Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: the Avalanches

Default Re: the Avalanches

Anybody go to the Mezzanine show last night? Is there an opening act?

Trying to figure out set times for the Fonda.

I've also got one extra ticket (floor) for tonight's show. $40 obo

edit: sold
    Last edited by meyouseek; 04-19-2017 at 07:01 PM. Reason: ticket sold

The opener is 8-10 and Avalanches is 10:15 - 12:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

Thanks Tessa!

Do you know who's opening? Anything worthwhile?

Lee Fields is opening too so yay

Wait, someone on FB said the opener was some guy named Cooper Saver. You're saying Lee Fields is opening the Fonda show?

Cooper's Twitter also says he's the opener.
    https://twitter.com/coopersaver/stat...79654237847552

There we go. Haven't listened to him but wasn't planning on showing up early. Gotta start getting ready for Coach!

Lee Fields' tour website says he's in Portland tonight - http://leefieldsandtheexpressions.com/tour/
    Friday: Radiohead / King Gizz / Bonobo / Father John Misty / Sampha / Loco Dice / Big Gigantic / Crystal Castles / Jagwar Ma
    Saturday: Moderat / Avalanches / Tycho / Floating Points / Schoolboy Q / Warpaint / Royskopp / Breakbot / Local Natives / Car Seat Headrest / Thundercat / Ben UFO / Swet Shop Boys / Mitski / TDCC / Roisin Murphy
    Sunday: Kendrick Lamar / Hans Zimmer / New Order / Kaytranada / Maya Jane Coles / Devendra Banhart / Tale of Us / Whitney / Preoccupations

Cooper Saver throws the Far Away parties in LA. Saw him open before and he was good.
    5/23 Lena Wilikens @ F8 | 5/24 Las Sucias, Cube, Group Rhoda @ Hemlock Tavern | 5/26 Fever Ray @ Fox Theater | 5/30 Slowdive @ Filmore

Wow, The Avalanches play for 1:45? That's nuts.
    Last edited by summersnow; 04-19-2017 at 03:42 PM.
    Friday: Radiohead / King Gizz / Bonobo / Father John Misty / Sampha / Loco Dice / Big Gigantic / Crystal Castles / Jagwar Ma
    Saturday: Moderat / Avalanches / Tycho / Floating Points / Schoolboy Q / Warpaint / Royskopp / Breakbot / Local Natives / Car Seat Headrest / Thundercat / Ben UFO / Swet Shop Boys / Mitski / TDCC / Roisin Murphy
    Sunday: Kendrick Lamar / Hans Zimmer / New Order / Kaytranada / Maya Jane Coles / Devendra Banhart / Tale of Us / Whitney / Preoccupations

That's like a pretty normal show time I think. Verging on long.

I thought I saw someone comment about the Mezzanine show on FB that it was only an hour. But now I can't find it.

I doubt we'll get 1:45 of music.

Quote Originally Posted by meyouseek View Post
    I thought I saw someone comment about the Mezzanine show on FB that it was only an hour. But now I can't find it.

I doubt we'll get 1:45 of music.
    That's what I thought too - just saw Tessa's post above. In any case, clears out a conflict for me so all good!

Meeting some friends at the Blue Palms before the show around 8:30 if anyone wants to have a beer. I'll be wearing a Too $hort shirt.

A bunch of us are meeting there! Prob not til around 9:30 tho. I'll look for ya. Look for tall Chris. You can't miss him.

We'll very likely still be there at 9:30. Especially since we still haven't managed to get out of the house.

Who was the drunk woman on stage tonight - I totally missed who she was (or was she just random)?

Fun show! Felt pretty raw but I guess that is to be expected, not like they've played too many shows...

Quote Originally Posted by summersnow View Post
    Who was the drunk woman on stage tonight - I totally missed who she was (or was she just random)?

Fun show! Felt pretty raw but I guess that is to be expected, not like they've played too many shows...
    Drunk woman was Jennifer Herrema I believe. They were maybe going to go into "Step Kids" with her but did Noisy Eater instead?

I've stayed away from most write ups about their live show so I had no idea Spank Rock was the MC and was totally dumbfounded when Amanda Blank came out. I put two and two together after that though haha.

It was a short set and a bit raw, but I thought it was a lot of fun. The band sounded good and I liked what they did with some of their music live. Maybe it could've been better but I was not disappointed.

^this

I just want them to do more and more. This could totally turn into what it should be, or not. And I love that about it.

My old school fan buddy and I spent the first bit of the show stroking our collective chins wondering if we should like what we were hearing. Then we thought, "Anything they do is awesome because it's all we'll get." After that we progressed into, "This is awesome and right on the edge of falling apart and that's exactly what we want it to be."

I can't wait to do it all again on Friday.

So nice to meet Tall Chris and, ummm, PassiveTheory? And another guy whose handle I forgot. I introduced myself to the tallest guy I saw at the bar before the show... but his name was Mike or something, and had nothing to do with us.

Find me on Friday. I'll be wearing the shirt that says
    Rattlesnake
    Rattlesnake
    Rattlesnake
    Rattlesnake
    Rattlesnake
    Rattlesnake
    Last edited by meyouseek; 04-20-2017 at 01:26 AM.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

I hear they played under 50 minutes. at your own headlining show, when you've got more than an ablum's worth of material, that's fucking rude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twattycakes View Post
    If Zimmer isn't on the Coachella Stage I will literally shit on my own face in disgust.

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    I hear they played under 50 minutes. at your own headlining show, when you've got more than an ablum's worth of material, that's fucking rude.
    It was an absurdly short set for headlining. But - oh well.

Co-signed on above "This is awesome and right on the edge of falling apart and that's exactly what we want it to be." Fun, and honestly could have gone either way with something going wrong (the end to main set was a bit abrupt), but - if you're a fan it was great.

Quote Originally Posted by summersnow View Post
    It was an absurdly short set for headlining. But - oh well.

Co-signed on above "This is awesome and right on the edge of falling apart and that's exactly what we want it to be." Fun, and honestly could have gone either way with something going wrong (the end to main set was a bit abrupt), but - if you're a fan it was great.
    Yeah I really enjoyed it with same caveat about the length. Seems like they just have a festival set and that's about it. Amanda Blank coming out and doing Bump with Spankrock was hilarious and unexpected.

A 50-minute show? Whew, glad I sold my tickets then. If most of the feedback is "it was acceptable but I wanted more" or "messy and on the brink of disaster" then I can't be down with it.

I read elsewhere that the show was abruptly cut short and that there seemed to be some conflict between the band members. Dunno if that's true.

Amazing show last night. 10/10

Quote Originally Posted by Todevod View Post
    Tell me more.

Quote Originally Posted by Todevod View Post
    So you could hear the vocalists for the first two tracks and the mediocrity of Frankie Sinatra wasn't stretched out beyond belief?

We caught the last 4-ish songs of their set and I was surprised by how much fun it was. Frontier Psychiatrist was banging and Since I Left You was absolutely glorious and brought tears to my eyes. The crowd was super into it, I was pretty surprised by how many young people there were really excited and singing along. One of my faves from Friday!
    Quote Originally Posted by svatomictwist View Post
    I spin in both directions, and I also dance in FRACTIONS.
    2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011!!!, 2012 (w1), 2013 (w2), 2014! (w2), 2015!! (w2), 2016 (w2), 2017 (w2), 2018 (w2)...