Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The good and the bad of it

Default Re: The good and the bad of it

Did some of the speakers blow out during Fly Lo?

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    Ratatat's crowd was so fucking disrespectful and ridiculous compared to everything else I saw all weekend that I was taken aback. I had the best crowd experiences at this festival this year, and then dealt with so many assholes in the 30 minutes or so we stayed there. It was a shock to the system just because everywhere else had been so wonderful.
    I watched some of Ratatat, and it was underwhelming. Was there anything really that that they offered differently from their previous performances? Honestly, they should have the screens showing the guitarist, that's half of the fun is watching him go crazy on the guitar. The Sahara crowd wasn't expecting to end their night like that.

Coachella 2017
    Solange April 21

Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post
    No, I had the exact opposite experience. We had 16 cars and we were able to wait until everybody got into the waiting area before making our move to the campgrounds. When we got to our street, they tried lining us up in a row until we told them we were in a group and they were totally cool with us setting up back to back.
    I talked to the rent about it asking to change and he got in my face and said don't fuck with me i'm a cop.
    Everyone's a Photographer

Was the Jive Joint up and running in the campground?
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    if he is scared of your noodle you may not get in with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    Hate to keep correcting you.... but there was indeed a Camp magazine and it was full of great well written articles and even a touching tribute to Randy.

They even had Camp magazines on the last day... inside the festival. The record store had them all weekend...
    Shit! I didn't know they were in the fest. Its fucked up that they didn't give them out in El Dorado.

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    I could probably grab one for you guys next weekend.
    That would be so awesome! Thanks! PM me for our address.
    Back off war child.

For those of you that had trouble in the car-camping group waiting area, did you ultimately not end up camping with your whole group? They separated our cars but we just coordinated with another group near us that was also waiting for a few more cars to show up, and mostly just said fuck off to the people telling us that we couldn't wait any longer. It ended up being fine.

The craft beer barn's Friday crowd was the equivalent of last year's Sunday crowd, and by Sunday it was a fucking Sahara shitshow. I heard so many groups of people screaming "CHUG CHUG CHUG," and saw a ton of sloppy stumbling beer spillers and just your general chewface fuckery. It was fun while it lasted.

ADA access booth was easily to located and the people working there Friday morning were very sweet, the only time I wasn't able to get onto a riser was for AC/DC.

For like the third or fourth year in a row I had pretty much zero issues with the crowd during sets. Only once, really, during Father John Misty, when I was up pretty close along the rail, a young group of kids camping out for Tyler/Floss/A^I talked through almost the entire set about their roll and whether or not they should go to the bathroom and their roll their roll their roll. Luckily FJM was loud enough to pretty much drown them out and then they eventually did leave to go to the bathroom and likely further analyze their roll.

5/16: Mount Kimbie @ Neumo's
    5/21: Fever Ray @ The Showbox
    5/25-27: Sasquatch
    6/9: Huichica Music Festival
    6/5: Sleep @ The Showbox
    6/6: King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard @ the Showbox
    6/23: Snail Mail, Bonny Doon @ The Crocodile
    7/12: My Bloody Valentine @ Paramount
    7/21: Bombino @ The Crocodile
    9/6: The War on Drugs, Land of Talk @ The Paramount

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

Hate to keep correcting you.... but there was indeed a Camp magazine and it was full of great well written articles and even a touching tribute to Randy.

They even had Camp magazines on the last day... inside the festival. The record store had them all weekend...
    can someone please share the tribute with me?
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeaks View Post
    Good:
    El Dorado camping was worth the extra money. Really nice amenities.
    I tried to PM this to you but your inbox is full. Sorry for clogging up this thread.

My co-worker has El Dorado for Weekend 2 but cant make it. I said I would bring it down with me and try to sell it for him since he can't get rid of it where he is now. Is the pass linked to the wristbands? He has a 4 person tent and 4 GA wristbands, do the GA wristbands automatically link up with the camping pass? I might end up having to break them up to sell them and if I can't sell the El Dorado pass my group might just use it, but I'm not sure how that works.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The craft beer barn's Friday crowd was the equivalent of last year's Sunday crowd, and by Sunday it was a fucking Sahara shitshow. I heard so many groups of people screaming "CHUG CHUG CHUG," and saw a ton of sloppy stumbling beer spillers and just your general chewface fuckery. It was fun while it lasted.
    Oh I actually really didn't mind this crowd. It was noticeably more full than last year, but we always got a spot and thought in general the crowd was really friendly and we met some nice people. Actually to be honest, the crowds in the other beer gardens were great too. We watched Azaelia Banks from the main stage/outdoor beer garden (who killed it!) and everybody was super fun there, and the worst thing that happened to us in the main stage beer garden was that we were almost stepped on by a drunk girl in a lemur costume. I really had zero bad interactions at this festival with the exception of Ratatat in the Sahara and Gorgon City in the Gobi (and Gorgon City, we picked an awful spot right by the side entrance so that was mostly people just going in and out all show).

Honestly it was pretty much the most pleasant, friendly crowd I've ever seen at this festival.

Well la-tee-da. I never made it to the other beer gardens, but apparently the views of the stage at the outdoor were much better.

5/16: Mount Kimbie @ Neumo's
    5/21: Fever Ray @ The Showbox
    5/25-27: Sasquatch
    6/9: Huichica Music Festival
    6/5: Sleep @ The Showbox
    6/6: King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard @ the Showbox
    6/23: Snail Mail, Bonny Doon @ The Crocodile
    7/12: My Bloody Valentine @ Paramount
    7/21: Bombino @ The Crocodile
    9/6: The War on Drugs, Land of Talk @ The Paramount

Pretty sure it wasn't the normal Sahara crowd for ratatat. Especially since Axwell^Ingrosso were on at the same time. Also if you look at people's set lists of their favorite shows of the weekend most people who put down Ratatat didn't put down any other EDM performances which makes me believe it was just a shit show in general

Thursday morning getting into the grounds to be searched was terrible. I have been car camping since 2010 and this was by far the worst year. Did anyone else get an explanation on this? I would be surprised if the city didn't complain to Goldenvoice for backing up traffic on the main roads. We were stuck in a parking lot on Ave. 50 for like 90 minutes, and we only traveled a block.

It could have been due to the fact that people were on spring break, therefor more people arrived early to grab a spot in lot 8, but there should have been a lot more organization.
    Quote Originally Posted by eskamo951 View Post
    I have 38 days to figure out how my melted, destroyed body and mind will be transported from the Sahara back to my campsite after they kill us with beats

Quote Originally Posted by davers View Post
    I tried to PM this to you but your inbox is full. Sorry for clogging up this thread.

My co-worker has El Dorado for Weekend 2 but cant make it. I said I would bring it down with me and try to sell it for him since he can't get rid of it where he is now. Is the pass linked to the wristbands? He has a 4 person tent and 4 GA wristbands, do the GA wristbands automatically link up with the camping pass? I might end up having to break them up to sell them and if I can't sell the El Dorado pass my group might just use it, but I'm not sure how that works.

Thanks!
    As far as I know the GA wristband only gets you into the fest. The El Dorado reservation is separate, however you have to check in with one of those wristbands. There is a separate El Dorado wristband they give you upon checking in. You could sell the GA wristbands on their own. I hope that answered your question. I cleard my PM box
    Back off war child.

My GF and I entered on Friday to get merch then left to drop it all off at the campsite. We both scanned out like normal, but when we want to re-enter her wristband wasn't scanning green. This caused us to have to wait in a fucking hour-long line at customer service with a ton of other people with the same issue to get her wristband to allow re-entry. Apparently they were having network troubles. What was more annoying though, was when we re-entered at night and they were just directing people to scan out at the exit and immediately scan back in, which completely negates the whole fucking point of the scan-in/scan-out security system. What a joke!
    Last edited by ibuprofane; 04-14-2015 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeaks View Post
    That would be so awesome! Thanks! PM me for our address.
    I want one too!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Highly Refined Pirate View Post
    Was the Jive Joint up and running in the campground?
    yes. do people actually enjoy the Jive Joint?

How was the Coachella Explorer? Did VRation represent?

Pros
    -Smoother entry.
    -The parking attendants actually knew what they were doing from the beginning of day 1.
    -Security and staff were a lot more cheerful than last year.
    -The way the set times worked out so that bands of the same genre rarely played consecutively on the same stage meant that people kept moving rather than camping out for multiple bands, and made it easier for me to get good spots for the artists I wanted to see up close.
    -The new permanent bathrooms are awesome.
    -Good selection of different types of food.
    -Although I still ran into the occasional rude person, it seemed like the crowd in general was a lot nicer and more polite than previous years, even when I ventured near the Sahara.
    -Although initially the lineup seemed a bit lackluster, all the sets I saw were fantastic, and it was easily one of the best festival experiences I've had in years.

Cons
    -They still appear to be having difficulties with opening at 11.
    -Although the art was OK, it seems like it gets less interesting each year. I miss the interactive stuff they used to have.
    -Lack of security at some stages. Several people were crowdsurfing during Cloud Nothings and had to have people send them backwards when they got to the front because there was no one there to catch them.
    -The Gobi continues to have lackluster sound. FKA twigs gets overwhelmed by sound bleed from Jack White? That's understandable. But getting sound bleed from Tycho? There were also times when I couldn't hear bands from the front row because the photographers were standing in front of the forward facing speakers.

Cons:

-When leaving the fest, no one working there seemed to know anything about the streets surrounding the fest. They were constantly yelling to ask if we had questions, yet only one out of the five people we asked actually semi knew what they were talking about.
    -The sound in the Gobi seemed off all weekend. I believe it was Glass Animals who started about 10 minutes late due to sound issues. And FKA Twigs sound was pretty off, which is incredibly sad and ruined her show. I also hate how they put the curtains down on that tent, it makes it too hot. Odesza was way too packed there in the beginning as well.
    -The screens on the outdoor and main stage seemed to go off quite a bit during a few shows. Florence and the Machine and Steely Dan are the two that immediately come to mind.
    -Food vendors closed super early this year.
    -I personally didn't like the closed off entrance to the main stage, with the food area getting larger, it pushed everyone trying to leave into two exit paths. (especially since they closed off the whole area before the headliners closed).
    -The beer garden by the Sahara was horrific. So packed and early on.
    -The Sahara was cooler last year with the visual boxes they had rather then just the few screens up front this year.

PROS

-security was great, didn't have to wait in a line over 2 minutes.
    -portapotties were amazing this year, never were out of toilet paper or hand sanitizer and barely had to wait. LOVED the bathroom and water station between main and outdoor stage.
    -Every set I saw (minus 2) were absolutely incredible and full of wonderful energy. Probably the best sets I've seen at Coachella.
    -Do Lab and its location were awesome.
    -Crowd was good minus the occasional rude person. It also seemed like a much younger crowd.
    - I don't know if it was less crowded or something was done with the space but I loved how not packed it felt. Being able to get that close to the outdoor stage was fantastic.
    -I didn't use the permanent bathrooms but my boyfriend said they were fantastic.
    Last edited by alyssaf12; 04-14-2015 at 04:48 PM.

Yuma was awesome, the lineup amazing, the lack of any real line to enter the entire weekend was a bonus. The only thing missing IMO was the great air-conditioning from last year didn't seem to be on and the tent often got extremely hot.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    I want one too!!!!
    It's not about you, gunz!
    Back off war child.

Quote Originally Posted by slots777 View Post
    Yuma was awesome, the lineup amazing, the lack of any real line to enter the entire weekend was a bonus. The only thing missing IMO was the great air-conditioning from last year didn't seem to be on and the tent often got extremely hot.
    Was there a decent sized crowd? Every time I went in there last year it was really uncrowded and it made it kind of weird. The only exception was early in the day when there wasn't much going on and people were just trying to get in on the AC.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

This thread title sounds like the name of an indie band that should be playing the fest.
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by DFrank View Post
    I watched some of Ratatat, and it was underwhelming. Was there anything really that that they offered differently from their previous performances? Honestly, they should have the screens showing the guitarist, that's half of the fun is watching him go crazy on the guitar. The Sahara crowd wasn't expecting to end their night like that.
    I enjoyed the show directly in front of the sound booth. The crowd dispersed pretty quickly which I was happy about. More room to dance. And since I was by myself, I started a little dance group with the other committed loner stragglers. So that was a nice little environment. I agree though, they should have shown the guys jamming out or they themselves should have agreed on that for their display.
    Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    Don't ever use Paul's name again in a posting. YOU GOT THAT YOU STUPID MOTHERFUCKER? Paul was making his bones in the business back when you were just cum in your mother's ear.

Lurker

Pro:
    -It seemed like they filled all of Lot 8 before filling Lot 4. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    -I liked that all the camping activities were more centralized.
    -I also felt as though it wasn't too packed. I wonder if the new pathway from the Sahara to the Terrace alleviated some congestion.
    -Charging stations and outlets seem to be everywhere now.
    -The food was all pretty tasty inside the fest.
    -I thoroughly enjoyed every set I saw all weekend.

Con:
    -I liked the Butterfly/Caterpillar but did it ever move? It seemed it it was stuck in the same position all weekend.
    -The art overall was pretty disappointing compared to 2014, especially after that video hyping the huge budget they had.
    -The craft beer garden was absurdly busy.
    -New toilets were a joke.
    -Not all the camping food was open all weekend, and when it was open, it seemed like they were always out of what I wanted. Maybe just bad luck on my part, but it still sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcowgoesmoo View Post
    Pro:
    -It seemed like they filled all of Lot 8 before filling Lot 4. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Con:
    -I liked the Butterfly/Caterpillar but did it ever move? It seemed it it was stuck in the same position all weekend.
    Wrong and wrong.

Good:
    *Flushable toilets: I personally care for NO special amenities at Coachella, except that the porta potties are a dreadfully unpleasant experience for us women, and thus I'll gladly accept these flushable toilets, which remained miraculously CLEAN all day and night even up till the very end of the weekend. Bravo!
    *Rearranged festival layout did a great job eliminating clusterfucks in general.
    *Cell phone service is better than it was a few years ago, but given the ongoing trend in the Coachella culture (see below), I'm now all for eliminating cell phone service altogether and forcing people to slum it out without technology for 3 days (and I say this as someone who wrote a Coachella app that relies on the internets).
    *Being a Samsung device owner, I don't mind the Samsung tent offering me a freebie of some sort each day (I only discovered it on Sunday last year, and randomly won a free DEVICE; this year I got: $10 gift card, $10 in food vouchers, and $25 in merch).
    *I'm starting to wonder if Yuma is like what Sahara used to be back in the day.

Bad:
    *Predictably, the spring break demographic keeps increasing each year, and this year I estimated it to be at 75%. Coming to terms with this is still a work in progress for me, but it doesn't help that it keeps worsening at a conspicuous rate each year. But anyhow, I use this assumption to explain why any set that has a DJ or a dancey beat of any sort will be ridiculously packed, while the remaining sets will have to compete for the remaining 25%.
    *Aforementioned spring breakers like to blast pretty bad music in campgrounds, late at night, but this has been going on for a while.
    Coachella 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12[1|2], 13[2], 14[2], 15[1], 16[2], 17[2], 18[2]
    Lolla 03, 06, 07, 08
    Outside Lands 08, 10, 11, 12, 17
    Nerd Project:
    www.coacheller.com

Oh my god...... There were some fucks on North 109 that I wanted to fucking kill. This idiot "dj" played the worst god-awful shit til 4 in the morning every night. I almost broke his chicken neck on Friday night I swear to god.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    This thread title sounds like the name of an indie band that should be playing the fest.
    Collaborative project between Damon Albarn and Trent Reznor
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.