Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Security 2017

Default Security 2017

From a few reports over on reddit, the security seems a little tighter this year.

I have read reports of security in the campsite sniffing out for weed, plus there are now security in the festival wearing green shirts looking out for people inside the festival.

Now we can laugh all we want at the kids over on reddit, however the stream of reliable information that has been coming from there lately makes me take these reports a little more seriously.

I'd love to hear how the situation is this year compared to previous years.
    Coachella 2011, 2013(wk1), 2014(wk1), 2014(wk2), 2015(wk1),

2016(wk1), 2016(wk2)

Default Re: Security 2017

Sniffing for a legal substance. If true, it's a waste of resources. Like, why would they even bother? How does it benefit the event or its profits to harass paying customers about marijuana?

Interested as well. All these stories of weed-busting security guards seems way excessive. Hopefully this trend goes down.

Quote Originally Posted by meyouseek View Post
    Sniffing for a legal substance. If true, it's a waste of resources. Like, why would they even bother? How does it benefit the event or its profits to harass paying customers about marijuana?
    Last year a camper from a few sites down came to our site with a bowl of weed and large pipe, security saw/smelt it, and nearly searched all of our cars and bags. I can't remember how come they didn't end up going through with it, but after a 15 minute stand off, around 20 security had assembled at our site.

2016(wk1), 2016(wk2)

Weed wasn't legal last year without a scrip. It's more likely the dogs are sniffing for explosives.
    Youth, you son of a bitch, where did you go?

Quote Originally Posted by Emma Ocean View Post
    so I assume you've never been cunt punched at a festival? Well lucky you!

Personally, I've never seen more lax security. They didn't even look in my bag. I could've brought a camelback full of vodka if I'd wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    Personally, I've never seen more lax security. They didn't even look in my bag. I could've brought a camelback full of vodka if I'd wanted to.
    Good news, as per usual a bunch of kids on reddit blowing things way up.

2016(wk1), 2016(wk2)

Car Camping Security - Very relaxed. Arrived Friday at 2PM.
    Entrance Security - Didn't even pat me down. Didn't search bags really either.
    Security in the Festival - I felt more aware of security walking throughout the grounds and checking what people had in their hands.

Coachella 2017
    Solange April 21

I was not patted down yesterday either. Good experience so far
    Last edited by flowbee; 04-15-2017 at 09:22 AM.

I am curious how they will treat marijuana this year. It is legal, after all, for the first time this year.

Anyone from weekend 1 have any anecdotal evidence either way?
    2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012: II, 2013: I, 2014: I, 2015: I, 2017: II

Although through the state marijuana is considered 'legal', it still isn't recognized through the Feds. Hence why we still cant have it.

So this past weekend was my first Coachella, and security was definitely loose but still much tighter than I had expected.

My buddy and I arrived at tent camping on Thursday night and after going back and forth 4 times to unload our gear, we were only patted down the last time as the line at the gate grew longer. They searched all of our bags pretty thoroughly each time, but for the most part they were looking for glass objects. Throughout the weekend there were a lot of cops patrolling the site, some cars even labeled K-9 unit, but it seemed like they were only around to make sure nobody was being obnoxious.

Not once were we patted down entering the actual festival grounds. Inside the grounds, people were smoking joints in the crowd at all the stages with no problem. Security spent all their time yelling at girls on their boyfriends' shoulders.

In sum, just don't do anything in plain sight. Save your joints for the shows and share with your neighbors.

I don't think it was any tighter than in years past.

I snuck all my shit in no problem. even brought glass bottles of liquor in. never got patted down. just be smart lol.

As a followup, Friday and Saturday were both the lightest security days I've seen at Coachella, on the blue path, after parking in lot 14B. They didn't even look in the bags, really.

Sunday, however, was awful. We wound up in lot 2A, on the red path, which means we had to go through security twice. Both times were long lines, with pat downs and full bag checks. The second one took our Swell water bottles, which was fairly infuriating - I didn't realize metal water bottles weren't allowed, but they were clearly looking for them as "weapons." So that's $50 apiece down the drain.

The silly thing was, they took the Swell bottles, but let me bring in three liters of water; there could have been anything in there. Literally, if I'd just put the water bottle in the camelback, it would've gotten through fine.

Security was so easy that it made us slightly uncomfortable. We used the VIP entrance all three days. No pat downs, a quick cursory look at the top of the bag. We were able to get alcohol and spray on sunscreen in every day. What was even better is that while they seemed to be checking bags at times while exiting GA beer gardens, never once at VIP. We would buy multiple glasses of wine and a water bottle, fill it up, and just walk right out into the fields with it.

We never had any problems filling water bottles with beer, margaritas, etc when exiting the GA beer gardens, for what it's worth.

We saw them checking one day (I think Saturday) at the main stage one.

As a followup, Friday and Saturday were both the lightest security days I've seen at Coachella, on the blue path, after parking in lot 14B. They didn't even look in the bags, really.

Sunday, however, was awful. We wound up in lot 2A, on the red path, which means we had to go through security twice. Both times were long lines, with pat downs and full bag checks. The second one took our Swell water bottles, which was fairly infuriating - I didn't realize metal water bottles weren't allowed, but they were clearly looking for them as "weapons." So that's $50 apiece down the drain.

The silly thing was, they took the Swell bottles, but let me bring in three liters of water; there could have been anything in there. Literally, if I'd just put the water bottle in the camelback, it would've gotten through fine.
    Pretty sure the no metal water bottles thing is in the faq list of no-no's

Yeah, it is, I just hadn't noticed it. That said, glow sticks are on there too, and the guy didn't care about those. I can't be angry about security taking something that's explicitly not allowed, but it's still frustrating, particularly given the arbitrariness of which forbidden items they chose to confiscate ($10 glowsticks or full camelbacks, no; $50 Swell, yes).

Friday, GA entrance security was super lax, I always carry a backpack and keep all random items (makeup/sunscreen/phone charger etc) in clear pouch bags so all I have to do is take those out for easier inspection. I started to unload my bag on the table and the security dude was like, ok your cool, didn't even touch my bag.

Saturday was the opposite, they made me take everything out and open everything up, the security guy even found my tube of og glowsticks, but he was just like Im gonna pretend I didn't see those and let me through. Was still a fairly quick process though.

Sunday was a mix between the two where they tossled the top of my bag, but didn't really dig.

There were also metal detectors. I never beeped, but my sister did every day
    2005, 2007, 2011, 2012 W1 & W2, 2013 W1 & W2, 2014 W1 & W2, 2015 W1 & W2, 2016 W1 & W2, 2017 W1 & W2,and SOON 2018 W1 & W2 !!

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Get over yourself you entitled bitch whore cunt ball.

It was really variable for us -- a guard barely looked in my bag, while my friend in the next lane over was basically interrogated and had his sunscreen confiscated. (to be fair, it was aerosol sunscreen and we forgot that it was on the long list of don'ts)

Security was lax all three days for me. I walked in on Saturday without even having my tote-bag checked. The guy just said, "go on through."
    Coachella 09, 10, 11, 12(WK1), 13(WK2), 14(WK2), 15(WK1), 16(WK1), 17(WK1), 18(WK1)

It's all about the music.

Fake wristbands of 2017, some of these are priceless

Funny. Same thing happened to my wife's Swell bottle on that same day, in that same red path check point. Luckily, I had already gotten past security and simply picked up the Swell bottle from the trash bin after the security woman made my wife throw it away.

The Friday and Saturday check points via Green and Blue were easy peasy (we kept commenting on how seemingly easy it would be for someone to sneak weapons into the fest), so the sudden, intense scrutiny on Sunday was very jarring and quite infuriating as it kept us away from a good portion of Devendra's set due to the lines.

in VIP w1 I walked through a metal detector all three days and that was it. total joke.

Weekend 2 report - I've also never experienced more lax security at Coachella. No pat-downs! Not a single one! That's unheard of these days.

I know it's luck of the draw depending on your line, but compared to last year when they had me empty my wallet one day, it was insanely efficient.

Yep same here, not a single pat-down all weekend but had my bag checked a number of times leaving beer gardens. Just put my joints in my pocket and had no issues.

On Friday I had my bag emptied, and she threw out my food and glowsticks, and I had to chug the can of beer I had brought. That night we realized no one was being pat down so we just put all the snacks in our pockets and walked right in Saturday and Sunday.
    2013.1; 2014.1; 2015.1; 2016.1; 2017.2

First two days of Weekend 2 were VERY light. They didn't even pat me down Friday. Sunday was very intense, both at the entry and in the festival itself.
    anything could happen

Quote Originally Posted by arya. View Post
    First two days of Weekend 2 were VERY light. They didn't even pat me down Friday. Sunday was very intense, both at the entry and in the festival itself.
    Was the opposite for me. Sunday was the easiest day to get through.

Didn't get pat down or even asked to empty my pockets all weekend.
    2013.1; 2014.1; 2015.1; 2016.1; 2017.2