Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 165

Thread: BigChella

  1. #1
    Coachella Junkie PlayaDelWes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    7,652

    Default BigChella

    Everything is bigger and further apart. The Outdoor Theatre is in another county. Repeaters are further back on both Outdoor and Coachella stage than ever. The Sahara is now the closest (big) stage to the lockers. Beer gardens are now bigger. The wrap around beer garden that spans from Gobi to Sahara is pretty sweet. The space where the Gobi and Mojavi used to be is spacious but kind of a waste. Same with the space between where the Gobi and the Mojavi are now too. They did a good job opening up the terrace by pushing the merch tents back. There are so many open spaces, they put up light poles to help navigate the polo fields.

    Over the course of the day, there are parts of the grounds that you'll miss whereas in the past you'd just go through them in passing.

    Clusterfuck areas now include the Gobi (it's a dead end) and the Sahara (as usual).

    And yes, they increased crowds significantly to take advantage of all this extra space. I feel like the proportion of increased attendees was equal to the increase of new acreage, but that still made certain peak areas more crowded than usual.

    /HotTake
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

  2. #2
    Old Gay Guy gaypalmsprings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Palm Springs, CA
    Posts
    22,005

    Default Re: BigChella

    It's Biglychella. It's da bomb! I touched Sylvester Stallone's arm - I had a Rocky moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    475

    Default Re: BigChella

    Thanks for the report, Wes. This is good info. for those of us attending W2.

    Does the increased distance between the stages/tents help alleviate some of the sound bleed and interference issues that have been prevalent in previous years?
    Coachella '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12 W1, '13 W1&2, '14 W1, '15 W1&2, '16 W1 (maybe '19 W1)

  4. #4
    Member meyouseek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Leimert Park
    Posts
    1,752

    Default Re: BigChella

    I'm still butt hurt about the no Outdoor view from the beer garden situation. The sound bleed was never bad from within the crowd.


  5. #5

    Default Re: BigChella

    More space, but seems like outdoor viewing area, Sahara, Mojave, Yuma and Gobi are all the same size still - can you confirm this?
    Coachella 2011, 2013(wk1), 2014(wk1), 2014(wk2), 2015(wk1),

    2016(wk1), 2016(wk2)

  6. #6
    Old Gay Guy gaypalmsprings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Palm Springs, CA
    Posts
    22,005

    Default Re: BigChella

    The tents do all seem the same size as last year. They are spaced out much further apart.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

  7. #7

    Default Re: BigChella

    From what I can gather, if you stay away from EDM, Nu_EDM and any commercial crap, you shouldn't have too much of an issue with crowds either.
    Coachella 2011, 2013(wk1), 2014(wk1), 2014(wk2), 2015(wk1),

    2016(wk1), 2016(wk2)

  8. #8
    old school mikey1313's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    SF <-> LA
    Posts
    3,769

    Default Re: BigChella

    Quote Originally Posted by svenflauge View Post
    More space, but seems like outdoor viewing area, Sahara, Mojave, Yuma and Gobi are all the same size still - can you confirm this?
    The Sahara is absolutely bigger this year. Not big enough to actually solve any issues, but definitely bigger.
    My old account "Mikey1313666" is down for whatever reason.

  9. #9
    old school mikey1313's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    SF <-> LA
    Posts
    3,769

    Default Re: BigChella

    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    The tents do all seem the same size as last year. They are spaced out much further apart.
    Am I crazy, or does the new Mojave location seem much closer to the Outdoor stage than the Gobi ever was? Travis Scott bleeding into DJ Shadow's set was brutal.
    My old account "Mikey1313666" is down for whatever reason.

  10. #10
    Coachella Junkie PlayaDelWes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    7,652

    Default Re: BigChella

    Quote Originally Posted by svenflauge View Post
    From what I can gather, if you stay away from EDM, Nu_EDM and any commercial crap, you shouldn't have too much of an issue with crowds either.
    This is true.

    I think they did some creative things with soundbleed like putting up those enormous unicorns (i know they might be party hats) between sounds from the outdoor theatre and Main Stage. Blocking the view from the beer garden as well. But yea, the only place I really heard notable soundbleed was near the Mojavi. It wasn't any closer to the Outdoor though.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

  11. #11
    Member summersnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    426

    Default Re: BigChella

    Quote Originally Posted by mikey1313 View Post
    Am I crazy, or does the new Mojave location seem much closer to the Outdoor stage than the Gobi ever was? Travis Scott bleeding into DJ Shadow's set was brutal.
    Not psyched to hear this.
    Friday: Radiohead / King Gizz / Bonobo / Father John Misty / Sampha / Loco Dice / Big Gigantic / Crystal Castles / Jagwar Ma
    Saturday: Moderat / Avalanches / Tycho / Floating Points / Schoolboy Q / Warpaint / Royskopp / Breakbot / Local Natives / Car Seat Headrest / Thundercat / Ben UFO / Swet Shop Boys / Mitski / TDCC / Roisin Murphy
    Sunday: Kendrick Lamar / Hans Zimmer / New Order / Kaytranada / Maya Jane Coles / Devendra Banhart / Tale of Us / Whitney / Preoccupations

  12. #12

    Default Re: BigChella

    I suspect to hear about that being a problem during Nico Jaar/DJ Snake tonight

  13. #13
    old school mikey1313's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    SF <-> LA
    Posts
    3,769

    Default Re: BigChella

    Quote Originally Posted by summersnow View Post
    Not psyched to hear this.
    Aside from this though, the rest of the sound bleed issues are a bit better.

    I can't be the only one to think the Sahara looks wider this year.
    My old account "Mikey1313666" is down for whatever reason.

  14. #14
    old school travelfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,974

    Default Re: BigChella

    A couple small things:

    1. Mojave now has chandeliers. Sort of look like crystals and the ceiling is black, as a counter point to the maroon Gobi.
    2. MODEZ told me about a secret beer garden behind the Yuma. We walked in confidently and they let us in, but we're, like, 90% sure it's for artists only because the trailers for all the DJs are back there and everybody but us had an artist pass. There are big couches everywhere and oriental rugs, and one small bar manned by two girls.
    3. Yuma seem bigger this year?
    4. Hacienda del Toro VIP was not open last night, at least not around 8:00. They said they "hoped to have it open later". Seems like something isn't working and it's not finished.

  15. #15
    old school shotglass75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Chi-Town
    Posts
    5,694

    Default Re: BigChella

    Watching the webcast, I was bummed for everyone that you couldn't see the Outdoor from the beer garden. They need to update that. It also looked like half the sets I watched in the Mojave and Gobi were empty. Is it just people didn't care about the bands playing in there or just everyone is at the Sahara? What sets were overflowing? What sets were empty?

    What else, other than size, has changed about the fest?

    From looking at Map, I would say move outdoor closer to beer garden if possible or put another beer garden in between outdoor and Mojave like Gobi/Sahara

    One thing that did bother me was how Social Media depicts this festival. You can't get one god damn bit of information about the bands/music or the fest other than what fucking celebrities are there or some stupid fashion bullshit post. I can see why all of the people I know who haven't been to this fest think it's a shit show of disgusting human beings if all they read is what is on social media. The fact that the fest has grossly catered to the VIP crowd is also pathetic. Most every time I watched a set the VIP barricade area in front of the stage was empty. What's the fucking point?

    Rant over. Let's hear some reviews of the fest in general.
    It's funny how everything was roses when we held on to the guns.

  16. #16

    Default Re: BigChella

    you got bigger too

  17. #17
    old school travelfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,974

    Default Re: BigChella

    Quote Originally Posted by shotglass75 View Post
    Most every time I watched a set the VIP barricade area in front of the stage was empty. What's the fucking point?
    Those are artist pass access only, VIP tickets weren't allowed. As somebody who did VIP for the first time this year, I was actually pleasantly surprised by the crowd. It felt like mostly industry people. I expected more "social media all-star" than I saw.

  18. #18
    old school shotglass75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Chi-Town
    Posts
    5,694

    Default Re: BigChella

    Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    Those are artist pass access only, VIP tickets weren't allowed. As somebody who did VIP for the first time this year, I was actually pleasantly surprised by the crowd. It felt like mostly industry people. I expected more "social media all-star" than I saw.
    Question still remains then, what's the fucking point? Why block off a good 30 yards of prime crowd space for a few measly artist pass attendees who actually don't even show up to watch the bands? Pointless.
    It's funny how everything was roses when we held on to the guns.

  19. #19
    old school GolfWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SFV
    Posts
    2,538

    Default Re: BigChella

    yeah the empty area for ultra-VIP's or whatever down front was really annoying to see on the webcast, especially when there were a bunch of GA fans behind it who would gladly fill up that space if they could.

  20. #20
    Member MusicIsMyBoyfriend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Riverside, California
    Posts
    1,833

    Default Re: BigChella

    I feel like the grounds expansion was a bit of an optical illusion, In my brain I knew it was larger, but to my eye when entering from the Terrace out onto the field it didn't appear that much bigger. And trying to mentally cram it all back in between the row of palms to where it was seems impossible.

    But walking from stage to stage, you definitely feel the distance. The most brutal was walking from day parking all the way to Mojave as fast as our feet would move us to get to Swet Shop Boys on Sat. I definitely did less split sets for fear of spending more time crossing the field then seeing actual music. Just glad I have a second weekend to catch what I missed.

    Random things that sucked....

    NO SHADED place to eat by outdoor stage now, there are still food vendors there, but no shade. The shade tents that used to be there are now way back in the beer garden between the tents. I thought this was particularly shitty as sometimes grabbing a bite to eat and chilling in the shade while watching a band on outdoor is one of the best ways to beat the daytime heat.

    I saw way less trash/recyclable cans out in the main field. They were by the food places, but if you needed to throw something away anywhere other than that there were none to be found. They do have those people going around to pick up trash off the ground, but I feel like this lack of cans left even more trash spread about than usual.

    Is it me or were there way less water sellers out on the fields than in past years? seemed like I had to search them out and when I found them there was usually a line. And the carts that sell churros/hot dogs/pretzels do not sell water or even sodas. So if you want a pretzel and a water you have to make two separate stops.

    There is not an additional water refill station between main and outdoor, however there were people using the hand washing basins to fill up their water bottles in the bathroom area there.

    The back of the Gobi can be a major clusterfuck if that tent is slammed. Banks was and utter shitshow, overflow tent, tried to get out halfway through her set and to get from back of soundboard area to the access/palm tree road took me close to 25 minutes. It was packed tight all the way back and people were still trying to push forward into her set so that anyone trying to get out was just trapped. That was the worst crowd experience I had all weekend.
    2005, 2007, 2011, 2012 W1 & W2, 2013 W1 & W2, 2014 W1 & W2, 2015 W1 & W2, 2016 W1 & W2, 2017 W1 & W2,and SOON 2018 W1 & W2 !!


    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Get over yourself you entitled bitch whore cunt ball.

  21. #21

    Default Re: BigChella

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicIsMyBoyfriend View Post
    I saw way less trash/recyclable cans out in the main field. They were by the food places, but if you needed to throw something away anywhere other than that there were none to be found. They do have those people going around to pick up trash off the ground, but I feel like this lack of cans left even more trash spread about than usual.

    Is it me or were there way less water sellers out on the fields than in past years? seemed like I had to search them out and when I found them there was usually a line. And the carts that sell churros/hot dogs/pretzels do not sell water or even sodas. So if you want a pretzel and a water you have to make two separate stops.
    While I agree that I didn't notice as many trash cans, I actually thought the overall trash situation was better than in years past. I remember it being a total disaster some years; this year, the ground wasn't that bad.

    But there seemed to be way fewer water sellers, which was really odd. It seemed like every cart I saw was a churro/pretzel cart only. I'd ask them where I could get water, and they often didn't even know (or would point me to full food areas).

    These seem like logistical issues that will be easily worked out next year.

  22. #22
    Coachella Junkie Miroir Noir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Zip City
    Posts
    9,264

    Default Re: BigChella

    Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    These seem like logistical issues that will be easily worked out next year.
    Probably by this weekend!
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

  23. #23
    Pedley Rocks JustSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Santa Barbara-ish
    Posts
    13,226

    Default Re: BigChella

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicIsMyBoyfriend View Post
    I feel like the grounds expansion was a bit of an optical illusion, In my brain I knew it was larger, but to my eye when entering from the Terrace out onto the field it didn't appear that much bigger. And trying to mentally cram it all back in between the row of palms to where it was seems impossible.

    But walking from stage to stage, you definitely feel the distance. The most brutal was walking from day parking all the way to Mojave as fast as our feet would move us to get to Swet Shop Boys on Sat. I definitely did less split sets for fear of spending more time crossing the field then seeing actual music. Just glad I have a second weekend to catch what I missed.

    Random things that sucked....

    NO SHADED place to eat by outdoor stage now, there are still food vendors there, but no shade. The shade tents that used to be there are now way back in the beer garden between the tents. I thought this was particularly shitty as sometimes grabbing a bite to eat and chilling in the shade while watching a band on outdoor is one of the best ways to beat the daytime heat.

    I saw way less trash/recyclable cans out in the main field. They were by the food places, but if you needed to throw something away anywhere other than that there were none to be found. They do have those people going around to pick up trash off the ground, but I feel like this lack of cans left even more trash spread about than usual.

    Is it me or were there way less water sellers out on the fields than in past years? seemed like I had to search them out and when I found them there was usually a line. And the carts that sell churros/hot dogs/pretzels do not sell water or even sodas. So if you want a pretzel and a water you have to make two separate stops.

    There is not an additional water refill station between main and outdoor, however there were people using the hand washing basins to fill up their water bottles in the bathroom area there.

    The back of the Gobi can be a major clusterfuck if that tent is slammed. Banks was and utter shitshow, overflow tent, tried to get out halfway through her set and to get from back of soundboard area to the access/palm tree road took me close to 25 minutes. It was packed tight all the way back and people were still trying to push forward into her set so that anyone trying to get out was just trapped. That was the worst crowd experience I had all weekend.
    This shows a large portion of the expansion of the outdoor


  24. #24
    Pedley Rocks JustSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Santa Barbara-ish
    Posts
    13,226

    Default Re: BigChella

    Quote Originally Posted by shotglass75 View Post
    Question still remains then, what's the fucking point? Why block off a good 30 yards of prime crowd space for a few measly artist pass attendees who actually don't even show up to watch the bands? Pointless.
    For production, guest and safari pass holders, too. Basically anything above VIP. The early evening and night sets tend to fill up for the bigger artists.

  25. #25
    Pedley Rocks JustSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Santa Barbara-ish
    Posts
    13,226

    Default Re: BigChella

    Sent a text to my friend out there letting him know about your guys' water comments. Especially with the impending heat this coming weekend.

  26. #26
    Member stochasticism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SF
    Posts
    1,172

    Default Re: BigChella

    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    Sent a text to my friend out there letting him know about your guys' water comments. Especially with the impending heat this coming weekend.
    You, sir, are awesome.

  27. #27
    Member MusicIsMyBoyfriend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Riverside, California
    Posts
    1,833

    Default Re: BigChella

    Awesome! Yeah definitely worried about how bad water lines could get with the heat.
    2005, 2007, 2011, 2012 W1 & W2, 2013 W1 & W2, 2014 W1 & W2, 2015 W1 & W2, 2016 W1 & W2, 2017 W1 & W2,and SOON 2018 W1 & W2 !!


    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Get over yourself you entitled bitch whore cunt ball.

  28. #28
    Member MusicIsMyBoyfriend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Riverside, California
    Posts
    1,833

    Default Re: BigChella

    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    This shows a large portion of the expansion of the outdoor

    Yeah this picture makes that area look massive!
    2005, 2007, 2011, 2012 W1 & W2, 2013 W1 & W2, 2014 W1 & W2, 2015 W1 & W2, 2016 W1 & W2, 2017 W1 & W2,and SOON 2018 W1 & W2 !!


    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Get over yourself you entitled bitch whore cunt ball.

  29. #29
    Member WhiteIverson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Ventura County, CA
    Posts
    362

    Default Re: BigChella

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicIsMyBoyfriend View Post
    Awesome! Yeah definitely worried about how bad water lines could get with the heat.
    I was rolling on saturday night and faced a moment of panic when I ran out of water. the lines were RIDICULOUSLY long, and I was running from stand to stand asking for water. no food vendor had them, I finally found a vendor that had warm bottled water and sat in line for what seemed like 20 mins. it was bullshit and I will definitely not ever put myself in that situation again, but the event should not put people in that situation - rolling or not.

  30. #30
    Member joshc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    229

    Default Re: BigChella

    The Outdoor theater area was massive and packed all the way past the old palm tree perimeter most of the times that I tried to go over there. Mojave and Gobi felt like they were in entirely different countries (Sonora was on another planet). Even though it helped with sound bleed and overall crowding, I definitely missed the old feeling of being able to hop between stages easily and to occasionally hit that spot in the middle of the grounds where you could sort of see/hear everything happening at once.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •