Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: BigChella

Default Re: BigChella

Quote Originally Posted by mmsk123 View Post
    I agree with you on the small size, but I think they could make some adjustments and it wouldn't be that bad. Fix the beer garden so you can see the Outdoor again, and find some sort of layout so you can go from the Sahara/Dolab to the Gobi without walking all the way up and around the new beer garden (maybe cut the Hacienda VIP in half) and I think it'd be almost like before just size XL.
    The Hacienda VIP was, like, eight square feet. Super tiny.

I agree with you on the small size, but I think they could make some adjustments and it wouldn't be that bad. Fix the beer garden so you can see the Outdoor again, and find some sort of layout so you can go from the Sahara/Dolab to the Gobi without walking all the way up and around the new beer garden (maybe cut the Hacienda VIP in half) and I think it'd be almost like before just size XL.
    There is no scenario anymore in which the walk from one end to the other is anything even close to what it used to be. They could do more to make it so that you can get the full experience without a 30-45 minute round trip walk to do it - a second craft beer garden, moving either the Yuma, Sonora, or Do Lab more toward the center of the field (preferably Sonora). But it is what it is at this point. I've sort of accepted that today's Coachella means I'll see 2-3 fewer acts per day than I used to, and will be lucky to make it into any of those three stages more than once (if even). And in that sense, for all the vast improvements they've made to the experience, the expansion is a downgrade.

There are horse stables behind the Sahara, doubt they're going anywhere.
    Last edited by JustSteve; 05-09-2017 at 04:14 PM.

Well this is fucking funny, google maps has an image from during Coachella, must've been 2016. Can see the area backstage, why they are unable to expand Sahara further back

Can see our RV just above the temp in the bottom right corner, good times!

Full view
    Last edited by JustSteve; 05-09-2017 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    There is no scenario anymore in which the walk from one end to the other is anything even close to what it used to be. They could do more to make it so that you can get the full experience without a 30-45 minute round trip walk to do it - a second craft beer garden, moving either the Yuma, Sonora, or Do Lab more toward the center of the field (preferably Sonora). But it is what it is at this point. I've sort of accepted that today's Coachella means I'll see 2-3 fewer acts per day than I used to, and will be lucky to make it into any of those three stages more than once (if even). And in that sense, for all the vast improvements they've made to the experience, the expansion is a downgrade.
    You all know now how much I love Yuma. It is the main reason why I came back / will keep going to Coachella. My oasis, my haven, my paradise and Coachella's best kept secret. Please do not wish for Yuma to get anywhere near or closer to Sahara or the Do-Lab.

I do not want to imagine a Coachella world or time I will not be able to get inside Yuma anytime I want.

Yuma should stay there for life.

If you want more "real music", BiggerChella needs another stage (or another for 8-25 EDM crowd) and more grounds expansion (for Sonora relocation) somewhere out there.

BigChella needs an outdoor stage in the corner for all those shitty overcrowded EDM garbage acts, Yuma needs more interesting acts with longer sets (ie; Sasha gets 4 hours), and then the Tech-Bro can fuck off to the Sahara.
    Coachella 2011, 2013(wk1), 2014(wk1), 2014(wk2), 2015(wk1),

2016(wk1), 2016(wk2)

Sahara can be Tech-Bro mixed with legacy electronic acts.
    Coachella 2011, 2013(wk1), 2014(wk1), 2014(wk2), 2015(wk1),

2016(wk1), 2016(wk2)

For me, the biggest problem stages now are:
    Outdoor - it's always been my least fave and actually got worse this year. No shade, no beer, enormous crowds funneled into a relatively narrow space that makes for bad sight line and audio quality. Luckily there's never that many acts I want to see on there anyway so I'm perfectly happy to have them put popular acts that don't appeal to me personally over there to draw large crowds away from other stages. Plus it's really far from every other stage except Mojave.

Gobi - as mentioned before, the dead end and zero visibility need to change for next year. It's just such a shame to have act after act play to insanely miniscule crowds in what used to be a great tent for walking by to discover new stuff or splitting sets on your way somewhere else. The beer garden there was a good idea in theory but wasn't so great in practice. No shade on the tent side for watching bands, only crappy beer available, really was more of a hassle and obstruction to walk around than something useful and nice like I hoped it would be.

The best stages for me are Mojave (looove - always been my fave and I actually like its placement now bc it's easier to go between it and the 2 main stages) and the Main was great this year, very spacious and well-produced on all levels, great audio and visuals no matter how giant the crowd gets, plus 2 nice beer gardens to watch from.

Pleeeeeease add a second craft beer area!!! Preferably where you can actually see/hear a stage, but honestly anywhere would be great. How amazing would it be to have a craft beer garden where you could watch both the Main and Outdoor... I don't know if it's physically possible but I can dream... mini beer garden inside Sonora would also rule.
    Quote Originally Posted by svatomictwist View Post
    I spin in both directions, and I also dance in FRACTIONS.
    2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011!!!, 2012 (w1), 2013 (w2), 2014! (w2), 2015!! (w2), 2016 (w2), 2017 (w2)...

A Craft beer garden against the wall of the main area would be awesome and adding a couple more taps at the Gobi beer garden would be amazing as well. agree with the shade issue at the new beer garden while watching the Gobi, they could be creative with the shade on that side for viewing pleasure. Also, TVs streaming in areas you can watch the stages (Beer barn, Cantina, big cocktail bar in main beer garden, New garden not facing the gobi) would be cool to see crowds and energy to maybe get you out to one of the stages instead of just drinking and possibly missing out. I remember watching the Mojave in the Cantina one year and my group all just decided to go to the tent because the crowd looked really fun. This year we sat and talked while probably missing out on something we all would've jumped to if we saw what was going on. I know this sounds very FOMO, but it would give you the urge to keep out and discover bands or enjoy something you might of forgot about while chit chatting.
    10' - 11' - 12' W2 - 13' W1 - 14' W1 - 15' W1 - 16' W1 - 17' W1

You're not on the lineup no one wants to see u dj. Stop. Especially if you're going to play Calvin Harris u fuckin knob... - Reeber

RESPECT THE FORMULA - Guedita

Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    Agree completely with this.

Quote Originally Posted by svenflauge View Post
    BigChella needs an outdoor stage in the corner for all those shitty overcrowded EDM garbage acts, Yuma needs more interesting acts with longer sets (ie; Sasha gets 4 hours), and then the Tech-Bro can fuck off to the Sahara.
    so they arent doing that already with placing Dj snake on the outdoor? Or like Zedd last year? Sahara is turning into the hip hop tent now anyway. The assumption will be if theres a notable rapper, that isnt too highliy billed, theyll end up in the Sahara at night.

Quote Originally Posted by M0D3Z View Post
    Also, TVs streaming in areas you can watch the stages
    This is a great idea! I remember a few years back (2014 I think) they had TVs showing diff stages in the Cantina and it was so nice to chill in there and still get to see what was happening elsewhere
    Quote Originally Posted by svatomictwist View Post
    I spin in both directions, and I also dance in FRACTIONS.
    2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011!!!, 2012 (w1), 2013 (w2), 2014! (w2), 2015!! (w2), 2016 (w2), 2017 (w2)...

Heh. I remember in 2012, there was an air conditioned Beats By Dre tent with Sony 3D TV's broadcasting the festival. I couldn't handle being outside in the 107 degree heat all day, so I definitely watched the entirety of Childish Gambino in there.