Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sorry Weekend 2ers - Coachella 2017 Is a Dud

Default Sorry Weekend 2ers - Coachella 2017 Is a Dud

I'll update w/ far more detail tonight but general gist is Coachella 2017 - while not awful, and not the total clusterfuck of 2017, just doesn't have much of that magic of past years.

Biggest problem, for some one like me who goes gates open to gates closed every day every year is the before 4pm acts this year, again despite some clear exceptions, are no way up to par of all previous years. Of bands i caught early hours, Pres Hall Jazz Band was easily the best, followed by Ezra Furman, Klangstof, Kaleo, Floating Points, Quitapenas, Lee Fields.

Toots, King Gizzard, Car Seat Headrest, preoccuppations, Devendra, arkells, Whitney, atomics decent, not great. Mitski sucked. Rest where just very bland and forgettable.

Not One past 4 act blew my mind, cant believe im saying this but Gaga was best Headliner, Radiohead might be great next week but after all sound snafus they werent week one. And Kendrick is a serious, serious disappointment. Not Drake bad, but in the ball park. Dude's brilliant and an amazing rapper, but hes an album artist - he has no live personalit or charisma and that becomes painfully apparent as one works thru his set.

Of evenings best bets FJM best of Friday night but not as good as last time, Gaga best Saturday, Hans Zimmer best of Sunday but get to that set 15 minutes early.

Expansion a mix of good and bad - Sound bleed reduced but increased distances between stages really affect how you navigate - much harder too work in lots of partials. Sonora tent kinda cool, but sound in there Hollywood Palladium bad, and acts are very hit and miss. Skip Guided By Voices - Dude's two-thirds of way to Sly Stone. Could barely stand week 1 was so drunk.
    Radiohead - The Xx - Father John Misty - Bonobo - DJ Shadow - Guided By Voices - Preservation Hall Jazz Band - King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - The Interrupters - Klangstof

Beyonce - Bon Iver - Nicholas Jarr - Tycho - Four Tet - The Avalanches - Banks & Steelz - Car Seat Headrest - Mitski - Floating Points

Kendrick Lamar - New Order - Future Islands - Hans Zimmer - Toots & The Maytals - Devendra Banhart - Lee Fields & The Expresions - Whitney - Preoccupations - Hinds - Ezra Furman - Pond

Default Re: Sorry Weekend 2ers - Coachella 2017 Is a Dud

lol kendricks live stream looked pretty good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewski27 View Post
    Wouldn't it be hilarious if Daft Punk were to play, but at the end, they take of their helmets and it was Justice all along? And they're all like "We are Juusteeeece!"

Mitski sucked? That's depressing.
    I miss talking to TomAz.

We all do. I live in the same city as him (unless he relocated) and rumor has it that at 3:15am if you listen closely and its really really quiet you can hear him telling you to go fuck yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniQ View Post
    I'll update w/ far more detail tonight but general gist is Coachella 2017 - while not awful, and not the total clusterfuck of 2017, just doesn't have much of that magic of past years.

Biggest problem, for some one like me who goes gates open to gates closed every day every year is the before 4pm acts this year, again despite some clear exceptions, are no way up to par of all previous years. Of bands i caught early hours, Pres Hall Jazz Band was easily the best, followed by Ezra Furman, Klangstof, Kaleo, Floating Points, Quitapenas, Lee Fields.

Toots, King Gizzard, Car Seat Headrest, preoccuppations, Devendra, arkells, Whitney, atomics decent, not great. Mitski sucked. Rest where just very bland and forgettable.

Not One past 4 act blew my mind, cant believe im saying this but Gaga was best Headliner, Radiohead might be great next week but after all sound snafus they werent week one. And Kendrick is a serious, serious disappointment. Not Drake bad, but in the ball park. Dude's brilliant and an amazing rapper, but hes an album artist - he has no live personalit or charisma and that becomes painfully apparent as one works thru his set.

Of evenings best bets FJM best of Friday night but not as good as last time, Gaga best Saturday, Hans Zimmer best of Sunday but get to that set 15 minutes early.

Expansion a mix of good and bad - Sound bleed reduced but increased distances between stages really affect how you navigate - much harder too work in lots of partials. Sonora tent kinda cool, but sound in there Hollywood Palladium bad, and acts are very hit and miss. Skip Guided By Voices - Dude's two-thirds of way to Sly Stone. Could barely stand week 1 was so drunk.
    So your personal preferences aside, everything sounds fine....

And I did not watch any livestreams because I'm trying to keep some magic for this coming weekend, but I'm surprised that you hated kendrick so much. I'm really looking forward to that set.
    I miss talking to TomAz.

We all do. I live in the same city as him (unless he relocated) and rumor has it that at 3:15am if you listen closely and its really really quiet you can hear him telling you to go fuck yourself.

I get that taste is subjective and all that, but seriously cannot comprehend the idea that Kendrick's show was a dud. That was one of my favorite headlining performances at Coachella in a very long time. I thought he killed it. The new album sounded great live.

With the exception on DNA, I'm not feeling the new Kendrick album. I can't see how people really like that kind of production but hey, whatever.

Disagree. Will say that there isn't a strong Sunday closer for my tastes, which is the biggest bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniQ View Post
    Not Drake bad, but in the ball park.
    No, and it's not even close. Kendrick at least put some thought and different arrangements on his set. His live band was on point and for the most part he played his bangers. Definitely a questionable encore choice, but you can't compare the two. I think you've forgotten just how bad Drake was.

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

I always love the first "Coachella was crap" thread that comes every Monday morning lol
    "HIGH END RAP MUSIC! GHETTO STADIUM SHIT! THEY AIN'T WANT US AT THE FESTIVALS
    NOW WE WILL RUN THEM!"
    -Some Guy

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    I always love the first "Coachella was crap" thread that comes every Monday morning lol
    This.
    anything could happen

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    <3.

Yeah get out of here with that Kendrick shit. He was on it last night. I had my expectations built up to a ridiculous amount so he didn't hit that, but I think week 2 is gonna be even better. Production-wise and crowd-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

I miss the likes of Prince, Depeche Mode, Japandroids, Motorhead, Buzzcocks, and Goldfrapp. There are so many things about Coachella that will never return, and it's kind of sad. I miss the kinetic art (the art is so sterile now). I have never heard so many people say they felt like cattle as they did this year. It's all about bigger and making more money. On a positive note, I am looking forward to FYF - as it seems a bit like Coachella of old. I have never been to FYF, so I am just projecting. The lineup is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

I agree about the art (granted, I haven't seen it in person yet). The Dr. Seuss sex toys look like a fun photo opp tho. And yeah, FYF takes the sting off of it a lot. Definitely not sad that this is probably like 90% sure my final Coachella. If Beyonce had played this year it'd be 100%.

Ya FYF is definitely more musically lined up to our tastes but never forget that it takes place in a parking lot in downtown LA.
    anything could happen

Less rare acts, more douches parading around with bandanas on their face all weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    I have never heard so many people say they felt like cattle as they did this year. It's all about bigger and making more money.
    This is what I'm most concerned about. I was reading some anecdotal accounts from mainstream press sources over the weekend that mentioned it felt more crowded than the past few years even with the added space to the festival grounds. Is this everywhere or just the usual clog points like around the Sahara (which I try to avoid) and is it just during certain parts of the day? The crowds on the webcast streams didn't look too bad before the late afternoon.

On a positive note, I am looking forward to FYF - as it seems a bit like Coachella of old. I have never been to FYF, so I am just projecting. The lineup is awesome.
    I'm planning to travel out to CA again in July to hit up FYF for the first time as well, work permitting.
    Coachella '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12 W1, '13 W1&2, '14 W1, '15 W1&2, '16 W1 (maybe '19 W1)

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    I have never heard so many people say they felt like cattle as they did this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by wxdude View Post
    This is what I'm most concerned about. I was reading some anecdotal accounts from mainstream press sources over the weekend that mentioned it felt more crowded than the past few years even with the added space to the festival grounds. Is this everywhere or just the usual clog points like around the Sahara (which I try to avoid) and is it just during certain parts of the day? The crowds on the webcast streams didn't look too bad before the late afternoon.
    Yeah, I was getting some rare FOMO this weekend and toyed with the idea of returning if the lineup suited my taste (as unlikely as that might be), but then I began watching live footage of the various crowds/stages and was like "NOPE."
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    speculation strikes again.

I watched a bunch of bands on the livestream on Sunday afternoon and they didn't look packed at all.

With the grounds expansion I heard you can no longer watch outdoor theatre sets from the beer garden
    Is that true ?

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tessalasset View Post
    I watched a bunch of bands on the livestream on Sunday afternoon and they didn't look packed at all.
    Same other than the Sahara and a couple early Mojave sets. Uzi's looked crazy.
    "HIGH END RAP MUSIC! GHETTO STADIUM SHIT! THEY AIN'T WANT US AT THE FESTIVALS
    NOW WE WILL RUN THEM!"
    -Some Guy

coachella is not a dud.

you are finally too old for it.

time to move on.

Thanks for the heads up. I guess I'll cancel my trip.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

If you have decent taste in music you typically don't have to deal with crowding issues

Quote Originally Posted by arya. View Post
    Ya FYF is definitely more musically lined up to our tastes but never forget that it takes place in a parking lot in downtown LA.
    This.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    If you have decent taste in music you typically don't have to deal with crowding issues
    Mostly, sure, I guess. Bit concerned about Royksopp in the Sahara with the hordes of children returning to the tent for Garrix, but more concerned about getting through whatever crowds at night as I run from set to set to now-further-spaced tents/stages. Friday I'm attempting 15 acts, starting with Dudu Tassa at noon; Sat & Sun less jammed schedule, but nights still look pretty stacked.

Not believing the "dud" critique. I'm sure I'll have a blast W2 in the 100F heat, gate open to gate closed, crashing in the campgrounds, and I bet dollars to donuts (there's a clue) I'm a helluva lot older than IlliniQ, so fuck that excuse for not having fun at Coachella.

Skipped Coachella for FYF last year. Never again. Walking on concrete my feet were dead by day 1. A lack of atmosphere also a big factor. Maybe if I was a local, but I won't be coming from out of state again until they move it and make it campable.

Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    True facts. I didn't notice much difference in crowds, and having the Sahara and DoLab tucked out of the way was AMAZING.
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2),15,16

Quote Originally Posted by cricketprudence View Post
    Mostly, sure, I guess. Bit concerned about Royksopp in the Sahara with the hordes of children returning to the tent for Garrix, but more concerned about getting through whatever crowds at night as I run from set to set to now-further-spaced tents/stages. Friday I'm attempting 15 acts, starting with Dudu Tassa at noon; Sat & Sun less jammed schedule, but nights still look pretty stacked.

Not believing the "dud" critique. I'm sure I'll have a blast W2 in the 100F heat, gate open to gate closed, crashing in the campgrounds, and I bet dollars to donuts (there's a clue) I'm a helluva lot older than IlliniQ, so fuck that excuse for not having fun at Coachella.
    You are a boss!