Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: BigChella

Default Re: BigChella

Slay.

Hans' was the set I found the most challenging to be really close or get a good spot or be around with a non-chatty crowd coming in a few minutes before it started. However, the gap or spaces between Outdoor and Mojave was fairly wide open. Droves of people are coming in or going out for both sets of Hans and TL. I was underwhelmed or bored (partly because I just experienced the unforgettable etc Game of Thrones: Live Musical Concert/Experience). I did Hans>Tove Lo>Hans>Tove Lo>Hans>Tove Lo ... never done anything like this before (Thought it had be done in this BigChella hehe) / could not remember doing something like this between 2 sets. My heart is thanking me for the last few days now for all the epic walking I did at Coachella - my resting BPM has improved per the AW lol. Caught both of their special guests performances and few select songs that I wanted to hear or be part of in their entireties at both sets.
    Last edited by idrive1life; 04-21-2017 at 04:23 AM.

This was my first Coachella so a bit hard to gauge based on previous years, but really only had issues with crowds on Sunday. It seems like Goldenvoice has taken criticism to heart and made changes for the next year after an affected year in previous years, so hopefully they follow suit.

I'm not sure there's any feasible way for GV to make changes to address the crowd problem next year - they can't like, not let people spend money in the terrace.

The things that would incentivize crowds to not hoard all in the general terrace area at a music festival are already at Coachella: a bunch of stages with music playing. It's not really their fault people would rather sit in the heat than go see bands.
    Last edited by guedita; 04-21-2017 at 08:01 AM.

9/6: The War on Drugs, Land of Talk @ The Paramount

True that. Again, I really only noticed the crowd issue on Sunday when going from Porteon to Hans Zimmer. Otherwise, didn't notice any issues with crowds like the people on Reddit complained about nonstop. I've faced worse crowd experiences at Bonnaroo, Ultra and Lollapalooza.

old school

Other than noticing just more bodies of people, did anyone actually have issues with lines? I can't remember waiting longer than 3-4 people in a line all weekend for food, drinks, or bathrooms - only refilling my Camelbak. There seemed to be a ton of people there but it didn't cause me any physical issues - and I think both Disclosure and Ice Cube felt more crowded than any set I saw at all this year. So while I agree there was a ton of people on the terrace, I don't think it really affected me in a real negative way.

The one thing I haven't seen anyone mention yet is cell phone service. I have Verizon - years past I've been fine til like sundown then my texts and calls start getting tough to communicate. This year it happened almost immediately, after my group split for King Gizzard / Sampha at 4 PM Friday, we had a tough time communicating to get back already.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by eagleskyline View Post
    True that. Again, I really only noticed the crowd issue on Sunday when going from Porteon to Hans Zimmer. Otherwise, didn't notice any issues with crowds like the people on Reddit complained about nonstop. I've faced worse crowd experiences at Bonnaroo, Ultra and Lollapalooza.
    Yeah, maybe I'm just non-fazed by the crowds this year cuz I went to Lolla for the first time last year and it seemed like every couple of hours got caught in a sea of salmon swimming upstream almost to the point of needing to just stop walking for a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by silver06 View Post
    Other than noticing just more bodies of people, did anyone actually have issues with lines? I can't remember waiting longer than 3-4 people in a line all weekend for food, drinks, or bathrooms - only refilling my Camelbak. There seemed to be a ton of people there but it didn't cause me any physical issues - and I think both Disclosure and Ice Cube felt more crowded than any set I saw at all this year. So while I agree there was a ton of people on the terrace, I don't think it really affected me in a real negative way.

The one thing I haven't seen anyone mention yet is cell phone service. I have Verizon - years past I've been fine til like sundown then my texts and calls start getting tough to communicate. This year it happened almost immediately, after my group split for King Gizzard / Sampha at 4 PM Friday, we had a tough time communicating to get back already.
    Only long wait in lines I experienced were for mediocre Jamaican food and the merch tent on Friday. Otherwise, everything was super smooth and quick.

Yeah, maybe I'm just non-fazed by the crowds this year cuz I went to Lolla for the first time last year and it seemed like every couple of hours got caught in a sea of salmon swimming upstream almost to the point of needing to just stop walking for a few minutes.
    Oh god yeah, I barely went to all the stages at Lolla but it was insanely packed regardless. Isn't Grant Park a larger venue as well?

When we walked in on Friday and saw how crowded the terrace was, I had a sinking feeling the whole weekend would be a clusterfuck. Then we walked over to King Gizzard and saw how empty the fields were and I felt a lot better. Aside from the terrace being crowded on the early part of each day, things never felt overly crowded. I was able to get to the soundboard or closer for pretty much every set, never waited more than a couple minutes for food, beer or water, and never waited at all for a bathroom.

Just to clarify, what is the terrace?

I might want to add, I enjoyed the boardwalk in the terrace area, felt it opened it up a bit more. Also, enjoyed seeing food back in the main stage area. I don't recall there being food vendors on that back wall since 2010. But I could just have bad memory.
    10' - 11' - 12' W2 - 13' W1 - 14' W1 - 15' W1 - 16' W1 - 17' W1

You're not on the lineup no one wants to see u dj. Stop. Especially if you're going to play Calvin Harris u fuckin knob... - Reeber

RESPECT THE FORMULA - Guedita

I think the only solution to the terrace problem is a second craft beer area

Agreed.

Or alternatively, find a new spot for the Do-Lab, and open up a big GA normal beer garden. If you want RedBulls, vodka shots, a Heineken, and a nice port-a-potty to do coke in, which is what the Sahara crowd wants instead of a rare saison, then I think you'd find the new beer garden to take away from the madness of the craft beer one.

I suspect that this will all be (somewhat) moot because I do think they'll eventually fully expand into Lot 8 and reconfigure some things around. There's no way the current Sahara as we know it can continue to exist. GV has to know this. It needs to be put somewhere else, get bigger, or a second similarly sized venue added to split up the crowd.

Seriously let me just mention again that I was stuck behind 6 fucking idiots at the rare beer booth asking for shots on Sunday.

old school

Would there be some type of rule against them putting a beer stand in the back of the Sonora? Even if they do some lame pen off of the back 1/3 of the tent? A couple beers during GBV would have been ideal

They should've just gone in the cantina. Shots of Chocolate Rain would be your best bet at the rare beer booth.

You're not on the lineup no one wants to see u dj. Stop. Especially if you're going to play Calvin Harris u fuckin knob... - Reeber

Quote Originally Posted by M0D3Z View Post
    They should've just gone in the cantina. Shots of Chocolate Rain would be your best bet at the rare beer booth.
    Yes, I mentioned the Catina to them.

"So wait what? You don't have shots? Why can't we get shots? What? What's THAT? Shots? SHOTS?"

I just imagine this from the bar tenders...

Quote Originally Posted by slinkybutt View Post
    I think the only solution to the terrace problem is a second craft beer area
    And then a third.

Would there be some type of rule against them putting a beer stand in the back of the Sonora? Even if they do some lame pen off of the back 1/3 of the tent? A couple beers during GBV would have been ideal
    I'd actually love if they had a 21+ tent, and the Sonora felt perfect. They could have those acts do an additional set elsewhere at another point in the weekend. It won't happen, but WHAT IF.

Guys, Rene's whole shtick is and always has been to throw all ages punk/rock shows. WHAT IF is nice but it's definitely extra never happening at the Sonora.

Ah, didn't know that. Cool! Also, never happening regardless.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Guys, Rene's whole shtick is and always has been to throw all ages punk/rock shows. WHAT IF is nice but it's definitely extra never happening at the Sonora.
    How much time did you spend in the Sonora? I'm interested to hear from someone who spent more time in there than me. I only saw one set in there (Guided by Voices) and the tent was like 25% full and I think I was the youngest person in there at 28 lol. I'm hoping they are still happy enough with it to bring it back!

I was in there for parts of four sets and it was never more than half full.

The extra revenue a beer stand would bring might trump one guy's shtick...

Do all festivals in California have to have beer gardens if alcohol is served?
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    speculation strikes again.

No, Stagecoach and Desert Trip don't and Outside Lands doesn't have beer gardens

Weird. Nothing like watching a band with a beer/cocktail in hand.

Seems like you maybe misinterpreted -- those fests let you drink anywhere. But as has been discussed before, I personally actually prefer Coachella's beer garden restrictions, much as I sometimes like having a beer in my hand for a show.

I meant it's weird that Coachella has those restrictions (especially since GV puts on Stagecoach).
    Last edited by Gribbz; 04-21-2017 at 02:59 PM.