Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Man's never been in Marquee when it's shutdown eh? Truss Me Daddiiii

Default Re: Man's never been in Marquee when it's shutdown eh? Truss Me Daddiiii

NOOOOOO

Hopefully he figures it out by weekend 2 but damn that sucks.

Default Re: Man's never been in Marquee when it's shutdown eh? Truss Me Daddiiii

Out for Weekend 2 as well
    Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    Uhh, Gil Scott-Heron is kinda dead, dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymous96 View Post
    Whoops lol, that's what happens with my piss poor knowledge of rap

well fuck.

Now I can go see Carla Morrison, but I was really looking forward to this one.

This is really shitty, but at least it frees up some time to see DJ EZ
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.
    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    poor spook poop

old school

... and we're back

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

It's Booted Back Up!
    "HIGH END RAP MUSIC! GHETTO STADIUM SHIT! THEY AIN'T WANT US AT THE FESTIVALS
    NOW WE WILL RUN THEM!"
    -Some Guy

Konnichiwa, motherfuckers.

I was worried his set was going to be... Shut down.
    Anything is possible...

Yeaaaaaaaaah
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

FUCK YES
    anything could happen

My saddest moment at Coachella probably ever was on my way in thru the gates, reading the app saying that he had to cancel last year. SO EXCITED HE'LL BE THERE THIS TIME.
    My old account "Mikey1313666" is down for whatever reason.

See all you goons there!

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    See all you goons there!
    His set is going to be packed to the gills though, wont it.

Quote Originally Posted by mikey1313 View Post
    This may belong on the Set Times thread, but... Main? 1-3pm? A La B.o.B., Childish Gambino, Action Bronson(2015) or Kendrick(2012)?
    Anything is possible...

Quote Originally Posted by mikey1313 View Post
    Ehh...I mean...maybe? It's hard to tell. No radio singles, he's not really a US celebrity, it's still pretty aggressive mosh-around music which isn't necessarily the biggest crossover genre, especially without US radio play/hits. I think he could play Sahara still. I also think he'll be on the main stage, though, which helps it.

Quote Originally Posted by Twattycakes View Post
    This may belong on the Set Times thread, but... Main? 1-3pm? A La B.o.B., Childish Gambino, Action Bronson(2015) or Kendrick(2012)?
    He's billed much higher than all those acts though.

Ehh...I mean...maybe? It's hard to tell. No radio singles, he's not really a US celebrity, it's still pretty aggressive mosh-around music which isn't necessarily the biggest crossover genre, especially without US radio play/hits. I think he could play Sahara still. I also think he'll be on the main stage, though, which helps it.
    I'd seriously much prefer a Main Stage set...but I have a hard time picturing that happening.

Just hope his visa is all set before the day of the show.
    2014 Wk1 , 2015 Wk2, 2016 Wk1, 2017 Wk2

Quote Originally Posted by M0D3Z View Post
    Would really make Hell a less enjoyable place. I want to be able to see Satan as he tortures me.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Surely there was grime on the Pure Filth stage in 2011
    My first Coachella what happened? Random stages like that are always a win

I think he is considered a celeb to the younger demographic. He doesn't have any top singles in the US but is well know due to his ties with Drake and OVO ect. Barring a disastrous set time conflict, expect his show to be pretty crowded

Quote Originally Posted by nicolasilva View Post
    I think he is considered a celeb to the younger demographic. He doesn't have any top singles in the US but is well know due to his ties with Drake and OVO ect. Barring a disastrous set time conflict, expect his show to be pretty crowded
    They fucking better put him somewhere outdoor......but he'll wind up scheduled for the Sahara again. Just watch.

I've seen Skepta on an outdoor stage and inside a tent and outdoor set was much better in my opinion. Crowd gets pretty rowdy at it, mosh pits etc

I honestly don't see him overpacking the Sahara any more so than an artist like Kungs
    NOW WE WILL RUN THEM!"
    -Some Guy

Yeah I don't see it either, guys. He's popular, for sure. But if G-Eazy and Rae Sremmurd can play the Sahara, then Skepta totally fucking can. Those acts were way larger at the time than Skepta is. He doesn't even have a radio hit.

FWIW AlunaGeorge was really comfortable in the Sahara (full tent, but plenty of room to breathe) and I feel like AlunaGeorge had way more exposure with radio hits and big EDM features.

Yeah I don't see it either, guys. He's popular, for sure. But if G-Eazy and Rae Sremmurd can play the Sahara, then Skepta totally fucking can. Those acts were way larger at the time than Skepta is. He doesn't even have a radio hit.

FWIW AlunaGeorge was really comfortable in the Sahara (full tent, but plenty of room to breathe) and I feel like AlunaGeorge had way more exposure with radio hits and big EDM features.
    I don't think anyone is arguing that Skepta CAN'T play the Sahara, just saying would prefer to see him on a stage where it wont be as crowded. I wasn't at his set, but I assume G-Eazy was a mad house in the Sahara last year.

I just think we are really overvaluing Skepta here. He's big and people will come for a maybe Drake appearance especially if Drake is there Saturday for Future/Majid Jordan. But he's still kinda only has 1 big song here (that never got on billboard and only got to 39 in the U.K.) and Grime hasn't crossed over just cause more people know it. It's still a sound that hasn't captured America. He will be way more than fine.
    NOW WE WILL RUN THEM!"
    -Some Guy

I get it, I'm just saying I think people are overpredicting his crowd size based on the passionate behavior from the people that are actually fans.

For reference, he's playing the Fonda in LA, a 1,200 capacity venue, the same venue that Roisin Murphy, DJ Shadow, Classixx, The Avalanches, etc are playing.

When G-Eazy played LA last, he played The Forum, capacity 17,505.

In SF, he's playing 1015 Folsom, a decent sized club. Other acts scheduled around him in that venue are Anna Lunoe, Modeselektor, Rezz, Gramatik.

Whereas the rest of the Sahara big names are playing Bill Graham, a 7,000 person venue. Acts that have played/are playing that venue (I see the sign from my window every day) are Marshmello, Galantis, The Chainsmokers (two nights), Zeds Dead, Shelter Tour (two nights), GRiZ, etc.

I mean maybe his manager is wayyyyyyy underestimating his drawing power, but he's playing much smaller venues than artists we're assuming can play the Sahara comfortably.

Skepta doesn't really have a younger appeal to the high school kids or college bros. but if he's in the sahara those sahara campers will probably dig how hectic it is and it'll probably be somewhat packed.

edit: spelling
    5/19/17 Thundercat @ Observatory SD
    6/8/17 Sam Gellaitry @ Observatory SD
    6/21/17 Roger Waters @ Staples Center
    7/1/17 Tycho, Todd Terje & the Olsens, and Jaga Jazzist @ Greek LA
    8/6/17 Kendrick Lamar @ Staples Center
    8/12/17 Hans Zimmer @ Viejas Arena

I get it, I'm just saying I think people are overpredicting his crowd size based on the passionate behavior from the people that are actually fans.

For reference, he's playing the Fonda in LA, a 1,200 capacity venue, the same venue that Roisin Murphy, DJ Shadow, Classixx, The Avalanches, etc are playing.

When G-Eazy played LA last, he played The Forum, capacity 17,505.

In SF, he's playing 1015 Folsom, a decent sized club. Other acts scheduled around him in that venue are Anna Lunoe, Modeselektor, Rezz, Gramatik.

Whereas the rest of the Sahara big names are playing Bill Graham, a 7,000 person venue. Acts that have played/are playing that venue (I see the sign from my window every day) are Marshmello, Galantis, The Chainsmokers (two nights), Zeds Dead, Shelter Tour (two nights), GRiZ, etc.

I mean maybe his manager is wayyyyyyy underestimating his drawing power, but he's playing much smaller venues than artists we're assuming can play the Sahara comfortably.
    i dont think this is because of his popularity but because of his visa issues. If he had a show at Bill Graham but had to cancel because of visa issues, thats at least 7000 refunded tickets as opposed to 1200-1500. Maybe im wrong and he isnt as popular as we(I) think he is, but with the visa issues, smaller venues would make more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by nicolasilva View Post
    i dont think this is because of his popularity but because of his visa issues. If he had a show at Bill Graham but had to cancel because of visa issues, thats at least 7000 refunded tickets as opposed to 1200-1500. Maybe im wrong and he isnt as popular as we(I) think he is, but with the visa issues, smaller venues would make more sense.
    But even if this is true, then you'd expect a near instant sellout. If, say, Marshmello played the Fonda in LA, it would be sold out in seconds. Good tickets are available for Skepta's Fonda show, and it's been on sale for nine days.

He's popular, but he's not some giant draw. He can easily play daytime Sahara and not overflow the tent.

He's popular, but he's not some giant draw. He can easily play daytime Sahara and not overflow the tent.
    I hope you're right.