Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 61 to 83 of 83

Thread: Tell me about the Safari Tent experience

  1. #61
    old school GolfWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SFV
    Posts
    2,541

    Default Re: Tell me about the Safari Tent experience

    Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    Also, backstage catering is world class. You have to have meal tickets, though. However, they do have a lot of great refreshing drinks and desserts available to the side without meal tickets.
    I have this manager friend who is at Coachella every year and whenever we meet up he never eats with me because he says the backstage catering is too good to pass up. now I have this burning desire to see what exactly is so damn good about it lol.

  2. #62
    Coachella Junkie Boourns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    nowhere
    Posts
    29,224

    Default Re: Tell me about the Safari Tent experience

    Quote Originally Posted by GolfWang View Post
    I have this manager friend who is at Coachella every year and whenever we meet up he never eats with me because he says the backstage catering is too good to pass up. now I have this burning desire to see what exactly is so damn good about it lol.
    Someone gave me their extra ticket Sunday night, and I had some kind of sirloin caps, tilapia topped with shrimp, kale salad, garlic mashed potatoes and tempura fried green beans with chipotle aioli. Other options I saw were pecan encrusted chicken, lots of pizza, and lots of signs promising vegan options.

  3. #63
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The Old Pueblo
    Posts
    247

    Default Re: Tell me about the Safari Tent experience

    Food thoughts:

    The Safari brunch was amazing and hit the spot, but you are right, they need a barista there (even if charging for nice coffee drinks)!

    The Poke Bowl in the Rose Garden this year was the best single thing I've ever had at a Coachella, including multiple Outstanding in the Field dinners- they need to ensure this comes back as often as possible. Did anyone get the name of that place? (I think it had a big blue neon tuna / mahi mahi sign?)

    The coffee ice cream went up form $8 to $10 but is still amazing (and took me a whole day to locate, since they move it every year).

    All in all, the Safari experience was great- they staff and parking and access and carts all make it amazingly worth it. My only suggestion for improvement is to add another Shower & toilet trailer, but other than that, I have 0 suggestions as to how they could improve it.

    Absolutely do this (get a safari tent) if you can afford to!

    The Sahara / Hacienda / Gobi 'wormhole' made getting places so fast, but I found the VIP Terrace / Artist Compound / Main stage viewing area access process a bit wonky- they need to sort that out for next year.

  4. #64
    old school travelfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,974

    Default Re: Tell me about the Safari Tent experience

    Quote Originally Posted by lungshadow View Post
    The Poke Bowl in the Rose Garden this year was the best single thing I've ever had at a Coachella, including multiple Outstanding in the Field dinners- they need to ensure this comes back as often as possible. Did anyone get the name of that place? (I think it had a big blue neon tuna / mahi mahi sign?)
    I second this. It was absolutely delicious, and easily the best poke I've ever had. My wife and I can't go back to any of our SF spots (happily, anyway) after eating it. It was about 50 times better than it had any business being.

  5. #65
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    289

    Default Re: Tell me about the Safari Tent experience

    Fourth Coachella, first time Safari, and I cant say enough how amazing it is.

    For camping the accommodations are awesome. Comfy till about 9:30, and then even with the AC and a fan we bought the heat got a little uncomfortable.
    The staff were all great, extremely helpful.
    The breakfast could absolutely use a better coffee option, though I was drinking tea all weekend to protect my throat. (NO FLUCHELLA)
    Bathrooms were solid, showers were solid but took some tweaking, picking the right stall for pressure and hot water.
    The golf carts make the package. While the viewing areas are choice, the carts change the entire scope of the festival.

    Only thoughts.

    1. Got to get a cart route to they Yuma, that place is far from everything and one stop there would make it perfect.
    2. Coffee Improvement already mentioned.
    3. A air conditioned Safari only VIP on the grounds with a locker so guests can save themselves from going all the way back to the tent to freshen up.

    Likely back next year, totally worth it.

  6. #66
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sydney, AU
    Posts
    271

    Default Re: Tell me about the Safari Tent experience

    Quote Originally Posted by lungshadow View Post
    Food thoughts:

    The Safari brunch was amazing and hit the spot, but you are right, they need a barista there (even if charging for nice coffee drinks)!

    The Poke Bowl in the Rose Garden this year was the best single thing I've ever had at a Coachella, including multiple Outstanding in the Field dinners- they need to ensure this comes back as often as possible. Did anyone get the name of that place? (I think it had a big blue neon tuna / mahi mahi sign?)

    The coffee ice cream went up form $8 to $10 but is still amazing (and took me a whole day to locate, since they move it every year).

    All in all, the Safari experience was great- they staff and parking and access and carts all make it amazingly worth it. My only suggestion for improvement is to add another Shower & toilet trailer, but other than that, I have 0 suggestions as to how they could improve it.

    Absolutely do this (get a safari tent) if you can afford to!

    The Sahara / Hacienda / Gobi 'wormhole' made getting places so fast, but I found the VIP Terrace / Artist Compound / Main stage viewing area access process a bit wonky- they need to sort that out for next year.
    It was Mainland Poke Shop. I only know this because I randomly have a photo in front of it haha. I never tried it as I was a bit scepitcal about getting raw fish in the desert (without properly set up facilities).

    I was a bit disappointed that Free Range LA didn't have a stand this year, however, the addition of Nomad was awesome. Best burger I've had in quite a while!

    Quote Originally Posted by craigoneil View Post
    Fourth Coachella, first time Safari, and I cant say enough how amazing it is.

    For camping the accommodations are awesome. Comfy till about 9:30, and then even with the AC and a fan we bought the heat got a little uncomfortable.
    The staff were all great, extremely helpful.
    The breakfast could absolutely use a better coffee option, though I was drinking tea all weekend to protect my throat. (NO FLUCHELLA)
    Bathrooms were solid, showers were solid but took some tweaking, picking the right stall for pressure and hot water.
    The golf carts make the package. While the viewing areas are choice, the carts change the entire scope of the festival.

    Only thoughts.

    1. Got to get a cart route to they Yuma, that place is far from everything and one stop there would make it perfect.
    2. Coffee Improvement already mentioned.
    3. A air conditioned Safari only VIP on the grounds with a locker so guests can save themselves from going all the way back to the tent to freshen up.

    Likely back next year, totally worth it.
    I think the Safari VIP on grounds would be a bit of a stretch but lockers are definitely possible (even just a cloak room by the Safari pickup behind Main Stage).
    Last edited by wazdog; 05-01-2017 at 10:14 PM.

    Jan: Kelela, the XX
    Feb: Tiesto, Sydney City Limits
    Jul: French Montana, Tyga
    Sep: Skepta
    Nov: Childish Gambino, Bloc Party
    Dec: Wu-Tang Clan

  7. #67
    Member Riflesmile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    N.Ireland
    Posts
    286

    Default Re: Tell me about the Safari Tent experience

    I did say earlier in this thread that they would screw us over on Safari prices after two years of sell outs.

    I just didn't think they would screw us over quite this bad........

  8. #68
    old school GolfWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SFV
    Posts
    2,541

    Default Re: Tell me about the Safari Tent experience

    ah well. it was nice a nice dream while it lasted.

  9. #69
    old school ThatGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,529

    Default Re: Tell me about the Safari Tent experience

    It's offensive how blatantly greedy it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

  10. #70
    Member Riflesmile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    N.Ireland
    Posts
    286

    Default Re: Tell me about the Safari Tent experience

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    It's offensive how blatantly greedy it is.
    I couldn't have put it better myself. I was ready to travel again next year and save my ass off for Safari again but this rise is a stretch too far out of principle as much as anything. They've already squeezed the number of Safari tents up in 2 years and I have no doubt they will sell it out again but my ass won't be in one of them

  11. #71
    Member heimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    130

    Default Re: Tell me about the Safari Tent experience

    Quote Originally Posted by microcuts View Post
    [...] Check in is Thursday and need to be out by noon on Monday.

    Leaving Monday morning was EASY. You get a secret exit right out to Monroe.
    I will be doing Safari this year with 3 friends and we are trying to plan our flight home. Is there anything cool to see/do Monday morning, other than sleeping in and taking it easy? One of our flight options would require us to leave at 9am to return the rental and get on our flight in time. I would prefer to be asleep (or at least try to be asleep) until at least that time in the morning, and the alternate flight I found would work perfectly if we left by noon (and half the price...).

  12. #72
    old school ThatGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,529

    Default Re: Tell me about the Safari Tent experience

    Personally it's not easy to sleep in when you are in a Safari Tent. Once that sun comes up and people started getting up to shower and have breakfast I was always awake, even with ear plugs in. That said I'm a light sleeper, but just saying. One year we were in a tent located by the catering tent, and there was always a huge racket.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

  13. #73
    Member heimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    130

    Default Re: Tell me about the Safari Tent experience

    I am a light sleeper as well--I plan on wearing earbuds (with a white noise app), as well as a sleep mask. But good information to know.

    After 12 Coachellas, this will be my very first on-site camping experience. I am assuming the Safari Tent area is at least somewhat more quiet than the general camping areas?

  14. #74
    old school ThatGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,529

    Default Re: Tell me about the Safari Tent experience

    Quieter than main camping I'm sure - less people and less craziness. Good call on the ear plugs. It's a wholly separate area with its own parking lot. They also provide you with massages, sunscreen, bottled water, snacks, and in some years there has been a pool/lounge area. The best thing about Safari is the guest pass -access to artist areas and the golf cart rides. Another tip- be sure your AC in the tent is shut off at night or you will freeze your ass off.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

  15. #75
    old school microcuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    lansing_mi
    Posts
    3,693

    Default Re: Tell me about the Safari Tent experience

    After inquiring into possibly going against previous plans and attending this year, I'm getting word that both weekends Safari Tents are already sold out. So there's that.
    2004-2005-2006-2008-2012b-2013a-2014a-2016a-2017a

  16. #76
    old school ThatGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,529

    Default Re: Tell me about the Safari Tent experience

    That's quite unusual given in previous years they were usually still available even after main sale.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

  17. #77
    old school microcuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    lansing_mi
    Posts
    3,693

    Default Re: Tell me about the Safari Tent experience

    Yes, even last year there were many unused tents weekend 1. I'm not sure if they saved those for weekend 2 to minimize on what they need to clean or what.

    Not that I really wanted to spend $8,500 or anything.
    2004-2005-2006-2008-2012b-2013a-2014a-2016a-2017a

  18. #78

    Default Re: Tell me about the Safari Tent experience

    Weekend One tents were sold out last year. A lot of people buy the tents just for the Guest passes that come with them and don't stay in the tents.

  19. #79

    Default Re: Tell me about the Safari Tent experience

    Quote Originally Posted by microcuts View Post
    After inquiring into possibly going against previous plans and attending this year, I'm getting word that both weekends Safari Tents are already sold out. So there's that.
    Doesn't seem to the the case for weekend 2, as I just got my confirmation

  20. #80
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The Old Pueblo
    Posts
    247

    Default Re: Tell me about the Safari Tent experience

    I was in LA a couple weeks back and stumbled upon Mainland Poke on 3rd street (east of Orlando) and dang if their poke wasn't' still awesome, I hope they are back this year.

  21. #81

    Default Re: Tell me about the Safari Tent experience

    Quote Originally Posted by lungshadow View Post
    I was in LA a couple weeks back and stumbled upon Mainland Poke on 3rd street (east of Orlando) and dang if their poke wasn't' still awesome, I hope they are back this year.
    Omg I've been there a few times too! Such a great spot -- I hope they come this year, too

  22. #82
    old school microcuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    lansing_mi
    Posts
    3,693

    Default Re: Tell me about the Safari Tent experience

    Up to $9,500 + $2,500 per guest for 2019.

    Fuck this.
    2004-2005-2006-2008-2012b-2013a-2014a-2016a-2017a

  23. #83
    Member heimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    130

    Default Re: Tell me about the Safari Tent experience

    Quote Originally Posted by microcuts View Post
    Up to $9,500 + $2,500 per guest for 2019.

    Fuck this.
    The Coachella site needs to update their information...still shows last year pricing: https://www.coachella.com/guidebook/...3&bid=10843343

    EDIT: It's been fixed...
    Last edited by heimer; 05-30-2018 at 11:38 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. Safari Tent
    By JasmynA in forum Questions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-30-2016, 04:53 PM
  2. Safari Tent
    By Lswear in forum Camping/Lodging
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-16-2014, 07:10 AM
  3. Safari Tent Share
    By sinclair in forum Questions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-09-2014, 07:55 PM
  4. safari tent
    By bryanwendy in forum Camping/Lodging
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-30-2013, 02:41 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-21-2011, 09:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •