Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weekend 2 convert

Default Weekend 2 convert

I am struggling to function this morning so the coherency may not quite be there, but damn. I am officially making the switch to Weekend 2 from here on out.

The grass is definitely a bummer. But everything else was infinitely better. We never once felt it was too crowded, in fact quite the opposite. There were times (main stage beer garden right before Gary Clark Jr., for example) when I was taken aback by how few people there were and how much space there was. Logistically it was flawless. Flawless. I did not have to wait more than 1-2 minutes in line for anything. Shuttles, security, food/beer, ID checks, ferris wheel, all of it was easy easy easy.

The "vibes" we all joke about were tangible. Every single food and drink vendor commented on how well behaved the second weekend was in comparison. Every single person we talked to was nice, interesting, and outgoing. We saw some ridiculous behavior but that was the exception, not the norm.

It was easy to get a good spot at every show we went to, but while we went to some that were thinner than others (Bat for Lashes had a small crowd), the crowds were never heartbreakingly small and were always really well behaved and appreciative. And when it was time to party, like for Grimes, we had a ton of fun and never felt unsafe.

I can't comment on the Sahara during the worst shows and if that was different, but we were in the Sahara three times (2manydjs, Underworld, and AlunaGeorge) and once again, no crowd issues whatsoever. Polite and fun.

Now that it's clearly going to be impossible to predict which weekend has the bigger guests, which was the other thing Weekend 1 had going for it, I seriously consider trying it if you're gotten frustrated about the YOLO/Selfie crowds Weekend 1. It was a breath of fresh air.

Default Re: Weekend 2 convert

Yep. I can echo just about everything you posted. The biggest downside for me was the grass. The one time I went into the Sahara, which was on Friday, it was basically just a giant sandbox. But schedules permitting I'm pretty sure I'll be doing weekend 2 from here on out.

Yeah the crowds were chill besides EDM. I got to watch Baauer and Tchami in the sound booth which was dope, such an awesome experience being up on the sage with nobody touching me, just watching all of the kids go ballistic.

I really do want to try weekend 1 once, but the whole coachella hangover/withdraws thing would suck when watching everyone going again after you just finished.

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    I am struggling to function this morning so the coherency may not quite be there, but damn. I am officially making the switch to Weekend 2 from here on out.

The grass is definitely a bummer. But everything else was infinitely better. We never once felt it was too crowded, in fact quite the opposite. There were times (main stage beer garden right before Gary Clark Jr., for example) when I was taken aback by how few people there were and how much space there was. Logistically it was flawless. Flawless. I did not have to wait more than 1-2 minutes in line for anything. Shuttles, security, food/beer, ID checks, ferris wheel, all of it was easy easy easy.

The "vibes" we all joke about were tangible. Every single food and drink vendor commented on how well behaved the second weekend was in comparison. Every single person we talked to was nice, interesting, and outgoing. We saw some ridiculous behavior but that was the exception, not the norm.

It was easy to get a good spot at every show we went to, but while we went to some that were thinner than others (Bat for Lashes had a small crowd), the crowds were never heartbreakingly small and were always really well behaved and appreciative. And when it was time to party, like for Grimes, we had a ton of fun and never felt unsafe.

I can't comment on the Sahara during the worst shows and if that was different, but we were in the Sahara three times (2manydjs, Underworld, and AlunaGeorge) and once again, no crowd issues whatsoever. Polite and fun.

Now that it's clearly going to be impossible to predict which weekend has the bigger guests, which was the other thing Weekend 1 had going for it, I seriously consider trying it if you're gotten frustrated about the YOLO/Selfie crowds Weekend 1. It was a breath of fresh air.
    i did weekend 1 this year and sat/sun of weekend 2, but i've done both weekends every year since they started doing two. agreed, weekend 2 is always chiller with a better vibe. love both, but weekend 2 wins.

BUt THE GRASS!!!

Vibes>grass
    Youth, you son of a bitch, where did you go?

Quote Originally Posted by Emma Ocean View Post
    so I assume you've never been cunt punched at a festival? Well lucky you!

Just like when a band does multiple shows in a city, the last one tends to be the best. They don't want to blow their load the first one or two, the last one when there is a day off the next day always seems to have them going all out. Often times if they have guests they seem to be better too in my experiences, which are vast.

Like weekend 2 Foals set this year. They fucked up timing round one, but came back ready last weekend. Could not imagine that song not ending that way, such a letdown. LAst Shadow Puppets closed with their cover of "I Want You" while they didn't even play it weekend one. Hung out with Alex Turner a bit before the show and asked if they were playing it, maybe that's why they did so, too. Told him how amazin it was at the Ace a few days prior. Ice Cube? Fucking ridiculous weekend 2. So glad we went for it.
    Last edited by JustSteve; 04-25-2016 at 06:54 PM.

Yeah, I'm team weekend 2. Better sets, vibes, crowds.

But after Lush, I would never attend weekend 1 if there was some reunion or rarity British band I really wanted to see.

Oh yeah, NWA reunion. Late last year I proposed NWA with Kendrick Lamar as a headliner, and that ended up happening. But just for us.
    Last edited by Boourns; 04-25-2016 at 07:47 PM.

Last year was my first time at Weekend 2, and I felt the same way. I ended up at Weekend 1 this year for my own logistical reasons, but it definitely made me feel like I want to go back to Weekend 2 next time. There were so many people talking through sets, pushing through packed crowds in groups of 10, etc. Not to mention the delays in opening the gates on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    But after Lush, I would never attend weekend 1 if there was some reunion or rarity British band I really wanted to see.
    THIS! So much this....boy did I learn that lesson.
    7/21 Lake Street Dive . 7/23 Animal Collective . 7/31 Beach House . 9/15 Beyoncé & Jay-Z . 9/29 The Decemberists . 10/4 Phoenix . 10/5-10/7 ACL Fest . 10/28 Rüfüs Du Sol

Didn't Dre come out for non NWA songs? That's not a reunion then

I agree on Weekend 2. Last 2 have been 2 of my top 3 weekends. Everyone I shared a bench with was very cool and, like me, just happy to be there. They probably iron out a few sound issues as well.
    I have been to concerts. I will go to concerts in the future.

I think the issue here is that a majority of the passes up for grabs during the general on-sale is for Weekend 2, so most of the people seem to be there for the music and not just "to be there" or "the experience." Yes, there are always exceptions, but the fact that any problems from WK1 are usually fixed WK2 plus the general feel make me a "Weekend 2 forever" person.
    Coachellas attended: 2007-present

None of the pop media covers weekend 2 - it's all weekend 1. That's why you're going to have your special guests and "be-seen" people. Even the glow-stick, wear the same shirt as everyone in my group people were different.
    I have been to concerts. I will go to concerts in the future.

I'm not really happy that the weekend 2 secret is getting out.

I've done weekend 1 every year since the split started. But after last year, in particular, I felt like the crowd was at its all time worst. I still went with weekend 1 this year, but now I'm certain that I will be doing weekend 2 in the future. Everyone that I have talked to has been unanimous in their assessment that weekend 2 was a better experience.

Quote Originally Posted by slinkybutt View Post
    Didn't Dre come out for non NWA songs? That's not a reunion then
    correct

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    I mean, us weekend 2'ers got lucky this time, but it could have just as easily happened the other way around, where a band plays weekend one and then a key member gets the flu or something weekend 2. Neither weekend is safe from this kind of event.

But overall yeah I agree with this thread. This was my first time at weekend 2 and from on I'll be going to that one. The grass sucked but I can see grass at home, I'm not that impressed by it. The vibes are better (although I still encountered a few assholes, especially during The Kills when a bunch of jerks were waiting for ASAP Rocky) and the experience is just smoother, security has ironed out it's shit and everything just flows better.

Quote Originally Posted by Saydo View Post
    I'm not really happy that the weekend 2 secret is getting out.
    Pretty soon we'll have to move to Weekend 3 for some #VIBES.
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorAve View Post
    Careful, while the threats are amusingly clueless, I could probably have this whole board shut down with one phone call.
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    2. Migos- The new Beatles.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbeckett View Post
    I mean, us weekend 2'ers got lucky this time, but it could have just as easily happened the other way around, where a band plays weekend one and then a key member gets the flu or something weekend 2. Neither weekend is safe from this kind of event.
    Seems like Weekend 2 had some issues with singers' voices, specifically Sufjan (he sounded very hoarse on the live feed) and Chris Stapleton. Seems to be a gamble for either weekend.

Chris sounded amazing from the crowd.

Count me amongst the converts.

Officers said arrests for misdemeanor possession of a controlled substance increased slightly for Coachella Weekend 2, while arrests for alcohol related violations decreased.
    LESS DRUNK - MORE VIBEY

9/6: The War on Drugs, Land of Talk @ The Paramount

Out of the 3 times I've gone (2013, 2014, & this year), I have always gone to weekend 2 and had a blast. I want to go to weekend 1 at least once, but I'm cool with going weekend 2 for the foreseeable future.

I've been backing this for years...

WEEKEND TWO 4 LYFE.
    Quote Originally Posted by alpha_q_up View Post
    a cunt punt is always the best solution to cure someone of their bitchassness
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    You can't go in until late on the first day because you can't hang?
    You giant pussy.

For 2012-13, I chose weekend 2 for no particular reason. I chose weekend 1 in 2014 because weekend 2 conflicted with Easter. My wife and I immediately noticed a difference in the weekend 1 crowd, mostly a higher level of entitlement that rubbed us the wrong way. There were some technical difficulties and we noticed a couple acts get cut off for going over their time. We had to swap our weekend 2 for weekend 1 in 2015 because of a funeral and we experienced the just about the same shit as the year before. Back to weekend 2 this year and the crowd is way more chill and almost no technical problems (Usher's mic during Major Lazer was a drag). I think we are back to weekend 2 for good!
    The lack of grass is a drag though. Fucking bone dry this year. Did anybody notice the gas powered vacuum on the terrace that was sucking up the dead grass? Never seen that before.

This years week 1 crowd was by far the worst I have ever seen.
    And the weekend 2 crowd was by far the best I have ever seen.
    My observations are that the weekends demographics are definitely splitting further and further apart.
    It seems the veterans and their friends attend weekend 2, whilst the majority of weekend 1 is the crowd that we dont enjoy to see.
    How much further apart do these demographics have to grow before we see 2 completely separate festivals that share some acts, but essentially contain different headliners?

We did Wknd 2 the first year that GV switched to the 2-weekend format, and I can attest that it was definitely a great experience despite the lack of grass. It was also hot as fuck that year. For whatever reason, we've done weekend 1 ever since and, while I'm not completely against ever going back to weekend 2, it just seems like that's the optimal one for us. I've had absolutely zero issues with the "entitled" crowds or even getting rail (or close to it) for the acts I care to. Super glad that totems are getting less and less prevalent. Those things were ridiculously annoying a few years ago.

There's things like beer gardens and VIP areas for the truly uninterested festival goers, and absolutely no shortage in sight of shit sets like Jack Ü to draw the bros away. Admittedly, there were a few bitches making rude chatter near the barricade for Meg Myers this year, but in general I don't let people bother me because I tend to get in my own zone. I also found in 2012 that I pretty much did nothing but watch the webcast weekend 1, "spoiling" the experience. That is true that any kinks should be worked out by weekend 2 though, making for some more polished performances.
    2004-2005-2006-2008-2012b-2013a-2014a-2016a-2017a

Well after all this, the only option for us with wife's job is Weekend 1. So back to teenagers, delayed sets, and green grass I go.

and slightly cooler weather.
    RECENT/UPCOMING: 10/14 1975 @ LA Forum, 2/1 Run The Jewels @ Shrine, 2/9 Austra @ El Rey, 2/18 Air & Style, 2/24 Radio Dept @ Fonda, 3/12 Full Moon Party (Thailand), 4/8 Radiohead Seattle, 4/9 Radiohead Portland, 4/11 Radiohead Santa Barbara, 4/14 Coachella Wk1, 4/21 Coachella Wk2, 5/12 PJ Harvey @ Greek, 5/13 Conor Oberst @ Greek

these vibes i hear about better be good!