Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: BigChella

old school

Default Re: BigChella

Couple random thoughts:

-Had absolutely zero difficulty getting as good of a spot as I did for sets as any other year. Radiohead was super easy to get up to the S1 pole by the soundboard. Gaga and Kendrick I got close to the soundboard by getting there 5-7 mins before set time. Multiple friends were able to meet up with me during each headliners so it was not very dense either. the XX was fairly crowded, but again nothing terrible. Most tent sets were comically easy - got up super close for Warpaint, Roisin Murphy, etc. Hans Zimmer was maybe the only set where I had a tad bit of difficulty getting super close.

-Distance between stages didn't really impact me TBH. It's a bit further out but I experienced little sound bleed issues and if you plan your schedule out well for breaks and limit the Gobi to Main to Gobi marches, you should be fine. Outdoor beer garden hearing was a bummer. Also, the Gobi beer garden I sometimes had difficulty hearing the act in the Gobi due to loud noises on the Outdoor which was a bummer; on paper seeing - and hearing - the act in the Gobi would make it a lot better. Finally, the Hacienda Del Toro long fenced VIP entrance was stupid; it was confusing for VIP pass holders, and was a road to nowhere for non-VIP holders. Also a bad look that the Hacienda VIP wasn't ready for Friday - I wasn't there Friday but talked to one of the guys managing the section and he said they missed their opening on Friday and didn't open until Saturday.

-I still can't make up my mind on the Sonora tent. I LOVE the concept and LOVE the bookings, but I just don't love the fact that it's enclosed and has all this art and courches and the like. I thought it was supposed to feel like a punk club not a VIP nightclub (yes, I'm a spoiled brat for complaining about COUCHES but it's not ideal to turn around during Guided by Voices and seeing a bunch of lounge rats). Also, is there anyway they can get a bar in that tent?! Me and my buddy couldn't stop thinking about how much more crowded it would be if they could get a beer stand in the back of the tent like an actual show venue.

-Had very little issues waiting in lines at all all weekend - very rarely waited more than 3-4 people for a drink, food, or bathrooms. Nice layout. My only real issue is the WATER SITUATION. Refill lines for my Camelbak were so long I was BEGGING to see a stand to fork over $2 for a water and couldn't find any sometimes. I'd be nervous as hell about this both as a fest goer and Goldenvoice from a liability issue if it really is 105 this weekend - people will be passing out.

-Finally, the Uber line was a clussssssttterrrrrrfuck. What a nightmare. Took about 30-40 minutes to walk to the stand, only to see a huge mass of people waiting to get an Uber because the gates were flimsy and people were pushing through the winding queues by opening them up and skipping part of the line. People were pushing and shoving and you couldn't even see where the cars were. We were in the line for 15 minutes, didn't move, and had to essentially start at ground zero at 2:00 AM. We just left the grounds and called a Lyft from 49th and Monroe because Ubers refused to pickup right outside the fest. We just walked out the fest and called Lyfts day two and three - way to lose my business Uber!

Logistics Cliffs:
    1. Getting a good spot at most sets not difficult
    2. Extra walking didn't effect me
    3. Sonora tent - mixed results
    4. Water situation atrocious
    5. I hope whoever was running Ubers at Coachella was fired

They expanded by 20 acres - that's what a sound technician who was having a beer "after work" told me. And I asked him about Radiohead and he said he didn't know what happened and didn't want to talk about it. This expansion makes the Main Stage more spacious - you can pretty much get in close from the left hand side and the Outdoor stage has no sound bleed issues. And you can get close from the right side. The Mojavi and Gobi tents didn't have sound issues from the Sahara like previous years although I guess Mojavi did from the Outdoor.

Things that sucked about the expansion
    1) You can't see the Outdoor stage from the Main Stage beer garden - although that resulted in that beer garden and bathrooms being pretty empty. You CAN see the Outdoor stage (kind of) from the Gobi/Sahara new beer garden.

2) There wasn't enough water vendors for the new space. Finding water can be tricky.

3) It's a total clusterfuck by the paved path between the Main and Outdoor - it's like three lanes of traffic all merging in different directions.

4) It's harder to run between sets - you have to plan a little more wisely. You can't go from the Gobi/Mojavi to the Main very quickly like in previous years.

5) Less viewing of the stages from beer gardens in general BUT the beer gardens were less crowded.

Overall once you get the hang of the new layout and learn the tricks - it's not too bad. And there was Waaaaaay less sound bleed issues and I did feel once you GOT to a stage/tent it was easier to get in.

Banks may have really been the only time the Gobi was crowded. It was a mess. We watched a bit from the beer gardens through, which was something you couldn't do in the past. All other Gobi sets were very approachable.

Agree that there were less water vendors, especially by Outdoor & Coachella stages. The ratio of churo / pretzel to water vendors was way too high, but fixable.

And while we loved the Sonora and the stacked set times at the Sonora, it was just another stage far from other stages to bounce back and forth to.

Oh, and let's not confuse soundbleed with hearing another stage only between songs on the stage that you are on.
    Last edited by PlayaDelWes; 04-18-2017 at 09:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Quote Originally Posted by wannabeontop1 View Post
    They expanded by 20 acres - that's what a sound technician who was having a beer "after work" told me. And I asked him about Radiohead and he said he didn't know what happened and didn't want to talk about it. This expansion makes the Main Stage more spacious - you can pretty much get in close from the left hand side and the Outdoor stage has no sound bleed issues. And you can get close from the right side. The Mojavi and Gobi tents didn't have sound issues from the Sahara like previous years although I guess Mojavi did from the Outdoor.

Things that sucked about the expansion
    1) You can't see the Outdoor stage from the Main Stage beer garden - although that resulted in that beer garden and bathrooms being pretty empty. You CAN see the Outdoor stage (kind of) from the Gobi/Sahara new beer garden.

2) There wasn't enough water vendors for the new space. Finding water can be tricky.

3) It's a total clusterfuck by the paved path between the Main and Outdoor - it's like three lanes of traffic all merging in different directions.

4) It's harder to run between sets - you have to plan a little more wisely. You can't go from the Gobi/Mojavi to the Main very quickly like in previous years.

5) Less viewing of the stages from beer gardens in general BUT the beer gardens were less crowded.

Overall once you get the hang of the new layout and learn the tricks - it's not too bad. And there was Waaaaaay less sound bleed issues and I did feel once you GOT to a stage/tent it was easier to get in.
    The Radiohead issue was talked about elsewhere. Apparently it was their sound board, not Coachella's fault. That bleep sound was it failing and each time it had to reboot, which took several minutes.

Remember when y'all were confident they'd expand it slowly over the years??? Never underestimate GVs want for more money. I've never seen the fields so packed, so many people just hanging around making it hard to get from stage to stage

I still haven't seen an official attendance number...

I really, really, really doubt it was the full extra 26,000. The Sahara seemed crowded, but not much more so than every other year. Every other stage felt less crowded. I was shocked at how easy it was to get close for Hans, Gaga, Kendrick, etc. The only time it felt more crowded was in the lobby/terrace.

If the numbers come out and it was the full 26,000, I'll eat crow. But it felt more spacious than ever.

Honestly, if the numbers come out and it was the full 26,000, awesome. That means they did the full expansion and, for the most part, it didn't feel much more crowded. If it's only a 5,000 person expansion, as I've seen rumored, then another 21,000 could be problematic without an additional large stage.

I think this year was the grounds expansion and test-run, and they spent the money to get that infrastructure under control. I think next year (or year after that) we'll see the push out into Lot 8, the new stage, and a higher attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    I really, really, really doubt it was the full extra 26,000. The Sahara seemed crowded, but not much more so than every other year. Every other stage felt less crowded. I was shocked at how easy it was to get close for Hans, Gaga, Kendrick, etc. The only time it felt more crowded was in the lobby/terrace.

If the numbers come out and it was the full 26,000, I'll eat crow. But it felt more spacious than ever.
    It was definitely at least 125k everyday. The perfect time to observe, experience and immerse (or avoid for those who hate it - personally love it) is around 5:30-before sunset when almost everyone is in/getting into the festival grounds. I did a walkthru of the entire grounds - either I started with my locker or ended up at it to refresh or to get my sweater during my water/food break/downtime. The sheer magnitude of incredibly excited and smiling happy people is definitely one of the special memories I will never forget at this edition of Coachella.
    Last edited by idrive1life; 04-19-2017 at 01:32 PM.

Special thanks to the gods of weather!*^

Most attendees were ust outside the tents or far away from the stages. It was so easy to get a good spot at any non-EDM set if you time it really well. Even the Sahara was not crowded or virtually empty in the early afternoon (at least for me, as I was there a few minutes before Anna Lunnoe started).

Easily got front rows to all the sets I had been at or got pretty close to it if I came mid-set or except for the New Order. The oldies are so ready and waiting for New Order but on hindsight, the front row spot I got behind the VIP area and in front of the large speaker in the left side is perfect.

The walk from mojave to sonora was rough. There wasn't nearly enough shade structures.
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

they should lend every attendee a hoverboard
    2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012: II, 2013: I, 2014: I, 2015: I, 2017: II

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    The Radiohead issue was talked about elsewhere. Apparently it was their sound board, not Coachella's fault. That bleep sound was it failing and each time it had to reboot, which took several minutes.
    Thom mentioned as such during the set. He said something like "technical issues are our own fault."
    How many headlines can you make out of the 2016 lineup? i.e. "Young monsters moon strangers for pure horror."

Quote Originally Posted by silver06 View Post

-Finally, the Uber line was a clussssssttterrrrrrfuck. What a nightmare. Took about 30-40 minutes to walk to the stand, only to see a huge mass of people waiting to get an Uber because the gates were flimsy and people were pushing through the winding queues by opening them up and skipping part of the line. People were pushing and shoving and you couldn't even see where the cars were. We were in the line for 15 minutes, didn't move, and had to essentially start at ground zero at 2:00 AM. We just left the grounds and called a Lyft from 49th and Monroe because Ubers refused to pickup right outside the fest. We just walked out the fest and called Lyfts day two and three - way to lose my business Uber!
    If I could offer any advice to the Weekend 2 peeps, it would be to completely forget about the Uber lot. The fucking pedicabs wouldn't even take us there for any less than $25 PER PERSON.

We just gave up and walked over to the Parent Pickup / Droppoff lot (where the camping toll booths are) and found that Lyft / Uber could just pick you up there, and there were a bunch of locals that would give you a ride for a cash negotiated price. Just go into the campground and wait about an hour after the show, then head to the back of Lot 10 where this pickup / dropoff spot is.
    How many headlines can you make out of the 2016 lineup? i.e. "Young monsters moon strangers for pure horror."

old school

Subjective comment, but was the crowd a little better behaved than normal this year or was I just at good sets?

Other than exchanging words with some rude Australians that almost crushed my friend as they were pushing past us at the start of Gaga's set, everyone I met / stood next to / danced around all weekend seemed pretty well behaved, a little step forward from last year IMO. Maybe it was because of less EDM on the main stages.

I thought the crowds were awesome. Some of the best I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by silver06 View Post
    Subjective comment, but was the crowd a little better behaved than normal this year or was I just at good sets?

Other than exchanging words with some rude Australians that almost crushed my friend as they were pushing past us at the start of Gaga's set, everyone I met / stood next to / danced around all weekend seemed pretty well behaved, a little step forward from last year IMO. Maybe it was because of less EDM on the main stages.
    Putting most of the big name EDM in the Sahara sucked for those fans, but really improved the experience everywhere else, in my opinion. The only bad experience we had all weekend was one roided out bro during Royksopp threatening my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    Thom mentioned as such during the set. He said something like "technical issues are our own fault."
    Think the comment was more a dig at those that use auto tune. Said something to be effect of "we don't use auto tune, so the mistakes you hear are our fault." Didn't take it to mean the foh difficulties at the time.
    Last edited by JustSteve; 04-19-2017 at 02:00 PM.

Oddly enough my only bad crowd experience was at HANS ZIMMER. Which is hilarious. We moved away from a really drunk group of friends who were screaming about "Where are we going next?" "I'm so excited for [XYZ]" "How's your job going?" all through Gladiator, which was really frustrating because we were up close and it's like, why bother coming that close? They were being so loud that it was really affecting everybody's ability to hear.

All to move right behind another group of screaming guys who were making jokes loudly right after Pharrell...I told them to stop talking. They were like, "are you serious bro?" and I said "yes" and they stopped. I don't like being the festival police, but it's like...orchestral music. And once-in-a-lifetime orchestral music at that. I really don't care if you're drunk screaming during Gucci Mane or Lady Gaga or some big party show, but I couldn't believe how many people were talking during Hans. It felt like Outside Lands.

Still didn't detract from the experience after that, because it was amazing.

All to move right behind another group of screaming guys who were making jokes loudly right after Pharrell...I told them to stop talking. They were like, "are you serious bro?" and I said "yes" and they stopped. I don't like being the festival police, but it's like...orchestral music. And once-in-a-lifetime orchestral music at that. I really don't care if you're drunk screaming during Gucci Mane or Lady Gaga or some big party show, but I couldn't believe how many people were talking during Hans. It felt like Outside Lands.
    We had this girl behind us at Gaga who perhaps screamed a bit too loud. She came up behind us about 4 songs into Gaga's set and started screaming at the top of her lungs (louder than everyone else sceaming and singing in that area and it was already loud). She just kept repeating this mantra over and over.... "YAAAAAASSSSS BIIIIIITCH, SLAAAAAAAY!!! BIIIIITTTCHHHH YAAAAAAAAASSSS BIIIIIITTTTCCCCHHH SLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAy!!!" It was hilarious for the first like minute, but when she kept on for about 10 minutes, everyone our area was about to throw down. Luckily she moved somewhere else, but man was that annoying as fuck.
    2005, 2007, 2011, 2012 W1 & W2, 2013 W1 & W2, 2014 W1 & W2, 2015 W1 & W2, 2016 W1 & W2, 2017 W1 & W2,and SOON 2018 W1 & W2 !!

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Get over yourself you entitled bitch whore cunt ball.

Oddly enough my only bad crowd experience was at HANS ZIMMER. Which is hilarious. We moved away from a really drunk group of friends who were screaming about "Where are we going next?" "I'm so excited for [XYZ]" "How's your job going?" all through Gladiator, which was really frustrating because we were up close and it's like, why bother coming that close? They were being so loud that it was really affecting everybody's ability to hear.

Still didn't detract from the experience after that, because it was amazing.
    And there's a solid 50ish minutes before and after Hans! What were they waiting there for?? The crowd for Hans was the best of the weekend for me, that sucks you experienced that.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    Think the comment was more a dig at those that use auto tune. Said something to be effect of "we don't use auto tune, so the mistakes you hear are our fault." Didn't take it to mean the foh difficulties at the time.
    Ahhh.....must have been a dig at Travis Scott.

My good luck / bad luck:
    - Impossible to get anywhere near Hans
    - Ridiculously long walk to Uber but no wait for a pickup at around 11:30 pm on Sunday. Left Kendrick *much* earlier than I wanted to, but also wanted to avoid crazy surge prices.

Was Hans crowd that big? I mean, we admittedly showed up 10-15 minutes early but we literally walked right up to rail on the Artist/Guest barrier. I just assumed he drew a decent sized crowd but nothing major.

We got there a few minutes before and couldn't (easily) get closer than the speakers on the right. It wasn't super densely packed, but it went pretty far back, yeah.

How anyone thinks this year wasn't crowded is beyond me. There were times where we were tripping over groups of people DURING THE DAY

We walked over from the beer garden between main and outdoor just before Lorde ended and it was busy. Everyone was rushing over from Lorde. I was just past the old access road and couldn't/wouldn't move up any closer. After Lorde is was a swarm of dick heads and dumb cunts rushing and asking "WHO IS THIS AGAIN? WHAT SONG DOES HE PLAY?" It filled up and then another rush of people as the lion king started. It went pretty far back, but wasn't as dense towards the Mojave. too much yapping and too many drunks/drugged up individuals.
    10' - 11' - 12' W2 - 13' W1 - 14' W1 - 15' W1 - 16' W1 - 17' W1

You're not on the lineup no one wants to see u dj. Stop. Especially if you're going to play Calvin Harris u fuckin knob... - Reeber

RESPECT THE FORMULA - Guedita

Quote Originally Posted by slinkybutt View Post
    How anyone thinks this year wasn't crowded is beyond me. There were times where we were tripping over groups of people DURING THE DAY
    The terrace felt overcrowded at 2 PM on Friday, it was crazy.
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by slinkybutt View Post
    Correct. The terrace/hang out/beer garden areas were swamped like they've never been swamped before in the early afternoon. Early afternoon sets (and some late night ones) were still fairly empty, but absolutely there were more people at Coachella just sitting around waiting for the 2-3 Sahara acts they came in for.

9/6: The War on Drugs, Land of Talk @ The Paramount