Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell Us About 2017 Releases

Default Re: Tell Us About 2017 Releases

Finally listened to the new Japandroids. I liked it -- it sounds like them. The barstool-punk-poet thing is getting a little more forced each time out, but the songs are good. Not sure why people think it's terrible if they liked the band previously. "No Known Drink or Drug" is the only bummer of a song (in my opinion).

Gave the new Cloud Nothings a cursory listen and liked what I heard. Definitely more mellow, but need to listen when I can pay closer attention.

The new Ty Segall record is basically a distillation of all of the things he does well, and it's a good showcase for all of his sides musically. I think it's another one where, if you enjoy him, you will probably dig it.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Is Priest different than Priests?

This Priests track has been on repeat for me:

I'm feeling this. Need to check out the whole thing.

I've listened three times and it's really good. That said, no songs are getting stuck in my head yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I've listened three times and it's really good. That said, no songs are getting stuck in my head yet.
    Which album? Priests?

Yep.

I really enjoy the other three you posted about. The Ty Segall is my favorite of the year thus far.

Yep.

I really enjoy the other three you posted about. The Ty Segall is my favorite of the year thus far.
    Awesome, I'm glad to hear you like it -- if you do, I probably will as well. I definitely need to give more spins to the other three I mentioned. I am so behind on listening in general. It's hard to keep up.

I get to do a bunch of listening every day while I'm driving to and from work, so I've been as up to date the past three years as I was in college.

Speaking of which, today's listening has been dominated by a truly masterful album that any soul or funk fan needs to check out. Miles Mosley - Uprising comes out of the West Coast Get Down, the collective that also features Kamasi Washington and Thundercat. This record leans heavy into soul/funk a la Stevie Wonder and Curtis Mayfield, and it just drives hard hard hard. I liked Childish Gambino's record from last year, but if you're looking to do a killer throwback soul/funk record, this is how it's done. I have listened five times today, and the record is simply stunning.

Loving the new Chinese Man "Shikantaza," which came out on Friday. Already listened to this a bunch. Loved the first few CM albums but the last two have been mediocre. This one is probably my favorite of theirs so far.

These are French DJs that specialize in hip hop and world music. If you like Wax Tailor or DJ Shadow you would probably like these guys. Surprised these guys haven't caught on in the US as they have a huge following in Europe and their live shows are off the charts.

Anybody hear Buscabulla? Friend recommended them, their new EP is pretty sweet.

On the Horizon

Camp Flog Gnaw Carnival - Dodger Stadium 11.10-11.11
    Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Palladium 12.08
    Childish Gambino - The Forum 12.16
    Thom Yorke - The Orpheum 12.19 & 12.20

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    Finally listened to the new Japandroids. I liked it -- it sounds like them. The barstool-punk-poet thing is getting a little more forced each time out, but the songs are good. Not sure why people think it's terrible if they liked the band previously. "No Known Drink or Drug" is the only bummer of a song (in my opinion).

Gave the new Cloud Nothings a cursory listen and liked what I heard. Definitely more mellow, but need to listen when I can pay closer attention.

The new Ty Segall record is basically a distillation of all of the things he does well, and it's a good showcase for all of his sides musically. I think it's another one where, if you enjoy him, you will probably dig it.
    Kind of agree on Japandroids. Obviously its not Celebration Rock but its decent enough. Still excited to see them in a few weeks

The new S.A.M. album is streaming here: https://soundcloud.com/xlr8r/sets/ex...dream-state-of and it's lovely - mellow, lush house.

I was pretty bummed with the new Strand of Oaks album on first listen. He went in a sort of....autotune direction? And it seemed kind of all over the place.

9/6: The War on Drugs, Land of Talk @ The Paramount

Thanks for the recommendation of the S.A.M. album...Was jamming that out last night in the after hours...

I've been enjoying the hell outta Moon Duo's Occult Architecture Vol. 1 which came out last week...It's in the same vein of their past works, but a bit more expansive with improved production...Fans of psych-krautrock should check it out...Here's one of my favorite tracks from the album:

Also the new Meatbodies came out today and it's some good shit...A nice step up from their debut album...The whole album is up on youtube but I'll be downloading a copy this weekend for sure.

"Money can't give what the truth takes away."

The new King Gizzard & The Wizard Lizard record, Flying Microtonal Banana, is another dandy. While their last one, Nonagon Infinity, was almost all in 7/8 time, this one is back to (mostly) 4/4. Some driving psych rock jams and a few slower grooves. A few spots have some heavier drumming than their last few albums. I don’t remember any flute in this one but I think I may have heard a bagpipe or two…

^ I prefer this King Gizz to Nonagon Infinity personally.

Just got through listening to Jens Lekman's Life Will See You Now ; Never heard of him before, and overall this album struck a chord with me instantly. Indie Pop that reminds me of belle & sebastian and it's perfect for a sunday morning vibe.
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Smooches. =)
    Shut it down.

Enjoyed the new The Sadies Northern Passages. Nothing innovative but catchy psych country rock.

Overall, 2017 is pretty slow for music me so far.
    5/23 Lena Wilikens @ F8 | 5/24 Las Sucias, Cube, Group Rhoda @ Hemlock Tavern | 5/26 Fever Ray @ Fox Theater | 5/30 Slowdive @ Filmore

Quote Originally Posted by tycobb667 View Post
    Also the new Meatbodies came out today and it's some good shit...A nice step up from their debut album...The whole album is up on youtube but I'll be downloading a copy this weekend for sure.
    I hadn't heard of them before this album but its great!

Quote Originally Posted by lt.roast.a.botch View Post
    Enjoyed the new The Sadies Northern Passages. Nothing innovative but catchy psych country rock.
    Ohhhhh this sounds right up my alley.
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    speculation strikes again.

The three new Mount Eerie songs that have been released ahead of the upcoming album are absolutely the most heartbreaking songs ever recorded.

9/22 The Mekons @ Pappy & Harriet's

The Meat Wave album is their best yet. Very bummed I skipped them last weekend (there was a conflict but i coooouuuld have finagled it)
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    Sappy

I second the moon duo rec. This one is a lot more multi-dimensional that the last one
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    Sappy

This new Future album is a banger. Best thing he's done since DS2

Courtneys - II is a great sunny lo fi female vocals garage band.
    Translation

Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    Not going to change the fact that you’re an idiot.

I haven't posted in a while... but just wanted to share I like the following so far this year.
    P.O.S - Chill, Dummy
    Barclay Crenshaw
    Syd - Fin
    Jon Wayne - Rap Album Two
    SiR - Her Too
    Your Old Droog & Wiki - What Happened To Fire?
    Thievery Corporation - The Temple of I & I

Listening to Tinariwen's Elwan now...also agree Sampha and new Cloud Nothings pretty good!

Quote Originally Posted by FEELS View Post
    The three new Mount Eerie songs that have been released ahead of the upcoming album are absolutely the most heartbreaking songs ever recorded.
    I've only heard this one, but I agree:

Also, I haven't heard a ton of his stuff overall. Recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post

This one's also extremely sad. I just bought tickets to see him play at the Hollywood cemetary in April, and wow that show is going to be fucking intense considering the new songs' subject matter. I'm almost second-guessing going because I'll probably just bawl my eyes out the whole time.

As for recommendations... you've listened to The Microphones right? That's the alias he used to make music under. The Glow Pt. 2, It Was Hot, We Stayed In The Water, and Don't Wake Me Up are some of my favorite albums of all time, check them out asap if you haven't already. His duet album with Julie Doiron of Eric's Trip (Lost Wisdom), Clear Moon, and Sauna are all more recent albums that he's done under the Mount Eerie name and they're all amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by nyarlathotoats View Post
    ^ I prefer this King Gizz to Nonagon Infinity personally.

Just got through listening to Jens Lekman's Life Will See You Now ; Never heard of him before, and overall this album struck a chord with me instantly. Indie Pop that reminds me of belle & sebastian and it's perfect for a sunday morning vibe.
    If you've never heard of Jens before then you've got some wonderful back catalog to work through if your interest is piqued - he's kind of an old fashioned crooner, but for my money one of the better lyricists of the last 15 or so years, can be drop dead funny sometimes, and there's just a pure love of music that seeps through in a lot of his work.

My personal fav album is the 2005 compilation of his early singles Oh Your So Silent Jens which contains early greats like Black Cab, the Rocky Dennis Songs, and Maple Leaves.

Night Falls Over Kortedela which contains probably his best known song A Postcard To Nina, and the nifty EP An Argument With Myself are also well worth checking out.
    Radiohead - The Xx - Father John Misty - Bonobo - DJ Shadow - Guided By Voices - Preservation Hall Jazz Band - King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - The Interrupters - Klangstof

Beyonce - Bon Iver - Nicholas Jarr - Tycho - Four Tet - The Avalanches - Banks & Steelz - Car Seat Headrest - Mitski - Floating Points

Kendrick Lamar - New Order - Future Islands - Hans Zimmer - Toots & The Maytals - Devendra Banhart - Lee Fields & The Expresions - Whitney - Preoccupations - Hinds - Ezra Furman - Pond

Quote Originally Posted by FEELS View Post
    This one's also extremely sad. I just bought tickets to see him play at the Hollywood cemetary in April, and wow that show is going to be fucking intense considering the new songs' subject matter. I'm almost second-guessing going because I'll probably just bawl my eyes out the whole time.

As for recommendations... you've listened to The Microphones right? That's the alias he used to make music under. The Glow Pt. 2, It Was Hot, We Stayed In The Water, and Don't Wake Me Up are some of my favorite albums of all time, check them out asap if you haven't already. His duet album with Julie Doiron of Eric's Trip (Lost Wisdom), Clear Moon, and Sauna are all more recent albums that he's done under the Mount Eerie name and they're all amazing.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post

That reminds me of Sun Kil Moon before he started yelling incoherently at clouds.
    Outside Lands 12, 13, 14
    Summer Sonic 05, 06, 07
    SxSW 16, 17, 18

new RIDE song on BBC

10/15 Public Image LTD @ Bk Steel
    10/14 & 15 Nine Inch Nails/The Jesus and Mary Chain/Daniel Avery @ Kings Theatre

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.