Page 39 of 130 FirstFirst ... 3435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 3881

Thread: The REAL Coachella 2018 Rumors/Confirmations Thread

Default Re: The REAL Coachella 2018 Rumors/Confirmations Thread

Quote Originally Posted by seanc3 View Post
    Still. In the last 4 years we've had 3of the best rock names of the last 10 years (AF, Jack White, LCD) and on top of that 3 of the biggest rock bands ever (ACDC/GNR/Radiohead) and debatably the biggest/best hip-hop artist right now (Kdot). They've pulled 3 huge reunions with LCD GnR and Outkast. Sure Calvin Harris is cheese, but he's the biggest and most successful EDM star. He's got 5 albums and has built his way through the music scene and through Coachella. It's definitely a different festival, but that doesn't mean PT is just gonna book The Chainsmokers at debatably the biggest and most popular festival in the entire world.
    Yup. I don't know how many ways to point out that every Coachella headliner ever besides Calvin Harris and Jack Johnson had a high quality catalog and had existed for years with at least three (2 for Stone Roses) albums when they were booked. The festival has changed, but the headline booking has objectively not, in those regards.

Quote Originally Posted by silver06 View Post
    It seems like just bad business for GV to overpay for the Chainsmokers to headline when they can sub or third and pay another act headliner money.
    There's a really simple question to ask whenever a suspect headliner name pops up: If GV offered them a high 2nd line placement, do they legitimately have the clout to turn it down and demand a headliner slot?

The answer with the Chainsmokers is clearly no. And unless you're a redditard or get off pretending that a Coachella metamorphosis into EDC is imminent, it's not a close call.
    Last edited by mrhand; 09-11-2017 at 05:54 PM.

The real question Tollet and co need to ask is

are we having fun. yet?

4/15: Tama Sumo @ Seattle
    4/25: Rolling Coastal Blackout Fever, Sloucher @ The Crocodile
    4/27-30: Stagecoach
    5/16: Mount Kimbie @ Neumo's
    5/25-27: Sasquatch

Quote Originally Posted by santasutt View Post
    While you have some solid points there, Mitch, my inner Mr.Hand wants to tell you get the fuck on outa here.
    It's already more discussion of the Chainsmokers than I ever possibly imagined having.

The bottom line is that the Arcade Fires and Kanyes and even Beyoncés of the world are all in their late thirties and forties now. Their biggest fans are in their late thirties and forties now. It's willfully ignorant to pretend that the preferences of actual young people don't matter or can be explained away by some arbitrary measure of quality, particularly when it's the very navel gazing debate about "what does this festival even stand for now?" that we've been having for years.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

I need 4 passes for W1. PM me when you skids are ready to dump yours.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    HA! Best post from the past 10+ pages alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Smooches. =)
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Shut it down.

Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    My favorite part of this is the fact that 18 months ago, the Chainsmokers were billed AT THE END OF THE THIRD FUCKING LINE. Below Death Grips, Cold War Kids, and fucking Christ Stapleton on their day.
    But previous placement doesn't necessarily dictate where an artist will be placed their next time playing, even if it was just 2 years ago. I've seen some say Alessia Cara could be a top 3-4 act or even sub, and she was on the very bottom line in 2016.

With that said, The Chainsmokers aren't fking headlining next year.

I don't think the Chainsmokers headlining would be that surprising despite being very disappointing. It's the combo of Beyonce - The Weeknd - The Chainsmokers that makes me not believe this at all. I just don't see them going for three pop headliners.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The real question Tollet and co need to ask is

are we having fun. yet?
    Nickelback confirmed
    10' - 11' - 12' W2 - 13' W1 - 14' W1 - 15' W1 - 16' W1 - 17' W1

You're not on the lineup no one wants to see u dj. Stop. Especially if you're going to play Calvin Harris u fuckin knob... - Reeber

RESPECT THE FORMULA - Guedita

Quote Originally Posted by GlitterFart View Post
    I don't think the Chainsmokers headlining would be that surprising despite being very disappointing. It's the combo of Beyonce - The Weeknd - The Chainsmokers that makes me not believe this at all. I just don't see them going for three pop headliners.
    This. unless its Arctic Monkeys co headlined with Chainsmokers.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    It's willfully ignorant to pretend that the preferences of actual young people don't matter
    Literally nobody is saying or doing this.

or can be explained away by some arbitrary measure of quality, particularly when it's the very navel gazing debate about "what does this festival even stand for now?" that we've been having for years.
    How am I being arbitrary? Longevity is objective. 99% of Coachella headliners had at least three albums, and the one outlier had 2 albums + was a reunion. The Chainsmokers have one album. Aggregated critic reviews are the closest thing to objectivity when it comes to quality, and 94% of headliners would average a 70 or above at the time they were booked. The Chainsmokers scored a 43. Those are not arbitrary measures, and no matter how much you think the festival's changed, those facts have not, so I'm not sure why you think they would now. I'm not guaranteeing they don't headline, but to act like having them headline is "just part and parcel of what the festival has become" is insane and objectively false.

Quote Originally Posted by GlitterFart View Post
    This is another good point.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    I'll take whatever's left after gunz gets his.
    Last edited by braundiggity; 09-12-2017 at 09:12 AM.

You are literally turning into Bumblebee

You are literally turning into Bumblebee
    I'm repeatedly pointing out an overwhelming precedent to make a point, one that you continue to ignore or disregard without explaining why. Bumblebee's more into busting out random financial numbers and such. Y'know, like this:

Does five minutes of internet research, sees that the Chainsmokers brought in $38 million in booking fees in the last year, have had 5 top ten hits in the last 2 years.

Staph. This was in response to the basic question of "are they big enough?" which seems to have been in dispute originally. I wasn't trying to retrofit every previous headliner into some formula involving Metacritic scores and "longevity" which I think we all agree doesn't actually exist.

If you think it is coincidence that Coachella has an overwhelming history of booking headliners that have been around awhile and are at least relative critical darlings, fair enough. I do not. I don't even know that this is because PT/GV really cares about quality or longevity so much as it is that he/they care about good press and the quality of the brand. Those shitty reviews all came from that press that they care about, and those outlets will all write articles on the Coachella lineup announcement. Most of the press I've ever seen about the Chainsmokers makes fun of them. Even now, they're in hot water for a racist comment. If they have the Chainsmokers headline, it'll make the lineup a joke.

Again, it's possible! There's just a lot more reason to think it won't happen than to think it will, just because a dude on Reddit claimed it is so.
    Last edited by braundiggity; 09-12-2017 at 09:53 AM.

I do wish we had anything besides the Chainsmokers to discuss, though. The rumors/confirmations have felt very thin so far this year.

Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    If you think it is coincidence that Coachella has an overwhelming history of booking headliners that have been around awhile and are at least relative critical darlings, fair enough. I do not. I don't even know that this is because PT/GV really cares about quality or longevity so much as it is that he/they care about good press and the quality of the brand. Those shitty reviews all came from that press that they care about, and those outlets will all write articles on the Coachella lineup announcement. Most of the press I've ever seen about the Chainsmokers makes fun of them. Even now, they're in hot water for a racist comment. If they have the Chainsmokers headline, it'll make the lineup a joke.

Again, it's possible! There's just a lot more reason to think it won't happen than to think it will, just because a dude on Reddit claimed it is so.
    Yes Coachella sold out a long time ago. They only care about what's hot and brings in all the fake materail bitches with their sponsorship. They had no problem allowing The Weeknd to headline over Jack White last minute. Would not be surprised to see a Chainsmokers and Beyonce weekend.

But he didn't headline over Jack White. That's the point. He played after Jack, which is something that they've done since 2005, at least. (And I think this is what'll happen with the Chainsmokers, if they're actually playing)

I do wish we had anything besides the Chainsmokers to discuss, though. The rumors/confirmations have felt very thin so far this year.
    I heard Foo Fighters are playing

It's so weird how so many of you dorks (just Klein and handtoday but they've been more) go from 0-red pill/MRA talk when discussing Coachella selling out

old school

Quote Originally Posted by slinkybutt View Post
    It's so weird how so many of you dorks (just Klein and handtoday but they've been more) go from 0-red pill/MRA talk when discussing Coachella selling out
    What does this mean

The rumors/confirmations have felt very thin so far this year.
    This

What does this mean
    AGGRO-INCEL

4/15: Tama Sumo @ Seattle
    4/25: Rolling Coastal Blackout Fever, Sloucher @ The Crocodile
    4/27-30: Stagecoach
    5/16: Mount Kimbie @ Neumo's
    5/25-27: Sasquatch

old school

Couple non-headliner things to take our minds off GV potentially giving a headlining slot to two guys who list their dick sizes on their band's website:

-FYF promoted show at the Greek for Haim just announced. With GV shows for Haim, War on Drugs, Odesza, Lana del Rey, and Fleet Foxes coming up shortly, they're making the second line a bit obvious.

-'18 Laneway Festival in Australia announced yesterday. Usually decent (6-8ish) act overlap. From that lineup, I can see War on Drugs, Slowdive, Anderson Paak, Sylvan Esso, Tokimonsta, Odesza, Sandy Alex G, and Wolf Alice.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueBus View Post
    Any realistic 80s bands for this year? Can't see any headliner reunions like The Smiths, R.E.M or Genesis. But what about someone like Tears for Fears? Echo & the Bunnymen?
    A-Ha have mentioned they are doing 2018 dates in the US. I think it's a bad fit, but interesting to consider.

This terrible Korean boy band hanging out with the Chainsmokers have a better chance of headlining Coachella than the Chainsmokers.

Sorry I'm pretty much copy/pasting my post from a different thread, but maybe this will take the attention off the Chainsmokers for a couple minutes lol?
    Some possible Jamiroquai related fest speculation
    Quote Originally Posted by fiopadp7791 View Post
    http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...-again-podcast
    http://www.podbean.com/media/share/dir-p2wri-2c99e44

so to add a little false hope fuel to the fire, lead singer Jason Kay recently did a podcast with Billboard due to the 20th anniversary of "Virtual Insanity" winning a bunch of VMAs (for pretty much still being in the running for coolest video ever). The podcast/interview is nothing special, but in the last 30 seconds of it, Jay Kay offers up without being asked- "Good news, I think we're coming to the states soon". !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is huge news, because they haven't toured the U.S. since 2005. They've relesed 2 albums and have been everywhere else since. But everywhere else they get top billing at fests and can sell out arenas, as opposed to being a "1-hit wonder (if they're known at all)" in the US that can maybe fill theaters/clubs.

So they've not been in a hurry to come back here since they don't get nearly the amount of support that they get elsewhere.

I've thought for years that the only thing would ever get them back here would be if they got a major festival booking. A major fest booking makes touring clubs/theaters here more viable to them.

So why Coachella, as opposed to just touring whenever or hitting up the summer fest circuit here?
    In the summer they always play Europe. They've headlined major fests and played arena dates since this past spring. Europe is their cash cow, and they'll always tour there over anywhere else in the summer. They have tour dates booked well into December, with those December dates being in South America. So maybe they venture north to the U.S. in January to play a string of tour dates then. But I'm not buying that for 3 reasons-
    1) As I've already mentioned, I feel like they need a major fest booking to make a U.S. Tour worthwhile/viable to them.
    2) Back in early 2012 they did a tour which started in South America and ventured as far north as Monterrey, Mexico by March of that year. They never announced any U.S. tour dates. They just went back to Europe after that date. All the venues they played on that tour? ARENAS
    3) Jason Kay is fighting a bad back and had to postpone a few tour dates earlier this summer. After a long stretch of touring, if he were to take a few months off around the new year to rest up, the timing of Coachella/spring tour makes perfect sense.

But regardless if he's booked to the fest or not- it would be a cruel joke if he lied to us on that podcast and we didn't get some sort of U.S. tour in 2018. Can't wait for an official announcement!
    Last edited by fiopadp7791; 09-13-2017 at 01:14 AM.
    If y'all fresh to death, then I'm deceased... -Kanye West
    Jamiroquai 2018 please. (HOLY SHIT THIS ACTUALLY HAPPENED!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    How is any of that ironic? On this board I absolutely expect terrible people to call other people terrible.

If The War on Drugs ISN'T there next year, I'm going to be pretty disappointed. New album is great.

That Jay Kay quote was interesting. He didn't sound 100% confident; maybe that's because they're still working out the details, or maybe he's not technically allowed to say until a lineup is announced. But at the least he wouldn't have said that if they weren't trying to come. Coachella makes a ton of sense to me, in that Underworld/Royksopp vein, but could he also have been hinting at something like Day For Night?

Couple non-headliner things to take our minds off GV potentially giving a headlining slot to two guys who list their dick sizes on their band's website:

-FYF promoted show at the Greek for Haim just announced. With GV shows for Haim, War on Drugs, Odesza, Lana del Rey, and Fleet Foxes coming up shortly, they're making the second line a bit obvious.

-'18 Laneway Festival in Australia announced yesterday. Usually decent (6-8ish) act overlap. From that lineup, I can see War on Drugs, Slowdive, Anderson Paak, Sylvan Esso, Tokimonsta, Odesza, Sandy Alex G, and Wolf Alice.
    Agreed, particularly for the GV-overlap acts. Is it worth mentioning those in the first post?

How empty will the tent be for Jamaroqui? I'm guessing Make Up sized crowd