Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Set Time Predictions 2017: FRIDAY

Default Re: Set Time Predictions 2017: FRIDAY

Set time predicting, my favorite kind of autism.

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

Any reason why so little acts Friday? Also I like to add I don't like Little Dragon playing earlier than they did in 2014 but it's still a sunset set but just saying.
    "HIGH END RAP MUSIC! GHETTO STADIUM SHIT! THEY AIN'T WANT US AT THE FESTIVALS
    NOW WE WILL RUN THEM!"
    -Kanye West

Also any chance of giving Mac Miller an 3pm/4pm Main Stage slot? He's pretty popular with this crowd and I know how this board (and the rest of the music world) feels about MTV but having a show on there can still make one very very popular in this day and age. I jsut don't see him tucked away in the Mojave against Dillion Francis and Radiohead.

Maybe give Mac Preservation's spot on the Main and give Tennis the closing spot or something.
    NOW WE WILL RUN THEM!"
    -Kanye West

Mac Miller easily could play main or outdoor, but at first glance he's one of the few strong options for a satisfying closer against Radiohead. There's got to be minimal overlap, he'd still pack the tent, and the energy would (probably? I haven't seen him live) be great for everyone in there.

Last time Radiohead headlined, they had some popular rap and EDM names going on at the same time (A$AP Rocky, Kaskade, etc). I think it'll be similar this time around.

True you're probably right. I do think Mac is more popular now than 1st mixtape ASAP but it makes sense so that everyone has options
    NOW WE WILL RUN THEM!"
    -Kanye West

I'm not sure when the last update was or what's been incorporated, but:

1. Father John Misty is definitely not playing the Outdoor at 6:40. That'd be a serious downgrade, and he has primo billing. Give him the mainstage 7:05, move Mac DeMarco down a slot to 5:50 main, put Capital Cities at 6:40 on the outdoor.

2. Raury and Francis & The Lights seem odd to me. Maybe move Raury to 5:25 Outdoor, Francis to 7:00 Gobi, and Jagwar Ma to 8:15 Gobi?

Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post

1. Father John Misty is definitely not playing the Outdoor at 6:40. That'd be a serious downgrade, and he has primo billing. Give him the mainstage 7:05, move Mac DeMarco down a slot to 5:50 main, put Capital Cities at 6:40 on the outdoor.

2. Raury and Francis & The Lights seem odd to me. Maybe move Raury to 5:25 Outdoor, Francis to 7:00 Gobi, and Jagwar Ma to 8:15 Gobi?
    I think Raury can do just fine in the Gobi. Saw him play Bowery Ballroom at the end of 2015 here in NYC and it only holds 575. He hasnt released any new music since then either. Not sure how you think he'd get a Sunset spot on the Outdoor.
    2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

02/25 - Ignite @ Webster Hall
    02/26 - Run The Jewels & GLK @ Terminal 5
    04/21-04/23 - Coachella Weekend 2
    04/28 - Bonobo @ Terminal 5
    05/03 - Tycho @ Brooklyn Steel

5:25 ain't sunset. I think he could totally work in the Gobi as well, but I think: A) Jagwar Ma is more likely to get a night set, and that timing/their billing is close to Rufus du Sol last year; B) Raury (from the few songs I've heard) has a vibe that I think would play well Outdoor in the afternoon, and C) Francis needs to stay in a tent.

Bingo. FJM is totally being set up for main this time around, and even if Mac has to play main, there's no reason he can't do it at 6:00 +/- when that was good enough for CHVRCHES, Foals, and The 1975 last year. Hell, he could even do it around 5:00 like RTJ or Matt & Kim who are much better matches for his billing.

FJM sunset main is kind of a no brainer, guys:

-Billed for it
    -Was late outdoor last time
    -Billed main on FYF
    -Can banter about the crazies prepping for EotS or TScott

I've pushed for it before and really have no clue why we'd bill Mac in that primetime spot.

Yeah, the FJM move is easily the most obvious fix I saw glancing through our predictions right now.

Also, given that Capital Cities played the outdoor last time, there really isn't even a clear cut reason why it can't go Capital Cities --> Mac DeMarco --> FJM --> EOTS/Travis --> The XX --> Radiohead on the main. That works, right?

I think we're gonna see another early Main Stage hip-hop set. 2015 was Vic Mensa, 2016 was Joey Badass. I'm thinking Raury or Denzel Curry.

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    Also, given that Capital Cities played the outdoor last time, there really isn't even a clear cut reason why it can't go Capital Cities --> Mac DeMarco --> FJM --> EOTS/Travis --> The XX --> Radiohead on the main. That works, right?
    Yeah, that totally works, and Jagwar Ma at 6:40 on the outdoor works. Maybe could move preservation hall jazz band over to the outdoor too, a la Kamasi?

Denzel Curry Commanded the stage at FYF. The dude is crazy energy, he could handle a early main set.
    you are soooooooo good lookin

Especially if we don't have Travis Scott on our main, Denzel in the morning could be a nice fit.

Last time Preservation Hall was in a tent, and I'm not sure that'll change. There's a wide variety of ages in that group as opposed to Kamasi Washington's ensemble, and as such I think a shaded tent may be the best fit. Think where they slotted Mavis last year. The older performers don't often get thrown out in the blazing sun (Charles Bradley being a notable exception).

We got Vic AND Action Bronson back to back in 2015 to open the Main Stage. It was great.
    '11 '12 '13 '14 '15 '16 '17

Flipped FJM with Mac DeMarco. Currently trying to figure out the best way to put Preservation Hall in a tent (even though I disagree), and how to put Denzel Curry on the Main.
    My old account "Mikey1313666" is down for whatever reason.

If you're sold on Preservation on main, it's not impossible to have Denzel play before them. It's not like he's billed high.

Also can explain why Coachella starts so late on this? It's weird lol
    NOW WE WILL RUN THEM!"
    -Kanye West

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    I think that's just a reality of missing 5 acts compared to last year.

Mikey, out of curiosity, can you make the Clashfinders go the opposite direction (so headliners are at the top), since that's how Coachella formats it? Most other fests seem to have headliners at the bottom, so this might just be how it has to be.

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    48 acts vs. 56 on Friday 2016.

Sort of like Friday 2015 when there were only 47 acts on the poster and we were like, "how the fuck are we going to fill out this day?"

What happened there is (a) the headliner played two and a half hours, (b) Mojave was silent from 11-1, (c) Gobi was silent from 12-1, (d) Yuma closed early, and (e) there were a couple small scale bands that weren't on the posters opening it up.

Do we think Radiohead will get some silent tents with primarily the Sahara running opposite them, just like 2015?

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JRam25 View Post
    We got Vic AND Action Bronson back to back in 2015 to open the Main Stage. It was great.
    B.o.B and De La Soul were back to back in 2010 on the Main

Azealia and RTJ in 2015, right?
    2/21: Weyes Blood, Half Waif, 20 Minute Loop, Young Moon @ Swedish American Hall
    2/22: Uniform, Black Marble, Mall Walk, Blank Square @ Starline Social Club
    2/23: Hot Toddies, Great Apes, Brasil
    2/23: Japanese Breakfast, Miya Folick, Dante Elephante, Flying Circles @ Rickshaw Stop
    2/23: Julien Baker @GAMH
    2/24: OCD, Trash Vampire, Phosphene
    2/24: This Will Destroy You, Emma Ruth Rundle @ The Independent
    2/24: Dr. Rubenstein, Erika, Christina Chatfield @ Monarch

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Azealia and RTJ in 2015, right?
    Nah, RTJ was main in 2016 but in a tent in 2015.

Makes me sad thinking about that. Azealia was absolutely phenomenal. What a fall she's had.

braun beat me so I'll edit to say I think:

-Denzel early main
    -Cap Cities 8 PM outdoor feels more right to be than 4:30ish main. They played in the light last time.

Mikey, out of curiosity, can you make the Clashfinders go the opposite direction (so headliners are at the top), since that's how Coachella formats it? Most other fests seem to have headliners at the bottom, so this might just be how it has to be.

I get thrown off by other festivals when they have the headliners at the bottom like Lolla, Bonnaroo, and OSL.
    '11 '12 '13 '14 '15 '16 '17

Based on their billing, why would FJM play before EOTS?

Quote Originally Posted by GlitterFart View Post
    Based on their billing, why would FJM play before EOTS?
    EOTS is essentially a light show masquerading as a band.

Does it take time to set-up/breakdown EOTS sets? How elaborate is their show? I'm thinking they close Outdoor.