Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: The good and the bad of it

Default Re: The good and the bad of it

PROS:
    Yuma tent had a great lineup and had Beds this year!
    Sahara lineup contained a lot of very non-recycled non-mainstream electronic music. Loved this! In with the new!
    Craft Beer area-always a winner
    Screens at mainstage were incredible this year.

CONS:
    Largest disappointed was the art. Complete joke compared to previous years. Bring back moving art and things that are actually halfway interesting.
    Yuma again does not have bathrooms so you don't have to get back in line if you have to leave. SO lame.
    Only a couple of food stands offered vegan food and they were all $15 goddamn dollars. Seriously. WTF.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    What happened?
    Seriously. What gives?

Weekend 1:

Good
    Despacio
    The new screens for the Main were amazing. I really enjoyed the images between sets.
    The enclosed Sahara was kind of nice. Especially during the day.
    The Sahara feels like its transitioning back to the way it was. All the large EDM acts can't fit in there anymore. Seeing 2ManyDJs and Underworld in there was a treat.

Bad
    The only major complaint I had was the guys shower lines. Waiting a while to shower is expected, but walking into an empty shower trailer after waiting an hour sucked. I thought it was a one time issue but every time I walked into a trailer there were multiple empty stalls.

...and you were hoping for a shower buddy?
    Youth, you son of a bitch, where did you go?

Quote Originally Posted by Emma Ocean View Post
    so I assume you've never been cunt punched at a festival? Well lucky you!

Quote Originally Posted by Runlinds View Post
    CONS:
    Largest disappointed was the art. Complete joke compared to previous years. Bring back moving art and things that are actually halfway interesting.
    I could not disagree more strongly. This was the first year I felt the majority of the installations had graduated from the intellectually flimsy world of the Playa and fully into the realm of important contemporary art. Armpit and Katrina Chairs were especially astonishing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Do you guys think they're gonna let Sufjan into the festival with those GUNS?

Good: the shuttles and other transportation options. The amount of organization between the festival and the surrounding communities is amazing. Giving as many options as possible and having less people potentially driving under the influence the better.

Bad: security. The inconsistency between security checkpoints and individual employees is a joke. Friday I opened my backpack and the guy looks at me says have a good time without looking at my bag or putting a hand on me. Saturday I opened my backpack and the lady says put it down I'm checking everything and I don't care how long it takes. She didn't check under my hat so I pointed that out to her kinda sarcastically. Just saying. Everything.

Quote Originally Posted by PulpAffliction View Post
    I could not disagree more strongly. This was the first year I felt the majority of the installations had graduated from the intellectually flimsy world of the Playa and fully into the realm of important contemporary art. Armpit and Katrina Chairs were especially astonishing.
    This is interesting. I do see your point. They definitely seemed to purposefully stray from the usual steam punk and playa inspired pieces which was refreshing. I really liked the Tower of 12 Stories.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Seriously. What gives?
    We got there early Thursday morning & got a spot in lot 8 - North 802nd, to be exact. Our neighbors (as in those we were directly next to) were all awesome. We combined space in the middle of our spots to create a bigger area to set up our chairs/tables to hang out and talk. It was great, we all got along & hung out a lot over the weekend.

We were a couple cars over from a group who came with about 6-7 cars and set up a huge canopy where they would hang out. Totally fine, no complaints - we figured it would be a big group of people, but whatever. Their plan was that they weren't actually camping or sleeping there. They had rented a house nearby and wanted to use the spaces as a place to party before, during, and after the festival. Still, no problem. But what ended up happening each day was, groups of random people would crowd the space and just get obliterated drunk at all hours of the day and night. The noise wasn't so much a problem, and the mess and overflow of people was annoying, but we just put up with it.

Come Saturday afternoon, my wife is talking with our neighbors (3 separate groups with 3 separate coolers, camping supplies, etc.) and they are all talking about how their coolers, alcohol, random supplies, or beer had been stolen. Since I'm pregnant, I wasn't drinking and my wife doesn't drink beer, so we had none. We did have a bottle of rum, though, that my wife was drinking a little here and there. Upon looking in our cooler, it was gone too. Our neighbors then told us that their friends caught guys going through their cooler when they got back Friday night and confronted the guys who left quickly. They recognized them from being with the group of 6-7 cars a few spots over.

Now, the rum that I got my wife was Parrot Bay 90-proof Coconut Rum (yuck, I know - she's a very picky drinker) and I had to get it from Total Wine because its not easy to find. My wife jokingly said, "go see if you can find the empty bottle on their site." I didn't think I would find anything, but since they weren't at their site (since they weren't staying there and would only come to party later in the day), I went to look. Not only did I find the empty bottle, but I also found a BUNCH of broken/beat up miscellaneous empty coolers, empty liquor bottles galore, our neighbors' stolen cooler, and a ton of other ice chests locked up in their vehicles. These fuckers were stealing alcohol and ice chests from campsites and using it to fuel their random drunkards.

We locked everything of value up in our car after that, but when we came back Sunday afternoon, we found our coolers moved & our containers full of our dry food rummaged through. These motherfuckers were still going around looking through everyone's shit for anything they could find. It was violating and frustrating. We almost just said "fuck it" and drove home Sunday night to get the fuck out of there, but we were so tired that we decided to lock EVERYTHING in one of our cars and just get a couple hours of sleep before hitting the road.

In 7 years, I haven't had a thing taken from our site... It was really disappointing.
    Quote Originally Posted by alpha_q_up View Post
    a cunt punt is always the best solution to cure someone of their bitchassness
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    You can't go in until late on the first day because you can't hang?
    You giant pussy.

Damn, that does suck. Sadly, this kind of thing will likely happen more & more as the festival grows.

Yeah, I know... which is why we are just going to get a house or something and stay offsite in the future...
    Bums me out so much, because I've always loved camping there. Thursday has always been such a fun day & meeting new people every year.
    Amy says it feels like "the end of an era" haha. She's sew gheeeeey
    Quote Originally Posted by alpha_q_up View Post
    a cunt punt is always the best solution to cure someone of their bitchassness
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    You can't go in until late on the first day because you can't hang?
    You giant pussy.

Quote Originally Posted by ELIZA83TH View Post
    Yeah, I know... which is why we are just going to get a house or something and stay offsite in the future...
    Bums me out so much, because I've always loved camping there. Thursday has always been such a fun day & meeting new people every year.
    Amy says it feels like "the end of an era" haha. She's sew gheeeeey
    From somebody who has done camping, house, and hotel now, we far prefer hotel. The ease of the shuttle system is shockingly good, and honestly we had a house 20 minutes walk from the festival for a few years, but then you have to walk through the campsite for 20 minutes and it's therefore 40-45 minute door to door, walking in the heat the whole time. The hotel was 20 minute drive away, but we never waited for a shuttle, and then only 8-10 minute walk from drop off point to getting inside the festival itself. So shorter, more comfortable, and easier.

The hotel was 50% Coachella, it seemed like, most of them couples. If you go to the pool during the day, you'll have the same experience of getting to meet people (both on the chairs and in the pool) that are going to Coachella, just older, nicer people. There were some college groups but it was mainly couples in their 20s, 30s, and early 40s.

We absolutely loved it. The house is fun if you have a giant group, but the ease of the shuttle system and the ability to meet people if you choose makes the hotel a better fit for us. (Talking about those booked through Valley Music Travel. If you book cheaper hotel on your own, probably still Coachella people but then add the logistics of getting to the shuttle pick up stop vs. just walking out your hotel door and having it sit there).

I've had a cooler stolen before but I still see myself camping for the foreseeable future. I just hide my coolers now and haven't had an issue...

I share some of people's complaints when it comes to car camping regarding noise/idiots but I love the convenience of being able to walk right in. I've stayed off-site in a house my first two years (before the shuttle service) and getting up in the morning and getting a crew to get moving to be able to see the 1 act that I want to see at noon is near impossible. Granted, if you have your own car, then that's fine, you can leave when you want. Or if you just want to jump on the shuttle coming from a hotel and meet your crew later, even better.

But to me, nothing beats waking up on the grounds already. Walking in and not having to adhere to anyone's schedule but your own. If I do anything drastic, I may splurge for the Safari when I can afford it. That way I'm even closer to seeing music.

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    I've had a cooler stolen before but I still see myself camping for the foreseeable future. I just hide my coolers now and haven't had an issue...

I share some of people's complaints when it comes to car camping regarding noise/idiots but I love the convenience of being able to walk right in. I've stayed off-site in a house my first two years (before the shuttle service) and getting up in the morning and getting a crew to get moving to be able to see the 1 act that I want to see at noon is near impossible. Granted, if you have your own car, then that's fine, you can leave when you want. Or if you just want to jump on the shuttle coming from a hotel and meet your crew later, even better.

But to me, nothing beats waking up on the grounds already. Walking in and not having to adhere to anyone's schedule but your own. If I do anything drastic, I may splurge for the Safari when I can afford it. That way I'm even closer to seeing music.
    Couldn't agree more with your comment "not having to wait for anyone"
    I used to have to wait for other people to get out of bed before we would jam...would drive me crazy when I wanted to see a 12pm-2pm show...
    it was always, 'Dude, why do you want to get there so early? Slow down there's no rush? Damn, come on I want to sleep some more." And EVERY time I'd drag them out of bed and we'd get to the fest they'd have a blast, but getting their ass going sucked.
    This year...it was..."I'm jamming in one hour" ...didn't give a damn if they got up or not...stress gone
    Just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this…and totally redeem yourself!
    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    she should get an abortion then go to chella
    Quote Originally Posted by Bougie24 View Post
    You people are disgusting for posting this shit on my thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Look up your moms skirt when she is dancing

Good:
    The art this year was great, the yellow chairs were amazing with the mountain backdrops behind, and the BESAME MUCHO is a great message to send and also looked great. I hope this style of art continues into the future. Its actually just part of the festival that can be enjoyed from close up AND from a distance.
    Much less EDM on the lineup this year, which meant more proper shows in the Sahara. Hope this trend continues.
    Sia not headlining was great. Loved her show, and got very emotional before finishing up the night with Maceo Plex in the Yuma. Sunday night programming has been spot on for 2 years now. Drag all the EDM whores and general assholes to the main stage for the final show and let the rest of us party properly.
    Food - best festival food you will have anywhere. Variety and genral quality and care taken in food prep is far better than you see at any other festival.

Bad:
    Fucking assholes in the campsite that pump their shit EDM dubstep til 3am... seriously why arent there rules in place to stop this from happening. We werent super close to any of them, but with ear plugs in could still hear them.
    Are we almost at a point where there is just WAY too much electronic music on the schedule? I know its a sign of the times, but fuck me, Disclosure playing for their 3rd time in 4 years, in that time slot? Theres so many great bands I am still yet to see that tour the states but never come to Australia, but there just isnt enough room for them on these Nu-EDM heavy lineups.
    Outdoor stage sound weekend 2. Beach House sounded shithouse week 2. Could hardly hear Rhye with sound bleed. Something has gotta give with that stage. Its fucking terrible.
    Also they need another bar on the other side of the outdoor stage.
    Do-lab was dissapointing this year. After landing Mandy and Bonobo last year, we had.... um stanton warriors who played a Nu-Edm set and Lee Foss who was okay, but also was definitely playing to the masses. I was hoping they were going get more tech heavy but didnt happen unfortuantely.
    CATS PISS HEINEKEN - SERIOUSLY GET FUCKED!!!!

What is "Nu-EDM"?

Quote Originally Posted by svenflauge View Post
    Good:
    The art this year was great, the yellow chairs were amazing with the mountain backdrops behind, and the BESAME MUCHO is a great message to send and also looked great. I hope this style of art continues into the future. Its actually just part of the festival that can be enjoyed from close up AND from a distance.
    Much less EDM on the lineup this year, which meant more proper shows in the Sahara. Hope this trend continues.
    Sia not headlining was great. Loved her show, and got very emotional before finishing up the night with Maceo Plex in the Yuma. Sunday night programming has been spot on for 2 years now. Drag all the EDM whores and general assholes to the main stage for the final show and let the rest of us party properly.
    Food - best festival food you will have anywhere. Variety and genral quality and care taken in food prep is far better than you see at any other festival.

Bad:
    Fucking assholes in the campsite that pump their shit EDM dubstep til 3am... seriously why arent there rules in place to stop this from happening. We werent super close to any of them, but with ear plugs in could still hear them.
    Are we almost at a point where there is just WAY too much electronic music on the schedule? I know its a sign of the times, but fuck me, Disclosure playing for their 3rd time in 4 years, in that time slot? Theres so many great bands I am still yet to see that tour the states but never come to Australia, but there just isnt enough room for them on these Nu-EDM heavy lineups.
    Outdoor stage sound weekend 2. Beach House sounded shithouse week 2. Could hardly hear Rhye with sound bleed. Something has gotta give with that stage. Its fucking terrible.
    Also they need another bar on the other side of the outdoor stage.
    Do-lab was dissapointing this year. After landing Mandy and Bonobo last year, we had.... um stanton warriors who played a Nu-Edm set and Lee Foss who was okay, but also was definitely playing to the masses. I was hoping they were going get more tech heavy but didnt happen unfortuantely.
    CATS PISS HEINEKEN - SERIOUSLY GET FUCKED!!!!
    I think you're usuing Nu-EDM incorrectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Electrotek View Post
    What is "Nu-EDM"?
    Its effectively EDM disguised as "alternative" music.
    Think disclosure, zhu, grimes,