Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bonnaroo 2017

Default Re: Bonnaroo 2017

Ouch!
    Coachella '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12 W1, '13 W1&2, '14 W1, '15 W1&2, '16 W1, '17 W1 &/or 2

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

Weakkkkkkk
    *CROSSOVERCHELLA*

Beyonce * Kendrick Lamar * The XX * Future
    *Schoolboy Q * Hans Zimmer* Gucci Mane* Little Dragon * Bonobo
    *Thundercat * Travis Scott * Sampha * Empire of the Sun * Tycho

Will they give in and sell single day tickets for U2 is the question.

Michael Kiwanuka seems to be hitting lots of festivals this year. It's really a bummer Coachella didn't get him.

It's as if they took everything awful about last year's lineup and doubled down on it.

At least Twitter seems to like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by EdithBunker View Post
    You've been huffing way too much of that cold air up there, your brain is definitely frozen.

This is what happens with Live Nation. Good luck next year!

1/27 Stenny/Andrea @ TBA
    1/27 Yan Cook/stranger (NL) @ Unter
    1/28 Laurent Garnier @ Output
    1/29 Mogwai @ Town Hall

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Quote Originally Posted by GolfWang View Post
    Michael Kiwanuka seems to be hitting lots of festivals this year. It's really a bummer Coachella didn't get him.
    Kiwanuka and Kevin Morby are the only two artists they got and we didn't that I wish we had this year.

Kiwanuka would be top five in this year's entire Coachella lineup for me personally if he was added - Love me some Love & Hate, one of 2016's very best albums.

Unlike some here, I would love to see U2 headline some day, but just going to congratulate Bonnaroo on being first American fest to land them rather than complain about the awesome headliners we got this year - best Coachella headlining trio since Roger Waters/Prince/and that other guy that came super cheap in '08.
    Radiohead - The Xx - Father John Misty - Bonobo - DJ Shadow - Guided By Voices - Preservation Hall Jazz Band - King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - The Interrupters - Klangstof

Beyonce - Bon Iver - Nicholas Jarr - Tycho - Four Tet - The Avalanches - Banks & Steelz - Car Seat Headrest - Mitski - Floating Points

Kendrick Lamar - New Order - Future Islands - Hans Zimmer - Toots & The Maytals - Devendra Banhart - Lee Fields & The Expresions - Whitney - Preoccupations - Hinds - Ezra Furman - Pond

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

I'd just eat drugs at my camp site

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Holy crap, I didn't think Roo could drop this low with line up quality. I mean did they figure we have U2 and let's not spend money on anything else?
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    It's as if they took everything awful about last year's lineup and doubled down on it.

At least Twitter seems to like it.
    U2 halo in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Uhh this lineup was really expensive even without U2. They probably spent more than Coachella

#7/8 acts are #5/6 at Coachella, which is kinda interesting - thought Lorde and xx would be billed higher. They're clearly hoping a big top line sells it. We'll see.

Another lineup with Chance, when we missed him. And I'd be down with U2 (not over our headliners). Otherwise mehhhh

I think I'd rather see U2 with their own production. Not sure it's possible with in a festival setting.

For top line billing comparisons

Man does this lineup fall off a cliff about 8 acts in. They removed Martin Garrix so Marshmello is #11 overall here (#9 on his day at Coachella). Tove Lo #17 overall here; #18 on her day at Coachella.

I'm just not sure I see the strategy here. U2 is obviously an enormous get, but doesn't rile up the diehard Bonnaroo fanbase and I doubt any of their fans will camp in the Tennessee sun for 5 days over just catching a stadium show elsewhere. RHCP is laziness. They're spending big money on acts everyone has had a chance to see the last 18 month if they are interested in festival (Major Lazer, Flume, etc.). There's not really anything unique or interesting. Considering this is over four days, it seems like a pretty weak offering.

I like Bonnaroo, attended before, but just seems like they're continuing to move the ship in an odd direction.

Quote Originally Posted by slinkybutt View Post
    Uhh this lineup was really expensive even without U2. They probably spent more than Coachella
    Well it all went to 5 or 6 acts, the rest are getting paid in weed brownies it seems.

Bonnaroo really should have been investing in the experience over the last 5 years, the way Coachella has. There are just so many festivals now, and often at least one major one near any given big city, all of them generally sharing similar acts, that the lineups cannot be the differentiator for a destination fest anymore. It almost seems like they just didn't see that coming.

Coachella's expanded the Sahara, a tent unlike any other major US festival's; it added the Yuma, which is also unique to the big fests; it added those insane main stage screens this past year; it has the do lab; it has expanded its food and beverage options; it has the biggest overall lineup of any US fest. Even the way they've added chandeliers to the Gobi is nice. Bonnaroo has...the superjam and super-late night sets, which it's always had and which - from what I can tell - are not as good as they used to be. Toss in that you have to camp, that it's humid and hot as hell, and that it's a trek to get to, and it's easy to see why they're floundering.

U2 alone is not enough to get that many people to a festival. Everything else is just throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks.

The future is dubious for this festival anyway...they should have just doubled down on a "return to roots" lineup when there's so much floating around that could work. Flume/Big Gigantic/Pretty Lights should have been the EDM cornerstones, keep Chance, and then a little A Tribe Called Quest here, a little Dolly Parton there, steal half the Lock'n lineup, throw in some regulars like Avett Brothers and Jim Jones, Gucci Mane as a fun booking, some Bonobo...

With U2 locked, maybe stretch for Tool or another headliner that might convince diehards to travel, maybe even promote Chance to headliner if the other two are too expensive.

I mean at that point they'd at least differentiate themselves and see if they can get diehards to return and keep the format alive, because even though this is a kiddie friendly lineup, they'd rather see these EDM acts in a festival that already exists in Miami or Chicago or Las Vegas rather than a dirty, humid farm in Tennessee.

Really, really bummed for them because I think this might be the end.

Yep, you hit the nail on the head. No reason to deal with the terrible conditions on the farm for a paint by numbers festival with U2. I don't even know if a return to roots thing will work anymore with all the other hippie fests happening nowadays. Do they even get to 60% ticket sales this year?

Fucking terrible.
    12/16-18 Day for Night

Quote Originally Posted by Vasoline Groove View Post
    I don't even know if a return to roots thing will work anymore with all the other hippie fests happening nowadays.
    Ultimately, Roo has the large scale budget that the up and comers don't though. They could conceivably land some big "gets" along the lines of Dave Matthews/Tim Reynolds, A Tribe Called Quest, Tool, etc. and then sprinkle their undercard with most of the heavy hitters from, say, Lock'n with room for some wook friendly hip-hop, EDM, and country on top of that. If somebody who was planning on going to Lock'n could see most of the same jam bands with U2, Tool, ATCQ, Chance, and Pretty Lights/Flume/Big Gigantic on top of that, I think they'd switch back to Roo, at least for one year.

I think they had time to still sway people back this year with some huge names, but not with what they put out.

I'm going mostly for a chance to see U2 from 50 feet away and because Bonnaroo has the best community of any fest I've attended. Yeah the middle of the lineup is a bit weak but it's still my favorite fest outside of Coachella. If it gets much worse than this I'm out though
    Bay Area raised / LA living.
    Digital Content Producer for NFL.com
    Started my own music blah-g. PassTheAux.

COACHELLAS: '14 W2 / '15 W1 W2 / '16 W1 W2

old school

Quote Originally Posted by silver06 View Post
    I'm just not sure I see the strategy here. U2 is obviously an enormous get, but doesn't rile up the diehard Bonnaroo fanbase and I doubt any of their fans will camp in the Tennessee sun for 5 days over just catching a stadium show elsewhere.
    Which 2017 u2 show do fans in this region of the US see without stepping on an airplane? Texas/Florida/Chicago/Cleveland?

Hey bumblez, you ever think U2 doesn't tour there bc they don't do well there?

Maybe I'm just a yankee snob, but I doubt U2 is a huge deal in the south

old school

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniQ View Post
    Unlike some here, I would love to see U2 headline some day, but just going to congratulate Bonnaroo on being first American fest to land them
    3rd US festival after US Fest 1983 and Tibetan Freedom Randall's Island 1997. First time headlining a US Fest. Might be the first time they ever headlined a "for profit" festival anywhere in the world.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by slinkybutt View Post
    Hey bumblez, you ever think U2 doesn't tour there bc they don't do well there?

Maybe I'm just a yankee snob, but I doubt U2 is a huge deal in the south
    360 tour did 41k in Nashville and 61k in Atlanta. I think Atlanta has a new stadium as well, which would have guaranteed business.

Tempe-Phoenix/Denver are also very odd omissions for the JT30 tour as well, given the Rattle Hum filming.

One of the bands most production recording session was at Sun in Memphis in 1987.

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    Ultimately, Roo has the large scale budget that the up and comers don't though. They could conceivably land some big "gets" along the lines of Dave Matthews/Tim Reynolds, A Tribe Called Quest, Tool, etc. and then sprinkle their undercard with most of the heavy hitters from, say, Lock'n with room for some wook friendly hip-hop, EDM, and country on top of that. If somebody who was planning on going to Lock'n could see most of the same jam bands with U2, Tool, ATCQ, Chance, and Pretty Lights/Flume/Big Gigantic on top of that, I think they'd switch back to Roo, at least for one year.

I think they had time to still sway people back this year with some huge names, but not with what they put out.
    The hippies would rather see two or three sets or multiple nights from The Dead and Co or Phish than seeing U2 and ATCQ with just one set/night for Dead or Phish. Thats why they go to Lockn or Suwanee. Multiple sets/nights are a big selling point.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasma Del Mar View Post
    A) #Pissgate originated from 4chan.
    B) You are correct.
    You should know better than to trust 4chan
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

U2 are one of my favorite bands and they cant even save that lineup
    Just awful

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post

I'm not sure a full return-to-roots move would be the way to go, but embracing top-40 radio as they're half-assedly doing is absolutely the wrong move. Personally, I think they they should simply stop aiming for 80,000 attendees and shoot for 40k (which is a low enough number that they're weeding out people who don't want to deal with the environment); embrace smaller headliners (think: Sasquatch) but shoot for serious radius clauses; drop the comedy thing entirely (I've never understood that); consider giving acts full set times (a potentially great differentiator for them); and make at least one or two of their stages truly unique in some Yuma/Sahara/Do Lab-esque manner (hell, since they own the farm, they could build permanent installations). There are a ton of smaller festivals they could learn from and build off of with that big budget. And maybe once they've established it as the kind of festival you go to regardless of the lineup, they could try to grow it again.

But Live Nation wants them to be as big as Coachella, so I have no expectation they'll figure it out, and once LN gives up on it, the festival dies, right?