Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 111213141516

Thread: Tell Us About 2017 Releases

Default Re: Tell Us About 2017 Releases

Weezer, Pacific Daydream - Not a big Weezer fan but checked out their new album and it sounds a lot more poppier. Still didn't do anything for me, and I doubt their fans will like it as much either.

Yelawolf, Trial By Fire - Was hoping for more on this album. Really liked Love Story but this one is missing that same type of raw production. A couple of decent tracks but overall, disappointing.

Big K.R.I.T, 4eva is a Mighty Long Time - Too much of a mellow, jazz-style, laid back sound to me. I like Confetti but other than that, no bueno. Sure it will do great with the mainstream hip-hop audience.

Snoop, MACA - Funny themed short album. Not so much good material tho.

MO, When I Was Young EP - Nothing special for me here on these 6 songs but I hope her next full album will be good.
    Last edited by TheBlueBus; 11-02-2017 at 05:12 AM.

The Weezer album’s horrible. Almost Raditude level horrible. I thought he realised that disco sucks and that Pat should play the drums? After this long, you have to get used to Weezer pulling this stunt every so often. Blue and Pinkerton make it all worthwhile, I guess. Still EWBAITE and White had moments that made you think that these guys might be on to an uptick in form. But no, this is the kind of crap Cuomo pulls out. He has his reasons, no doubt, but it’s still crappy pop.
    Outside Lands 12, 13, 14
    Summer Sonic 05, 06, 07
    SxSW 16, 17, 18

I hate Weezer.

I hate Weezer so much that when they played Coachella and DIDN'T play their hits, I liked their show better. tru story.

New release that has captured my soul is the new Perfume Genius No Shape, also new Grizzly Bear Painted Ruins. Lately I am constantly listening to Perfume Genius, Banks, and I think I can start throwing new St Vincent Masseduction in there too. My job enables me to listen to a LOT of new music, which is fun. I have been delving into country folk, which is a Big Deal for me because I have always hated country, or at least I always told myself I did.

But I did see Iron & Wine on Sunday. What a fantastic show. Dude has his stage banter DOWN. I haven't listened to their latest album because, let's be fair, all their music sounds the same. Ok, let's be UNFAIR. But THAT VOICE. It could melt butter. Such a good show. I wish I could have seen the Jesca Hoop/Sam Iron&Wine tour. I did not recognize any of their songs from the past album or two I've listened to. They had light-up clouds on stage. LIGHT UP CLOUDS. I think I want that for car camping.
    I miss talking to TomAz.

We all do. I live in the same city as him (unless he relocated) and rumor has it that at 3:15am if you listen closely and its really really quiet you can hear him telling you to go fuck yourself.

i love this album https://rvgband.bandcamp.com/
    Translation

Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    Not going to change the fact that you’re an idiot.

Sam Smith's new album isn't as good as his first one imo. Kinda disappointed. Also, the new Kygo actually has a few songs I like on there. And yes, I hate myself now for saying that.

The new Eminem song is horrible. Beyonce only made it worse. Have fun with her LMAO

Ok I'm doing a thing which I believe I posted in the what I'm listening to now thread, but I will throw it here too (sorry Dani). My Spotify best of Friday new releases playlist. I have 21 songs on there:

https://open.spotify.com/user/amyzzz/playlist/790hVq9pd7IH0n6rSEETlK
    I miss talking to TomAz.

We all do. I live in the same city as him (unless he relocated) and rumor has it that at 3:15am if you listen closely and its really really quiet you can hear him telling you to go fuck yourself.

I really like https://open.spotify.com/track/73TuAKyAld030tWLT64w6W

the new Carly Rae Jepsen thing with BC Unidos. It sounds sort of mysterious indie and she sings over it.

Ok actually that entire Bicycle EP is amazing. Check it out. Charli XCX and Santigold sing on it too. Against type to the normal kind of crap they (the vocalists) put out.
    Last edited by amyzzz; 11-14-2017 at 08:30 AM.
    I miss talking to TomAz.

Glassjaw?! 12/1

https://www.amazon.com/Material-Cont.../dp/B0776222GC

New songs:
    49:15
    1:04:50
    1:12:23

10/15 Public Image LTD @ Bk Steel
    10/14 & 15 Nine Inch Nails/The Jesus and Mary Chain/Daniel Avery @ Kings Theatre

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Checked out some new releases over the weekend.

Tove Lo - Not very good, but I didn't expect it to be. I'd probably put this one behind her other two albums though.

Talib Kweli - Still love his rhyme style and content. Still dislike his production. Wish he had more beats like "Chips." That was a good track on there.

Bob Seger - Checked this out by accident really. Glad I did. Pretty good album imo.

Charlotte Gainsbourg's Rest is very much in the Cigarettes After Sex/Twin Peaks The Return/Beach House/the last Lykke Li vibe. I like it a lot.
    Outside Lands 12, 13, 14
    Summer Sonic 05, 06, 07
    SxSW 16, 17, 18

Digging Billy Corgan's stripped back album he did with Rubin more than I was prepared to. Has me delving back into the pumpkins too, man Siamese Dream just holds up so well. That guitar tone is one for the ages.

Damn, pretty disappointed in Hopsin's new album. He's still one of the best out lyrically but the beats weren't there for me on this one.

Same for Jadakiss and Fabulous new one. Has a couple of good songs but album as a whole is just decent.

Anyone have the new Miguel Album?

I been digging for November releases No Sister,The Living Eyes,Bed Wettin' bad boys, Fujiya & Miyagi, Equiknoxx, the new Uranium Club live album, Bjork, Exploded View, OSC.
    Translation

Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by SavageHenry101 View Post
    Charlotte Gainsbourg's Rest is very much in the Cigarettes After Sex/Twin Peaks The Return/Beach House/the last Lykke Li vibe. I like it a lot.
    This is a really good album, better than some of her others. She's got help from Air and daft Punk on this one, so that's part of it. She's a busy lady, what with Antichrist and Nymphomaniac movies.
    I miss talking to TomAz.

I wanted to like Caracara's Summer Monolith a lot more than I did for purely selfish reasons, but emo's still just not a genre I can truly vibe with.

9/6: The War on Drugs, Land of Talk @ The Paramount

Curtis Harding's Face Your Fear is my favorite soul record of 2017. The production and arrangements are a little reminiscent of last year's Michael Kiwanuka album, but Harding's voice is smoother and more often falsetto. Really moody and beautiful with some funkier stuff thrown in for good measure.
    Last edited by GolfWang; 11-29-2017 at 08:49 PM.

I usually don't like to completely judge an album until I've at least heard it a couple of times thru, but man, this new U2 album is not good. Only one time thru, but absolutely nothing at all stuck out to me. I'll take another listen but I'm pretty sure my opinion won't change much. And this isn't coming from someone who hates all U2's stuff. I actually liked Songs of Innocence.

dude that u2 album is complete fucking garabage and I like U2 a lot. Whatever that red flag song is title is such a chore to get through.
    Translation

Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    dude that u2 album is complete fucking garabage and I like U2 a lot. Whatever that red flag song is title is such a chore to get through.
    For reals. It really was a struggle to listen to some of those songs all the way through. Like damn Bono, come on.

Not sure if anyone has listened to U2's Songs of Experience, but it was a pretty solid listen. Not their best but not their worst. Get Out of Your Own Way was a good song. The Showman was a chill listen. I like the guitar melodies on just about every song. Great tone throughout. Man at least it wasn't like listening to that last Arcade Fire garbage album.

hahahahhahhaahhahahhaha
    you are soooooooo good lookin

Quote Originally Posted by GolfWang View Post
    Curtis Harding's Face Your Fear is my favorite soul record of 2017. The production and arrangements are a little reminiscent of last year's Michael Kiwanuka album, but Harding's voice is smoother and more often falsetto. Really moody and beautiful with some funkier stuff thrown in for good measure.
    This is sick. Good looking out.

yeah this is nice
    5/23 Lena Wilikens @ F8 | 5/24 Las Sucias, Cube, Group Rhoda @ Hemlock Tavern | 5/26 Fever Ray @ Fox Theater | 5/30 Slowdive @ Filmore

Anyone who, like me, loved the last (or any) King Creosote record will fall in love with Meursault's I Will Kill Again. We Scots really do twee melancholy as well as anyone, even if I do say so myself.
    Outside Lands 12, 13, 14
    Summer Sonic 05, 06, 07
    SxSW 16, 17, 18

Just got around to first listen of James Holden's latest The Animal Spirits - have no idea what I just listened to but boy does it have "sweep." and can't wait to listen again.

Any chance this guy will play Coachella this year, could see this material delivering full band chills live in a more amped up Bonobo sort of way.
    Radiohead - The Xx - Father John Misty - Bonobo - DJ Shadow - Guided By Voices - Preservation Hall Jazz Band - King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - The Interrupters - Klangstof

Beyonce - Bon Iver - Nicholas Jarr - Tycho - Four Tet - The Avalanches - Banks & Steelz - Car Seat Headrest - Mitski - Floating Points

Kendrick Lamar - New Order - Future Islands - Hans Zimmer - Toots & The Maytals - Devendra Banhart - Lee Fields & The Expresions - Whitney - Preoccupations - Hinds - Ezra Furman - Pond

Eminem, Revival - I gave it a few listens and I'm pretty disappointed overall. I love Em, but I'm not sure where he was going on this one, especially with regards to the production. Just didn't have enough classic Dre type beats or any good beats at all really. I like "Believe" but the entire album was filled with crap I couldn't get into. Lyrically, he's still nice, but the album as a whole falls flat imo. Probably the worst album he's ever put out.

G-Easy, The Beautiful and the Damned - As a rapper, Easy is nothing special for sure, but I did like his previous albums for the most part. This one, not so much tho. Only a couple of good tracks and probably my least album of his.

Jezzy, Pressure - Eh, nothing special. I've never really loved Jezzy but do like some of his stuff. This album was his typical sound tho, so if you like his older stuff, you'll will probably like this one.

Charlie XCX, Pop 2 - Not a big fan but have liked a couple of her songs so I checked out her new release. Man, that was just bad. Horrible. God awful. Crap.