Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The good and the bad of it

Default Re: The good and the bad of it

Quote Originally Posted by axiom20xx View Post
    yes. do people actually enjoy the Jive Joint?
    Yes. I always make the effort to check out the late night shows and they are always a treat. I'll never forget my first Jive Joint experience. I've caught all of his performances at Coachella since 2013.
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Spamalot (7/31), HARD (8/1) 2001 Space Odyssey with LA Phil (8/12), Opeth (10/18), TOOL (10/31), Coachella 2016 (WK1), David Gilmour (Wherever I need to go)

Quote Originally Posted by axiom20xx View Post
    yes. do people actually enjoy the Jive Joint?
    I dig the Jive Joint, a comedy show and ukulele jams at 3am in the campgrounds are actually a pretty damn good night cap.
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    if he is scared of your noodle you may not get in with it.

It didn't matter where you stood for any of the shows, the sound was excellent all over. Don't think it could get better actually.

Other than the bathrooms by the Sahara and Mojave, the bathrooms were a breeze and usually always clean.

The laser path lights and signs were very helpful

Breaking up the security check points at the entrance by path saved everyone time. Great way to keep lines down to a minimum.

Was it just me or did the Main and Outdoor beer garden seem bigger this year? I felt you could see the stages better than years past.

If Coachella is going for the creating the best "experience" at the fest, they surely have succeeded in that regard. Yes, the lineup was the weakest I have seen over the course of my 13 years of going to this fest, so hopefully they will improve upon that. But as far as running a well oiled machine, Coachella is doing a great job and I had one of the best times I have had this year.

One little suggestion, for the speaker tower labels, label the Main Stage towers M1, M2, M3, etc and label the Outdoor Theater towers O1, O2, O3, etc. Usually when texting someone location you would write "Just to the left of A3 tower Main stage" or whatever. If you change the letters to M or O, people automatically will know which stage you are at. It's those little things that make things so much easier.
    It's funny how everything was roses when we held on to the guns.

Quote Originally Posted by shotglass75 View Post

Was it just me or did the Main and Outdoor beer garden seem bigger this year? I felt you could see the stages better than years past.
    To me, it looked bigger on the map when I first saw it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorAve View Post
    Careful, while the threats are amusingly clueless, I could probably have this whole board shut down with one phone call.
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    2. Migos- The new Beatles.

Lurker

CON: the complete lack of bathrooms near the entrance (on both sides of the fence). Leaving the festival, if you didnt pee in one of the beer gardens first (out of the way) and were camping in Lot 10, you had to go way out of way your way or wait until you got near the NRG house to find some freaking Porto's. Feel like this encouraged peeing on the grass/near people's tents. The pro of this was of course less of a bottleneck leaving the festival, but honestly i wouldve preferred bathrooms

PROS:
    - logistics and wait times were dramatically improved
    - the weather, we were spoiled.
    - space and accessibility during sets (not including Sahara)
    - cell phone reception (AT&T)
    - campgrounds/polo fields port-a-pottys and added bathrooms
    - merch booth wait times
    - security. the most lax ever
    - corporate headquarters. fucking brilliant. all of the art installations were great, except the bear swing at night. those eyes though...

CONS:
    - waiting time for car camping. significantly longer, even though we hit the line before 11AM. we were disappointed that our group of 8 cars was relegated to Lot 10. we also got sandwiched between raging douchebags camps who went too hard, woke up too early and played Drake and David Guetta all weekend long.
    - the crowd at the Sahara tent. seriously, such pieces of shit. sucked the fun right out of the two sets i ventured to: Ratatat and Gramatik. trying to get in and out of the tent was a nightmare, i hated it.
    - not bringing bacon. jiffy pop was on point, pancakes were great, but not having bacon hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by tealcelluloid View Post
    - the crowd at the Sahara tent. seriously, such pieces of shit. sucked the fun right out of the two sets i ventured to: Ratatat and Gramatik. trying to get in and out of the tent was a nightmare, i hated it.
    - not bringing bacon. jiffy pop was on point, pancakes were great, but not having bacon hurt.
    Damn, those were the only Sahara sets I even considered attending WE2. I figured Ratatat's crowd would not be filled with the usual Sahara children (expected they would move over to the Outdoor for the Swedish House Mafia duo). And Gramatik was really good when I caught him and his band at Phoenix's MMM festival last year -- EDM, yes, but of the non-cheesy variety. Had thought his set was early enough that the crowd might be smaller and we could enjoy it from the back of the tent. Still give them both a try, I suppose, but ready to bail (my wife's tolerance for the crowd sucking is much less than mine).

And bacon makes everything better. Never camp without bacon.

Quote Originally Posted by shotglass75 View Post
    If not bigger, clearly reconfigured. I was surprised by how easy it was to watch sets from the beer garden between the main and outdoor. We watched Azealia Banks from there and the whole beer garden was dancing. It was the best sightline to the main I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by santasutt View Post
    To me, it looked bigger on the map when I first saw it.
    I will take the laboring oar in performing some careful, time-consuming research on this issue this weekend. You're welcome.
    I have been to concerts. I will go to concerts in the future.

Pros:
    - getting in and out of the grounds was incredibly easy. Lines to get in were minimal and security was actually doing a great job.
    - loved the new path from the terrace to Sahara. Seemed to ease some of the horrific bottlenecks around the Sahara/Mojave we've seen in the past
    - lineup ended up being fantastic, almost every performer I saw really brought it. I feel a little foolish for doubting this lineup when it came out.
    - sound was generally very good, although at times it seemed like the Gobi was a bit off.
    - food was very good. Loved my sandwich and breakfast burrito that I think was from Custom Butcher (??) in the campground. Crab fries are also still fantastic.
    - employees pretty much everywhere were awesome, except for the girls selling water at the carts who literally demanded tips which pretty much obliterates the fun of tipping.
    - loved the less crowded sets and being able to move and dance around except for Drive Like Jehu which was just sadly almost totally empty.

Cons:

- the 4.5 hour wait to get into the campground on Thursday morning. We arrived at 8:40 and didn't get in until around 1:00 and ended up on 111 st.
    I've read that many people didn't have this problem so perhaps we just had a terrible line. I did see security confiscate what looked like about 3/4 of a pound of pot from a car ahead of us which may have contributed to the slowness of our line
    - no printed set times or camp magazine when we entered the campground.
    - raising beer prices. Was this really necessary? Was charging $9 for a Heineken not getting the bills paid? I can't remember if craft was $11 last year or not but I know Heinie went from $9 to $10.
    - cell service. I had almost none with T-mobile so meeting back up with friends was difficult at times. Not sure where the blame lies here.
    - the art. Corporate headquarters was fun and the butterfly was beautiful but I was not really overly impressed with anything else. The lack of art in the campground was especially disappointing.

Overall it was another wonderful year. This festival keeps trying to up its game each year and for the most part, they are succeeding.

Forgot one huge pro: all of you!! I don't know what it was but it seemed like everyone we met was just incredibly fun, friendly, and laid back. Perhaps it was because we avoided the sahara but I just felt the crowd was probably the best I've seen it in 4 years of going.

And one more minor con: the gates were late to open on Friday morning which was a bit of a bummer.

Jesus Christ. $10 for a goddamn Heineken?
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyInHeaven View Post
    Devin - how does it feel to know that there are still more women in the world that would fuck me at this very moment than would fuck you?

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Jesus Christ. $10 for a goddamn Heineken?
    It was worth it until I got home and realized I spent $280 in the beer gardens.

Coachella 2017
    Solange April 21

That's only 9 beers per day. Not bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

+

Yuma - my oasis, Fabric, Ibiza, "new Sahara" & more in the desert. More of MK, Ben Klock, Jon Hopkins, Carl Craig and the likes type of programming for 2016 & beyond, please.

-

Lack of soundproof stage for quiet sets - Sufjan Stevens & co. for 2016. About time!

The Good
    - Coachella was incredible this year. Iíve never experienced such a high level of organization or comfort at a festival and the crowds were almost uniformly respectful and engaged at every set.
    - Entry and egress were easier than ever and security was infinitely more competent and friendly than last year.
    -The Sahara actually felt good for the first time in years. My only semi-negative crowd interaction of the weekend was with a bro barging in to the front during Alison Wonderland but he quickly apologized and started dancing so it was fine. Seems like a lot of these new-gen EDM kids have finally figured it out.
    -The shuttles are fully sorted out. No wait at all going to or leaving the fest on all three days (Tennis Garden line)
    -The improved and expanded craft beer area and main stage beer garden/full bar were excellent.
    -The human traffic flow was vastly improved. It no longer felt like swimming upstream just to get from stage to stage.

The Bad
    -Iím still unable to arrive at Coachella when the gates open if I take a shuttle. Itís frustrating to lose almost an hour of Coachella each day due to this. Shuttles should start at 10am, not 11:15ish.
    -Yuma was always too far away from everything else (including portos) and seemed too big for its modest crowds. Really missed the 2014 incarnation with its right angle tent and outdoor area with toilets and the New York pizza truck.
    -Heineken House is still lame. Please bring back the Heineken Dome.
    -The screens on several stages were out of synch with the audio at various times. This was especially noticeable during Azealia Banks.
    -WTF was with drug dogs sniffing around? Saw one being led around the lockers and another in the Yuma!

Weekend 2 edition:

Pros:
    - Yuma and ferris wheel placement. I was skeptical of this, but it worked out. The Yuma line never interfered with anything else like before, and I always thought the ferris wheel was needlessly out of the way to get to.
    - The Gobi. I liked the chandelier additions last year, and it got even fancier this year. Made seeing a plethora of acts in there even more enjoyable.
    - The caterpillar/butterfly. That company continues to outdo themselves each year. Already can't wait to see how they top it in 2016.
    - Didn't shuttle this year, but this was the least congested traffic I've experienced of any year that I've driven.
    - Food improves each year. Didn't even get to try everything that I wanted to.
    - Might just be me since I went to several fairly empty sets, but I had shockingly consistent cell service, and I use fucking AT&T.

Cons:
    - So, that selfie stick ban? Not really effective when I still saw a dozen selfie sticks each day.
    - GoPros also still need to be banned.
    - A friend had her wallet stolen on Sunday and it took us an hour for staff to refer us to a police officer. We need more consistent access to police instead of having them all out on Monroe enforcing pointless detours.

Misc:
    - This isn't really a con, but I think the art installations have peaked. They were still very good this year, but they weren't better than last year.
    - The craft beer tent is no longer an open secret, but it's still far preferable to any of the other beer gardens.
    - The idea of permanent bathrooms was more enticing than it actually turned out to be.

The art pretty much sucked this year. The hippo thing was cool, but that was about it. The butterfly/catepillar thing was sorta cool, but I'm pretty over Poetic Kinetics....its all the same stuff year after year with just a new skin. The Party God has to be the stupidest fucking art piece that has ever graced the polo field (next to the "flaming tornado")....what was even the point of it? So a bunch of bros could have another spot to take selfies? They should have moved that giant ant earth-mover in it's place, instead of sticking it next to that shitty Sahara tent. What a shame.

So much good stuff in terms of the overall feel of the festival this year -- the weekend one weather was dreamy and it's the first time in a few years without a dustpocalypse.

Overall, everything felt *way* less crowded and far more pleasant than last year.

Maybe it's just the first time that I noticed it, but the terrace area with all of the lampshades this year was a great retreat and a nice way to avoid heavy Sahara crowds. It was also nice that there was an entrance from that area to the Rose Garden.

I love the hippos, but the rest of the grounds felt kind of light on art. Although maybe that's what made everything else feel roomy?

Aside from Friday night, getting in/out of parking was super easy.

And now, the tiniest violins: it was sometimes really challenging for photographers to get to the photo areas, especially at the mainstage. Which, I know, isn't going to garner a lot of sympathy, but it sucks to have to bother people by squeezing past them to get in and out.

More thoughts after weekend 2:

Pros
    -It may be just me, but it appears that the artist/industry/whatever sections for the stages other than the main were decreased in size slightly and moved further away from the center. It would be great if this could also be done for the section at the main, especially since it was pretty much always almost completely empty, even during the headliners.
    -Gates opened on time/early most days during Weekend 2.
    -Record Store Day releases were available early on Friday.

Cons
    -Although the permanent bathrooms were great, they obviously need to work on the septic tanks, which were leaking throughout Weekend 2.
    -The slippery floor in the Yuma. It made it hard to dance without falling on my ass, and I saw one person fall and slide across the floor on the way in.
    -No internet using T-Mobile at any point either weekend, despite full bars, although texting worked fine. Last year it was the opposite.
    -The current iteration of the record store is still lacking in comparison to both Zia and whoever ran it before (Virgin?). They carry vinyl and cassettes, and that's it. If the artist you just saw and loved only puts out cds, you'll just have to wait until after the festival to buy their album. They also didn't carry any of the RSD releases that included cds. This seemed especially ridiculous given how much empty space there was in there.
    -At one point on Friday W2 they were scanning people's wristbands on the way in and out of the Yuma tents, which created a long line even though there was plenty of space inside. Not sure if they were trying to track of the number of people inside or what, but it took way too much time. Kinda weird since they weren't doing that the other times I went in.

Quote Originally Posted by hurryupmode View Post
    More thoughts after weekend 2:

Pros
    -It may be just me, but it appears that the artist/industry/whatever sections for the stages other than the main were decreased in size slightly and moved further away from the center. It would be great if this could also be done for the section at the main, especially since it was pretty much always almost completely empty, even during the headliners.
    Cant speak for Jack White but that area was packed out for AC/DC & Drake (even Bieber couldn't get in )

It fills up for junk at night, but is completely empty all day
    DREAM BIGGER

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    If not bigger, clearly reconfigured. I was surprised by how easy it was to watch sets from the beer garden between the main and outdoor. We watched Azealia Banks from there and the whole beer garden was dancing. It was the best sightline to the main I've ever seen.
    Totally! We did this during Marina and it was so amazing. I have never been a big fan of beer gardens other than the Beer Barn, but this year made a believer out of me. We went into the Main stage garden during part of Jack White and it was great also, many people dancing and singing in there. Definitely going to be going in those a lot more next year...

Pros:
    I agree with so much of what others have said - this year was incredible. I could not stop saying WOW all the time.
    - Yuma tent! I for one liked the location, it made it especially awesome to go in there as your first or last set of the day. Tiger & Woods starting in there on Sunday was BRILLIANT and made me really understand why the Yuma is great (haven't been compelled to spend much time there the past 2 years). I took off my shoes, so the slippery smooth floor was really nice actually, but I also did see a girl slip and fall while in there due to the floor.
    - 3 blocks of permanent ladies' bathrooms centrally located = NICE. It wasn't as nice for the guys, who had to walk all the way down to the Do Lab. Bathrooms elsewhere were mostly not that bad.
    - All the staff, security, and volunteers I encountered were really friendly and knew what they were doing this year
    - Ok, this is prob just me (I'm pretty sensitive to crazy loud bass/giant subwoofers that rattle your chest) but I found this year to be more tolerable volume-wise across the board, it was almost never too loud for me when wearing earplugs, so I was happy! In 2014 I had serious problems with the volume at a lot of stages even with the plugs.
    - The food, craft beer, Cantina, popsicles, shade structures, and lounges were all great and much appreciated. I haven't been a huge fan of most of the lounges in the past, but the ones we checked out this year were fun and a nice break with good AC.
    - The caterpillar and butterfly were awesome, love their creation every year
    - Camp magazine is AWESOME, I love it sooo much!!!

Cons:
    - Sigh, I still just really can't get used to this record store. I have not bought anything in there since Zia left because I just find the new layout and selection kind of irksome compared to what there used to be at Zia. First of all, it was always really hot in there during the day (did not feel very air conditioned) and only cool at night, not helpful. The selection is not enough to be satisfying, and I think the lack of CDs is a mistake. The vintage records are really awesome and cool and interesting, but I don't want to look through those during Coachella. Oh, and having to pay $5 to store your purchases with them?? THAT'S BULLSHIT.
    - I wish there was a more organized way of distributing the Camp magazines. Last year they were given out at the info booths, which was great. This year, they were in boxes in pile along the path, and a guy with a megaphone almost caused a stampede by saying, "Once they're gone, they're gone!". It got a bit chaotic there for a second... PEOPLE WANT DEM MAGAZINES.
    - The "Party God" sculpture thing was probably the lamest art I've ever seen at Coachella
    Quote Originally Posted by svatomictwist View Post
    I spin in both directions, and I also dance in FRACTIONS.
    2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011!!!, 2012 (w1), 2013 (w2), 2014! (w2), 2015!! (w2), 2016 (w2), 2017 (w2)...

Quote Originally Posted by Riflesmile View Post
    Cant speak for Jack White but that area was packed out for AC/DC & Drake (even Bieber couldn't get in )
    That's interesting. I walked up to the rail behind it for the middle part of AC/DC's set during weekend 1, and although there were a bunch of people in the front and on the right, most of it was empty and I had a clear view of the stage. Same when I saw the end of Jack White during weekend 2. I remember thinking it was totally bizarre.

Without Cell phone, life is like a math problem which can't be solved.

Reviving this thread for 2016 - W1 attendees, tell us everything!! I wanna hear how it went, how crowded it was, overall thoughts, etc etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by svatomictwist View Post
    I spin in both directions, and I also dance in FRACTIONS.
    2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011!!!, 2012 (w1), 2013 (w2), 2014! (w2), 2015!! (w2), 2016 (w2), 2017 (w2)...

Here are my Random Thoughts. Sorry if its disjointed, run on sentences, but thats how its coming out on a Monday.

Car Camping:
    Last year we got there a little after 9 and didn't pull into our spot until after 2. This year we got there a little after 7 and pulled into our spot around 10. People keep showing up earlier and earlier, I think GV will be forced to reevaluate how they are handling this. Traffic on teh streets is not good and the lot to get checked in was full by 730. They started checking cars around 8 instead of 9 to, I presume, alleviate the traffic that had to be awful on the streets. Anyways, for the planners out there, I got there at 7am on Thursday and got 6 rows back from teh front. Loved our spot, felt great to be back in Lot 8.

Security:
    I think it sucks to complain about security, but after how awesome it was last year, this year was terrible. Took almost an hour to get in on Friday at about 1 pm or so. Metal detectors were new this year. Generally were just plain rude. I understand that just the threat of being searched keeps people from bringing things in, but it boggles my mind how they are never on the same page. Had friends get sunscreen taken away. For the second straight year, my brother had no problem sneaking an almost full bag of wine in.

The Stages:
    Upgrades to the main were awesome. Sound was great in the front of the Gobi and Mohave. Despacio very, very cool. Even though I am a big fan of the music in the Yuma, for some reason didn't go in once. Not a fan of going into a dark tent when the weather is so nice outside and my nights had too many must sees. Do Lab was the same stage as last year. Seemed packed to the brim every time I went over there. Blocking off the back of the Sahara is nice when you are in it, but looks terrible form the outside.

The crowds:
    Overall not terrible. The worst by far was leaving Underworld. We were maybe 5 feet from rail and everyone crammed in for G Easy after. During the sets I had great sing alongs with strangers all weekend and people were loving it.

Cell phones:
    ya, with how many damn charging stations are, this gets its own section. People on them everywhere when not at sets. Not sure if its the sets I went to but I definitely noticed way less people filming on their phones, which was a nice surprise. The worst ware the females posting for those perfect insta pics all over the place. All you can do is laugh. In terms of service, no problem on verizon, but a little too slow to stream spotify in the campgrounds. We were able to stream some nba and nhl games on at&t though when we were hanging out in the mornings.

Oh, the actual music:
    -Miami Horrors were awesome. Climbing the stage and hanging from the top while kicking his feet was nuts. One of the Better early sets I saw.

-Bob Moses was good but not great

-2manydjs into Underworld was great. Had no problem getting in and having plenty of room. Once 2manydjs ended, had no problem getting 5 feet from rail. Bass was too heavy for 2manydjs, but soundsed perfect for Underworld. A lot of people upfront were jsut camped out for G Easy. Great Glowruption.

-Parov Stelar was a fucking party. Made my whole group of people instant fans. Not sure I have seen a tent dance like that for a full set.

-LCD delivered. Stayed closer to teh sound booth to have some room. Loved James Murphy's commentary. Still singing "so you wanted a hit," in my head 3 days later.

-Moon Taxi was a good way to start Saturday. Sounded good, could use some more action from a stage presence point of view

-Enjoyed Gary Clark Jr from the beer garden

-Watching Bernie introduce RTJ was funny. Peoples reactions ranged from freaking out and running to the stage to just plain booing.

-Rufus Du Sol was one of my favorites of the weekend. Again, the whole tent was eating it up and dancing the entire time.

-GnR was great. Enjoyed the entire set. Got back to camp way too pumped up to fall asleep.

-Claptone Immortal Live was a little bit of a letdown. Songs were great, but for some reason I thought it being "Live" meant more than just new visuals.

-Joywave started with a weird message saying they werent playing, but I guess that is their thing? Sounded good, enjoyed their visuals and thought their frontman did a good job of hying up the crowd without being overly annoying.

-Tokimonsta was not what I was expecting. Left after 5 minutes. What were those trees doing on stage?

After this we were tired, didn't have any must sees and had to work today so we left. But on the way out Matt and Kim looked like they were killing it on Main stage.

Other odds and ends:
    - Seemed like girls finally figured out that high waisted shorts are not flattering. Saw significantly less flabby ass cheaks hanging out of jeans

-My wife and I thought it was crazy how many people weren't wearing Bras. I mean, I am ok with it, just seems like some support for those puppies would make for a more enjoyable day.

-Beer barn was good as usual

-Had a great time in the activities tent thursday night dancing. The DJ in the dome was absolutely miserable when we walked by.

-The wind did not negatively impact the weekend at all. If anything, it cooled us down those first two days.

I'm sure I'll think of some other comments as I continue to decompress. Overall it was another great weekend and I'll be purchasing presale on Layaway

Regarding security. With the state of the world these days especially after the recent attacks in France and Belgium security measures at events like this will get tougher and tougher. It's for the best and Goldenvoice doesn't really have a choice at this point.
    Last edited by JustSteve; 04-18-2016 at 02:32 PM.

I totally agree with that. Had no problem with metal detectors or the fact that they just straight up dumped peoples bags out. But throwing away a perfectly good bottle of sunscreen seems a little strange.

The good
    -Despacio!
    -Sound quality was good for almost every one of the acts I saw.
    -Free RTJ bandanas
    -The new mainstage video screens were epic! I loved how they wrapped around the sides, making it easier to see the screens from different angles, and that they didn't have to be lowered due to wind. It also seemed like they were higher quality than the old ones too. I also really enjoyed the pictures of the desert they put up on the screens between bands.
    -The problem with sewage leakage from the permanent bathrooms seems to have been fixed.
    -One of the coffee places was selling ebelskiver ice cream sliders and they were delicious.

The bad (Apologies in advance for the length, but there were a lot of problems this year)
    ADA experience was hit or miss:
    -Although on the first day we were immediately offered a shuttle ride to the entrance when we arrived at the ADA lot, the next two days it seemed the lot workers were always way on the other side of the lot, and it was easier to walk to the entrance than flag one of them down.
    -Like everything else on the first day, the access center was running late setting up; although we had no problems getting our wristbands, they were in the process of setting up their wheelchair ramp only about 5-10min before 11am (when doors were supposed to open).
    -Most of the viewing platforms were great, but the ones at the main stage were too small for the number of people who wanted to use them and didn't have enough chairs for everyone even though there was plenty of space to put more.
    -On the way out, the LED signs did not list ADA/lot 11 as being part of the blue path, and although the blue banners did, it was difficult to read them in the dark, so it took a few minutes to figure out where to go. I was also extremely disappointed by the traffic routing when we drove out. Last year when we didn't need to park in ADA, we parked in the northwest lot and were able to drive out immediately and head staight towards Highway 111; we usually got back to our hotel in 30 minutes or so. But because the ADA lot is on the southeast side, we were routed in the opposite direction of our hotel, with traffic at almost a complete dead stop, and it took 2-3 HOURS to get back the first two nights. It only took about an hour on night three, but it would have been a lot faster if the traffic directors hadn't been prioritizing traffic coming out of the staff parking lot, which kept us on Monroe St. for almost 20 minutes. I really think that it's fucked up that if you're a physically capable individual, you have the option of parking somewhere that lets you leave immediately, but people with disabilities are expected to be able to drive in stop and go traffic and not get back to their hotels until almost 4 fucking AM. We chose to sacrifice sleep so that we would still be able to see the bands we wanted to at the beginning of each day, but not everyone who parks in the ADA lot is physically capable of that.
    -The art this year sucked, period. The Armpit was the closest thing we got to something interactive, and while the rest of the installations might have been fine in combination with better art, it was obvious that the festival was more concerned with the works having a small footprint than with having good art. Because all the art was at the north end of the grounds, the area around the Mojave and the Sahara looked empty and lacked out of the way meetup places. I miss when we used to get art from Burning Man.
    -Major Lazer noise bleed at the Outdoor stage completely ruined the end of Edward Sharpe's admittedly mediocre set.
    -The yurts in the terrace didn't have as many options as in previous years.
    -The way the area between the Outdoor and Gobi was arranged with the food area next to the water refill station next to an art piece next to the porta potties made it really difficult to get between the two stages or into that food area once it got crowded.
    -New ban on blankets, towels and glow sticks is ridiculous, considering it does not seem to have been enforced and they were selling towels and blankets in the boutique.
    -Many problems from previous years still persist, it doesn't seem like they're even trying to fix them: they keep telling us the gates open 11, but they never do on day 1; the shuttles don't even start running until 11, making it impossible to get to the grounds before the gates open (I would actually use them otherwise); trying to exit the venue from the main stage continues to be a clusterfuck due to the narrow exit paths; the record store has yet to get back to the level of quality that it had when Zia was running it; and the Yuma dancefloor is slippery enough that I saw someone slide, trip and take down two other people.

?
    The security search was much lighter than usual all three days. Even though my bag was packed full of stuff, they never asked me to take everything out like they usually do, and took me at my word for what was in the side pockets without opening them.