Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ghost Ship

Default Ghost Ship

I haven't seen any discussion around here about it yet, but wanted to leave a link to the relief fund for anyone who may want to help. I found out last night a friend was working the event, and didn't make it out. Just an unbelievable tragedy.

https://www.youcaring.com/firevictim...c232016-706684

Default Re: Ghost Ship

Ghost Ship's "operator" or whatever we want to call him seems like quite the piece of shit. His facebook post regarding the tragedy was absolutely disgusting.
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    speculation strikes again.

I have been checking the boards for something on this. I assumed that I missed the thread and didn't want to create a duplicate one.

Cara and I talked about this a bit this weekend. So tragic. Just found out a guy that I went to high school with, Nick Gomez-Hall, was one of the first confirmed victims.

http://heavy.com/news/2016/12/oaklan...ip-california/
    Quote Originally Posted by involvelemons View Post
    Silent discos are like having sex with a virgin: really exciting in theory, extremely awkward in execution.
    Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    I bet Cara's gotten enough Twats on a Platter and Dick on a Stick to open her own Trolls to Go snack shop.

braundiggity, so sorry to hear about your friend. The bay and the world lost some really fucking cool people. Johnny was just the best dude.

Here are some links to some of the crazy talented musicians we lost.

https://cherushii.bandcamp.com/

https://nacktmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://soundcloud.com/nacktmusic

https://soundcloud.com/daisrecords/t...-us-too-us-now

Seriously, fuck this year.
    Last edited by guedita; 12-05-2016 at 10:13 AM.

9/6: The War on Drugs, Land of Talk @ The Paramount

^That is a cool tattoo!

Is this the music you were telling me about Saturday? I know you said that you were going to post some of johnny's stuff.
    Silent discos are like having sex with a virgin: really exciting in theory, extremely awkward in execution.
    I bet Cara's gotten enough Twats on a Platter and Dick on a Stick to open her own Trolls to Go snack shop.

I'm sorry to all those who lost people. Just a terrible loss and seems like there was some serious negligence going on.

I'm never on here until Coachella but my wife and I have been watching this story unfold since we're local, and are devastated and horrified. A fairly recent graduate of the school my wife teaches at was confirmed deceased, and her co-workers have been distraught. I had a sad suspicion that some on here likely knew victims, and I'm sorry to find out that was the case. I'm so sorry for all of your losses. They seemed like wonderful, creative people with so much life ahead of them.

relevant to this board's interest: Nackt had a Plastikman vinyl up on the decks moments before the fire broke out.

a real shame what happened. sorry for your losses. seemed like a real cool place to go and be expressive. had a friend who did the same where I live, it was such an escape without any issues from neighbors or authorities. it is also unfortunate that the guy who seems to be in charge comes off as a real jerk off. reports make it sound like he took advantage of peoples living conditions and another mans property. hope they find out how it all started.
    10' - 11' - 12' W2 - 13' W1 - 14' W1 - 15' W1 - 16' W1 - 17' W1

You're not on the lineup no one wants to see u dj. Stop. Especially if you're going to play Calvin Harris u fuckin knob... - Reeber

RESPECT THE FORMULA - Guedita

Sending positive vibes to all those who were impacted by this terrible tragedy.
    I live in the Bay Area and I just wanted to say how appreciative i am and how much I adore all those who continue to support local art, music, and its musicians.
    Be safe and have fun with those you love as this year comes to an end.

Quote Originally Posted by ENluv12 View Post
    Just found out a guy that I went to high school with, Nick Gomez-Hall, was one of the first confirmed victims.
    I saw a post from someone who sold me a ticket for a Campout in NY that she knew Nick Gomez-Hall when he lived in Providence, RI. One of the first people she met in the city and they bonded over cold wave and synths. It was touching post on how they met. Crazy how small the music scene in the States can be.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    braundiggity, so sorry to hear about your friend. The bay and the world lost some really fucking cool people. Johnny was just the best dude.

Hurts to see the whole community that has been a source of happiness and good times just absolutely crushed right now. One of the missing, Amanda, hung out at our camp at Sunset Campout one of the evenings. She was really good friends with Joe, Colin, and Ryan. I've met her briefly at a couple events since usually reminiscing on Sunset and seen her around at even more events. You can tell she was really loved by many.
    5/23 Lena Wilikens @ F8 | 5/24 Las Sucias, Cube, Group Rhoda @ Hemlock Tavern | 5/26 Fever Ray @ Fox Theater | 5/30 Slowdive @ Filmore

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post

I didn't know him well but I never saw anything except positivity coming from this guy. We lost a lot of talent and kind hearts last weekend.

Thanks for making the thread braundiggity.

I, like many others, have been following this story since the past weekend...Such a horrible, tragic occurrence...My deepest condolences to the friends and family who lost their loved ones in the fire, and to those on here who lost people they knew...

And a big "fuck you" to the guy who was managing this property, Derick Ion...Looking at the photos of the place and reading about the ongoing negligence, it's no wonder that there was such a high risk of something like this happening...Just came across this story of Derick visiting the site for the first time...Guy seems like a delusional piece of shit putting on a fake show for the masses:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...s-died-n692161
    Last edited by tycobb667; 12-06-2016 at 10:36 AM.

"Money can't give what the truth takes away."

yeah I saw that article this morning. The more I read about this guy the more I want to dick punch him.

Thank you for the music links, Gue.

I can't wait for this year to be over.

I have wanted to kill myself a hundred times, but somehow I am still in love with life. This ridiculous weakness is perhaps one of our more stupid melancholy propensities, for is there anything more stupid than to be eager to go on carrying a burden which one would gladly throw away, to loathe one’s very being and yet to hold it fast, to fondle the snake that devours us until it has eaten our hearts away?
    -nackt

Here's a very insightful follow-up from Pitchfork on how the local scene is coping with their losses, which also includes some recent history of the underground music scene that is tied to places such as Ghost Ship:

http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/1383-a...broken-system/

posted publicly on fb:

This won't be easy to read nor was this easy to write, but I have come to terms that it's absolutely necessary to delcare and publicly state the following to protect our community from further harm. There have been multiple thefts and violent incidents by Derick Ion / Derick Almena reported to the police over the years... and journalists are actively going to the police to access these reports right now. I'm really wishing more than anything I would have sacrificed more of my own peace for the sake of my community and made much more a stink to get him shut down after my incident I reported over two years ago. We are all suffering enough and now so many peoples lives are being directly affected because of someone's careless and self-consumed negligence.
    Seeing all this controversy and support for him makes me realize that it needs to be known how Dericks character and treatment of his space is beyond a rarity, he built the "ghost ship" aka satya yuga high on meth in a Dune referenced delusion out of trash and was initially calling it the Gom Jabbar. He is absolutely incomparable to and so much more deplorable than the many amazing super responsible persons operating spaces that I see going above and beyond for our safety, requiring medics on duty at events with clear exits and taking many other necessary precautions. Derick never did those things to my knowledge and is obviously not someone mentally equipped to manage anyone or run a big ongoing project like that. To me he proved himself manipulative, abusive, violent, criminal, and a HUGE liability to the safety of our community... I have been voicing his need to step down from a leadership role and community involvement privately to event producers for over 2 years, and now lives are lost and the peace of more are at stake. If you are an obnoxious artist, outwardly judgmental, often commit illegal acts, own guns and are an addict, please leave us out of it, keep it to yourself, keep it away from the young people who are still growing and finding their way.
    You are lucky if you had a good experience knowing that guy, congratulations, because there are, with out a doubt, many of us who have been suffering quietly for awhile on his behalf. Because he threatened me and scared the shit out of me, I didn't say enough, or know who I could trust, and really, I still don't. I'm so angry, and devastated, and kicking myself for not being more vocal and persistent.. instead I ran away from him and everyone, stayed quiet for the most part, growing and learning from it privately all this time. I am actively praying and attempting to do what is right in this incredibly brutal time in our community's history. I was doing my best to cope with my trauma alone, but I realize I'm not alone.. we are a community, and Derick has hurt us both directly and indirectly for years whether he will ever realize and have remorse for it or not. I promise to do the best I can to protect us all from more harm and displacement.
    If you have filed a police report about a past incident please speak up, get your case file. Feel free to contact me. There is nothing anyone can do or say that will make what I went through at that warehouse okay, invalid or untrue. Our community doesn't deserve anymore displacement and accusation because of one crazy person who never did the obvious to make satya yuga a safe place for us to gather. Sending my love to everyone, I am beyond sorry for not putting my life more on the line to prevent something like this catastrophe from happening. I am a servant to my people, I'm here to help as much as I can.

This guy that ran the place is an asshat.
    Last edited by high5sareawesome; 12-07-2016 at 02:06 PM.
    Coachella 09, 10, 11, 12(WK1), 13(WK2), 14(WK2), 15(WK1), 16(WK1), 17(WK1), 18(WK1)

It's all about the music.

Everything I've read about that guy is awful. Hindsight is 20/20 and the damage is done, but hopefully this at least encourages people to speak out about that kind of situation.

The Chronicle has been doing articles on each of the victims, and they're really nice. Here's Jon, the guy I knew. I think it captures him well. I plan to read up on everyone else as well, and my condolences to everyone who lost someone.

He needs to go to jail for the rest of his life.

Such a horrible horrible tragedy... absolutely devastating. I'm so sorry for all those affected and grieving the loss of these amazing souls. The community will be mourning their loss for a long time to come.

I got to meet Johnny only about a month ago, he was the new music buyer at Green Apple Books in my neighborhood. I feel so lucky I ever got to meet him, and really looked forward to seeing him around the neighborhood. He was instantly friendly, welcoming, kind, and seemed really really cool. He was a huge champion of local music and gave off good vibes for days. A very magnetic and magnanimous person. I'm still in shock that he's gone.

Hugs, everyone. I want you to know I value you. We all need to lift each other up and help each other get through this and keep creating and appreciating the music and art that make life worth living.
    Quote Originally Posted by svatomictwist View Post
    I spin in both directions, and I also dance in FRACTIONS.
    2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011!!!, 2012 (w1), 2013 (w2), 2014! (w2), 2015!! (w2), 2016 (w2), 2017 (w2), 2018 (w2)...

Here is a playlist of some of the artists lost:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...tj6VnYBJBHo-j9

So according to today's report from CNN, city officials have stated that the Ghost Ship warehouse had not been inspected in over 30 years...And the most recent complaints the city received for the property came just 3 weeks before the fire...The owner of the building, fuckface Derick Almena, and the City of Oakland will surely be wrapped up in criminal and civil litigation for years to come.
    Last edited by tycobb667; 12-08-2016 at 03:00 PM.

He wasn't the owner, he was the master tenant.

^ Yeah I know that, that's common knowledge for everyone at this point. You misread what I posted...I am saying the owner of the building (who is Chor N. Ng), fuckface Alemna, AND Oakland are all going to go down for this...

Have none of you asshats been to a wharehouse like this before? The people don't own it and the name on the lease is usually the douchiest scumbag of the group. This type of asshole is an unfortunate necessity for these types of venue. All you assholes are doing is giving power to police and cities to shutter these places with your incessant whining. It's very unfortunate that all of this happened and possibly could've been avoided, but it should also be common knowledge that when you go to an underground venue you accept a certain amount of risk. These places don't have security pat downs, fire prevention, etc but that doesn't mean we should clamor for any of it. That shit will just kill the diy scene faster and lead to more events being held in even more dangerous places.
    Last edited by slinkybutt; 12-08-2016 at 02:45 PM.

^ LOL

I don't think you're worked up enough there bub...You can do better, try again.

http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2016/12/...s-coming-true/

Already happening. Fuck all of that.

So sad. Where are these people going to go? They are there for a reason. I know that this is being done in the name of their safety, but there is not middle ground. I don't know anything about affordable housing, especially in the bay, but are there any city assistance programs?