Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about the Safari Tent experience

Default Re: Tell me about the Safari Tent experience

Quote Originally Posted by Fffrancisco View Post
    Can you camp in the Sahara tent? Isn't it kinda loud?
    Why else do you think it's always packed in there?
    2004-2005-2006-2008-2012b-2013a-2014a-2016a-2017a-2019a
    Jamiroquai-St. Vincent-The War on Drugs-Soulwax-JMJ-The Neighbourhood-Dreams-Perfume Genius-Greta Van Fleet-Carpenter Brut-Slow Magic
    Beyoncé-David Byrne-Nile Rodgers & CHIC-BŘRNS-Angel Olsen-Jungle-MŘ-Tash Sultana-Alvvays-X Japan-Yaeji-Sir Sly-Hundred Waters
    Eminem-ODESZA-Portugal. the Man-A Perfect Circle-Petit Biscuit-AURORA-Nothing But Thieves-Kölsch-Japanese Breakfast

instagram

This is definitely a bucket list item for me. Doubt we can get our shit together for this year's pre-sale, but maybe the year after.

Quote Originally Posted by Fffrancisco View Post
    Can you camp in the Sahara tent? Isn't it kinda loud?
    Yes, but you get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    This is definitely a bucket list item for me. Doubt we can get our shit together for this year's pre-sale, but maybe the year after.
    They are usually available leading up to regular onsale, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    They are usually available leading up to regular onsale, I believe.

Oh really? That's exciting to hear. I assumed they would disappear immediately thanks to Yonce. We'll probably scoop up our normal hotel package pre-sale just to be safe, and then see how the chips fall up leading to normal on-sale and if need be, sell the hotel package. We're saving up for a Europe trip right now and are pretty close, but once we hit that I'll see if we can swing Safari too.

Post-Safari Feedback:

Wife and I did Safari 2017 Weekend 2 and I have to agree that every comment indicating it is expensive, but well worth the price, is dead on accurate. I'm happy to answer any questions you've got on the experience.

Safari golf carts are a perk that you get and NO ONE ELSE does; I cannot count the number of times Artist passes attempted to board the cart and were shut down- they literally just show up and whisk you (and ONLY YOU) to wherever you want to go. I got in 20% more sets this year than all of my past Cochellas despite the expanded grounds because of the carts and what I call 'the wormhole'. Note: the 'wormhole' is the Hacienda del Sol Artist area that allows you to walk directly from the back of Gobi to the back of Sahara with no stops, and minimal turns. It took me a day to discover this route but it made the transition between Mojave / Gobi and Sahara / Do Lab / Craft Beer as quick as possible. The access and carts make this experience alone worth it- admittedly, I'm older than the average Coachella-goer and my knees / feet are in much better shape now than in previous non-safari years.

The compound is well laid out, quiet (yes, you could hear Sahara / Main stage at night) and secure. There were always visible security at the perimeter, with good lighting that lit up the outside area but was unobtrusive when sleeping. The private parking and 24 hour in/out were unbelievably nice to have and the concierge service was second to none. We got free massages Sunday AM, there was always cold beverages and snacks and A/C and nice bathrooms / showers available. It was the little things, like asking for a bag of ice and magically it would just appear for you on demand.

Every single Safari staff member was polite and fun and had that perfect mix of hospitality and approachability, but seasoned enough to read you if you wanted to be left alone. This is hard to describe, but in the service industry, you really have to have a knack for reading people and knowing how much to interact with them and when- these people were all Pros.

Offsite check in was a breeze, I never had to wait for a shower, but yes, during some hours the water in the shower did run a bit cold and they should have had additional toilets for the number of people. I found the beds super comfy (my wife said they were too firm for her); the little mini-fridge and tent A/C were the perks that put it over the top for me.

Being able to run back during the hottest part of the day to rest, recharge and rally with cold drinks, snacks, shower and change of clothes kept me going strong all weekend.

Whoever wrote about bringing gaffer tape was right, because we needed it to dampen the tent flapping around in the crazy desert winds.

The other campers were all polite and friendly too. Like any group, some were chatty, some kept to themselves. I found the demographics trended older, affluent and surprisingly non-US. I'd say half the Safari folks were from all around the world, which I felt added to the experience (except that one Aussie who would just complained, loudly, non-stop about how "this isn't f-ing Burning Man, what's that bloke think he's wearing!?!!")

Tip: When your friends are suggesting you tone it down because you might be coming off like an ass, you probably are and should listen to them.

Bring some sort of decoration / solar LEDs for your tent so it's easy to spot during the day and night. Yes, there's only about 100 of them, but they are in spoke design, radiating out from the central lounge and it can be a bit confusing as to where the hell you are sometimes. Others brought inflatable pools which the ground staff kept filled for them- that's not my kind of thing, but I thought it was a cool idea.

Last bit: the access afforded the Guest pass is amazing- sure you don't get side-stage access, but if you are going to celebrity-spot / meet some of the artists, this is the way to do it. I literally found myself standing next to all sorts of interesting people and just saying hi- everyone I met was super cool in person.

If you want to bump elbows with famous people this is apparently the way to do it, but I was mostly there for the music- it was just interesting to see people being people. Yes, I can confirm that Skrillex puts in eyes drops just like us normal people do- this knowledge is useless to me, but was acquired because I was standing there drinking some water and it happened in front of me.

The best moment for me was getting to chat with Scott Hansen of Tycho; I couldn't believe how approachable and cheery he was, but this was just after his set and we were both headed to Ga Ga; that really made it a special weekend for me. Note: He's a fan of Portal, apparently.

Oh really? That's exciting to hear. I assumed they would disappear immediately thanks to Yonce. We'll probably scoop up our normal hotel package pre-sale just to be safe, and then see how the chips fall up leading to normal on-sale and if need be, sell the hotel package. We're saving up for a Europe trip right now and are pretty close, but once we hit that I'll see if we can swing Safari too.
    Order early because they do / will sell out.

I will say that after doing Safari this year, I can't imagine ever going back to regular GA. Nothing beats getting golf cart access stage-to-stage and being able to just waltz right up to the front section minutes before an act starts. It was a great way to send off 9 coachellas.. whenever our 10th one happens, probably 2020, it'll definitely be Safari again. The tent on one side of us was vacant all weekend; actually many tents in Safari were empty as well. Not sure what was up with that? I figured they only build as many as are purchased. The neighbors on our other side were super chill and brought a variety of, erm, substances. Kudos.

The breakfast buffet every morning was fucking ace. Late night snacks, too. Cold water bottles (and pop/other drinks) were always readily available. That dramatically cut down on our food/water spending compared to previous years. I should point out that there was also ZERO security, both in getting checked into Safari as well as onto the festival grounds each day. We could have saved a ton of time beforehand pouring all of our glass-bottled alcohol into plastic containers had we known that. Also could have easily gotten liquor onto the festival grounds had we desired. I probably shouldn't be writing this here in the event they change procedure on this, but maybe they figure if people are going to shell out this kind of cash, they should be able to do whatever the fuck they want.

The little gnats that I read about that hang out on the top of the tent were definitely a thing, and got progressively worse as the weekend went on, but it was manageable. We also had fruit and liquor bottles/cups sitting around so that very well could have contributed to that. I think the biggest complaint I might have would be some of the golf cart rides. The paved roads backstage were frequently washed down, creating mud puddles. Depending on how courteous your driver was, this could create a ton of splashback. I didn't really give a fuck about getting a little mud on me, but I overheard some of the girls wearing more fashionable outfits getting pretty upset about it. Oh yeah, the toilet paper sucks, too. The bathrooms are great otherwise. Maybe bring your own TP. Seriously, it's bad.

In the end, I'm sort of kicking myself for not doing this back in the day when it was $4500, but this is the kind of thing that seriously spoils you. If you've ever had even a remote desire or are in a position to purchase Safari, do it.

Oh yeah, each person you take with you gets a box, instead of the one-box-per-order rule for any other festival package.

*edit - posted selected pics on instagram. Link in sig.*
    Last edited by microcuts; 04-25-2017 at 10:38 AM.
    Jamiroquai-St. Vincent-The War on Drugs-Soulwax-JMJ-The Neighbourhood-Dreams-Perfume Genius-Greta Van Fleet-Carpenter Brut-Slow Magic
    Beyoncé-David Byrne-Nile Rodgers & CHIC-BŘRNS-Angel Olsen-Jungle-MŘ-Tash Sultana-Alvvays-X Japan-Yaeji-Sir Sly-Hundred Waters
    Eminem-ODESZA-Portugal. the Man-A Perfect Circle-Petit Biscuit-AURORA-Nothing But Thieves-Kölsch-Japanese Breakfast

instagram

Done Safari twice and booked in December both times. By all accounts W1 was sold out within days of line up release this year but you should be fine until later in the year. You have to pay up front so helps to have time to save !

Second time in Safari for W1 this year (4 people sharing). It keeps getting better, with little incremental changes for the better. (1st time was 2015)

Check in was fine but took a little while as some of my party hadn't registered accounts to activate wristbands (last time they were already activated for you)

They have definitely expanded it this year - in 2015 there were 100 tents and 3 yurts. This year I believe it was over 130 and around 6 or 7 yurts ($20K each - ouch)

Tent and bed was comfortable, the AC units are far more powerful than before, there were zero security checks as mentioned above and they are 420 friendly if thats your bag.

The food offering has improved MASSIVELY - with a much better range for breakfast and late night snacks as well as more variety.

Bathrooms were also much much better - regularly cleaned and good AC. In 2015 one unit overflowed the whole weekend........

Golf carts are just a joy however I found the wait at certain times a little longer than 2015.....this could be down to a couple of factors....more guests, some carts dedicated to individual yurts and a longer journey to the stages due to the expanded layout on the grounds - I would say an extra 10 minutes needed to get to the main stage vs previous years. However lets get it in perspective - they are amazing and add to the experience and ability to catch sets, and yes, they turn down artist bands which I have to say given some attitudes is very fulfilling when you jump on. To put it in perspective - I got a safari cart within a couple of minutes behind the MainStage straight after GaGas set and there must have been a queue of 50-60 people waiting for regular artist and guest carts (who have a standard cart wristband)

Access to the guest areas was a breeze this year and security knew what they were at. In 2015 they were letting VIP bands into the Gobi and Mojave as security clearly didn't know the difference in bands leading to some crazy overcrowding at certain sets. Not this year - it was a total breeze and I was able to get into every set I wanted. Oddly enough it made the Sahara experience a total joy as it is probably the most underused front of stage area (due perhaps to general demographic of artist/guest band wearers) - total contrast to the cluster fuck that the tent was generally the whole weekend.

Once again the concierge service worked a treat, and we got extra alcohol ordered Saturday morning back waiting at our tent for 3pm. Also the regular ice bucket deliveries were a total godsend!

Staff were brilliant as always and super friendly and clearly having a great time as well whilst being total professionals.

Other guests? Most kept themselves to themselves and as mentioned above, a generally older crowd - the tents either side of us both had 3 mothers each who's kids were in general camping but probably got the guest passes - the moms barely went to a set all weekend (seems like a total total waste to me but hey how people spend their money is their call)

There were also a number of wooden lounge buildings, of which I only saw one in use the entire weekend and on the last day it was empty and lying open and the four wristband boxes were lying there and it appeared to be corporate guests invited for the day judging by the stickers over the front of the boxes. The lounges looked like a total waste of time.

Anyway - its amazing, people freak at the price but honestly if you factor in four people with VIP passes, two hotel rooms, food and alcohol all day in the main ground then $2600 per person for all that access, the convenience etc is simply a total bargain.

In saying that, the cynic in me thinks the price will lift again for 2018.......time will tell

How much is a tent with two VIP tickets again?

How much is a tent with two VIP tickets again?
    Not 100% but around $3000 from what I recall for Lake Eldorado (which isn't comparable as Im sure you know!)

Quote Originally Posted by Riflesmile View Post
    Not 100% but around $3000 from what I recall for Lake Eldorado (which isn't comparable as Im sure you know!)
    No I mean in Safari.

No I mean in Safari.
    $7000 total for 2 people, $1750 for each additional person. It's been a while since they raised it to that price, so hopefully it's set there for a while and not due for an increase next year.

instagram

No I mean in Safari.
    Sorry VIP threw me - It's guest passes - $7000 for two or four people sharing for $10500

No I mean in Safari.
    Safari comes with Guest (above VIP, below Artist / Production) passes, 2 for $7000. They're listed at $7500, but I bought in December, so not sure if the price rises after the lineup is out maybe?

http://www.valleymusictravel.com/eve...n-site-lodging

Yurts were $25k.
    Last edited by lungshadow; 04-25-2017 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by microcuts View Post
    $7000 total for 2 people, $1750 for each additional person. It's been a while since they raised it to that price, so hopefully it's set there for a while and not due for an increase next year.
    By all accounts W1 in 2016 and 2017 both sold out very very quick following line up release - you know the score - if the demand is there.........

Oh. I thought it was $15,000+ for some reason. That $7,000 +/- is for tent Thurs-Sun, two Safari access passes?

Oh. I thought it was $15,000+ for some reason. That $7,000 +/- is for tent Thurs-Sun, two Safari access passes?
    Yes - Thurs - Mon with two guest / safari passes yep

Yup, $7000 for two people with Artist Guest passes. Pretty sure there's no fees or otherwise on top of that. Check in is Thursday and need to be out by noon on Monday.

Leaving Monday morning was EASY. You get a secret exit right out to Monroe.

instagram

I take it back - it was $7500 ?!

http://www.valleymusictravel.com/eve...-site-lodging/

Quote Originally Posted by Riflesmile View Post
    That must be an early catch on an increase for next year, it was definitely $7,000 this year.

instagram

That must be an early catch on an increase for next year, it was definitely $7,000 this year.
    Lol yeah just checked my bill .....so clearly the price is going up......

In the end, I'm sort of kicking myself for not doing this back in the day when it was $4500, but this is the kind of thing that seriously spoils you. If you've ever had even a remote desire or are in a position to purchase Safari, do it.
    I went in 2011 when Safari was 5K for 2 people and you got an Artist pass, not just a guest pass. We were backstage or side stage for a lot of sets, it was disappointing when they downgraded access to Guest. Did that in 2013 for 6500/ 2 people. Those were the days... You are right about being spoiled though. I've not been to Coachella since but if the lineup compelled me I'd be doing Safari again too.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

Trying to save up and do this for next year. I need to experience this once in my lifetime. Hoping to take my Dad and split it with him. Been wanting to go to Coachella with him for years, but the only way I think the only way he could manage is with the safari tent experience.

Finally back home from the US. Another year of Safari done with the addition of some first timers this year and another great experience!

The good:
    - The breakfast this year was probably the best they've ever done. The omelette chefs were great, the only thing missing now is proper coffee/barista!
    - Staff are always super helpful, outgoing and go the extra mile to ensure you have a great experience
    - Our homie on the decks Gabe Real in the common tent, always on point!
    - Improved bathrooms with air-conditioning (I believe this was based on feedback of some of the campers from last year). So a note for this years attendees make sure you complete the feedback forms because if the requests are reasonable they will most likely act on it
    - New parking spot was great and meant you didn't have to deal with dusty roads

Improvements:
    - They need to adjust the timing of late night snacks. On night one they finished up at 1am despite the festival finishing at 1am which meant anyone who saw the late acts weren't able to eat anything
    - Not all tents were the same, which meant that we weren't able to lock ours down with a padlock which was pretty annoying. We were fine as we could shift our valuables to other mates tents but not everyone would have that option (FYI we have never had any issues with lost luggage/valuables but still good to know its safe)
    - They have tinkered around with the air-conditioning units over the years. I found the best ones were the year they used the integrated rectangular units they used a few years ago

Outside Safari:
    - Was pretty stupid that the new VIP bar (Hacienda Del Toro) didn't open until late day two due to the truck carrying the fit-out/supplies getting lost
    - There is always issues with security and access to the Artist Guest areas of the stages. It always takes them a couple of screw ups to realise that VIPs aren't permitted in there. We missed out on Gucci Mane, Banks and Martin Garrix (amongst others) because of it. In saying that was still able to see a significant amount of acts over the weekend
    - The new layout was a bit tricky to navigate with the carts. We found that if you were going from Sahara to Gobi or Mojave it was easier to walk there rather than cart it. If you were going to Outdoor or Main Stage it was easier to wander back to the Rose Garden and get a cart from there.
    Last edited by wazdog; 04-30-2017 at 06:26 PM.

Sep: Future, Bryson Tiller, Duke Dumont, Mac Miller
    Nov: Drake, Winston Surfshirt
    Dec: The Weeknd, NAV, French Montana
    Jan: Earl Sweatshirt, the XX
    Feb: Tiesto, Sydney City Limits
    Apr: Lana Del Rey

Wait, so you can fit 4 people in there for $11,000 total? That's not bad at all. For some reason I thought it was 10,000 per person.

If I'm ballin' next year I'd be down for it.

5/16: Mount Kimbie @ Neumo's
    5/21: Fever Ray @ The Showbox
    5/25-27: Sasquatch
    6/9: Huichica Music Festival
    6/5: Sleep @ The Showbox
    6/6: King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard @ the Showbox
    6/23: Snail Mail, Bonny Doon @ The Crocodile
    7/12: My Bloody Valentine @ Paramount
    7/21: Bombino @ The Crocodile
    9/6: The War on Drugs, Land of Talk @ The Paramount

Yeah that's right. $11k all up which gets you two queen sized beds with four Artist Guests tickets.

Sep: Future, Bryson Tiller, Duke Dumont, Mac Miller
    Nov: Drake, Winston Surfshirt
    Dec: The Weeknd, NAV, French Montana
    Jan: Earl Sweatshirt, the XX
    Feb: Tiesto, Sydney City Limits
    Apr: Lana Del Rey

Yeah. I was talking with a friend who had a good point - stuff like this is the perfect reason to open a new credit card with some sort of 0% for the first year or 6 month or whatever plan and then pay it off.

5/16: Mount Kimbie @ Neumo's
    5/21: Fever Ray @ The Showbox
    5/25-27: Sasquatch
    6/9: Huichica Music Festival
    6/5: Sleep @ The Showbox
    6/6: King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard @ the Showbox
    6/23: Snail Mail, Bonny Doon @ The Crocodile
    7/12: My Bloody Valentine @ Paramount
    7/21: Bombino @ The Crocodile
    9/6: The War on Drugs, Land of Talk @ The Paramount

If I ever win the lottery, I'm doing Safari. Every year. I've never stayed in a Safari tent, but it sounds like heaven.

I will say that guest access is AMAZING. For starters, the golf carts are a lifesaver, especially in the earlier hours of the day when it's unbearably hot. The artist lounge also has lots of free bottled water and sometimes popsicles, and there's a helpful shaded, scenic chill and charge area by a lake.

The only set I couldn't get right up front for was Thundercat. Arrived 10 minutes into his set and access to the guest area was shut down due to overcrowding. I didn't attempt to see Gaga, but I had tons of room for everything I saw in the tents and was able to get about five rows back from Lorde when arriving halfway through her set. And getting that close for Radiohead normally would require an all day and night KROQKen-style commitment, but really, you could have just waltzed in after the xx and been right up front.

Blind item: this artist that gets all the millennials excited arrived in a fleet of vehicles that included at least one Rolls Royce. And was swarmed by people seeking pictures in the artist compound, even though signs clearly forbade the usage of cameras.

ThatGirl, I did get to spend some time from side/backstage last year (guess it's still okay for earlier in the day artists), but honestly the view leaves a lot to desired, so I just went down to the crowd after I had my fill of the novelty of being onstage.

Also, backstage catering is world class. You have to have meal tickets, though. However, they do have a lot of great refreshing drinks and desserts available to the side without meal tickets.
    Last edited by Boourns; 04-30-2017 at 08:49 PM.