Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: the Avalanches

Default the Avalanches

I realized that there are not threads for Moderat OR the Avalanches yet. This is blasphemy. Get familiar fools.

This is the Avalanches. They play on Friday night. The band currently mainly revolves around Robbie Chater and Tony Di Blasi. Although the band can be labelled as Electronic, their greatest notoriety and strength is the amount of samples that are utilized in often unexpected ways to create an undeniably catchy song. Since I Left You is one of the greatest albums of all time, let alone the 2000's. Friday is a packed day, but you need to make time for this set.

I got to see their first show back at Primavera Sound in Barcelona last year, but due to shipping and equipment issues it ended up being a DJ set. It was still awesome. I ver much look forward to seeing a 'live' set of whatever they end up doing for this tour now that they're healthy and good to go

Default Re: the Avalanches

I'm in love with these guys, but I'm very worried that their sound wont really translate super well in a live setting. Definitely not going to miss them, but can anyone help assure me that it's not going to be weird and bad?
    My old account "Mikey1313666" is down for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by mikey1313 View Post
    I'm in love with these guys, but I'm very worried that their sound wont really translate super well in a live setting. Definitely not going to miss them, but can anyone help assure me that it's not going to be weird and bad?
    That's what I was wondering. Hopefully, it's well worth the wait.
    Coachella 09, 10, 11, 12(WK1), 13(WK2), 14(WK2), 15(WK1), 16(WK1), 17(WK1), 18(WK1)

It's all about the music.

Bummed they got switched to Friday which is my super busy day; hoping for no conflicts. Would love to hear Frankie Sinatra

There is a longer Avalanches thread.

Reupping this thread for some post-show feedback.

Well, how was this set?

Quote Originally Posted by captain 66 View Post
    Reupping this thread for some post-show feedback.

Well, how was this set?
    That's what I'm wondering too... I thought there'd be more excitement for them but if it means I get a good spot for them W2 then I'm fine with that... I was mostly wondering if they brought out any special guests.

According to someone on reddit it wasn't very good. Would be nice to get a full report from someone who has some experience, I'm sure we will see some reports by next week.
    Coachella 2011, 2013(wk1), 2014(wk1), 2014(wk2), 2015(wk1),

2016(wk1), 2016(wk2)

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

lol. as if Reddit is full of amateurs.

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    lol. as if Reddit is full of amateurs.
    Well yeah, the place is literally 90% a bunch of kids complaining about the Sahara being to crowded or waiting an hour and a half for an Uber.

2016(wk1), 2016(wk2)

I was slightly surprised that this set wasn't more packed since this year was The Avalanche's "big return". I definitely appreciated the live aspect that they are pushing in their show, but certain transitions just weren't smooth. That being said, it was still amazing to finally hear the old tracks from "Since I Left You".

Coachella 2017
    Solange April 21

they started nearly 10 min late due to setup taking too long or technical issue which didn't help the crowd vibe. for the most part the partially "live" approach didn't work; you have two people, a man and woman, filling in for either other vocalists or the samples, and it's just kinda weird. Frank Sinatra is already a kinda annoying song and then you add in some guy filling in on the Danny brown part and it's just even sadder.

I guess the simplest way to put it, was I felt like I was on a cruise ship watching an avalanches cover band.

Though in fairness I left in time to see fjm (was a bit relieved they made the decision so easy) so didn't see the full set. They seemed to be getting into some of the first album stuff as I was leaving (electricity I think...not sure)

Their new album is garbage, not sure why anyone would think their show at Coachella would be decent, especially considering the terrible reviews from their show in Australia.

2016(wk1), 2016(wk2)

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

I've never understood how or why they try to do a live show given they are essentially turntablists. if they were going to have some of the original guests do their part that would make sense, but otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by DFrank View Post
    I was slightly surprised that this set wasn't more packed since this year was The Avalanche's "big return".
    that was last year.

Quote Originally Posted by svenflauge View Post
    Their new album is garbage.
    wait what?

Quote Originally Posted by mofomofo View Post
    Frank Sinatra is already a kinda annoying song and then you add in some guy filling in on the Danny brown part and it's just even sadder.
    ugh. this is easily the worst avalanches song. i just wish they'd skip it altogether.

other than that i really liked the new album and i'm still looking forward to checking them out.

I've never understood how or why they try to do a live show given they are essentially turntablists. if they were going to have some of the original guests do their part that would make sense, but otherwise.

that was last year.

wait what?
    they did a show at the Sydney Opera House a few years back, and apparently they just played DJ, which received heavy criticism. On top of that live electronic shows seem to be the way to go these days. Unfortunately for them, they just don't get it, or they aren't creative enough to develop a decent live show.

2016(wk1), 2016(wk2)

Frank Sinatra is already a kinda annoying song
    Is that the one that sounds like an electro-swing remix of a Damien Marley song?
    speculation strikes again.

Quote Originally Posted by GolfWang View Post
    ugh. this is easily the worst avalanches song. i just wish they'd skip it altogether.

other than that i really liked the new album and i'm still looking forward to checking them out.
    Even being a rabid Danny Brown and DOOM fan, I still fucking hate that song. The whole thing, the way the vocals are mixed down, the flows over a shitty instrumental, that god awful vocal sample. Other than that track though I thought the album was really fucking great. A Weekend 2 small crowd would be a huge plus.

As context regarding their DJ sets, I saw them at Primavera last year (this was their "Big Comeback"). They were supposed to be doing a live set but equipment shipping issues resulted in them pulling together a last-minute DJ set. It was super fun, but we were looking forward to a live aspect too.

If it was sloppy and/or not well thought out/put together, that's a bit of a disappointment. But I know it's still going to be super fun

they started nearly 10 min late due to setup taking too long or technical issue which didn't help the crowd vibe. for the most part the partially "live" approach didn't work; you have two people, a man and woman, filling in for either other vocalists or the samples, and it's just kinda weird. Frank Sinatra is already a kinda annoying song and then you add in some guy filling in on the Danny brown part and it's just even sadder.

I guess the simplest way to put it, was I felt like I was on a cruise ship watching an avalanches cover band.

Though in fairness I left in time to see fjm (was a bit relieved they made the decision so easy) so didn't see the full set. They seemed to be getting into some of the first album stuff as I was leaving (electricity I think...not sure)
    The live band worked for me. But starting ten minutes late, and then not having a vocalist mic on when they did start really killed any chance for momentum they had. I thought it was fine, but a bit disappointing.

I'm a huge fan and have been waiting forever to see them, so I was super excited to finally get the chance. It's a shame that they started 10 minutes late and that Spank Rock's mic didn't work for the opener, Because I'm Me, but overall, I really enjoyed them. Yeah, it's only two original members at this point and it's a little karaoke-esque having other vocalists recreate sampled lyrics, but the band sounded good, especially the excellent drummer, and it was cool to see Robbie and Tony on stage. I know some people left partway into the set, as happens at most sets at Coachella, but it seemed like the sizable crowd that remained was really into it. Lots of people jumping up and down, fun party vibe.

Songs included:
    Because I'm Me
    Frankie Sinatra
    Subways
    Flight Tonight
    Avalanche Rock
    Electricity
    Noisy Eater
    Guns of Brixton (Clash cover)
    Snippet of Know Your Rights (Clash cover)
    Frontier Psychiatrist
    Since I Left You

They had posted previously that Jennifer Herrema was going to join them for Stepkids at their "L.A." show, which I'd hoped would include Coachella. But no.

Oh good, I'm not the only one who hates "Frankie Sinatra". The praise that song received at first just baffled me. (I like the rest of Wildflower.)

I'm looking forward to this set W2, but I was definitely curious how they'd pull off a live show to begin with, and I'm keeping my expectations moderate from this thread.

[their big return]
    that was last year.
    This was their first show in the U.S. in 15 years. How is that not a return? I don't think most attendees at Coachella had the opportunity to see them in 2016 in Europe or Australia.

Coachella 2017
    Solange April 21

I had a great time and I thought the live reinterpretations of their songs worked pretty well. Sure, there were some annoying technical problems at the beginning and I was hoping for a few extra guest vocalists but overall I thought they did a good job. It felt like they were finally settling more into their groove towards the end so I'd imagine with a few more shows under their belt they've got the ingredients for an awesome show.
    After their sloppy but fun set at Primavera this was a fine return and I hope to catch them again if they add more dates after Pitchfork.

101918 | Mercury Rev Tractor Tavern
    111718 | The Orb Nectar Lounge
    121318 | Polo & Pan The Crocodile
    122718 | Thievery Corporation Showbox
    88-1219 | The Boaty Weekender Barcelona to Cagliari

I'm not the biggest fan of Frankie Sinatra but I think it's kinda fun live.
    Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    Uhh, Gil Scott-Heron is kinda dead, dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymous96 View Post
    Whoops lol, that's what happens with my piss poor knowledge of rap

they played radio, thats all i needed. was a great set, muchhhhh better than their primavera set.
    '07, '10, '11, '12 Wk1, '13 Wk1, '13 Wk2, '14 Wk1, '14 Wk2, '15 Wk1, '15 Wk2, '16 Wk1, '16 Wk2

I really enjoyed the set, it looked like they were still feeling it out and it wasnt quite 100% rehearsed, but overall enjoyable and fun set.
    Upcoming Shows:
    Metallica: 9/08 @ Alerus Center
    Riot Fest: 9/14-16 @ Douglas Park
    Bad Religion: 9/15 @ Bottom Lounge
    Metallica: 10/16 @ Wisconsin Entertainment and Sports Center
    Metallica: 3/09 @ KFC Yum! Center

Biggest disappointment of the weekend for me. Not sure I should have expected anything different given recent live reviews. Technical problems at the start plus a dragged out version of Frankie Sinatra killed it for me

I'm excited I'm seeing their full show tonight at a small club and thinking I might skip them at Coachella.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

Yeah.....this is the best way to describe it. I did like the set, I did have some fun, but it wasn't really tight.
    How many headlines can you make out of the 2016 lineup? i.e. "Young monsters moon strangers for pure horror."