at least, those songs would have really helped liven things up because...

Third - He really is a bit of a wet blanket/blank slate as a performer...and this was my biggest issue with his set. Kendrick is just a quiet guy who has a lot to say but doesn't project much personality and it was an issue in his show.

Quote Originally Posted by silver06 View Post

Fair enough. Felt more sorry for him at the time than enjoying it.

No, As I just said above, didn't love the set list, thought the show was lower key than hope for, and mostly was bummed at just how little live personality he possesses.

3. Mitski sucked? Again, what were your expectations? That was a very solid set for her current live capabilities.

Fair enough if you want to look at her that way. I don't, to me she's clearly angling to play in the PJ Harvey, Torres, EMA, Chelsea Wolfe ballpark and falls way short of all those performers - so yeah, she sucked.

4. Sonora acts hit and miss? They're mostly young punk bands, what did you think they were going to be, Bruce Springsteen?

Of course not, but a slightly cleaner sound system in the tent would have a least given some of these acts more of a fighting chance to make a better impression. I get that it's a punk tent but the mix at most of the shows I caught in there was so muddy with vocals beyond buried.

I'm saying this in the nicest way possible - take off next year. You obviously either went into the weekend with terribly high expectations - Well of course on one level, who doesn't, but overall no, but based on past experiences I do expect to hit one or two evening sets that knock me out, and a couple great early sets that surprise the shit out of me - didn't happen this year - or went in close minded knowing - or wanting - to make this be your opinion to justify sounding cool on the message boards. - No, clearly went in with not the best mindset this year but if I had loved stuff I'd be praising it to the roof as I have in year's past. Could care less about sounding cool - again I go back to who out there that's been to many thought this was the best year yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karnifexlol View Post
    While the rest of your review seems like a subjective downer, I'm wondering how Floating Points' set was during the day time. I've seen them at night twice and feel like it's almost necessary. Did the Mojave have a curtain behind it like the Sahara last year?
    I hadn't seen before, didn't quite sweep me up as much as I'd hoped given Eleania was fav electronic release last year, but this was still one of my fav sets of weekend, lack of light show didn't bother me much at all.
    Last edited by Rap's the only good music; 04-18-2017 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rap's the only good music View Post
    Okay, since I started this flame, I'll at least man up enough to come back an face the firing squad a second time try to respond to some of your impressively reasonable and well thought out counters - even though I still feel quite strongly, despite many mitigating factors, that of the 10 consecutive Coachella's I've attended, this one, on a purely musical/performance level, ranks last.

Probably guilty as charged.

There is no doubt this is part of the issue, someone here responded they were older than me, not sure if true, I'm 51, and despite being an obsessive music lover who stays on top of all the top reviewed releases even in my advanced age, I've been clearly aging out of the fest and feeling an increaing sense of diminishing returns at Coachella the last few years. This is not lost on me. I had actually planned to make last year my last Coachella, didn't buy presale, but had promised my teenage Daughter that if Beyonce was announced as a headliner we'd go back.

To that I will add the additional negative going in facets that 1. I thought the 2016 album year, which accounted for much of the music we heard this last weekend, was possibly the worst collectively in over a decade. 2. I do not like the of-the-moment trends in hip-hop beat production & 3. my son was one of the Friday victims of the Sahara Tent pick pockets (It wasn't just the guy they caught, there was a whole team working that tent Friday night), and dealing with the repeated trips to lost and found, calls with the police station (the call that came during Drunk Drivers/Killer Whales was my personal fav), and having to square him away with a new phone before he hit his midday Monday LAX flight back to college was a serious buzz kill that pulled me out of a lot of moments.

But even with all that going on, I still feel something was missing this year - so let me put this another way to you guys - who among you who've attended more than three times can honestly say this was your favorite year based purely on the musical performances? I'm sure there are a few, seems fans who gravitate most to Justice/Moderat/Nic Jaar type acts loved this year, but my guess is overall, not many.
    This was my 6th year, my first time will always be my favorite - but this year was one of my favorite ever even though I only was able to do Friday and Saturday.

It's all about adapting, being open minded, and remembering that you are somewhere where the majority of people around the world would kill to be.

my first year I was taking mushrooms and other drugs and trying to get front row to every show until they dragged me out. this year, I went with my wife for the first time - we laid in the shade during some shows, some shows we got close, some we stayed back to have room to dance, we altered our schedule to avoid shitty situations.

I will agree that there weren't as many smaller acts that there may have been in the past, but the big names absolutely delivered and exceeded my expectations. I saw some of the best live shows I've ever seen last weekend.

everyone has different taste, everyone has a different vibe. I think when you find yourself complaining more than enjoying the festival - it's time to take a breather or move onto another festival.

This year was my 13th and while I can't say it was musically my favorite overall (the bar is so high for that), I still saw more than enough fantastic performances to make it worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    Last night Cara told me it was "way more crowded this year" but she still had a blast.
    It wasn't more crowded at a lot of the sets (all of the smaller bands, etc) I was there for, just definitely much more crowded in the terrace/general area.

I didn't notice any glaring sound issues in the Sonora. Robert Hood some how muddled the bass for his set in the Yuma, so that was disappointing, but it sounded fine for Alison + Belleville.

9/6: The War on Drugs, Land of Talk @ The Paramount

The only place it truly seemed more crowded was the terrace/lobby, especially as people were coming in for the day. I actually felt the crowds were more spacious than ever before when I was at the shows, beer gardens, and walking the fields. Though part of this is due to the fact that there's a new "secret passageway" for VIP that takes you directly from the Gobi to the Sahara, so we never had to walk through the Sahara portion of the crowd. Was really helpful for when we left Royksopp.